Move mailboxes from exchange 5.5 to 2003

One of my clients are using NT4 with Outlook 98 against an external Exchange
5.5
They have no admin rights on the 5.5 server.

They are now moving all users to XP with Outlook 2003 and an own Exchange
2003 (different domain)

Is it possible to use some "move mailbox" wizard? How?

or...

Should every NT4/Outlook98/Ex5.5 user export their mail to a .pst file and
then at their new XP/Outlook 2003/ import the .pst with Outlook into
Exchange 2003?

About 20-25 users.

Tomppa

0
tofors99 (51)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:04:26 +0300, "Tommy Forsman"
<tofors99@hotmail.com> wrote:

>One of my clients are using NT4 with Outlook 98 against an external Exchange
>5.5
>They have no admin rights on the 5.5 server.
>
>They are now moving all users to XP with Outlook 2003 and an own Exchange
>2003 (different domain)
>
>Is it possible to use some "move mailbox" wizard? How?
>
>or...
>
>Should every NT4/Outlook98/Ex5.5 user export their mail to a .pst file and
>then at their new XP/Outlook 2003/ import the .pst with Outlook into
>Exchange 2003?
>
>About 20-25 users.
>
>Tomppa

You don't need to export to PST files. You can implement a new server
and migrate the mailboxes and public folder information seamlessly.
see www.microsoft.com/exchange for the planning guides that will take
you through what you need to do a migration from NT4 to AD and 5.5 to
2003.
0
mark7219 (5666)
6/17/2005 8:23:25 AM
Hi Mark

Could you kindly point me in the right direction? I have trouble finding
relevant information on www.microsoft.com/exchange

Info:
Clients (OL98) are connected to an External Exchange 5.5 in another city
We have no admin rights to the Exchange server
We have a new AD, and an own new Exchange server up and running

Goal:
To move users mail from 5.5 to our own Ex2003. At the same time Clients are
changing to OL2003.

Please help more.

Tomppa

> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:04:26 +0300, "Tommy Forsman"
> <tofors99@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>One of my clients are using NT4 with Outlook 98 against an external
>>Exchange
>>5.5
>>They have no admin rights on the 5.5 server.
>>
>>They are now moving all users to XP with Outlook 2003 and an own Exchange
>>2003 (different domain)
>>
>>Is it possible to use some "move mailbox" wizard? How?
>>
>>or...
>>
>>Should every NT4/Outlook98/Ex5.5 user export their mail to a .pst file and
>>then at their new XP/Outlook 2003/ import the .pst with Outlook into
>>Exchange 2003?
>>
>>About 20-25 users.
>>
>>Tomppa
>>
> You don't need to export to PST files. You can implement a new server
> and migrate the mailboxes and public folder information seamlessly.
> see www.microsoft.com/exchange for the planning guides that will take
> you through what you need to do a migration from NT4 to AD and 5.5 to
> 2003.

0
tofors99 (51)
6/17/2005 9:21:08 AM
"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>You don't need to export to PST files. You can implement a new server
>and migrate the mailboxes and public folder information seamlessly.
>see www.microsoft.com/exchange for the planning guides that will take
>you through what you need to do a migration from NT4 to AD and 5.5 to
>2003.

I think he's asking about a migration from one Exchange organization
to another, and he has no admin access in the organization that's got
the mail right now.

I think the export, by the users, to PST fles is probably the easiest
thing to do, unless he can convince the other organization to ExMerge
the mailboxes and sent him the PSTs.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

I did the export/import thing with pst files this weekend.

Thanks

Tomppa

> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
>>You don't need to export to PST files. You can implement a new server
>>and migrate the mailboxes and public folder information seamlessly.
>>see www.microsoft.com/exchange for the planning guides that will take
>>you through what you need to do a migration from NT4 to AD and 5.5 to
>>2003.
>
> I think he's asking about a migration from one Exchange organization
> to another, and he has no admin access in the organization that's got
> the mail right now.
>
> I think the export, by the users, to PST fles is probably the easiest
> thing to do, unless he can convince the other organization to ExMerge
> the mailboxes and sent him the PSTs.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP