Move Exchange 5.5 from NT to a new domain

Hi

I have to move an Exchange 5.5 server from an NT4 member server in an
NT4 domain, to a Windows 2000 member server in a Windows 2003 domain.
Upgrading to Exchange 2003 will only happen next year.
The servers will have different names as will the domains, obviously.
It is a small site with a single Exchange site/server.
I would also prefer to change the service account name and password,
although I can keep it the same in both sites for now.
The amount of duplicate messages is large and therefore I would prefer
not to use Exmerge.
We have a staging server that I can use (or even two if it must),
although the final installation will end up on the same physical
machine it is currently on (by then upgraded to Windows 2000)

Any ideas?

If I setup trusts between the two domains, can I join the new server
to the Exchange site and use the Mailbox Move method?
I've read the Richard Roddy method, but since I have a staging server
there must be an easier way. It would be nice to have the original
server to fall back on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
James
0
p35b (7)

On 30 Nov 2004 22:56:02 -0800, p35b@hotmail.com (James Wilson) wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have to move an Exchange 5.5 server from an NT4 member server in an
>NT4 domain, to a Windows 2000 member server in a Windows 2003 domain.
>Upgrading to Exchange 2003 will only happen next year.
>The servers will have different names as will the domains, obviously.
>It is a small site with a single Exchange site/server.
>I would also prefer to change the service account name and password,
>although I can keep it the same in both sites for now.
>The amount of duplicate messages is large and therefore I would prefer
>not to use Exmerge.
>We have a staging server that I can use (or even two if it must),
>although the final installation will end up on the same physical
>machine it is currently on (by then upgraded to Windows 2000)
>
>Any ideas?
>
>If I setup trusts between the two domains, can I join the new server
>to the Exchange site and use the Mailbox Move method?
>I've read the Richard Roddy method, but since I have a staging server
>there must be an easier way. It would be nice to have the original
>server to fall back on.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Regards
>James

There is an old, old document to help here:
http://www.exchangefaq.org/faq/Exchange-5.5/How-to:-Move-a-Microsoft-Exchange-5.5-Site-to-a-new-NT-domain-/sectionID/1018
It ought to be ok to go from an NT4 domain to an AD domain since
Exchange isn't AD aware and still talks to the PDCE.
0
mark7219 (5666)
12/1/2004 10:35:04 AM
Thanks Mark

Shouldn't I rather use the "Ed Crowley Server Move Method"?
(http://www.exchangefaq.org/faq/Exchange-5.5/The-Ed-Crowley-Server-Move-Method/sectionID/1008)

Would the Ed Crowley method work if the servers are in different
domains? (NT4 vs Windows 2003 AD)

It seems that (if it works) the Ed Crowley method, combined with a
two-way trust relationship between the domains,  would have the
following benefits:
1 - It would allow me to move during the working day
2 - I could run back to the original really quickly if needed
3 - I could change the service account up front
4 - I'm not manually changing access rights or ownerships, or copying
files

I'm planning on keeping the same organisation / site names; although
the server name will change.

What do you think?

Regards
James

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<6h7rq09gklp4bit8iehja5f1op9e8ct7et@4ax.com>...
> On 30 Nov 2004 22:56:02 -0800, p35b@hotmail.com (James Wilson) wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I have to move an Exchange 5.5 server from an NT4 member server in an
> >NT4 domain, to a Windows 2000 member server in a Windows 2003 domain.
> >Upgrading to Exchange 2003 will only happen next year.
> >The servers will have different names as will the domains, obviously.
> >It is a small site with a single Exchange site/server.
> >I would also prefer to change the service account name and password,
> >although I can keep it the same in both sites for now.
> >The amount of duplicate messages is large and therefore I would prefer
> >not to use Exmerge.
> >We have a staging server that I can use (or even two if it must),
> >although the final installation will end up on the same physical
> >machine it is currently on (by then upgraded to Windows 2000)
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >If I setup trusts between the two domains, can I join the new server
> >to the Exchange site and use the Mailbox Move method?
> >I've read the Richard Roddy method, but since I have a staging server
> >there must be an easier way. It would be nice to have the original
> >server to fall back on.
> >
> >Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >Regards
> >James
>
> There is an old, old document to help here:
> http://www.exchangefaq.org/faq/Exchange-5.5/How-to:-Move-a-Microsoft-Exchange-5.5-Site-to-a-new-NT-domain-/sectionID/1018
> It ought to be ok to go from an NT4 domain to an AD domain since
> Exchange isn't AD aware and still talks to the PDCE.
0
p35b (7)

CRM Email account for Exchange has thousands of emails in it.
Is it normal for Exchange to store all emails sent to the CRM email account used for the Exchange router? Do I need to do something in CRM or more likely Exchange to purge these? We have a client that has 7000 emails in it after a couple months. -- Thanks, Brian The emails in the CRM email account should be auto-purged. No user intervention is required. On the Exhange box, - Check that the CRM-Exchange Email Router Service is started - Check the Event log. Thanks for this. So now I have found the the email address set up in when installing the CRM Exchange router is wrong...

Any Help documentation for Exchange 2007?
E2k7' help button gives 'Cannot display Help' Technical details: HC not found. (MS.OSSADMIN.manifest , 1033) Did I miss something? Not all the help is completed in the Beta 2 release. "Prem" <premmetje@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:1161634519.758601.285030@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > E2k7' help button gives 'Cannot display Help' Technical details: HC not > found. (MS.OSSADMIN.manifest , 1033) > Did I miss something? > ...

Searching emails for a specific domain name
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: pop Entourage doesn't seem to allow me to seek an email with a specific domain name. The choice &quot;from&quot; only seems to include a person's name, not their domain site. Why doesn't the &quot;from&quot; feature extend to the domain itself? Thanks for the help! <lindafine@ameritech.net> wrote: > Entourage doesn't seem to allow me to seek an email with a specific > domain name. The choice &quot;from&quot; only seems to include a > ...

Signature #5
Hello; We are running Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. The question is on the signature's. Is there a way to make it so that the signature gets applied on outgoing e-mails and not internal? Thanks Lee >Is there a way to make it >so that the signature gets applied on outgoing e-mails >and not internal? Not automatically, but it's easy enough to do manually with a modicum of personal discipline. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't sp...

Exchange Crash -- all we have is the ispriv.edb file
Hello all -- A client of mine never did any exchange 2003 backups, but did copy over the ispriv.edb file over to an external USB harddrive. All we want to do is pull the email out of that directory (8GB file) and put it into .pst files. Then, Ill reinstall Exchange, and open each person's mail box and copy the contents of each .PST file back to the server. My question is: If I only have the ISPRIV.EDB file, how do I get mail out of it ? Is there some super cool easy to use tool for this? ;-) Any help appreciated!! Sincerely, Blake http://wm.quest.com/products/recoverymanage...

Move a single org chart shape
This is a simple question (I hope). I am trying to reduce the vertical space between the shapes at the top of my organizational chart. If I try to move or nudge any one of these shapes, all of the shapes below it also move thus making it impossible to close the gap. If I try using the "change spacing" feature, it rearranges all of the shapes in my chart. Any advice would be greatley appreciated. Claudia The change spacing feature has several options, one of which is the Selected Shape. That should allow you to change the spacing for that shape only. So, i...

Locking down relaying in Exchange 2000
Hello All, I have searched this newsgroup for recommendations for shutting down the open relay capabilities in Exchange Server 2000. I ran the relay test from a site recommended in a previous post in this group: http://msv.dk/ This test ran and the following are the failures listed from the test. Note: The Ip address, Servername, and domain name have been changed to protect the ignorant (me). Can anyone explain how each of these failures were caused, and even more importantly, how to block them, if, in fact, they are true failures? At the time of this test, the test did not check for ful...

Move to VS 2005
I have a VC++, MFC, OpenGL app of about 7 MB of source code and I feel rumblings about the need to move to VS2005. Just for fun, and some scar tissue, I installed VB Express and loaded up a simple VB6 utility the package includes. Looks like some major rewrite required. Question(s): How difficult is it to move from VS6, VC++, MFC, OpenGL to VS 2005? We would move to Team Edition or Professional as a minimum. Mike B. > I have a VC++, MFC, OpenGL app of about 7 MB of source code and I feel > rumblings about the need to move to VS2005. Just for fun, and some > scar tissue, I insta...

New Workbook Path
Thought I would make a comment ... Did you know there is no Path property for a New Workbook ??!!! Of course the Path property is empty for a new workbook. What would it be? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "exceluserforeman" <exceluserforeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE28F767-7B5A-433F-9463-A5228572CCB1@microsoft.com... > Thought I would make a comment ... > > Did you know there is no Path property for a New Workbook ??!!! > > > > Thank you for your...

My excel file is too large (5 mb) when it shouldn't be, why?
I have an excel file has ballooned in size for some reason. I have tried to copy all the cells and then used "paste special" to paste just the values and the file size doesn't reduce. I am copying numbers from an investment website into my spreadsheet and there don't appear to be any issues with the pasted cells but I suspect it is causing the file size expansion and very slow performance. I then deleted all the cells around by spreadsheet and it didn't help at all. All suggestions as to how I can fix this problem appreciated. Kenview If you do a Ctl-End, does...

Cannot create new mailbox
I'm having an issue of not being able to create a new mailbox. I can go through the process of creating the user in AD Users & Computers and everything is successfull. I can even see the user in the GAL. But I cannot access the mailbox by opening it nor does it show up in system manager even after sending a message to the mailbox. I do have full permissions to the mailbox. It seems like it is not being created even though the recipient policy seems to be working because it does generate an address for the account. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Moving Inbox items to folders
I was wondering if there was a way to move inbox items to certain folder. Example. I have a folder call "Validation" I have e-mails that come in that I would like to move to that folder. Instead of click and drag can a macro be developed to move the selected e-mail to a certain folder by programming a Button or quick key? Thanks That is what Rules Wizard was created to do. What version of Outlook do you have? Different versions have different options, the latest (2003) having the most. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discus...

New to exchange #3
Does anyone know how to take a large file break it down to smaller parts send it through outlook and then merge it back into one file within outlook on the other end. Apparently there is a way to do thi within outlook. There isn't anyway to do that with Outlook. You could do it with WinRAR, or search for a program on google called HJSplit. Winzip can create files like that too, but I prefer WinRAR. -- Martin Blackstone MVP - Exchange http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition cannot connect to Exchange Server 2007
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I have been using Entourage 2008 to connect to our Exchange server since it's release (part of Office 2008) and I have recently followed the instructions to update it to the Web Services Edition. I am now unable to connect to my Exchange account with this version but as soon as I re-install the 'normal' version of Entourage 2008 everything works. <br><br>Is there something I need to enable on the Exchange 2007 server to allow the Web Services Edition to connect? ...

How do you move the curser around in a cell
What do mean by "cursor" and what do you want to do? HTH Otto "krisf" <krisf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BD5F197-4745-4FD3-95BE-80A10897020F@microsoft.com... > ...

[ANN] New installer for 12.0.1
MacBu released a new installer for the Office 2008 Update 12.0.1 today. This is not new Office bits to be installed, but the installer itself that was changed. This change was a result of problems experienced by some Office 2008 users having a failed update to 12.0.1. If you are one of the unfortunate few that had problems, this patch is for you. If you were able to successfully update to 12.0.1 then you do not need this patch. Continue reading for steps to properly update Office 2008 to version 12.0.1. -- Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees) Entourage Help Page <...

Setting Public Folder Permissions (Exchange 2003)
We have a public folder on our Exchange server that stores all of our client contact information. I know that there is a way to assign permissions (Owner, Editor, etc) to the other Exchange users. I did this once or twice when we were on Exchange 5.5. How would I do that on Exchange 2003? It is in the Exchange Tasks of each user in AD? Is it something in the Exchange console that I am missing? forgot to send you the link (-: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=635BE792-D8AD-49E3-ADA4-E2422C0AB424&displaylang=en oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu __________...

problem while starting "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" service
Hi, I am facing some problem with starting "Microsoft Exchange Information Store" service. Did a fresh exchange server installation and after reboot this service was not running. I tried running this service manually but getting error as "Could not start Microsoft Exchange Information Store service on Local Computer Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" In the event Application logs i am getting some warnings and error related to 1. The MAD Monitoring thread was unable to read its configuration from the DS, error ...

Moving Data Automaticaly
Can you help I have a table (part shown below) the Date and Day moves automaticaly to left at midnight - is it possible to get the rest of the data to move as well 25-Nov 26-Nov 27-Nov 28-Nov Sun Mon Tue Wed 07:00 07:00 TBA on off on off on off on off 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 -- JohnM Please explain meaning of "date and day MOVES to left" Are you using conditionally formatting to highlight the cell with the current date? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bli...

moving from c++ to visual studio c++ (winpcap) problem
Hi ! i have a problem related to winpcap, i'm curretly making a sniffer aplication for my studies. I want to accomplish this http://www.winpcap.org/docs/man/html/group__wpcap__tut3.html but in visual studio, the problem is related to the function pcap_loop(adhandle, 0, packet_handler, NULL); it has a pointer to the function packet_handler. It works fine in console, but how do i make it work in windows forms?? a have made an form with an button which pressed should do the stuff that the function main does in te program from the above linlk, but should call the function from inside the c...

can I lock screen so only clicked links move slides in sldeshow
I have created question slides with Yes and No links to the next corresponding slides eg if answer yes link goes to slide 2 if answer No goes to slide 3 this happens during slide show presentation I want to be able to lock the rest of the slide so that only a link click can progress to the next slide because the process does not run in order if you just click anywhere on the screen to progress the slides On Jan 28, 5:19=A0pm, Workworry <Workwo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have created =A0question slides with Yes and No links to the next > corresponding ...

New check format
I modified a copy of current check report, and trying to use this new format when I print a check. However, GP system didn't pick up the new format. What should I do to make them recognize each other? Thank you so much, Sophie Sophie, If you modified an existing check layout, you want to make sure to give users access to the modified check via Advanced Security or Security, depending on what your company uses. If the reports.dic is local and more than one user needs to use the modified check, you'll need to make sure each local reports.dic gets the modified check. Hope thi...

Exporting existing info from outlook 2003 to exchange server
This must be an easy thing to do or it is not possible. I'm hoping that what I am about to describe is easy and I'm just missing something ? We got exchange server to share calendars and inbox information. I set up exchange server - no problem. I have Outlook 2003 on one machine and have outlook 2002 on other. The Outlook 2003 machine has a ton of data and a calendar that goes out almost another year with appointments. I am able to delegate and allow the 2002 Outlook user to share a calendar and inbox on the exchange server - albeit ... the calendar and inbox are empty. I was feeli...

CRM 1.2 SBS 2003 Can not install exchange email router
Logged on as domain admin throughout. Installed CRM successfully, followed install instructions, did not install to local host installed web to a hostheader of "companyweb" port 80. during Exchange email router setup I get an error when specifying CRM server and web - "one or more os the MS CRM servers you listed is invalid or you do not have administrator priveleges on that server...." server name: sbssrb01 web http://companyweb If I go into IIS can not open CRM web get - http Error 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied. All services are on 1 server "sbssrv01&qu...

Moving through a list
Hi all, Below is the macro that I have put together from , recording, some from help I got here and some of it I done. The sheet "Contacts" has aprox 300 rows of contact info that I need to copy and paste into the sheet called "Inventory" in the same workbook.I then save the "Inventory" sheet to a new workbook and save it with the name of the file comming from cell 'X4".I then save and close this new workbook.Now I need to go back to the original workbook " Contacts" sheet and move down to the next row and do it all over again until the...