Move / Migrate Mail

I currently have my Exchange server hosted off site.
I am looking to move this in house, of course I don't own the hardware the
server is currently on.

So I will be building a new server.

The current server (hosted) is in its own domain - I did not make this but I
have to support it-, I have duplicate accounts for email, plus some only
email accounts.  I am looking for suggestions to accomplish this task.

My idea was to add all the user accounts that are currently 'email only' to
my domain so all my accounts match....  Make my Exchange server and
mailboxes.  Then should I use exmerge to move the mail from one Exchange to
another or is there a migration option to complete this?

0
adam1685 (340)

I would think that your approach is OK given your current situation. Setup
accounts and mailboxes as you say, make sure your authoritative for the
domain and email addresses get stamped on the acounts. Exmerge contents out
of the old Exchange server and into the new mailboxes. Switch DNS to point
to your new Exchange server and then do one final exmerge to get the last
few emails from the old Exchange server.

Nue
"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I currently have my Exchange server hosted off site.
> I am looking to move this in house, of course I don't own the hardware the
> server is currently on.
>
> So I will be building a new server.
>
> The current server (hosted) is in its own domain - I did not make this but
> have to support it-, I have duplicate accounts for email, plus some only
> email accounts.  I am looking for suggestions to accomplish this task.
>
> My idea was to add all the user accounts that are currently 'email only'
> my domain so all my accounts match....  Make my Exchange server and
> mailboxes.  Then should I use exmerge to move the mail from one Exchange
> another or is there a migration option to complete this?

0
imaneophyte (3004)
5/24/2006 7:18:55 PM
Thanks,

I was thinking of switching my DNS before I do the exmerge..  Users could
use new server as exmerge moves old mail.  Not sure if that would be more or
a nuisance to the users.  "where is all my mail.... " This would be weekened
work so the yelling should be a mininmal.  This way I only need to exchmerge
the data out once.

"Nuevo" wrote:

> I would think that your approach is OK given your current situation. Setup
> accounts and mailboxes as you say, make sure your authoritative for the
> domain and email addresses get stamped on the acounts. Exmerge contents out
> of the old Exchange server and into the new mailboxes. Switch DNS to point
> to your new Exchange server and then do one final exmerge to get the last
> few emails from the old Exchange server.
>
> Nue
> "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I currently have my Exchange server hosted off site.
> > I am looking to move this in house, of course I don't own the hardware the
> > server is currently on.
> >
> > So I will be building a new server.
> >
> > The current server (hosted) is in its own domain - I did not make this but
> > have to support it-, I have duplicate accounts for email, plus some only
> > email accounts.  I am looking for suggestions to accomplish this task.
> >
> > My idea was to add all the user accounts that are currently 'email only'
> > my domain so all my accounts match....  Make my Exchange server and
> > mailboxes.  Then should I use exmerge to move the mail from one Exchange
> > another or is there a migration option to complete this?

0
adam1685 (340)
5/24/2006 7:36:01 PM
When you do exmerge is really dependent on your users pain threshold. If it
is high then a one time dump at the end of the process should work. If it is
low I'd suggest the two pronged approach.

> Thanks,
>
> I was thinking of switching my DNS before I do the exmerge..  Users could
> use new server as exmerge moves old mail.  Not sure if that would be more
> or
> a nuisance to the users.  "where is all my mail.... " This would be
> weekened
> work so the yelling should be a mininmal.  This way I only need to
> exchmerge
> the data out once.
>
> "Nuevo" wrote:
>
>> I would think that your approach is OK given your current situation.
>> Setup
>> accounts and mailboxes as you say, make sure your authoritative for the
>> domain and email addresses get stamped on the acounts. Exmerge contents
>> out
>> of the old Exchange server and into the new mailboxes. Switch DNS to
>> point
>> to your new Exchange server and then do one final exmerge to get the last
>> few emails from the old Exchange server.
>>
>> Nue
>> "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I currently have my Exchange server hosted off site.
>> > I am looking to move this in house, of course I don't own the hardware
>> > the
>> > server is currently on.
>> >
>> > So I will be building a new server.
>> >
>> > The current server (hosted) is in its own domain - I did not make this
>> > but
>> > have to support it-, I have duplicate accounts for email, plus some
>> > only
>> > email accounts.  I am looking for suggestions to accomplish this task.
>> >
>> > My idea was to add all the user accounts that are currently 'email
>> > only'
>> > my domain so all my accounts match....  Make my Exchange server and
>> > mailboxes.  Then should I use exmerge to move the mail from one
>> > Exchange
>> > another or is there a migration option to complete this?

0
imaneophyte (3004)

Mails are being send without colors and table structure destroyed
Dear All, I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003. My other office products are of Office 2000. Word 2003 is not there on my PC and therefore the option to use it is disabled. Now how to use Microsoft Word 2000 as the mail editor? I am facing some strange problems with Outlook 2003. I composed a outage notice in Word 200 with table structure and colouring. I pasted the same in mail and send it. The mail send was in a format where table structure completely destroyed, all the words are not well aligned and the e-mail is not in colors. I able to see it structured in the send folder but it is not gett...

Is there a way to see if someone is reading another persons e-mail
We think that someone in the company might be reading other peoples e-mail. Is there software or a tool that we can run to monitor and see if this is happening? Thanks Greg ...

synchronizing new e-mail ( headers only option)
Hello. there is an option to synchronize mail full message or header only or new message in outlook express. I just want to synchronize Headers of new e-mail only wheni check for new e-mail..( you know there is so much spam now ad ays..i just do't want to open any new e-mail in my e-mail inbox until i know it is not spam...) please reply with a solution. Thanks. rao You can use an IMAP account in OE to accomplish this. Please note, This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting...

Mail to
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01CB271D.ECE0A030 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Using ie8, xp pro sp3, fully patched. When right clicking a .jpg = picture and selecting "Send to mail recipient" I no long get the box to = reduce picture size. I hope someone can help me restore this function. = In the past I did see someone post a fix. I THINK it was run something. Thanks for any help. Ken A ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01CB271D.ECE0A030 Content-Type: text/...

Exchange to capture pop3 outgoing mail
it is possible to capture all outgoing emails on Exchange if the client is using pop3. it is very important that I’m able to capture a copy of all outgoing email. So I would set outlook to use the exchange server as the outgoing smtp server. Thanks, Steve Louie On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:21:05 -0700, Steve Louie <SteveLouie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >it is possible to capture all outgoing emails on Exchange if the client is >using pop3. it is very important that I�m able to capture a copy of all >outgoing email. So I would set outlook to use the exchange serve...

Error message in windows mail 12-21-09
I just set up my account and the existing messages imported fine, but when I try to send mail I get the following error: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'new e-mail', Account: 'mail.td-wm.com', Server: 'mail.td-wm.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Please help. Double check that all your account settings are correct. If they are, then e-mail scanning is a likely...

Auto-response e-mail: Generate auto-response e-mail to
How to set-up next feature Auto-response e-mail: Generate auto-response e-mail to customer requests. (MS CRM Overview from MBS site) Ed I have not seen an auto-response feature in CRM. "ed" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0bac01c3b4e3$2ca0d6e0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > How to set-up next feature > Auto-response e-mail: Generate auto-response e-mail to > customer requests. (MS CRM Overview from MBS site) > ...

can,t find my e-mail address
please help reply thank you "dc columbus robbins" <robbinsnest@localnet.com> wrote in message news:eJFE6ktBIHA.324@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > please help reply thank you This newsgroup is for questions and answers about Microsoft Access database software. You need to find a newsgroup for the software you are using. And, just for your information, you have to be a great deal more specific about what you are doing, and what is happening, if you expect anyone to be able to give you a helpful answer. "Can't find my e-mail address" doesn't tell ...

mail failure
am trying to mail one page from excel 2007 but keep getting message 'check mail installation'. have tried suggestions on the help site without success. am using windows 7, is this compatibility issue. ...

Outlook 98 e-mails not going to sent items.
This is a weird problem from my behalf, when i send an e-mial no matter to who, the e-mail does not go to the sent items folder. Can anyone help out, thank you. Marcel. ...

Upgrade Win2K DCs before upgrade/migrate to E2K3 ?
We have a Win2K-only domain with 2 DCs, 1 Ex2K server and 1 subnet. About 200 users. We're thinking of upgrading to Win2K3/E2K3, but we're not sure whether to upgrade the domain controllers first or last, with respect to the Exchange Server. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. Hi jdee, You should upgrade your DCs to Windows 2003 first, just make sure your Exchange Server/s are running at least Exchange 2000 SP3. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "jdee" <jdee@trunk.net> wrote in message new...

Allow html and images in e-mail templates
---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=7833001c-d399-42a3-a109-583a5ef9167d&dg=microsoft.public.crm Richer e-mail template tools (and ones that are easier for...

can not insert a mail model in a compaign mail activity ?
Hello, When I am trying to send a simple mail, I can insert an email template. but when I plan a compaign based on mailing I can't make an email based on template ... So what what should I do to enable this functionality knowing that it's very intersting ability in a CRM Thanks in advance ...

Still have problems sending mail
I have Exchange Server 2003 running on a Win2000 server. Everything has been going fine for the last year and a half. Within the last two weeks, there are about 4 or 5 domains that we cannot send mail to, one of those is cablerocket.com. I have done research on MS web site, I can telnet to cablerockets mail server, do nslookup and all that. But the emails just don't go through. They hang in the queue on my server with a message at the bottom that says "An SMTP protocal error occurred". I've been working off and on this for about two weeks and have come up with nothing...

Windows Mail
I have recently got Windows Mail. I keep getting a message saying to create an association for the program I am trying to open, (Microsoft Powerpoint). Windows Vista. I can get into Set Associations, but dont know what to do after that. Help You really should have opened your own thread . . . . . Go to Start - Default Programs - Set Your Default Programs - see list of programs on left - select Windows Mail - on right, just below the "pane", you should see "This program has all its defaults". If not, select the second green arrow at bottom, "Choose d...

E-mail Account
I am able to connect to Exchange my exchange 2003 server (on server 2003 standard) using the email account "Microsoft Exchange Server". To verify that I am connected I click on "Check name" and both the server name and username are underlined. However once I open Outlook 2003 Outlook is very slow and doesn't repond very well. I try to send an e-mail and it sits in the outbox and messages that are on my exchange server in outlook web access aren't downloaded. If I try send/receive Outlook locks up and even sometime says (not responding). Outlook eventual...

Outlook won't let me delete e-mail
I'm using Outlook 2002. Every time I try to delete an item, it tells me "Errors have been detected in the file ...outlook.pst. Quit all mail-enable applications, then use the Inbox Repair Tool." So I go and use the Inbox Repair Tool, SCANPST. I scan outlook.pst (n errors come up), re-open Outlook, try to delete an item and get th same error message. Can someone help ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Can you delete them if you hold shift-delet...

Creating a e-mail contact list which has "undisclosed recipients"
Can anyone help me with a contact list for my e-mail which does not disclose all recipients names. I would like to send an e-mail regarding company information to several people which answers questions, but I don't want everyone to know who I am addressing it to. You need enter the names under the Bcc option when you address the email. That way, each recipient will only see their own name, but the email will go to everyone. Actually, the recipients won't see their own name in the To field. They will only see what the sender puts there, if anything (some ISPs require that you...

name appearing in the outgoing mail
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop I would like to change the way the name in each of my accounts shows up in sent emails. I have changed the account settings but the old name still shows up. Any suggestions? <br> Thanks. On 2010-05-04 16:45:26 -0400, Bila@officeformac.com said: > I would like to change the way the name in each of my accounts shows up > in sent emails. I have changed the account settings but the old name > still shows up. Any suggestions? Well if you have indeed changed the name prop...

Reading mail in Outlook Express
Hi, Whenever I open outlook express I have no problem downloading the messages, but when I try to read them either in the preview panel or opening them in a new window nothing shows up. There is just a blank space almost like they didn't send a message. When I put my mouse pointer over the message, the icon that tells me the computer is working shows up. Thanks for any help Kyle Hi, Kyle.... This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will proba...

E-Mail Templates in Outlook 2003
Hi All, Is there a way that we can personalise email templates in Outlook 2003? For example, in the e-mail template we want to have "Dear person'sname" rather than addressing everyone in the same way "Dear pariticpant". If there isnt a way, could anyone recommend how they are working around this issue? this is a really important feature that we require. Will outlook 2007 support personalised email templates? thankyou, Maria K. you need to use mail merge. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for ...

a program is trying to access e-mail addresses you Stored n Outlook
Hi - After installing Acrobat Standard 6.0, when I try to send an email message using Word or any other program, I get an Outlook message saying "a program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook". The only choices I get are to allow access for one instance or for a short period of time. What I want to do is to ALWAYS allow Word, PowerPoint, Excel and ACT to access my Outlook e-mail addresses. I went to the Office Service Pack 3 page, which said "To prevent the PDFMaker COM Addin from loading, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Offi...

Migrating E5.5 Mailboxes with ADC created disabled accounts to to E2K3
I am getting to the end of my migration but still have all the resource mailboxes with ADC generated diabled accounts in AD to migrate. I'm not sure how to proceed with this. Can I just enable the accounts in AD migrate the mailbox and disable it again or do I have to create a whole new account in AD delete the ADC generated account and re-attached the new account to the mailbox in E5.5 then migrate it to E2K3? You can use the accounts it created. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "JoeAHM" <joseph.gonzalez@a...

Can't reach my extern mail.
We work with a LAN-connection on Microsoft Exhange Server but I can't reach my extern E-mails. Help me please ! ...

How do I activate the new mail button