Migration Wizard Fails at Groupwise Domain

I am attempting to transfer/convert user's mail boxes to Exchange from
Groupwise.

I have set up a migration server, running Windows Server 2003 Standard, and
Exchange Enterprise 2003.  I installed the Novell Client and the Groupwise
software.  I can access the Groupwise email from this migration server
through the Groupwise Client.

However, when following the prompts in the Migration Wizard, I get to Step 8
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/e2k3InterOpMig/69c57b0f-3c0c-4133-a9e0-ef0d1b51b440.mspx?mfr=true)
and when I click next the wizard freezes for a minute or so then closes with
no further prompts.

I tried different accounts thinking that it was a security issue, but if I
use a different account and/or the wrong password I will get a message box
explaining it.

I went back and "researched" what I thought that I needed to do, and I found
that the API Gateway is not installed on the Novell Server, BUT I found a
post in a news group that stated you do not need the API Gateway installed
if you are just converting the mailboxes.

Any ideas, or better "instructions" that I should be following??

Thanks for your help!

0
nospam7515 (2084)

Hi,

You are correct that the API is only needed for coexcistance between the 2
mailsystems.

What exactly should step 8 do?
Not easy to see from the link supplied.

Remember that the account you are using should have permissions to create
mailboxes in exchange 2003 and also have permissions to access these
mailboxes (send as and receive as should do the trick).

Leif

"Fred Smith" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I am attempting to transfer/convert user's mail boxes to Exchange from
>Groupwise.
>
> I have set up a migration server, running Windows Server 2003 Standard,
> and Exchange Enterprise 2003.  I installed the Novell Client and the
> Groupwise software.  I can access the Groupwise email from this migration
> server through the Groupwise Client.
>
> However, when following the prompts in the Migration Wizard, I get to Step
> 8
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/e2k3InterOpMig/69c57b0f-3c0c-4133-a9e0-ef0d1b51b440.mspx?mfr=true)
> and when I click next the wizard freezes for a minute or so then closes
> with no further prompts.
>
> I tried different accounts thinking that it was a security issue, but if I
> use a different account and/or the wrong password I will get a message box
> explaining it.
>
> I went back and "researched" what I thought that I needed to do, and I
> found that the API Gateway is not installed on the Novell Server, BUT I
> found a post in a news group that stated you do not need the API Gateway
> installed if you are just converting the mailboxes.
>
> Any ideas, or better "instructions" that I should be following??
>
> Thanks for your help!

Step 8 is connecting
to the Group Wise domain, and when I enter the creditenals it sits and after
a minute and a half the window will disappear without doing anything.  I
tried numerous "admin" accounts with Administrator rights in both Exchange,
Windows Server, and Group Wise and Novell, but it does not move to the next
step.  Thinking that it is a authenication issue, I purposely entered the
wrong password, and then I get a Message Box advising that the password is
not valid.  So I'm lost.  I just want to copy the email from the GroupWise
mail boxes to the Exchange mail system.

Now, I tried this dozens of times, with reboots, etc.  I even used the
GroupWise tool to examine the mail boxes, everything looked ok, BUT I
noticed that a number of users have 3-6,000 emails in their boxes, could the
"Migration Wizard" be bombing due to the size?  I only have 60 users with
mail boxes, and quite a number of them have less than 500 emails or so, but
there are 20 or so with the large amount.

Thanks for your help, below is the information from the MS site, I hope it
comes through, at least the text.

Text from Site:

How to Migrate Users and Mailboxes from Novell GroupWise to Exchange

This topic discusses how to migrate users and mailboxes from Novell
GroupWise to Exchange.

      Selecting the migration destination

      8.
     On the GroupWise Domain page:

            1.
           In the Path box, type the UNC path to the Novell GroupWise domain
on the Novell NetWare server. Typically, this is \NWSERVER01\SYS\Mail\GWDom,
where NWSERVER01 is the Novell NetWare server on which Novell GroupWise is
installed.

            2.
           In the Account Name box, type the name of the account that the
Exchange Migration Wizard uses to access the Novell NetWare server that runs
Novell GroupWise. The account you specify must have access to each user's
Novell GroupWise mailbox. It is recommended that you use the account that is
already used by Connector for Novell GroupWise or a Novell NetWare admin
account.

            3.
           In the Password box, type a Novell GroupWise password (if there
is one) for the account used by Connector for Novell GroupWise. Click Next.

              Note
            You must specify a password only if the migration account has a
GroupWise password. This is not the same password as the password for Novell
NDS. To verify whether a GroupWise password must be specified, start the
Novell GroupWise client for this account, and determine whether this user is
being prompted for a password.

0
nospam7515 (2084)
5/8/2006 12:47:11 AM
What version of the GroupWise client are you using?  We are going through a
similar process at the moment and the only way I could get it to work was
with the 5.2.5 client.  I created a different user and gave it proxy rights
to the mailboxes.  Also, depending on your GroupWise setup, make sure that
the user you are using has a GroupWise password instead of just an NDS
password.

--
Doug Deitterick
CNA, MCP

> [...]
> Novell GroupWise. The account you specify must have access to each user's
> Novell GroupWise mailbox. It is recommended that you use the account that
> is
> already used by Connector for Novell GroupWise or a Novell NetWare admin
> account.
>
>            3.
>           In the Password box, type a Novell GroupWise password (if there
> is one) for the account used by Connector for Novell GroupWise. Click
> Next.
>
>              Note
>            You must specify a password only if the migration account has a
> GroupWise password. This is not the same password as the password for
> Novell
> NDS. To verify whether a GroupWise password must be specified, start the
> Novell GroupWise client for this account, and determine whether this user

ddeitter (6)
5/8/2006 4:52:18 PM
Version 5.5

We do not have a copy of the 5.2.5 version and I can not find it online.

I have triple checked the password issue.....

5/9/2006 3:13:33 AM
Here's the link to the 5.2.5 client:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2954295.htm

--

> [...]
>>> user's
>>> Novell GroupWise mailbox. It is recommended that you use the account
>>> that is
>>> already used by Connector for Novell GroupWise or a Novell NetWare admin
>>> account.
>>>
>>>            3.
>>>           In the Password box, type a Novell GroupWise password (if
>>> there
>>> is one) for the account used by Connector for Novell GroupWise. Click
>>> Next.
>>>
>>>              Note
>>>            You must specify a password only if the migration account has
>>> GroupWise password. This is not the same password as the password for
>>> Novell
>>> NDS. To verify whether a GroupWise password must be specified, start the
>>> Novell GroupWise client for this account, and determine whether this

5/9/2006 2:06:56 PM
Thanks Doug!  When I get back to work I will try it again, otherwise I'm
going to give up.

> Here's the link to the 5.2.5 client:
>
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2954295.htm
>
> --
> Doug Deitterick
> CNA, MCP
> Systems Administrator
> Pennsylvania College of Technology
> One College Avenue
> Williamsport, PA 17701
> ddeitter@pct.edu
>

> "Fred Smith" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Version 5.5
>>
>> We do not have a copy of the 5.2.5 version and I can not find it online.
>>
>> I have triple checked the password issue.....
>>

>> "Doug Deitterick" <ddeitter@pct.edu> wrote in message
>>> What version of the GroupWise client are you using?  We are going
>>> through a similar process at the moment and the only way I could get it
>>> to work was with the 5.2.5 client.  I created a different user and gave
>>> it proxy rights to the mailboxes.  Also, depending on your GroupWise
>>> setup, make sure that the user you are using has a GroupWise password
>>> instead of just an NDS password.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Doug Deitterick
>>> CNA, MCP
>>> Systems Administrator
>>> Pennsylvania College of Technology
>>> One College Avenue
>>> Williamsport, PA 17701
>>> ddeitter@pct.edu
>>>
>>> "Fred Smith" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

0
nospam7515 (2084)
5/9/2006 2:25:03 PM
Fred,

Did you make sure that the user you are supplying in step 8 has full proxy
access to the GroupWise mailbox? They need that more than being an admin in
Novell.

Ryan

> Thanks Doug!  When I get back to work I will try it again, otherwise I'm
> going to give up.
>

> "Doug Deitterick" <ddeitter@pct.edu> wrote in message
>> Here's the link to the 5.2.5 client:
>>
>> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2954295.htm
>>
>> --
>> Doug Deitterick
>> CNA, MCP
>> Systems Administrator
>> Pennsylvania College of Technology
>> One College Avenue
>> Williamsport, PA 17701
>> ddeitter@pct.edu
>>

>> "Fred Smith" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Version 5.5
>>>
>>> We do not have a copy of the 5.2.5 version and I can not find it online.
>>>
>>> I have triple checked the password issue.....
>>>

>>> "Doug Deitterick" <ddeitter@pct.edu> wrote in message

0
someone1 (389)

Installation exchange 2000 with a domain name
Dear All, I bought a domain name (glcinfo.com), and a PC for a server with Windows 2003 Enterprise. I would like install Exchange 2000 and create an emails address with my domain name. (ex : glecomte@glcinfo.com) I don't know how do ? Please can you help me ? Thanks in advance for your help. Best Regards Guillaume. Hi, That is not a simple question to answer. It all depends of your current setup. I would recommend starting here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/messsyst.mspx Leif "Guillaume LECOMTE" <lecomteguillaume@wanadoo.f...

Exchange Migration Forest Trust
Hello all Our compnay recently purchased another company and now I must migrate or import all the emails from the company we bought to our Exchange server. Company B is the comapny we bought, company A is the production company. Both domains are running Windows 2003 and are in 2000 native mode, i have setup a two way forest trust between the two forests. Becaue the Exchange servers are in different admin and routing groups i cant use the Migration wizard to migrate the mailboxes over, but what I was thinking of doing was first using Exmerge to export the emails from company B's Exc...

CRM 3 SB Edition on Windows Server Standard inside a SBS domain
I'm trying to install CRM 3 on Windows Server Standard inside a SBS domain but when I typpe the license key it tells me that I can only install CRM on a Windows Small Business Server 2003 or on a computer joined to the SBS domain. The server running Windows Server Standard 2003 is already inside the domain. How can I solve this issue? Please help me CRM 3.0 SBE can only be installed ON the SBS machine itself. -- Larry Lentz [CRM MVP] MCSE+I, MCSE W2K, MCDBA, MCSA Messaging Lentz Computer Services Microsoft Small Business Specialist San Antonio, Texas Larry@LentzComputer.net www.LentzC...

coppernic summarizer failed to load cannot find addin to uninstal
"Since upgrading notebook to windows 7 have unistalled Copernic and Coppernic Summarizer. However every time Outlook is opened a message appears The add- in "Copernic Summarizer" (C:Program Files\Coppernic Summarizer\Coppernic Summarizerapp.dll) Cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook. Please contact the add-in manufacturer for an update. If no update is available please unistall the add-in. The problem is the add-in is not visible in Otlook add-ins neither is the dll visible in program filesd, folder options has show hidden folders and files checked...

Error message0x8004010f Operation Failed
I keep getting this error message each time I try to send an email. I am connecting to a POP3 account. I have verified that my account settings are correct with my ISP. I have set up my address book. What can I do to correct this? -- Jay Thomas Jay Thomas <zaxon5002@hotmail.com> wrote: > I keep getting this error message each time I try to send an email. > I am connecting to a POP3 account. I have verified that my account > settings are correct with my ISP. I have set up my address book. > What can I do to correct this? 1) Disable any antivirus scanning of incoming m...

When to migrate to SQL server
How many records are too many for Access DB and would make it advisible to move to SQL? On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:08:01 -0800, Pastor Del <PastorDel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How many records are too many for Access DB and would make it advisible to >move to SQL? There's no hard and fast rule. Access has no specific record number limit; the entire size of a database cannot exceed 2GByte, so if you're pushing that, it's time to move. It's more often going to be issues of security, network architecture, hot backups, etc. that drive the decision. ...

Internet Printing: Printer Installation Failed. The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform
Hi. I have a SBS 2003 machine, I have 2 shared printers set up on it for remote users to print via IPP. Both printers are connected to Windows XP workstations. When I browse to https://servername/printers, I see all the printers. I can use the Connect link to install one of the printers on my workstation however if I select the second printer and click on Connect I eventually get the error: Printer Installation Failed The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform. Please contact your administrator to install proper driver files on the server. I've v...

IE8 group policies in Server 2003 AD domain?
OK, first of all can this be done? I see conflicting info about .adm vs ..admx templates. Are full .adm templates available for IE8? The advice I have seen to find the .adm template in C:\Windows\IE8 has resulted in an adm file dated 1-1-2007 and it sure doesn't seem to contain policies pertaining to 8 or even 7. My situation is an AD domain with XPSP3 clients and W2K3 servers and I don't see us updating in the near future but I have been told to go to IE8. If need be I can put a Vista or Win7 machine on the domain to manage the IE8 policies if they can then be appli...

Problems with Exchange 5.5 on windows 2000 Active Directory migration to Exchange 2003
Hi All I hope that someone out there can help me. I have an exchange 5.5 system sitting on a windows 2000 server Active directory server. I have installed a new windows 2003 server with exchange 2003 as the messaging platform. I have gone through the prep for windows 2000, moved all the roles, joined the domain and that all worked out great. The problem is that when I run the exchange migration wizard I get the following error: Unable to logon to the server. Please verify the server name, port, user name and password. I believe that this is a problem relating to the LDAP port (3...

Our exchange server is the domain controller too.i want to seperate them!??!!??!
Hi in our company we implement Exchange server as pilot.when i install it, i creat the domain controller on this. But we had a main domain cntroller before.now i want this exchange server to use the resource of our main domain controller.what should i do? Thanks Mina On 11 Mar 2006 21:09:33 -0800, "Mina" <mabbasi@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi >in our company we implement Exchange server as pilot.when i install it, >i creat the domain controller on this. But we had a main domain >cntroller before.now i want this exchange server to use the resource of >our main domain c...

SendAs for "Exchange Domain Servers" and "Exchange Enterprise Servers" denied
Hi all, I'm having problems with SMTP with all my exchange servers (4) under the same organization. The Event IDs are 7010 and 7004. I look them up and they are caused by the impossibility to authenticate between servers. I've made focus on the article 843106 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843106&sd=ee there, this paragraph call my attention: If Integrated Windows Authentication is enabled, but the events persist, the sending server in the 7004 event or in the 7010 event may lack or be denied the SendAs right on the receiving server. If the sen...

Migration from Linuz to Exchange
Sir, Need your help on the following: 1. We need to Migrate all information from LINUZ to exchange. All contacts and probably data needs to be migrated to exchange. How? 2. In exchange do we have option to filter or remove duplicate emails? Hoping for a positive response. Regards, Rommel Epino Hi, Are you using POP3 clients to this system? If yes you could use outlook to migrate the POP3 mails to pst files and then import these pst files to Exchange server. Leif "Rommel Epino" <RommelEpino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D1C24642-C4ED-4D8B-883A-F1B...

create a rule for *@domain.dns
hi, i'd like to create a mail rule in my outlook2003. All mails from domain.dns should be moved to a specific folder. but what is the wildcast character? i tried *@domain.dns and @domain.dns as well as domain.dns but it seems that only complete adresses like user@domain.dns are allowed. but i don't know "all" adresses of that company. So how to create such a rule? thanks for any help on this. Jan Jan Schmidt wrote: > hi, > > i'd like to create a mail rule in my outlook2003. > All mails from domain.dns should be moved to a specific folder. >...

What ports necessary on the Domain Controller?
I am trying to secure a Win2k public Active Directory domain controller by using RRAS packet filtering. This machine has Exchange 2000 as well. In order to have MSCRM on another server continue to communicate with it, what ports need to be open? Just the DNS port or are there other ports that MSCRM needs to communicate with the AD on? this may get you started https://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/ittasks/ tasks/adrepfir.asp "Louis" <louis@sadfds.com> wrote in message news:eGjZjXbZDHA.2328@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I am trying to secure...

Global Contact List
Is there a way to create a contact group that contains people who are not members of my domain? After searching help, I am at a loss on how to do so. Thanks in advance -- Craig Tuttle - Level I Exchange Tech UCNSB.org create a mail-enabled contact for each external address, create your distribution group, then add the contacts to the group... "Craig Tuttle" <CraigTuttle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D90E5F1-C9BA-4B3E-8FDD-2A97172DCAF3@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to create a contact group that contains people who are not > members of my domai...

wizard interface
I am trying to design a wizard interface with mfc. I'm attempting to create each "panel" separately and load/unload them into the "wizard" form (with next, back, cancel) at runtime. However, I'm not familiar enough with mfc to accomplish this. I've created each "panel" as a dialog. Is there a better way to handle this? TIA On 10 Feb 2006 07:33:10 -0800, dotnetchic wrote: > I am trying to design a wizard interface with mfc. I'm attempting to > create each "panel" separately and load/unload them into the "wizard" &g...

2nd Exchange 2003 Server install failed during setup. PLEASE HELP! #3
I received the following error message in the middle of the second Exchange2003 setup.during Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration setup "Setup failed while Creating Active Directory objects for Microsoft Exchange Server-Level Objects (error 0x80072030: There is no such object on the server" . In event viewer i have: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeSetup Event Category: Microsoft Exchange Setup Event ID: 1002 Date: 15/09/2005 Time: 12.04.11 User: N/A Computer: MAILTEST Description: Exchange Server component Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Serv...

Withdraw domain name from mail address
Hi, If i have a column with mail addresses. Is it possible then to withdraw the domain name from the address to the column next to it? example: cell A1= somebody@domainname33.com, cell A2= somebody2@domainname99.com, and so on. cell B1= domainname33, cell B2= domainname99 thanks in advance! With kindest regards, Xavier Vanmeerhaeghe =LEFT(A1,FIND("@",A1)-1) and copy down -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007k "Xavier Vanmeerhaeghe" wrote: > Hi, > > If i have a column with mail addresses. > Is it possible then to withdraw the domain name...

best way to migrate public folders
Hi all, Now, we are moving exchange 2000 users to exchange 2003 SP2 servers. BTW, what's the best way to migrate all public folders to the new servers? Thanks in advance. On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 09:35:02 -0700, Sally <Sally@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >Now, we are moving exchange 2000 users to exchange 2003 SP2 servers. BTW, >what's the best way to migrate all public folders to the new servers? > >Thanks in advance. > Create replicas on the new server. May want to take a gander at this as well. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822931/ ...

Adv Filter fails in macro, works manually
I created a form with comboboxes and textboxes so the user could select search criteria. The selections are written to the criteria range of a worksheet. Underneath the criteria range, on the same worksheet, is the extract range. Both ranges include column headers. The code does not give any run-time errors, but neither does it populate the extract range with any data. If I hardcode the criteria--i.e., bypass the form and enter the criteria directly on the spreadsheet--the extract range is populated with all the data, not just the ones with criteria entered. I thought perhaps...

CPropertySheet
Well, I thought the battle was nearly over but still Microsoft have stuck an unexpected "feature" into these wizards. The DDX save-and-validate is NOT called for the last dialog in the series i.e. when user presses FINISH button. Why not ????? Or, more importantly, how DO I get correct dialog behaviour back ? TTFN, Jon >The DDX save-and-validate is NOT called for the last >dialog in the series i.e. when user presses FINISH button. Jon, Have a look at Knowledge Base article 150349 "FIX: Finish Button Fails Data Transfer from Page to Variables". Dave -- ...

Data Migration manager setup fails.
I'm trying to instaal DMM on an XP machine. Everything goes fine until the installation is stopped. The message in my logfiles is: EVENT-Id:17188 MSCRMPERFCOUNTER. Sorry the rest is in Dutcht: Kan beschrijving voor gebeurtenis-ID (17188) in bron (MSCRMPerfCounters) niet vinden. De lokale computer beschikt wellicht niet over de benodigde registergegevens of DLL-berichtbestanden om berichten van een externe computer te kunnen weergeven. U kunt mogelijk de schakeloptie /AUXSOURCE= gebruiken om deze beschrijving op te halen, zie Help en ondersteuning voor details. De volgende gegevens z...

Inventory Wizard #2
We tried running the inventory wizard to change item costs, but it does not seem to affect supplier costs. The problem, then, is that if the store places a purchase order, they are not using the new cost. Is there a way to update the cost and supplier cost at the same time? Rick this is the most crazy thing i have ever seen a software do. I dont understand that when you change "supplier cost" inside of a PO at HQ why it doesnt change the "supplier cost" item. That makes no sense to me at all. My RMS vendor says the only way you can do that is by going to each item...

Forcing Text Import Wizard to run
Is there any way that I can force the Text Import Wizard to run when opening a file, from the command line, in Excel? We have a program that outputs .rpt files, which are comma delimited, and I have added a file association to open them in Excel. Unfortunately they then open with all data in one column. I know I can change the extension to .txt, but then each file has to be opened from within outlook. I want to be able to double click the file and open excel automatically, with the Import Text Wizard started. I want to modify the file association configuration to force the text wizard to run. ...

Failed to copy messages to the destination mailbox store.
Hello, I am trying to move mailboxes from exchange 2000 to exchange 2003 using acitve directory user and computer, by selecting exchange tasks, then move mailbox utility. I have successfully moved some users from exchange 2000 to exchange 2003, but i am getting this for some users. On the source server. Event ID 9172 Failed to copy messages to the destination mailbox store. Error: The MAPI call failed. MAPI or an unspecified service provider. ID no: 80004005-0000-00000000 Event ID 1008 Unable to move mailbox 'Goins, India'. Error: The MAPI call failed. MAPI or an unspecified...