Move Exchange 2003 database to different server

Does anyone know if there is a way to move an Exchange database from one
server to another. Anything I can try, script? utility?

I try to setup a server in advance to avoid to reinstall Exchange server
even with /disasterrecovey in DR situation.

Thanks,

Joe

0
Joe (497)

you cannot move a database from one server to another and mount it...
"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if there is a way to move an Exchange database from one
> server to another. Anything I can try, script? utility?
>
> I try to setup a server in advance to avoid to reinstall Exchange server
> even with /disasterrecovey in DR situation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

0
sconkey (3059)
7/6/2005 8:36:37 PM
"Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> you cannot move a database from one server to another and mount it...

Unless they both have the same name, or was that only true with 5.5?

0
nguser2u10 (58)
7/6/2005 11:46:21 PM
if EVERYthing is exactly the same, you can probably do it...what is the
objective?  replacing hardware?

"you know who maybe" <nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message

> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > you cannot move a database from one server to another and mount it...
>
> Unless they both have the same name, or was that only true with 5.5?

0
sconkey (3059)
7/7/2005 2:16:05 PM
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?= <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:5C09891F-
EEEF-470F-9A2D-7C24293E2F69@microsoft.com:

> Does anyone know if there is a way to move an Exchange database from one
> server to another. Anything I can try, script? utility?

Why not just join the new one up and move mailboxes. Much less downtime and
chance of failure.

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP

I have an exchange 2003 server in our remote site and its database (*.edb,
*.stm) is being Double taked to our data center. Since I have the database
here and I also have 2 Exchange server (Enterprise edition) running here too.
I hope if there is way to mount the database in my local exchange server in
case of DR.

Thanks,

"Arlo Clizer [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?= <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:5C09891F-
> EEEF-470F-9A2D-7C24293E2F69@microsoft.com:
>
> > Does anyone know if there is a way to move an Exchange database from one
> > server to another. Anything I can try, script? utility?
>
> Why not just join the new one up and move mailboxes. Much less downtime and
> chance of failure.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Arlo Clizer
> Exchange MVP
> FAQ: http://www.exchangefaq.org
> Archives: http://groups.google.com

0
Joe (497)
7/7/2005 8:29:06 PM
> Sorry for not make it clear before.
>
> I have an exchange 2003 server in our remote site and its database (*.edb,
> *.stm) is being Double taked to our data center. Since I have the database
> here and I also have 2 Exchange server (Enterprise edition) running here
> too.
> I hope if there is way to mount the database in my local exchange server
> in
> case of DR.
>
> Thanks,

For whatever reason MS made it so you can only load the database on a server
with the same name. I don't know how close it is to the same as we used to
do with 5.5 (I need to test it with 2003) but in the old days with NT we
would 1) build a BDC with a temp name, 2) take it off the production network
and put it on a temp network, 3) promote to PDC, 4) rename the box to the
same name as the exchange server which supplied the database, 5) install
exchange as if a new install and test it by sending mail to test accounts,
6) stop exchange services and swap in the old database files and reboot.
This DR routine worked for us for Exchange 5.5. For AD I suspect the same
would be true - you just need a DC, too.

0
nguser2u10 (58)
7/18/2005 5:28:02 PM
On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:28:02 -0700, "you know who maybe"
<nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com> hired a team of monkeys to write:

>For whatever reason MS made it so you can only load the database on a server
>with the same name.

I don't believe this is the case in Exchange 200x actually.See
recovery storage group whitepaper for example.

--
Chris Scharff
Messaging Services Architect

Don't find fault, find a remedy. - Henry Ford

Excel 2003 toolbars disappears
I notice that when I leave my excel opened and while working with other window and when I bring back my screen to excel, the toolbars was lost. Already scanned with Antivirus and spyware removal but still persist. I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 with Office 2003 SP2. ...

SharePoint 2010 and Office 2003
Will SharePont 2010 and Office 2003 work together? Is there a two way conncetion between Outlook 2003 and the calendars in SharePoint 2010? Will we need to upgrade to Office 2010? Thanks, Joel While I am sure there will be very limited compatibility between SharePoint 2010 and Office 2003 I don't think it would be ideal to run the two together. Here is a link to Microsoft's Good, Better, Best White Paper which outlines the differences between SP 2007 and 2010 and the different Office editions. http://download.microsoft.com/DOWNLOAD/2/A/A/2AA0D302-86A6-4AA2-A0A4...

Outlook 2003 Contacts #2
I upgraded from Outlook XP to 2003. When I create a new message and try to selected addresses by clicking on the "To..." field, I get a list of contact folders. The displayed list has folders that I don't even have anymore. I must scroll through the list until I come to my "contacts" folder. The other folders don't appear in either my archive or primary contacts lists. How do I get rid of the "ghost" folders when trying to create a new message? TIA Remove the irrelevant listings here: Tools > E-mail accounts > View or change existing direct...

Migrating GP to another Existing Server
Hi, So far I can only managed to find documentation on GP migration to a new server. Is there any documentation on migration to another existing GP Server? We currently have two different MGP systems (1 in the UK and 1 in Singapore) and plan to consolidate them in Singapore. Any help would be appreciated! Cheers, Sugih If you are going to add the UK db to the Singapore server in ONE GP install with 2 companies: 1. Backup the UK company using the SQL backup tool. Take the file to Singapore. 2. On the Singapore GP install, create a new company. Use the same name as the UK compan...

Outlook 2003 will not open
Can not open outlook 2003 client after closeing it. I have to reboot or kill the process in taskmanager before I can open it again. ...

Outlook 2003
In Outlook 2003-- I need to have a command for me to SEND email and then prompt me to FILE the sent email into one of my folders that I choose so I am able to pick the folder each time. I would like to create a button in the standard menu bar for: Send & File Thank you See if the VBA code at http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm does what you need. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "jc1148" <jc1148@dis...

renaming windows server running exchange 2007
Hello all I have a small exchange environment runing a mix of ex2k3 and ex2k7 (one server each). I need to rename the ex2k7 machine. I was thinking of just doing it normally through control panel as you one would change any windows machine's name. Will this cause any problems with ex2k7 or even the ex2k3 server? or do i need to install another ex2k7 server, transfer stuff over and all those crazy things? Many thanks for your help. Yes, crazy things are in your future. You cannot rename a server that is running Exchange. You will need to install a second E2K7 server, move the ...

BrightStor ArcServe 11.1 with Exchange Agent
Hi, I have BrightStor ArcServe 11.1 installed on a Windows Server 2003 machine and I want to backup my Exchange 2000 Server running on a Windows 2000 Server machine. The ArcServe backup agent for Exchange is installed on the Exchange server and is configured for brick-level backup. When I try to perfrom a backup from the backup server, using the ArcServe manager, I can connect to the Exchange server with the credentials I entered in the Exchange backup agent configuration wizard, but I do not have the option to backup the Exchange database at brick-level, I only see the server shares ...

combined contents in two different columns
I have a spreadsheet that has property address numbers in one column and the street names in another column. In order for me to use my mailing system I need to have the address # and street names as a single field. I have 5000 rows of data. Is there a way to automate this? Similar to the Text to Columns function but in reverse. Thanks for you help. Exactly the reverse of Text to Columns... Say the address numbers are in column A and the street names are in column B. Then in column C put =A1&B1 and copy down. If you need a single space between the two, use =A1&" "&...

How to change Bridgehead server?
I'm migrating to Exchange 2003 from 5.5. Have the old 5.5 server and the new 2003 server the same Site/Administrative Group. I've moved all mailboxes to the 2003 server, and have added an SMTP connector to the 2003 server and added our domains to the address space tab , and have pointed DNS/MX records to the new server and it is receiving new mail just fine. All users connect to the new server to send/receive mail. I notice though in the email header of outgoing mail to other domains that the server that sent out the email is the old 5.5 Servername/IP Address. If I stop the...

Cannot uninstall first exchange server
Currently have two exchange 2000 servers - the "old" and the "new". Moved all the mailboxes to the "new" server, did "Q307917 - how to remove the first exchange 2000 server computer from the site", but when running the Add/Remove exchange and selecting "Remove", get the message The component "Microsoft Exchange Messagin and Collaboration Service" cannot be assigned the action remove becuase: One or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server. These users must be moved to a mailbox store on a different server or be mail di...

SQL Server 2000+2008 on Win2008x64 question
Hi, I have SQL Server 2000 on my Win2008x64 server, the db file is on the D drive, while the program file is on C drive. Today I installed the SQL Server 2008 on the same machine. After the installation, the SQL Server Service Manager is still the same as just only SQL Server 2000 installed, I'm thinking isn't there some newer version of the SQL Server Service Manager for the SQL Server 2008? And in the SQL Server Management Studio, I can only find those db in the SQL Server 2000 db folder, I can't find those SQL Server 2008 system database like Master and Model. H...

Project Portfolio Server
Is it possible to customize the "Status" tab in PPS? We wish to include a number of custom attributes as text boxes that PM's would fill out to update their status. We have successfully updated the "Project Info" tab and the Additional Info Tab, but are not able to update the status tab. project.aspx default settings: <tabitem name="Status"> <WP:MonthlyStatus runat="server" > <Config> <content columns="2"> <sectionbreak name="Attributes" width="910" /...

How to write back a SQL Server table from Excel
I want to read a SQL Server table into Excel and then make changes to it and then update the Excel range back to SQL Server. Also, I want to be able to add new rows or delete rows in a range and reflect back the same into SQL Server. In simple words I want to do the same thing what Access Link table does from SQL Server. One of the main problems I face is how to identify the range the query populated in Excel ? Then how to track what rows were deleted and what were inserted newly and what was updated. If any of you have a VBA / t-SQL code for this it is highly appreciated. Thanks Belinda B...

some Users can not connect to Server to fetch Emails !!! (URGENT)
hi dear friends we have Windows 2000 SP4 + Exchange 2000 SP3 installed and Post SP3 for exchange is installed too.users have Office 2003 SP2 installed ,we have defined S/R restriction for users for upto 5MB .now i have two questions first : users receive emails in their mailboxes that exceed 5MB limit .i want to know that how this occurs ? i think that they must not receive these emails . second : users use POP3 to fetch emails on their own computers ( .pst file )randomly we get these error that some users can not Send/Receive emails from server & Client Computer Hangs (Clients use Wi...

Invitation from Lotus to Outlook 2003
I am running Outlook 2003 SP3 and connect directly to my ISP. When I receive Meeting Invitations from a Lotus Domino Server, the invitation arrives in text form and consequently I cannot accept / reject the request. Incidently, I run Outlook 2007 on another machine and it works perfectly. Is this a configuration issue or a bug / feature of Outlook 2003? Any help greatly appreciated. ...

Money 2003
I have been using money 2003 deluxe and business version for personal use with no business related data or accounts in the money file. Now,If I want to install and use 2004 money version, can 2004 deluxe version import 2003 deluxe&busines version money file or do I have to use premium version? Which 2004 version can read this 2003 money file? Help appreciated. OP Any of the 2004 versions should be able to convert this file, but of course, business information that you've entered will not be available. You should also get a message upon conversion that you are converting a busines...

move SMTP Connector to Exchange 2003
What's the procedure to move the SMTP connector from a Exchange 2000 Server to a clustered Exchange 2003 server? The Exchange 2000 server will be retired soon and this is one of the last things that need to be moved. I've tried to look for answers but cannot seem to find it. Thanks in advance. The servers that are in charge of the SMTP connector are added on the connector under 'local bridgehead servers'. Ideally you should have your Front End Exchange servers controlling this. Sounds like you haven't any FE's in your Exchange Org though so set the Bridgehead ser...

EXcel 2003 / # Characters
Hello, I paste text data from time to time into an excel spread sheet, and find that sometimes the result in the excel text field is filled with hash characters. The source of the data is the same in each case, yet some fields contain all # and the rest contain the correct text data. I have looked at the original to see & can't see what would cause this. Any help on this would be most appreciated. Abay Excel has a problem with Text formatted cells if they contain between 255 and 1024 characters and will show the pound signs #### Format to General and they will disappear. ...

How to increase folder size of my 2003 Autlook, it is full
It seems like it is impossible, but I guess I ran out of room in Outlook 2003. I need all this info, how can I enlarge the folder..........Peter It is indeed practically impossible. Your post is quite unclear. Clarify what you mean along with the evidence that makes you think Outlook is "full." -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> wrote in message news:0d-dncBp_ZgvEK_YnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d@comcast.com... > It seems like it is impossible, but I guess I ran out of room in Outlook > 2003. I need all this info, how can I enlarge the fol...

POP3 connector in SBS2003 i.e. exchange 2003
Hi all, This is a bit of a pain in the neck, so if anyone comes up with a solution will be a real life saver for me. We have a client where we are replacing SBS2000 server with SBS2003 server. Now, my question is only related to the Exchange part of it. On the SBS 2000 server, under exchange, we have POP3 connector and on the properties of that POP3 connector, we have something called Global ISP mail host. What I understand it does is brings down the email for the specified email domain using the POP3 protocol. In this, we specify the server from which we bring the emails down, the em...

how 2 open Publisher 93 document in Publisher 98 or 2003
I have numerous Publisher 92/93 documents which I want to update and save but I keep getting message "Publisher cannot open this document" - I run both Publisher 98 and 2003 - how can I open these documents - many thanx Depending on the specific version of Publisher those files were made with, you may need to find someone who has that version and start saving up to the present. Try finding someone with Pub 97 - that might work. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "Nannarob" <Nannarob@discussio...

macro for inserting one row between different data
Hi, I am using excel 2003, my file looks like below order no invoice no amount 123 S1000 $10 234 S1000 $20 456 S1001 $30 123 S1001 $40 I want to use a macro to insert a blank row to separate different invoice no, how to write it ? Thanks eva cheng Hi, I have assumed your invoice numbers are in column B Sub Insert_Rows() 'insert a row at every name change in a column B Dim X As Long Set Sht = Sheets("Sheet1") MyColumn = "B" For X = Sht.Cells(Rows.Count, ...

RAS and Exchange 2000
I've run into a problem since upgrading to Active Directory and Exchange 2000. My workers with home PCs used to simply dial in through RAS and open Outlook with the old NT4 domain and Exchange 5.5. Now they are dialing into AD and when they open Outlook, it says that they don't have permission to login and won't open their mailbox. They still have access to everything else in the domain. The strange thing is that the people with company laptops who take them home and dial in don't have any problems. I'm suspecting that it has something to do with these laptops being jo...

Exclude one calendar from being sychronized with Exchange Server
Hello Is it possible to exclude one Outlook calendar (folder) from being sychronized with the Exchange Server? Suppose I have two Outlook calendars set up: one for work-related appointments, one for private appointments. Now, I would like have my work calendar to be sychronized with the Exchange Server at work, but not the private calendar. Is that possible? System: - Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 - Exchange Server 2003 (I cannot change anything on the Exchange Server) Thank you Sagi Hello, I don't think it is possible within the Exchange-Mailbox-account in Outlook, but you could ...