Migrating to Win2K3 Server standard from Linux RedHat 9.1

Hello,
Here's the current situation at my office: The domain controller, DHCP,
mail , file , print , web server, gateway, firewall is all done by this
pretty old machine running linux Red Hat 9.1 with Samba server. The
current domain is LDAP, and all the workstations are WinXp or 2000.
We've decided to replace this server with a new one, running Windows
2003 Server Standard edition (for the DC, mail , file, print and web
server), and a dedicated router for the firewall and gateway functions..
My question is how to go trough the migration smartly (especialy the
domain migration - not having to replace domain users on the
workstations,...). I'm also wondering what is the best manner to perform
this (to simultaneously kill the old DC, and rise the new one, or to
perform an gredient transition?

I would appriceate any advice.
Thanks.
Andrija
0
aja.tvz (1)

andrija <aja.tvz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Here's the current situation at my office: The domain controller, DHCP,
>mail , file , print , web server, gateway, firewall is all done by this
>pretty old machine running linux Red Hat 9.1 with Samba server. The
>current domain is LDAP, and all the workstations are WinXp or 2000.
>We've decided to replace this server with a new one, running Windows
>2003 Server Standard edition (for the DC, mail , file, print and web
>server), and a dedicated router for the firewall and gateway functions..
>My question is how to go trough the migration smartly (especialy the
>domain migration - not having to replace domain users on the
>workstations,...). I'm also wondering what is the best manner to perform
>this (to simultaneously kill the old DC, and rise the new one, or to
>perform an gredient transition?
>
>I would appriceate any advice.

Well, the best advice would be to ask the uestion in the appropriate
newsgroup. None of your problem description has anything to do with
Exchange except maybe the mention of the word "mail" in the first
sentence.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/interopmigration/linux.mspx

"andrija" <aja.tvz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Here's the current situation at my office: The domain controller, DHCP,
> mail , file , print , web server, gateway, firewall is all done by this
> pretty old machine running linux Red Hat 9.1 with Samba server. The
> current domain is LDAP, and all the workstations are WinXp or 2000.
> We've decided to replace this server with a new one, running Windows 2003
> Server Standard edition (for the DC, mail , file, print and web server),
> and a dedicated router for the firewall and gateway functions..
> My question is how to go trough the migration smartly (especialy the
> domain migration - not having to replace domain users on the
> workstations,...). I'm also wondering what is the best manner to perform
> this (to simultaneously kill the old DC, and rise the new one, or to
> perform an gredient transition?
>
> I would appriceate any advice.
> Thanks.
> Andrija

0
exchange.mvp (559)
8/27/2005 11:19:02 PM
In terms of domain migration I don't see allot of information in general in
moving a LDAP based workstations to AD. If you need to move workstations on
mass from Linux to Windows AD scripting will assist. You would probably need
to know the workstation names and repopulate AD, once this is done a script
with the help of psexec could be used to add each workstation to new domain.
All printers and file shares could hang off the new Windows server. You can
use AD features to assign drive mappings and printers.

Go to this site for workstation scripts

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/hubs/desktop.mspx

Try this for psexec

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsExec.html

"andrija" <aja.tvz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Here's the current situation at my office: The domain controller, DHCP,
> mail , file , print , web server, gateway, firewall is all done by this
> pretty old machine running linux Red Hat 9.1 with Samba server. The
> current domain is LDAP, and all the workstations are WinXp or 2000.
> We've decided to replace this server with a new one, running Windows 2003
> Server Standard edition (for the DC, mail , file, print and web server),
> and a dedicated router for the firewall and gateway functions..
> My question is how to go trough the migration smartly (especialy the
> domain migration - not having to replace domain users on the
> workstations,...). I'm also wondering what is the best manner to perform
> this (to simultaneously kill the old DC, and rise the new one, or to
> perform an gredient transition?
>
> I would appriceate any advice.
> Thanks.
> Andrija

0
exchange.mvp (559)

Removing a server, need mail.
I have a question i hope someone can answer for me. I am removing a server from someones home (server 2000). There are 2 workstations connected to this server and the mail is stored on the server (in exchange i believe). The person no longer wants a server setup to make things easier for him to deal with. I need to get his mail, contacts, ect. off the server before i take it down. Is there an easy way of doing this so that I wont lose anything. I want to setup local POP on his machines and just use psts. Any help would be great. If it is in fact Outlook/Exchange, just export the data in...

Rules wizard for exchange server?
I would like to set up all email sent to a particular email address to another email address (my coworker just got a blackberry and I am not spending $$2,999.00 on Blackberry Enterprise Server for one user!!) In the past I was able to set up a "rule" for email filtering on my own client PC and then the server would ask me if I wanted to update the rules on the server itself. This in not happening since I rebuilt the server after our crash of death 2 weeks ago. any idea what setting i have missed if any? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. CMM. Just...

looking for trainer/instructor for Exchange Server 2003 in central VA
Does anyone know where I can locate a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 trainer/intructor in the central VA (i.e. Lynchburg) area? If so please contact me at kslrobert@yahoo.com ...

Windows 2003 server can't access its own shares but others can
Hey Guys I have a Windows 2003 server on a domain and its experiencing issues where it can't access its own share ex: \\servername\share however when you go on the different machine you can access it no problem. Its a windows 2003 R2 version any ideas how to fix this???? Regards, Andrew Hi, We are also having this issue but ours is on Windows Server 2003 SBS, however we think it's related to a Windows update, do you have any idea on what caused it? We would also apreciate any help. Regards Jonathan "Andew Waszkiewicz" wrote: > Hey Guys &...

Outlook Web Access is pointing someone to their old Exchange 5.5 mail server
Gurus, Why would Outlook Web Access be pointing someone to their old Exchange 5.5 mail server after they had been migrated to an new Exchange 2000 server? Do they need to clear out their browser cookies? In the office, their Outlook 2000 SR-1 client works just fine, in looking at the proper Exchange 2000 server. -- Clearing the browser cookies might help. Also check your IIS server and make sure that it's redirecting requests to the proper server. You might also try asking this question in the microsoft.public.exchange.clients newsgroup. This group is for support of Outlook whic...

Help #9
The problem I am having is when I open the workbook in question a message appears and states "The workbook you opened contains automatic links to information in another workbook. Do you want to update this workbook with changes made to the other workbook" Yes....... No. If I click No the workbook opens, however if I click yes the workbook just hangs and I have to go into task manager to close down the workbook. I assumed that there was a problem with one of the links, so I downloaded findlink, however all links appear to be okay. Does anyone have any suggestions? Double, an...

Adding and removing exchange servers
My current setup is as follows: Small Business Server 2003 being used as an exchange front end server. Exchange Enterprise edition used as the back end server. We plan to use the transition pack on the SBS box to break apart (license wise) exchange from that box. I would like to move exchange to a new server and still use it as a front end server. What problems can I expect and what should I look out for. I am trying to implement the same setup in a virtual environment, and I am having trouble with my new exchange server and OWA. When I try to access OWA, I do not get the tradition...

Change the standard margins in Word to save paper.
Change the standard format settings for word documents so that the margins are narrower. This would result in users being able to fit more information on a page and thereby use less paper. I already reduce my left and right margins from the standard 1.25 inches to just 1 inch each and I believe the documents are just as easy to read. Additionally, in many situations, it is more convenient to have just one page so you do not have to staple pages together or turn the page. If these reduced margins were the standards, individuals would not need to make the change and many would m...

User delete attachments on server?
I'm accessing an Exchange 2003 server via Outlook. Is there any way to strip attachments from messages on the server itself, rather than downloading to a folder on the local hard drive and deleting it there? TIA, S "downloading to a folder on the local hard drive" sounds like you have the delivery point set to a pst file, or you're using pop3? if an email is on the Exchange server, and you delete the attachment from the email, it hasn't been downloaded...? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "sinister" <sinister@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:OvF3OzKPG...

IMS
We have a back end Exchange 2003 cluster with two front end servers. How do you point the back end server to use both front end servers? How do you balance traffic across the two front end servers? Thanks! Use load balancing, either hardware based or software based (like Windows NLB) -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "John Stockball" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1183601c441c7$5b755510$a401280a@phx.gbl... > We have a back end Exchange 2003 cluster with two front > en...

Multiple Installations of SQL Server 2000
We will be running Great Plains and another application on SQL Server 2000 on the same server, and will need to install two instances of SQL Server 2000. I know this is possible, but I haven't ever done this and I'm looking for any and all caveats and tips and experiential advice! Such as where the two are physically installed . . . Bring it on! Thanks. I run this way on my development machine all the time. When you go to do the second installation (or third, or fourth...), you can choose to create a new SQL Instance. Then when you set up your ODBC connection, you'll se...

Little rusty on setting up an Internet-accessible mail server
Experts, Running Windows Server 2003 SP1. Exchange SP2 and IIS 6.0. Little rusty on setting up an Internet-accessible mail server. Have already setup the Default SMTP server which can successfully send/receive mail for two domains previously setup on the server (domains just being a DNS zone on the server, not an AD domain). Just recently added a third domain, this domain has MX records published to the Internet. DNS Reports can successfully connect to the server but is getting an unable to relay error when testing the first mailbox I setup in the domain. Now I think I needed to ...

32 bit EPM 2007 tools into 64 bits windows server 2003 ?
Hi, If I will install 32 bit project server 2007,project professional 2007,sqlserver 2005 which are all 32 bit in windows server 2003 which is 64 bit . will be any problem ? Or If I will install EPM softwares in which some are 64 bit and some are 32 bit to be install on windows server 2003 which is 64 bit . will be any problem ? and any requirement before starting to make backend server and front server to install epm 2007 . with 32 bit on 64 bit windows 2003. i am waiting for reply. Basim, you can eihter use 32 bit or 64 bit. Just make sure that you have the right...

HR and Payroll Suite 9
I have downloaded the new payroll extensions and when I am trying to install I get thismessage after the install location window: The installer has encounterd an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this packace. The error code is 2755. Anyone know what this means? thanks -- Doug Hello Doug- I had the same issue and it ended up being an issue with the *.exe files. I was able to obtain a winzip version of the files and do the install. Let me know if this link doesn't work: https://mbs.microsoft.com/fileexchange/?fileID=efab7913-f563-4aa3-ad...

OL2k7 Acting crazy in win2k8 server
Hey there, I'm running a windows 2008 server, and i'm trying to download emails from the pop3 server. however I cannot seem to , I've disabled all firewalls as well as antivirus to see if they were the problem, there is no change. If I move all the files out of the inbox (through webmail) the send/reiceve completes fine with no errors. If I move any small files back to the inbox one at a time, they successfully download. If I send a new file that's small it goes through, but if I send something with an attachment it hangs "AndreZ" <shmoes@hotmail.com> wr...

Permissions behaviours after installing Exchange 2003 servers into Exchange 2000 AG
We introduced two new Exchange 2003 servers into an admin group that has existing Exchange 2000 servers. These were the first Exchange 2003 servers in this native mode Exchange 2000 org. Forestprep/domainpreps were done previously. Now there are a few permissions behaviours which I wouldn't characterize as a problem, but tough to explain: 1) We customarily create a new test mailbox on a new server and give our group full mailbox access to it. On the new Exchange 2003 server, with my full mailbox access, I can open the mailbox, read messages, create/send new messages. However, if I try to ...

How to increase server timeout
I know how to increase it from the advanced tab from 1-10min. But my connection is not realy fast and with large attachments it needs to be more. In this case I have to go to the web site and download it from there. So again my question is can I realy increase it above 10min. Even from the registry if neccessary. Thanks in advance. No. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, ByNaK ...

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
Hi, I have Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3. Everytime I go to Microsoft Updates and attempt to download Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1, I get an error message....DOWNLOAD HAS FAILED. What could the problem be? Thank you for any assistance you can give me. Me to, Anybody?? "moon4707" <moon4707@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5286C7B5-9AB1-478C-A5EE-8F315A9EAB11@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3. Everytime I go to Microsoft > Updates and attempt to download Microsoft .NET Framewo...

Gartner response Cards envelope template 5 1/2 width 81/2 high
trying to find an envelope template for Gartner response Cards It is going to take 2 pieces of stock to make one envelope unless you are using tabloid paper. Gartner Cards are nice items, are you sure you want to cut and glue? http://acmoore.com/projects/weddingproducts.asp?ID=19 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CB278FDA-E4FD-456E-BF81-7C34BB734A01@microsoft.com... > trying to find an envelope template for Gartner response Cards ...

VS2008 and sql server
I installed VS2008 SP1 on one machine, somehow I have also sql server 2005 and 2008. On other machine I installed SP1 and only have 2005 sql server. I checked the rest of downloaded plugins and other VS stuff, but can't figure out how I got the server 2008. Mario I do not think that only SP1 is installing an SQL Server 2008 Express edition, but VS2008 does "Mario" <pascal@po.t-com.hr> wrote in message news:hn3jml$laq$1@ss408.t-com.hr... >I installed VS2008 SP1 on one machine, somehow I have also sql server 2005 >and 2008. On other machine...

Un-Provision Project Server Web Access
I am following some instructions on how to uninstall Project Server. The first step is to un-provision PWA instances. Does anyone know what is meant by un-provision in this situation? This is the link that I am working with http://projectserverblogs.com/?p=3480. Thanks. Hi Holly, Un-provision typically means removing the PWA instance. To do so: 1. go to Central Admin and choose the Project Server SSP 2. Select Manage Project We Access Sites 3. Select the PWA instance you want to un provision, select Delete from the context menu. Regards, Alex. "Holly Quinn&...

How do I remove a Exchange server site?
I have a problem. We had two exchange servers, one in each office, that was setup as it's own site. Mail flowed from the Main site to the other. The "other" was a broken down server and it finally gave out. We have no backups and I want to remove that site from our main server and have everyone get there mail from there. Is this possible? Thanks, Tony Definitely possible. If you were/are using Exchange 2000/2003 - then you will have to use tools such as ADSIEdit to cleanup the references in AD. On Wed, 31 May 2006 19:17:01 -0700, TonyM <TonyM@discussions.micros...

HQ Admin Error: To connect to this server you must use SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Management Objects(SMO)
I am having a problem with HQ Admin after upgrading to SQL Server Express on my HQ Server computer (running 1.3R). HQ Admin works fine in all respects from this computer. However, when I try to run HQ Admin from any other computer on the network I get this error when I try to connect: To connect to this server you must use SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Management Objects(SMO) I can run HQ manager and enter the configuration fine. However, I am restricted from connecting (so I can't run SQL queries). Any ideas? Apparently I am not alone... I found this old post on Goog...

More than 1 record source needed.
I have a form that is driven by a query that writes to a table. I want some data on the form to go to one table and some to others. What is the best way to accomplish this? Thank you for your assistance. Aha! That's a whole 'nother problem. First open up the Relationship Window and link tables together. For this to work right, you must have a primary key assigned to each table and a foriegn key in the matching table. Try to enable Referential Integrity on these joins. If it won't work, you probably have some dirty data. For example an employee without a valid boss. Af...

Mail Server error
I recently came across an error on a SBS 2003 exchange server that I support. In event viewer under application I have a series of these logs. This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1, connection #1085. The Client at "67.16.101.66"sent a "Rcpt" command and the SMTP server responded with "501 5.5.4 invalid address".The full command sent was "rcpt TO:<> " This will probably cause the connection to fail. This has been going on for almost a week and this shows up every few minutes. Is something hanging in the server or a zombie PC tryin...