migrating to Win2003 server and exch2003

Hi, All
My Win2000 domain consist of a single DC . All my FSMO roles are installed
on this domain controller along with exch2000. I need to move all mailboxes,
public folders and custom dist list to a new box that is running Win2003
server along with exch2003.
I have completed the following..
1) prep my domain ....ran adprep /forestprep
                                        adprep /domainprep
2) made Win2003 a member of the same domain (win2000)
3) Ran dcpromo to promote Win2003 to a DC
4) Move all FSMO role to this new Win2003 DC
5) Install Exch2003 on Win2003 DC
6) Move DNS to new Win2003
7) Move all mailboxes etc from Exch2000 to exch2003 using move mailbox
utility

I would now like to power off my Win2000 DC server. Can this be done now
granted that I have completed all the required steps..
Thanks
-Darren

0
Darren1537 (22)

http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307917

Make sure you have followed all the steps above.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:55:07 -0400, "Darren" <Darren@somewhere.com>
wrote:

>Hi, All
>My Win2000 domain consist of a single DC . All my FSMO roles are installed
>on this domain controller along with exch2000. I need to move all mailboxes,
>public folders and custom dist list to a new box that is running Win2003
>server along with exch2003.
>I have completed the following..
>1) prep my domain ....ran adprep /forestprep
>                                        adprep /domainprep
>2) made Win2003 a member of the same domain (win2000)
>3) Ran dcpromo to promote Win2003 to a DC
>4) Move all FSMO role to this new Win2003 DC
>5) Install Exch2003 on Win2003 DC
>6) Move DNS to new Win2003
>7) Move all mailboxes etc from Exch2000 to exch2003 using move mailbox
>utility
>
>I would now like to power off my Win2000 DC server. Can this be done now
>granted that I have completed all the required steps..
>Thanks
>-Darren

0
adavid (8731)
5/19/2004 2:00:00 AM
Also, from the DC side of the picture make sure you make the new DC a
Global Catalog Server (AD Sites & Services, in the properties of NTDS
Settings for that server, there's a checkbox).

816105 HOW TO: Create or Move a Global Catalog in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816105

Use DCPromo to demote the original DC before you completely remove it.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: Andy David - Exchange MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>Subject: Re: migrating to Win2003 server and exch2003
>Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 02:00:00 GMT
>
>http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307917
>
>Make sure you have followed all the steps above.
>
>On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:55:07 -0400, "Darren" <Darren@somewhere.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi, All
>>My Win2000 domain consist of a single DC . All my FSMO roles are installed
>>on this domain controller along with exch2000. I need to move all
mailboxes,
>>public folders and custom dist list to a new box that is running Win2003
>>server along with exch2003.
>>I have completed the following..
>>1) prep my domain ....ran adprep /forestprep
>>                                        adprep /domainprep
>>2) made Win2003 a member of the same domain (win2000)
>>3) Ran dcpromo to promote Win2003 to a DC
>>4) Move all FSMO role to this new Win2003 DC
>>5) Install Exch2003 on Win2003 DC
>>6) Move DNS to new Win2003
>>7) Move all mailboxes etc from Exch2000 to exch2003 using move mailbox
>>utility
>>
>>I would now like to power off my Win2000 DC server. Can this be done now
>>granted that I have completed all the required steps..
>>Thanks
>>-Darren

0
rroddy (682)

Removing IMS from last 5.5 server
I've got all mail going in and out from my 2003 server, the IMS on the 5.5 box has been stopped. So I decided I'd just follow through with the last step from 883407 (step 10) Where it says we can just delete the IMS. Well when I expand my 'connections' in the 5.5 administrator and try to delete the Internet Mail Server (Machinename) I get an error message that reads: "cannot find the file c:\program files\exchsrvr\smtp.uns error: C1037986" Is this really even a big deal if it's no longer doing any routing and I plan to have the box down within a few da...

Google SMTP server not responding
I'm having trouble configuring my Google account. I keep getting this message: "Your SMTP server has not responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for the server to respond? "Account: pop.gmail.com "Server: smtp.gmail.com" I seem to be able to send mail from the Google website so their server is probably OK. Any advice? The server on the website has nothing to do with the SMTP server. Next time you get that error message, click Cancel. That should produce a more complete error message which will include the protocol typ...

Exchange server
Every time I try to run Outlook, I get a message that says the exchange server is unavailable. Help If you do not connect to an exchange server, remove the service and install the Internet mail service. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Dave <linzeyt@msn.com> asked: | Every time I try to run Outlook, I get a message that says | the exchange server is unavailable. | | Help ...

ACCESS version migrating from 2003 to 2007
Can some tell me what all measure should we care when migrating from MS Access 2003 to MS ACCESS 2007? Changes to existing tables, queries, forms, reports. Not sure if Version or migration have seperate group to post this? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com There is some excellent information about A2007 here http://www.allenbrowne.com//Access2007.html I like to create a new database in A2007 and import all the tables, forms etc into the new database. There may be some errors to fix when you first open after converting. Allen's website above tells yo...

problems with imap server
i have been able to read and access my imap folder and read all new mail until just recently. now i keep getting the following message, "cannot open set of folders. server is unavailable." does anyone know if this is a common problem and how can i resolve it??? please help if possible. ...

Migrating Exchange 5.5 multi-sites question
Hi We have a Windows 2000 AD Domain with an Exchange 5.5 organisation with 4 remotes sites located in remote locations. I installed Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 member server in SiteA. This server has the ADC installed with 4 CAs. I have moved the users from SiteA into Exchange 2003 with no problems. I plan to install Exchange 2003 on new Windows 2000 servers in the remote sites and move users using the wizard. The question is do I need ADC installed on these remote sites servers with CAs so that I can move users. Will these CAs be two-way.?? Is there anything else I would need to do.?? ...

Migrating Customer from SBF to GP
As far as the process of 'migrating' a customer from SBF to GP, is all you need to do is install GP, create a company database, and then restore that database from a backup of the SBF company (the table structures within the db’s “look” identical). Dear Veridicus, I am not sure! I would prefer to use integration manager instead, easy and safe. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Software Development Manager +962 - 79 - 999 65 85 Great Package For Business Solutions daoudm@greatpbs.com http://www.greatpbs.com "Veridicus" wrote: > As far...

DEADLOCK_ENUM_MUTEX and SQL Server Data Collector
I recently implemented the Performance Datawarehouse on our production server after running it in our test environment for months with no problems. I am currently only collecting the 3 basic collection sets. Today 2 'SQL Server Data Collector' spids got hung and will not rollback. Normally the collection jobs take about 1.5minutes according to the log. Today though, the QueryStatisticscollection job was running for over 30minutes and causing the ActivityMonitor to error. I stopped the collection sets and the associated jobs. This did nothing to alleviate the problem. The ...

MFC/SQL Server 2005 Express Connection Issues
Hello again, Recently I have been experiencing problems connecting to my database either through an MFC App or also Managed C++. Essentially I haven't been able to connect locally to the database, but I have been able to do so for the past several months. I am attempting to connect locally either to a particular database or just SQL Server (to create a database let us say). Here are some of the connection strings I use: 1) workstation id=(local); Integrated Security = SSPI 2) Driver={SQL Server};workstation id=(local); Initial Catalog = DBQuality;Integrated Security = SSPI 3) Driv...

File Backup failed on Win2003 cluster
Hi, we have a protection group that backs up three folders which are on a failover cluster (Win2003). It was working fine, but then following error started to appear: Description: Recovery point creation jobs for Volume F:\ have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 18. If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed. (ID 3114) Cannot create a recovery point because of a transient problem. (ID 215 Details: Unknown error (0x80042306) (0x80042306)) ...

SQL Server Sort Order for Business Portal
Hi all, Our existing SQL Server database for GP uses a Binary sort order. We are trying to install Business Portal (using Windows Share Point Services) but the the install instructions says it can only be installed on SQL Server with sort order 52 (Dictionary Order, Case Insensitive). If we create a new SQL Server instance using sort order 52 for Business Portal, are there any issues we may run into in the future regarding data exchange with GP? Thank you. LR You can either create a new SQL Server instance using DOCI or you can let the system install SQL Express which will automatic...

Server will not relay mail
I'm getting an error that the exchange server from one exchange 2000 server in one office "will not RELAY mail" to any address on another exchange 2003 Server in another office. Mail to any other destination works fine on either Server and mail between these 2 offices was flowing fine until last week. There is nothing set in Message Filtering. Do those servers belong to the same Exchange Organization? Does the Exchange 2003 server receive mail from other locations? Can you telnet port 25 of that server? -- Blog "subject: exchange" http://spaces.msn.com/member...

Help Migrating
I can please use some help and suggestions for moving exchange to a new domain. This is the current configuration: I have 1 domain (D1) on a Win 2000 server running AD. D1 has only 1 other member computer also Win 2000 Server running IIS and Exchange 5.5. The other Domain (D2) is a NT4 server that has all users workstations(~30) and a Win2000 SQL server. D1 and D2 have a trust relationship. The service account that runs Exchange is the Administrator for D1. Current emergency is that the machine running D1 is failing. We would like to move everything to a new Win2003 server and seperate Exch...

Migrate Unicode data from MS Access to Oracle
I need to migrate Unicode data from MS Access to Oracle. Have tried the following: -Exported the Access tables to csv/txt, but these files were generated in ANSI encoding, and the Unicode data got converted to ASCII characters. -ODBC export directly to the Oracle tables doesn't work either. -However, when the table is exported to excel, Unicode encoding is retained. I'm not looking for any tools as we are already using one (Access-To-Oracle by Intelligent Converters). After buying it, we realized that we needed Unicode conversion as well and that it doesn't support the same. So b...

REPOST: Portfolio Server
All, In PPS 07, there is the schedule tab. It prepopulates with the Start and End dates as milestones. Is there any way to tell the application to use a different "template?" In other words, I want more than just Start/End dates as milestones - I want other things as milestones. This will greatly enhance usefulness to project managers when the project gets exported to Project Server for the first time. John Hi John, I definitely can't give you the authoritive answer on this one, but from attempting to do just that I found that the only way would be to use...

what is a e-mail web exchange server
When I try to start my Outlook it advises it does not find my exchange server. I use Hotmail. What is the exchange server. Exchange Server is the name of the corporate email server product that complements Outlook. It seems someone has configured an email account in Outlook for Exchange Server. What does it show in your account settings? "larpitts" <larpitts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65C2C501-78C3-488E-B94E-A2581E23518D@microsoft.com... > When I try to start my Outlook it advises it does not find my exchange > server. I use Hotmail. What...

deleting the dynamics.dic file on the server
Hello: Someone at a client of ours went in and somehow managed to accidentally delete the dynamics.dic file from the server’s GP code folder. Now, GP will of course not run on the server. The client tried to alleviate this issue by copying the dynamics.dic file and dex.ini file from a working workstation. That did not work. They still get errors on the server whenever someone tries to launch GP from the server (Visual Basic initialization failure, ".tlb files are missing", outdated versions of OLE system files are present, etc.) The client does not have a backup of this c...

Install CRM & SQL on same server
I know it's not recommended, but it is possible. Anyone experience performance issues or any other issues related to having the two installed on the same server? Thanks, Chris It is the default install for MS CRM SBE running on Microsoft Small Business Server.. -- Anne Stanton, MVP-CRM, MBA/ACC President The Norwich Group http://www.thenorwichgroup.com http://thenorwichgroup.blogs.com "Chris Hedlund" <chrishedlund@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O4UmvratGHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... >I know it's not recommended, but it is possible. Anyone experien...

Urgent
Hi I installed the Update for Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (KB924334) last night and today we've been experiencing problems sending emails. When we send emails we get responses such as: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: sdfsd Sent: 31/10/2006 15:39 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'test@xxxx.co.uk' on 31/10/2006 15:39 There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <server2.xxxx.co.uk #5.5.0 smtp;550-Verification failed for jonathan.wilkin...

Setup server to email administrator when a users mailbox is full
Is it possible to have either exchange server (2003 in this case) or windows server 2003 email the administrator or postmaster account to alert him to the fact a users exchange mailbox is full (full in regard to the imposed limit by the admin)?? or when an event is generated to the fact? Thanks so much for your time in advance, Seth On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:07:02 -0800, "Seth at Sherwood" <SethatSherwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to have either exchange server (2003 in this case) or windows >server 2003 email the administrator or postmaster ...

Outlook 2003: Removing from POP server...
The Mac version of Outlook, Entourage, has a very cool way to manually remove emails from one's POP3 mailserver (might work with Exchange, too, but I don't know...). Anyway, there's an icon in your email list that shows whether the mail is still on the server (a little blue star thingy)... You click on the star, and you have the choice to remove the message from the server. (THis is especially cool for if you're checking mail on two different computers, or on a handheld, and you don't want to get a particular message or messages the next time you log on with the different ...

Migrating from pilot to new CRM
Hey there, in the middle of migrating my data from a pilot install of CRM to the production version. Had to re-install as had the MSDN version for the pilot, and am now migrating my data across. Although have GUID mapped all old - new Users, Territories, Business Units I can't see any data through the web client? Can obviously run the queries directly on the database, and ran a trace in which the same commands used when on the web client return with no records, while when running the same on Query analyser show results???/ can anyone help? Well just to add further to my own ...

Visual studio with CRM server
When i install VS.Net on CRM Server it install another framework version and CRM dosent work after that . I need to use VB.NET with CRM and idea how i can accomplish this on the same server or can i do it from another machine ? Hi, VS.NET work well opn the CRM Server. If you have CRM 1.2 you need to install VS.NET 2003 (.NET Framework 1.1). If you have CRM 1.0 you need to install VS (.NET Framework 1.0) "Silverwing" wrote: > When i install VS.Net on CRM Server it install another framework version and CRM dosent work after that . I need to use VB.NET with CRM and ide...

Project 2007 Server migration
We're trying to migrate MS Project Server 2007 (databases only) from a VM environment to a production system. The Application server (front end) will remain where it is, but will need to be reconfigured to point to the new system. Looking for documentation/tips on how best to attempt this. Details are as follows. Old DB system: Virtual Server 2005 VM Windows Server 2003 R2 SQL Server 2005 Standard New DB system: Physical machine Windows Server 2008 R2 SQL Server 2008 Standard -- Charlatat ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ch...

MFC Support for ATL EXE com server #2
Hello, How to add MFC Support for ATL EXE com server in VC++ .NET 2003? It's simple for DLL. Just check box on ATL Wizard form. How to add it for EXE com server in VC++ .NET 2003? Thanks for the help, Leonid See if the following KB articles offers any help. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=181505 http://support.microsoft.com/?id=173974 -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Leonid" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:011401c3d61c$4416f750$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > How to add ...