Moving an Exchange Server to a new office, different subnet and IP

I need to find the simplest way to move an exchange server to a new
location, with the least amount of down time.

1 thought is to create a redundat server at the new location, replicate
the data in then take down old, ship to the new location, and bring it
back up, then probobly taking one down, or making one a front-end, the
othe a back-end.  The new location is already linked in over a WAN,
however they are on a different subnet

At this point I am very open to suggestions, any will do

Thank you for your time...

How fast is your WAN?  How much data do you have to move?  What do you
mean"replicate the data"?

If you have the WAN connectivity a mailbox move might work well as it will
take care of modifying the profiles for your users.

Nue
"Joe" <josiah.munson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to find the simplest way to move an exchange server to a new
> location, with the least amount of down time.
>
> 1 thought is to create a redundat server at the new location, replicate
> the data in then take down old, ship to the new location, and bring it
> back up, then probobly taking one down, or making one a front-end, the
> othe a back-end.  The new location is already linked in over a WAN,
> however they are on a different subnet
>

> At this point I am very open to suggestions, any will do
>
> Thank you for your time...

0
imaneophyte (3004)
5/4/2006 11:36:16 PM
My WAN isn't to fast..a T-1. I need to move about 115GB.  Replicate the
data, I mean setting up some type of site replication to get the data
accross to the other site.

Is shipping the box to the remote site an option? Change the IP address once
it gets there, and place it in the appropriate Routing Group(s) if required.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Joe" <josiah.munson@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I need to find the simplest way to move an exchange server to a new
> location, with the least amount of down time.
>
> 1 thought is to create a redundat server at the new location, replicate
> the data in then take down old, ship to the new location, and bring it
> back up, then probobly taking one down, or making one a front-end, the
> othe a back-end.  The new location is already linked in over a WAN,
> however they are on a different subnet
>

> At this point I am very open to suggestions, any will do
>
> Thank you for your time...

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
5/5/2006 12:29:23 AM
There is no mechanism to do this type of replication included with the
Windows or Exchange.  The way I see if you have 3 options.

1. Pack up the server and ship it overnight.
2. Set up a server across the WAN and use "Move Mailbox" to move the
users across the WAN.  With this amount of data across a T1, I estimate
you might move 600 MB per hour, so it will take quite some time.
3. Use a third party product to replicate your server locally, then
ship second server, then continue the replication once it is on the
other side of the WAN.  You can then move users to the other side of
the WAN in 5 minutes.  LifeKeeper for Exchange from SteelEye Technology
can handle this.

David Bermingham
MCSE, MCSA:Messaging
www.SteelEye.com

Exchange in SBS2003 R2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

open two different Access reports

Delegates for SBS2003 Exchange

Relay from unstruted server

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Microsoft Exchange Server

Setting up a new e-mail account

Add PowerPoint 2007 to Office Basic

Relay Servers?

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Mailboxsize is different
hi! i've got a crazy problem. when you look at the mailboxes in the exchange system manager, then you see, e.g. user xy with 220 mb mailboxsize. but when you look at the outlook, then the mailbox size is only 150 mb. but there are no filters or something else activated. and the problem is on the local outlook and on the terminalserver outlook. i hope someone has a solution about my problem. thanks. stefan ...

2 Domains, 1 Exchange Server