Missing public data store

I've recently taken over the sys admin duties for a customer site. After 
looking through the event logs I discovered that the Exchange 2003 public 
data store would not mount because the store itself was missing. When I 
looked at the backups I found that inadequate backup processes were in place 
and there was no backup for me to use.  I fixed the backup problem.  Now, 
I've googled time after time looking for a way to regenerate the public 
folder without success.

Does anyone have a pointer to a process for regenerating the missing public 
store and all it's system folders?

Thanks,
Denny 


0
1/2/2007 10:24:15 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

7 Replies
393 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 1

so there were no other servers that held replicas of  the PFs?  without a 
backup, I'm afraid there is no way to "regenerate" the data...

-- 
Susan Conkey [MVP]



"Dennis Johnson" <djohnson@autonomix.com> wrote in message 
news:%23HJWLzrLHHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I've recently taken over the sys admin duties for a customer site. After 
> looking through the event logs I discovered that the Exchange 2003 public 
> data store would not mount because the store itself was missing. When I 
> looked at the backups I found that inadequate backup processes were in 
> place and there was no backup for me to use.  I fixed the backup problem. 
> Now, I've googled time after time looking for a way to regenerate the 
> public folder without success.
>
> Does anyone have a pointer to a process for regenerating the missing 
> public store and all it's system folders?
>
> Thanks,
> Denny
> 


0
sconkey (3059)
1/2/2007 10:34:18 PM
Hi,

The public folder should be generated by mounting the store and if the 
system folders are missing they can be recreated 
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275171

Leif

"Dennis Johnson" <djohnson@autonomix.com> wrote in message 
news:%23HJWLzrLHHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I've recently taken over the sys admin duties for a customer site. After 
> looking through the event logs I discovered that the Exchange 2003 public 
> data store would not mount because the store itself was missing. When I 
> looked at the backups I found that inadequate backup processes were in 
> place and there was no backup for me to use.  I fixed the backup problem. 
> Now, I've googled time after time looking for a way to regenerate the 
> public folder without success.
>
> Does anyone have a pointer to a process for regenerating the missing 
> public store and all it's system folders?
>
> Thanks,
> Denny
> 


0
1/2/2007 10:35:10 PM
1. Shut down Exchange.
2. Delete the public folder database files (if you need to, which are 
pub1.edb and pub1.stm, and are found in the \Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\ folder.
3. Restart Exchange.
4. In the Exchange Service Manager, go to the public folder store object and 
mount it.

NOTE: This will generate a warning that a new database will be created. Once 
the public folder store is mounted and working, the system folders will need 
to be recreated from scratch.

5. Regenerate the system folders using the instructions in Microsoft 
Knowledge Base article 275171. This requires the GUIDgen.exe utility 
(available in the KB article) to create a new GUID. You'll want to manually 
configure Exchange to use the new GUID for the system folders via ADSI Edit 
(described in the article).

NOTE: You may need to wait for Active Directory replication to take place 
before you can restart the system (and Exchange) and see the system folders.

If you need to manually republish free/busy information, use the 
instructions in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 294282.

-- 
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dgoldman
http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman


"Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <Leif.pedersenNO-SPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message 
news:exdPE5rLHHA.2028@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> The public folder should be generated by mounting the store and if the 
> system folders are missing they can be recreated 
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275171
>
> Leif
>
> "Dennis Johnson" <djohnson@autonomix.com> wrote in message 
> news:%23HJWLzrLHHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> I've recently taken over the sys admin duties for a customer site. After 
>> looking through the event logs I discovered that the Exchange 2003 public 
>> data store would not mount because the store itself was missing. When I 
>> looked at the backups I found that inadequate backup processes were in 
>> place and there was no backup for me to use.  I fixed the backup problem. 
>> Now, I've googled time after time looking for a way to regenerate the 
>> public folder without success.
>>
>> Does anyone have a pointer to a process for regenerating the missing 
>> public store and all it's system folders?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Denny
>>
>
> 

0
Dgoldman9268 (137)
1/2/2007 10:41:22 PM
Nope, it's a small business and there isn't a replica.

I was soooo hoping that that was not the answer.... :-)
But I'm also a realist.

Denny


"Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message 
news:ukYIl4rLHHA.1276@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> so there were no other servers that held replicas of  the PFs?  without a 
> backup, I'm afraid there is no way to "regenerate" the data...
>
> -- 
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>
>
>
> "Dennis Johnson" <djohnson@autonomix.com> wrote in message 
> news:%23HJWLzrLHHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> I've recently taken over the sys admin duties for a customer site. After 
>> looking through the event logs I discovered that the Exchange 2003 public 
>> data store would not mount because the store itself was missing. When I 
>> looked at the backups I found that inadequate backup processes were in 
>> place and there was no backup for me to use.  I fixed the backup problem. 
>> Now, I've googled time after time looking for a way to regenerate the 
>> public folder without success.
>>
>> Does anyone have a pointer to a process for regenerating the missing 
>> public store and all it's system folders?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Denny
>>
>
> 


0
1/2/2007 10:42:23 PM
Attempting to mount the store gives me an error "The store could not be 
mounted because the Active Direc tory information was not replicated yet."

Denny



"Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <Leif.pedersenNO-SPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message 
news:exdPE5rLHHA.2028@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> The public folder should be generated by mounting the store and if the 
> system folders are missing they can be recreated 
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275171
>
> Leif
>
> "Dennis Johnson" <djohnson@autonomix.com> wrote in message 
> news:%23HJWLzrLHHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> I've recently taken over the sys admin duties for a customer site. After 
>> looking through the event logs I discovered that the Exchange 2003 public 
>> data store would not mount because the store itself was missing. When I 
>> looked at the backups I found that inadequate backup processes were in 
>> place and there was no backup for me to use.  I fixed the backup problem. 
>> Now, I've googled time after time looking for a way to regenerate the 
>> public folder without success.
>>
>> Does anyone have a pointer to a process for regenerating the missing 
>> public store and all it's system folders?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Denny
>>
>
> 


0
1/2/2007 10:44:48 PM
How many domain controllers do you have? If you have more than one I would 
suggest that you use the Sites and Services MMC / NTDS Settings to 
replication you domain controllers. Remember that this is a push / pull 
operation so you will have to do it from each active directory connector.

In addition to this where there any additional events in the application 
log?

-- 
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dgoldman
http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman


"Dennis Johnson" <djohnson@autonomix.com> wrote in message 
news:%23bg3q%23rLHHA.448@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Attempting to mount the store gives me an error "The store could not be 
> mounted because the Active Direc tory information was not replicated yet."
>
> Denny
>
>
>
> "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <Leif.pedersenNO-SPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message 
> news:exdPE5rLHHA.2028@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> The public folder should be generated by mounting the store and if the 
>> system folders are missing they can be recreated 
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275171
>>
>> Leif
>>
>> "Dennis Johnson" <djohnson@autonomix.com> wrote in message 
>> news:%23HJWLzrLHHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> I've recently taken over the sys admin duties for a customer site. After 
>>> looking through the event logs I discovered that the Exchange 2003 
>>> public data store would not mount because the store itself was missing. 
>>> When I looked at the backups I found that inadequate backup processes 
>>> were in place and there was no backup for me to use.  I fixed the backup 
>>> problem. Now, I've googled time after time looking for a way to 
>>> regenerate the public folder without success.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a pointer to a process for regenerating the missing 
>>> public store and all it's system folders?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Denny
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 

0
Dgoldman9268 (137)
1/3/2007 4:00:19 AM
Yeah, I thought of that too. It didn't help.
Denny

"Dave Goldman [MSFT]" <Dgoldman@noreply.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:u5jrxuuLHHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> How many domain controllers do you have? If you have more than one I would 
> suggest that you use the Sites and Services MMC / NTDS Settings to 
> replication you domain controllers. Remember that this is a push / pull 
> operation so you will have to do it from each active directory connector.
>
> In addition to this where there any additional events in the application 
> log?
>
> -- 
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
> rights.
>
> Dgoldman
> http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman
>
>
> "Dennis Johnson" <djohnson@autonomix.com> wrote in message 
> news:%23bg3q%23rLHHA.448@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Attempting to mount the store gives me an error "The store could not be 
>> mounted because the Active Direc tory information was not replicated 
>> yet."
>>
>> Denny
>>
>>
>>
>> "Leif Pedersen [MVP]" <Leif.pedersenNO-SPAM@get2net.dk> wrote in message 
>> news:exdPE5rLHHA.2028@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The public folder should be generated by mounting the store and if the 
>>> system folders are missing they can be recreated 
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275171
>>>
>>> Leif
>>>
>>> "Dennis Johnson" <djohnson@autonomix.com> wrote in message 
>>> news:%23HJWLzrLHHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>>> I've recently taken over the sys admin duties for a customer site. 
>>>> After looking through the event logs I discovered that the Exchange 
>>>> 2003 public data store would not mount because the store itself was 
>>>> missing. When I looked at the backups I found that inadequate backup 
>>>> processes were in place and there was no backup for me to use.  I fixed 
>>>> the backup problem. Now, I've googled time after time looking for a way 
>>>> to regenerate the public folder without success.
>>>>
>>>> Does anyone have a pointer to a process for regenerating the missing 
>>>> public store and all it's system folders?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Denny
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
> 


0
1/3/2007 6:49:05 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

MMoney for ppc opens only 4 weeks data.
I am using Mmoney for ppc2005 on Windows Mobile 2003. I made full back up of all data to escape problems when upgrading from MMoney 2002 to MMoney 2005. Now I can not open the old MMoney 2002 file, because versions turned to be incompatible. When I thought I could lode the database from My Pocket PC, after I made full restore in it MMoney opens only the last 4 weeks with MMoney data instead of 2 years. Where is my backed up data for 2 years that I backed up? Did you set ActiveSync to synchronize all data rather than 4 weeks for Money for the pocket pc? If you didn't, then you'll...

MsPub 2003 missing my fonts, PDF has wrong margins... what's going on!
I went to my local Office Depot to get my posters printed (color 11 by 17) as usual.... They now have MS Publisher 2003, which will load my Pub 2000 files, but they don't have my font! Is there some way I can embed the font within Publisher so they can print my posters? Luckily, I took the files also in PDF format and had them printed that way, but once again, they had upgraded to the new Adobe tool, which apparantly now does not allow adjustment of the poster to center it on the page, or resize to fit.. and so I lose my right hand margin. I'm either going to have to get mysel...

Securing Public Folders
Hello. I am using Exchange 2003. I am trying to secure the root of the public folder to keep users from creating folders there. I have sub-folders where they can do that, but I can't seem to restrict permissions at the root level. Any help would be appreciated. In news:FC06B16E-4365-4FB8-98EB-258FCAE567A2@microsoft.com, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hello. I am using Exchange 2003. I am trying to secure the root of > the public folder to keep users from creating folders there. I have > sub-folders where they can do that, but I can't seem to rest...

Linking data from other worksheets to formula
I am trying to do something that I know is very simple, but just doesn' seem very intuitive with Excel. I have a series of worksheets that hav data in them over various months. I have a total spreadsheet that would like to be able to agregrate all of the the data from the othe worksheets into a summary page. For example, I have utilization number for each month of the year on the other worksheets and would like t take the utilization for each month so that I could take data from eac on the other worksheets and add them together and be represented as on cell on the total page. Can someone ...

Lowest 5 numbers in data base column #2
I am working with a data base where I compute a golf handicap based o each individual's lowest 5 scores from the last eight rounds played. The data are arranged in columns showing date played and score posted. Not all dates have a score for each person. Can someone provide method for determining handicap based only on the lowest 5 rounds -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Pasting data without the worksheet automatically delimiting it?
Hi All, Quick question about Text to Columns function/pasting data. Basicall i've created a Macro which involves using Text to Columns to delimi some data. The macro is associated with a command button and is workin fine. The problem is that when I close and reopen the worksheet with th command button in it and paste my data in, it automatically delimits i before I run the macro. This renders the macro useless as its dependan on the data being pasted in, in a certain format. The only way I can get the sheet to accept the pasted data as norma (not delimit it automatically) is to close do...

Public folder replication #8
Hello friends: As our exchange 5.5 pub.edb file was taking up almost all the hard drive space, we asked our main office to stop replicating their public folders to our server, even after they stopped replicating the size of the pub.edb hasn't gone down. Is there an utlity that will delete the whitespace in the database file? please advise. Thanks. Hello, an offline defrag might help... See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192185 for more information on how to accomplish this. Greetings, Henning Krause ========================== Visit my website: http://www.inf...

Possible Public Folder Corruption
I still have ek23 and ek55 coexisting right now. I used pfmigrate to replicate the ek55 PF to ek23 and all went well. Nearly all of my user mailboxes are still located on the ek55 server with only 5 on the ek23 server. The issue: The Veritas Backups for ek55 have been going much slower than normal. When the job is canceled, Veritas states in the error log "Database or Database element is corrupt". This occurs on the Exchange Public Folders. My question: What is the best course of action to resolve this problem? Should I assume that any corruption is also replicated t...

Outlook 2003
I know you can view public calendars by clicking on the Folder List button on the Navigation Pane rather than the Mail, but does anyone know how to add the Public Calendar from the Navigation Pane to a users "Calendar" tab in Outlook 2003? TIA TD ...

Help Client or Server side utility to mirror an Outlook folder to an Exchange Public Folder
Hi: I'm still looking for a utility (server or workstation based) that will facilitate real time mirroring (one way only - Outlook to Exchange) of the contents of a Outlook mail folder(s) with Exchange public folder(s). The goal is to allow public user folders to monitor realtime correspondence in a particular Outlook users sub folder. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any advice. Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003, SP2. -- Dab Cut off: yourhead to respond You probably dismissed this option already, but why not Mail enable the PF? That way people can send email right into t...

Clothing store help
I just installed the Retail Management Software for a clothing retailer and am struggling with how to set up unique items that will vary by style number and size. Everything calls for a lookup code and I don't know where to start. any advice on how to get started Hi Brian, RMS version 2.0 will have enhanced Matrix management capability. To be released in a couple of weeks. We have an addon to manage Matrix items if you want to use Version 1.3 R You need to have either of these options to efficiently manage apparel items. Send me an email and I can respond to you. ianm@retail-pos.co...

Old CRM SQL data files
We run CRM 3.0 on server 2003 with SQL 2000 server. A while back the MSCRM and METABASE files were detached from SQL 2000 and saved on a different server while the exisiting server went through an overhaul. With clean installs and current upgrades in place we now need to introduce the MSCRM and METABASE data back to CRM. We detached the empty 'new' files and re-attached the old files into SQL 2000 but now appear to have a problem and can't get CRM to access the data. It comes up with an Authentication Error stating 'Microsoft CRM could not log you on to the system. Mak...

Mailbox store rights
Sorry for the length of this post. I have an exchange 2003 server with one mailbox storage group. I have 4 standard mailbox stores under this storage group. All 4 were created during the initial install with the same rights, just different names. I am having various strange "permission" problems for users under 3 of the stores, but no problems with users in the other store. We utilize mapi and owa. Outlook web access gives a "You don't have permissions to perform this action." when the user tries to create an appointment in their calendar, everything else i...

move cursor after inputting data without using enter key
I am using a scanner that reads barcodes and automatically enters data into a cell. The problem is that I'm not always close to the computer and want to have the cursor automatically go to the next cell after i scan one code without having to press enter after every scan. Is there a module or marco that can do this. This is not something that Excel could do. Even an event-driven macro couldn't be triggered until cell editting is completed (when ENTER is hit). However, you should be able to configure your barcode reader to automatically append an ENTER (or Carriage Return) to the ...

CRM Data Import
Hello, I'm mew to CRM. I want to load every day data to my CRM from other sql database. Some of this data is to override the old one. What is the best way to do this? There are few ways. 1. use scribe www.scribesoft.com 2. use import of standard crm utility - get excel file and import into ms crm. 3. right your own utility and schedule it from other database -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com "CRM Data Import" wrote: > Hello, > > I'm mew t...

data from sql to pdf form
how can i merge data like customer name, address, etc. from sql to a pdf form? thank sam Idea #1 Sql Server Reporting Services. PDF is one export option. You should supply which version(s) of Sql Server you have.............the more information you provide, the more exact any tips can be. "Sam" <focus10@zahav.net.il> wrote in message news:uUqHHPLhKHA.5424@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > how can i merge data like customer name, address, etc. from sql to a pdf > form? > > thank > sam > > sql server 2000 &quo...

Adding a coma to the text data in every row of a column
Adding a coma to the text data in every row of a column I have an Excel spread sheet that has 6,000 rows of text in one of the columns. I want to be able to add a coma (,) after the last character in each row. Can this task be done automatically? In additional to posting your solution to this group, can you please cc: me at lpsca@earthlink.net Larry, The following code did it for me in about 1 second on 7000 rows... '----------------------------- 'Adds a comma at the right end of each cell's contents in Column "L" (12). 'For a different column change the L and 1...

Quick Combining of Workbooks Data
I just scanned (using OCR software) into 20 separate Workbooks (Sample name Page12.xls) (Data is in Sheet1 Only of all Wb's); The data is restricted to a range of A1:F60 in All Wb's. My quick response to combining then was to Take my Page01.xls, SaveAS Master.xls and Copy and Paste from each of the 2-20 wb's to my Master.xls; This took an enormous amt of time and couldn't be the "smart-way" - I know I'm missing a basic feature that will do this much faster (than manually as I have done). What am I missing? Is code the answer? TIA, JMay Code is a viable approac...

Is it possible to add data to only one 1 tab of a multi-tab form
Hi I have created a multi-tab form (there are 7 tabs in all). Is it possible to set the form up in such a way that not all forms are updated at the same time? For instance, one of the forms is Contact information and another is personal information. For one student, the contact information was updated on the Monday and the personal infomration on Tuesday but there are for the same student. Thank you advance for your help. ...

command button to display specific data
Hi everyone I have a question, when I go to insert a command button I use the wizard to open a form to find specific data to display. Now on th form I put the button contains the data for the parent, the form to link it to the child. So if the parent has several children then you can look up the parent the hit the command button that says child and theres all the kids by that parent. this is based off a familyId which was put in place by the original person who created the database. now when I go into design form and press the button I get an error message saying "invalid co...

Public Folder rules
We use thousands of mail enabled public folders. Some of these folders use rules to forward received messages to another mailbox. I try to forward a message received from a specific SMTP domain, like '@microsoft.com'. By some SMTP domains the rules are applied (@zonnet.nl), but by others not. I raise the Exchange diagnostic logging (Information Store / Public Folders / Rules) to high and notice that the rules on the 'problem' folders are not started. (There are no events in the event viewer). We use Exchange 2003 SP2 in combination with Outlook 2003 SP3. Wh...

Chart repeats data when printed pls help !
I have a spreadsheet that consists of a long list of data on the left with a simple x-y scatter chart on the right - both list and chart are longer than one page, and therefore must be printed across several pages. When I print the spreadsheet, the chart on each page prints the first two rows of data from the beginning of the chart, so for example if the data runs from 1-100, the first page chart printout shows 1-20, the second page shows 1-2 then 13-20, the third page shows 1-2 then 23-30. Could it be something to do with excel printing out the x axis on each page, given that the x axis is ...

Pivot: Retrieve report filter data for each item or for all items
Hello, I'm using Excel 2007 ... i have a pivot table where I want the data filtered to be retrieved any time. I followed the istructions at: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA102265861033.aspx but when i double click on the filter the PivotTable Field Advanced Options doesn't show up ... It works perfectly on Excel 2003, same sheet same odbc connection ... What it could be? Thank you, Ivan Pololi ...

Missing CRM toolbar in Outlook 2003
Hi, I have installed outlook 2003 client with CRM 3.0. I was able to see the menu, menu items for CRM and go offline buttons in outlook 2003 and used it couple of times. But after sometime it got vanished from the Outlook toolbar. I am not able to spot even one menu of CRM. After going through internet, I tried adding the crmaddin.dll plugin, but it displayed a Runtime error( which i am not sure, it is the right way to add it). Please let me know if anybody has come across this kind of problem and has solution for this. Here is some link I found. Be carefull : I didn't test the proc...

half way though chart, lines between data points missing
I add data to the chart on a daily basis. All of the sudden it posts the data points, but the connecting line is missing. All OK since 1/1 until 3 days ago. Have you accidentally changed the formatting for the axis? Caminoel;652762 Wrote: > I add data to the chart on a daily basis. All of the sudden it posts the data points, but the connecting line is missing. All OK since 1/1 until 3 days ago. -- Simon Lloyd Regards, Simon Lloyd 'Microsoft Office Help' (http://www.thecodecage.com) --------------------------------------------------------------------...