Migrating E5.5/NT4 to E2003/W2K

I am going to be migrating E5.5 to E2003 very soon
Can anyone please give me tips
as I would like to avoid as many probs a possible.

I can use the same IP, Domain name etc

Thanks in Advance
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi,

Done a few of those You could do an in-place upgrade but you must be
absolutely sure about your backups. For me, the easiest (and probably
safest) way is to do a new installation of 2003 and run the two systems in
parralel until all users have been migrated to the new system before
shutting down the old system.

I short:

Suppose you have alias@demo.com as your current e-mail domain:

1.    Create an Internal Custom Recipient e-mail address for your AD users
as well as your standard e-mail address i.e. each user should have
SMTP:alias@demo.com and smtp:alias@demo.local.
2.    Create an Internet Mail Connector on your old system for demo.local to
send to your new system.
3.    Create disabled accounts for all your users with external e-mail
addresses alias@demo.com. (You can use CSV-files and CSVDE tool that is
standard for 200x).
4.    Ensure that you have the tick box checked for your 'Recipient Policy'
that says 'This organization is not responsible for this domain' associated
with @demo.com in the Exchange System Manager for 2003.
5.    As soon as you enable a user on the new system with a mailbox you then
create a Custom Recipient on the old system do send all new mail to
alias@demo.local.
6.    When all users have been migrated you change your MX-record and shut
down the old system.

What is nice about this way of doing the migration is that you are not
touching your 5.5 system in case your new system fails.

There are some down-sides though:

1.    No calendering between these two systems are available by default.
2.    Your GAL's may be out of sync as it is not updated in real-time by
default.
3.    You have to visit each desktop to change from DOMAIN and/or Exchange
ORG.

If you do not have a large implementation this is not a train-smash
otherwise you can use tools from Quest Software (expensive but useful).

Mail me if you need more pointers.

--
Cheers
DV

"Neda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am going to be migrating E5.5 to E2003 very soon
> Can anyone please give me tips
> as I would like to avoid as many probs a possible.
>
> I can use the same IP, Domain name etc
>
> Thanks in Advance

0
vinkad (70)
5/3/2004 6:04:13 AM
For much lower risk use the "swing server" method rather than doing an
in-place upgrade.
--
Ed Crowley
Celebrating a decade of Exchange peer support

"Neda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am going to be migrating E5.5 to E2003 very soon
> Can anyone please give me tips
> as I would like to avoid as many probs a possible.
>
> I can use the same IP, Domain name etc
>
> Thanks in Advance

Baie dankie, Vinkad

jy moenie you email address uit gee, en my afrikaans is swak
Heirdie OU ED is geen help

Kan eek you direct email

Neda
0
anonymous (74722)
5/3/2004 12:51:02 PM
Apologies in advance if you are not Afrikaans

Miskin kan eek you bell?
0
anonymous (74722)
5/3/2004 1:11:03 PM
Well, you can't do an in-place upgrade from 5.5 to 2003 (thankfully).

Exchange 2003 has a set of deployment tools that walks you through the
process. If you follow the deployment tools you should be good to go...

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: vinkad@eskom.co.za
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>Subject: Re: Migrating E5.5/NT4 to E2003/W2K
>Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 08:04:13 +0200
>
>Hi,
>
>Done a few of those You could do an in-place upgrade but you must be
>absolutely sure about your backups. For me, the easiest (and probably
>safest) way is to do a new installation of 2003 and run the two systems in
>parralel until all users have been migrated to the new system before
>shutting down the old system.
>
>I short:
>
>Suppose you have alias@demo.com as your current e-mail domain:
>
>1.    Create an Internal Custom Recipient e-mail address for your AD users
>as well as your standard e-mail address i.e. each user should have
>SMTP:alias@demo.com and smtp:alias@demo.local.
>2.    Create an Internet Mail Connector on your old system for demo.local
>send to your new system.
>3.    Create disabled accounts for all your users with external e-mail
>addresses alias@demo.com. (You can use CSV-files and CSVDE tool that is
>standard for 200x).
>4.    Ensure that you have the tick box checked for your 'Recipient Policy'
>that says 'This organization is not responsible for this domain' associated
>with @demo.com in the Exchange System Manager for 2003.
>5.    As soon as you enable a user on the new system with a mailbox you
then
>create a Custom Recipient on the old system do send all new mail to
>alias@demo.local.
>6.    When all users have been migrated you change your MX-record and shut
>down the old system.
>
>What is nice about this way of doing the migration is that you are not
>touching your 5.5 system in case your new system fails.
>
>There are some down-sides though:
>
>1.    No calendering between these two systems are available by default.
>2.    Your GAL's may be out of sync as it is not updated in real-time by
>default.
>3.    You have to visit each desktop to change from DOMAIN and/or Exchange
>ORG.
>
>If you do not have a large implementation this is not a train-smash
>otherwise you can use tools from Quest Software (expensive but useful).
>
>Mail me if you need more pointers.
>
>--
>Cheers
>DV
>adv@arivia.co.za (Do not use the @eskom.co.za)
>

>"Neda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I am going to be migrating E5.5 to E2003 very soon
>> Can anyone please give me tips
>> as I would like to avoid as many probs a possible.
>>
>> I can use the same IP, Domain name etc
>>
>> Thanks in Advance

0
rroddy (682)
5/4/2004 2:38:28 PM
Ek is Afrikaans en ongelukkig is ons news-server so ge-configure om e-mail
te wys.

Van waar is jy?

--

> Apologies in advance if you are not Afrikaans.
>
> Miskin kan eek you bell?

0
vinkad (70)
5/5/2004 7:57:44 AM
Ek vas geboere in pretoria en no bly ek in london (10 jaar) dis hoecome my afrikaans so swak is

goed om you to ontmoet
0
anonymous (74722)
5/5/2004 10:01:10 AM
Ek bly in Centurion (Pta) en ja jy kan my e-mail maar gebruik.

Engels is ook OK.

--

> Ek vas geboere in pretoria en no bly ek in london (10 jaar) dis hoecome my
afrikaans so swak is.

> goed om you to ontmoet

0
vinkad (70)

5.5 Imported public folders into 2000
Hi Al I'm a fledgling sysadmin for Exchange and have inherited a problem, which doesn't affect operation but is driving me crazy My predecessors had upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 and it had gone horribly worng apparently, anyway the sytem is up and runnin gbut I have a problem with Public Folders There are two folders that need removing but none of the current users had permissions to control it. The only visible permissions are Everyone and Anonymous User with read access only When you try and view in System Manager, you get an Error "The object is no longer available. ...

Bar Graphs #5
Hi all, I have set-up a bar-graph consisting of four horizontal bars. I would like to overlay one particular bar onto another specific bar - leaving the other two as is. Is this possible? I have looked at the 'Overlap' option but unfortunately while this is on the right theme, it overlaps everything! Any help greatly appreciated! On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Don <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I have set-up a bar-graph consisting of four horizontal bars. I would like >to overlay one particular bar onto another specific bar - leaving ...

Transfers #5
How do I keep transfers between accounts and institutions from showing up as expenses and income in monthly and other reports. Must be something simple but I have yet to find it. Thanks! M05/M06? Essential Register? Category "Credit Card Payments/Transfer"? In Advanced Register, there is a special Category called "Transfer" and another called "Credit Card Payment". They are precisely for this purpose. Set Money to use Advanced Registers if you haven't already. Also see http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=167 re. the entirely bogus Expense Category calle...

Exchange 5.5 RPC Problems
Our 5.5/SP4 environment has started to be problematic regularly, since it's been in a mixed AD 2003/5.5 site. The 3x 5.5mailbox servers will "randomly" lose RPC conenctivity to Outlook clients, however OWA will continue to work. There's nothing suspicious logged in the event logs. The only fix is to restart the information store, or if it's our IMAP server, we have to restart the whole server otherwsie IMAP won't work. Any clues, or tools? I've tried RCP Ping tools but the documentation is shitty. How can I use that to determine the availability, ideally I coul...

VLOOKUP #5
Hi, Can someone please help me. I am using Vlookup to look up a table and bring nack relevant information. When the information is not found vlookup returns N/A. Is there any way of vlookup returning an empty cell if no info is found Rgds Gordon =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(...)),"",VLOOKUP(....)) HTH -- AP "gordo" <gordon.brown24@btinternet.com> a �crit dans le message de news:1143878499.265471.15390@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > Can someone please help me. I am using Vlookup to look up a table and > bring nack relevant information. When the informa...

send/recieve error #5
After me pc has been online for most of the day, then left idle when I try to sync I get a send/recieve error and have to restart to correct the problem? Any sugestion. ...

Multiple Data Migrations
We have our initial information in CRM. Can we do more data migrations of new accounts and products with our current CRM data intact so that it will just append to what we have out there? Yes, according to the documentation, the DMF always appends. Regards, Matt Narayan. >-----Original Message----- >We have our initial information in CRM. Can we do more >data migrations of new accounts and products with our >current CRM data intact so that it will just append to >what we have out there? >. > Yes and No - if you already have the Accounts and Products in CRM you...

ERM for CDF-Migration?
Is there any clearer documentation for the CDF-tables such as an ERM or similar? i have to migrate a act! 6 database. i also wonder, if there is a mistake in the acttocdfmapping.xls i know, that its for act 2006, but also there must be a reference to the object of an annotation. in the xls there is none and so there cant be one in the finished migration. so how can i put a reference on an note? I've been looking at this too but for Goldmine, as I don't want to buy the Scribe tool. If you launch Data Migration Framework on the crm server, the help file has a bit more about this....

Exchange 5.5 server not updating Service Pack.
Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 5.5 loaded on it. Windows was at SP2, and Exchange was at SP1. Updated Windows to SP4, rebooted, all works well. Went to update Exchange to SP4, and it tells me that a newer version is already installed, and Update quits. Same thing happens with SP3 or SP4 for Exchange. I can check the Mad.exe and the Store.exe, and both versions report Version 6.0 Build 4712.7 (Service Pack 1). This does not make any sense to me. I know you do not have to install Exchange SP's before Windows, as I have loaded other Win2K boxes, updated to SP4 and then upgraded Exc...

Wince 5.0 Sdio
Hi Experts, I have one doubt regarding sdio support in windows ce 5.0. Which type of sdio specification is support in windows ce 5.0? Is it support sdio 1.1 compatible devices? please reply... This is the wrong newsgroup for CE. Try a CE newsgroup. "Sreehari" <anumanubhaskar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:8d372451-ce01-4e1b-9e35-3fd5b8d2fce3@13g2000prl.googlegroups.com... > Hi Experts, > > I have one doubt regarding sdio support in windows ce 5.0. Which > type of sdio specification is support in windows ce 5.0? Is it support > sdio 1.1 ...

Template Wizard with Data Tracking #5
The Template Wizard is not part of excel 2003 and I can't find it on Microsoft's web site as an add in. Is it still available? If not, how can I recreate it? Thanks. ...

Problems migrating PST files from Outlook 2000 to 2003
One of the users I support bought a new laptop with Office2003 on it. Her old machine had all the mail in 2 PST files (outlook.pst and archive.pst.) After setting up her mail (Internet mail for her home office,) I copied over the pst files. I closed outlook and set up the personal folders from the mail icon in the control panel. I selected the folder type as outlook 97~2002. When I open outlook, I can see the folders within the personal folders but not the mail. I tried the inbox repair tool but it didn't help. This is the first time I've worked with Outlook2003 and frankly ...

Real Exchange 5.5 issues
I just attempted to upgrade my Exchange 5.5 server to sp4. It was not the smoothest process to say the least. When I open the exchange administrator console and click on the help menu then about it says version 5.5 (build 2653.23: Service Pack 4). However when I check the properties on the server, it says version 5.5 (build 2448.8: Service Pack 2). When I start the exchange admin in raw mode there is no way to change the version of the server and I am receiving errors when I try to generate new email addresses (KB article 158336). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Aaron Hi Aa...

Link to a good sample book chapter on Migrating exchange 2003
I'm not sure what the name of this book is because I got the link through a google search but I think it contains helpful information for people who are migrating exchange. Among other things, it went into some good detail on the Active Directory Connector and how it works. You could probably find similar info on MS white papers but not as easy to understand. http://www.aw-bc.com/samplechapter/032122874X.pdf ...

migrating Exchange 2000 to New Hardware Platform
Hi there, I've been asked to carry out the following task. Migrate an existing Exchange server (hosting 350 mailboxes) from a Proliant ML 370 to a Blade Server. For the sake of this enquary, I call the ML370 the "OLD" server and I'll call the Blade the "NEW" server. The Old server has a standard HDD configuration. 2 mirrored disks for the Operating System and 3 HDD's striped with RAID 5 for exchage. The new server has 2 HDD's. Can this migration be done??? I have a little expereince with Exchange, enought to know that if want to impliment RAID 0+1...

Exchange 5.5
I maintain an Exchange 5.5 server with 150 mailboxes. It is the standard version of Exchange, so I am limited by the 16 gigabyte cap on my Priv.edb file. I do not have any public folders We are currently planning to upgrade the server, but we need to keep it running on 5.5 for at least a few more months. Lately, we have been getting closer and closer to our 16 gig limit A mailbox cleanup is conducted every day of all mail older than one week. Mail is deleted from all folders and the deleted items storage during this cleanup, which is performed using Exchange Administrator. Deleted Items...

Exchange 5.5 reboot required
On our Exchange server that is running exchange 5.5 and NT 4 we have to reboot it everytime we add a new user to E-Mail and our AD on the 2003 server before the user can log into there E-Mail. Any Ideas? The Exchange server can see the user in User manager and I can assign the user as the primary mail account but it denies security like the SID is not being propergated to the NT 4 server until you reboot it. Are the databases replicating between nt 40 and ad? "Tim Comes" wrote: > On our Exchange server that is running exchange 5.5 and NT 4 we have to > reboot it every...

Outlook won't start #5
I had to re-install Outlook 2000 and now when i try to open i get an "the operation failed" message and it closes - i can open a new email, appointement etc from the office toolbar however. i have tried to repair and re- install but no help. ...

how to get the means and stdandard errors of every row in 5 coulum
Hi, can you tell me how to get statistics on five different colums of numbers: specifically, how to get means and st. errors of every row in five columns. Thanks, Joanna "jt42" wrote: > Hi, can you tell me how to get statistics on five different > colums of numbers: specifically, how to get means and > st. errors of every row in five columns. I assume you mean "of each row". The formula =AVERAGE(A1:E1) provides the average of row 1. The formula =STDEV(A1:E1) provides the standard deviation. The standard error is =STDEV(A1:E1)/SQRT(COUNT(A1:E1)) . Use STDEVP(...

Top 5 vs Bottom 5
Here is the problem I have now I am trying to view the top 5 in a group of data. I have been trying to use the formula as follows: =VLOOKUP(LARGE($I$2:$I$1000,1),$I$2:$BW$1000,67,FALSE) =VLOOKUP(LARGE($I$2:$I$1000,2),$I$2:$BW$1000,67,FALSE) =VLOOKUP(LARGE($I$2:$I$1000,3),$I$2:$BW$1000,67,FALSE) =VLOOKUP(LARGE($I$2:$I$1000,4),$I$2:$BW$1000,67,FALSE) =VLOOKUP(LARGE($I$2:$I$1000,5),$I$2:$BW$1000,67,FALSE) I have these in Cells BZ2-6. Col I has the data that I need to be sorted into the top five and column BW has the data I need as to what person that data belongs to which is the info I need...

Originator in 5.5 queue is <>
It looks like my exchange 5.5 server is being used for relays or something. When I check the queues in my IMC connector, there is invariably 10 to 20 messages all from originator <>. Any idea what is happening here and how I can prevent unauthorized relaying? I have read MS articles and gone through securing the server, but I must have missed something, or there is a larger problem. Thanks for your time, Aaron Most of the time these ndr's being sent back by your server as a result of a legitimate or SPAM being misaddressed to your domain. The <> sender is used to prevent m...

Macros #5
Hello and How are you I was wondering if anyone could help me with the code in macros in excel 97. What I have done is set up for a race and whenever someone crosses over the finish line the timer hits a button and the time is recorded. What is the code to make it go to the next line down (Vertically) so that the timer doesn't always have to have it on the right cell. Thankyou and have a great day Jessica ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi There...

xml serialization #5
All - I'm pretty comfortable with simple XML serialization of objects. However I observed something the other day and I wanted to know if I solved it the right way. Basically if I have a string which contains a single xml node, I can serialize with this line of code: object = (object)serializer.Deserialize(new XmlTextReader(xml,XmlNodeType.Element,null)); where xml is the string that represents the node However if the string contains two nodes that individually would serialize to the "object" I have to do the following to be able to serialize to an array. Code looks like t...

Exchange 5.5 and inbound connections
I have an Exchange 5.5 server and inbound messages are being routed directly to its IP address instead of the IP address in the DNS. We have an external email scanning service that scans for viruses and spam and then forwards only 'clean' email to our server. Spammers are bypassing the outside service by directly targeting the exchange servers IP address. What I need to do is only accept inbound messages from the IP addresses of the outside service and stop all other messages. In addition, I still need to be able to have SMTP available for relaying for users that authenticate. ...

OWA #5
How do I get the files (contacts/calendar/tasks) on my companies server via OWA to sync with Outlook on my home pc and laptop. I also have an iPaq pda and a wireless blackberry on all computers. Any help would be appreciated!!! You can't sync via OWA - OWA is just a browser view of your Exchange mailbox. You would need something like an offline folder with a laptop to synch Exchange with a non-Exchange profile. Otherwise, you can try one of the suggestions here: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the...