Migrate/upgrade 5.5 SP4 to Exch 2000

I need to migrate/upgrade Exch 5.5SP4 to Exch 2000.
Ex5.5 sits on a stand alone NT 4.0 SP6a server and want to upgade this to
W2K SVR and install Exch 2000 onto it, then finally migrate/upgrade Exch 5.5
private/pub mail boxes to it.
Does the W2K SVR have to be running 'Active directory services' to support
Exch 2000?
If I installed W2K SRV as a stand alone server (will introduct W2K Active
directory services later removing NT4 domain infrustructure later) then run
the following:
i) simply run a cold BU of EXCH 5.5, then restore 'priv & pub.edb's' along
with associated 'dsadata & mdbdata' log files (simular to a 5.5 recovery
from online BU's) onto the stand alone 2K svr.
Once the environment has moved to W2K AD/DC (NT4 PDC/BDC removed) can the
Exch 2000 svr still remain a stand alone server?

Bit confused on this one.

Regards

Steve

0
hazjon16 (2)

Hi Steve

Active Directory does not need to be "installed" on the E2k server.  In
ohter words, the E2k server does not need to be a Domain Controller.  It can
be a member server.  However,  the Exchange server needs to be a member of
an Active Directory domain.  So you need to have at least one DC with Active
Directory installed.  It is preferable that your accounts be migrated to AD
prior to installing AD and the preferred way to do this would be to upgrade
your PDC.

For more info see

316886 HOW TO: Migrate from Exchange Server 5.5 to Exchange 2000 Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316886

Hope this helps

--
Melissa Travers, MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

"steveb" <hazjon16@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> I need to migrate/upgrade Exch 5.5SP4 to Exch 2000.
> Ex5.5 sits on a stand alone NT 4.0 SP6a server and want to upgade this to
> W2K SVR and install Exch 2000 onto it, then finally migrate/upgrade Exch
5.5
> private/pub mail boxes to it.
> Does the W2K SVR have to be running 'Active directory services' to support
> Exch 2000?
> If I installed W2K SRV as a stand alone server (will introduct W2K Active
> directory services later removing NT4 domain infrustructure later) then
run
> the following:
> i) simply run a cold BU of EXCH 5.5, then restore 'priv & pub.edb's' along
> with associated 'dsadata & mdbdata' log files (simular to a 5.5 recovery
> from online BU's) onto the stand alone 2K svr.
> Once the environment has moved to W2K AD/DC (NT4 PDC/BDC removed) can the
> Exch 2000 svr still remain a stand alone server?
>
> Bit confused on this one.
>
> Regards
>
> Steve

0
mtravers (146)

Exchange Server 5.5 #2
Does anyone see this error before? I tried to find in MS Knowledge Base but not found. Event ID: 13000, An error occurred while rendering a message for download on mailbox. Thanks in advance -- --------------------------------------------------------------------- "Are you still wasting your time with spam?... There is a solution!" Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector The most powerful anti-spam software available. http://mail.spaminspector.com Hi Toby, What service pack is Exchange at? This problem was fixed in SP3. If you have SP4 installed, I would reapply it ...

Upgrade to Win 2000
Currently I'm using the old system I bought in 1998. It is Dell Dimension XPS 266MHz Pentium II, RAM 128Mb. Can I upgrade this system from Windows 95 to Windows 2000? If yes, what should I do to get it done right? Thanks All. Given that this newsgroup is for Macintosh and Office, I'd suggest asking elsewhere, perhaps microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade In article <Er9Zc.538894$Gx4.479811@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "Peter Chernyak" <kremenets@worldnet.att.net> wrote: > Currently I'm using the old system I bought in 1998. It is D...

Money 2000 backup file asks for password to restore
Hi, I recently had to format my hard drive, of course before I did, I made backups of everything so I could restore all my stuff. I did this with Money. I backed up, and then copied the backup file to my external hard drive. Once my computer was back up and running, I re-installed Money 2000 and copies and pasted the backup file back into my computer, in the same place Money places backup files. But when I try to restore the backup, it asks me for a password. It does this whether I try to restore it from my external drive, or from my computer. Now, I did use a password to open up mo...

Monitoring Status "Unreachable" for fully operational Exchange 2000 server
Hi, I have an Exchange 2000 server which is working fine. But when I look in System Manager on that server under Monitoring & Status - Status, it shows as being "Unreachable". The other Exchange server shows as being "Available". I have checked the Services on both servers and they all the same services appear to be running. Only the "Default MS Exchange Services" entry is present and "Disable all Monitoring" is not ticked. Can anyone suggest why this "Unreachable" message appears? Thanks, John See if WMI service is running on...

MTA missing in Exchange 5.5
Hi, please help me.... i cant see the mta tab in my Exchange server why ??? is the MTA service started? Lasse Pettersson "Seffys" <Seffys@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFB3C56C-25B5-4AD4-B200-8E0E6B4CA1C4@microsoft.com... > Hi, please help me.... > i cant see the mta tab in my Exchange server why ??? Why do you want to see it? Seffys wrote: > Hi, please help me.... > i cant see the mta tab in my Exchange server why ??? -- Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain. http://spf.pobox.com just weird... :-) its gon...

How do I name charts in Excel 2000?
Hi all, I'm doing some IT coursework and have a macro that creates a chart from some data in a worksheet. All works well until you run the macro again - now it says the chart doesn't exist... I've sinced looked at it in visual basic, the highlighted line says to select "Chart 22" my guess is that every time I run this macro it gets bigger by one, but even so, it now has the wrong name, and the macro crashes :'( Anyone know how I can set each newly created chart to be called "Chart 22" or whatever else I tell it to look for? Please? ;) If you're ...

WTF Access 2000/2002 ---> .DBF (v3) never works in dBase III Plus?
Hi Gang, I am at my wits end. I've tried the following programs to export a table and get it to wind up in true dBase III format: 1. MS Access 2000 2. MS Access 2002 (Evidently Microsoft felt that "Access" was a matter of preference and anticompetiveness) 3. Lotus Approach 9.0 4. Corel Quatro Pro 7 5. Borland Paradox 4.0 None of them actually create a dBase III file that dBase III Plus v1.1 will recognize. However if I take a file I created in dBase III and try to open or work with that, it of course works fine. So my first, last, and only question, is why in the hell pr...

In Pace exchange 5.5 to exchange 2002
We are done recently Windows NT Windows 2003 Migration. We are not unable to upgrade exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000 on windows 2003 active directory. We already have one Exchange 2003 server running on same windows 2003 Active directory. Same time I am not able to create connection agreement using ADC. I got Follwing Error “ The Exchange Server Directory container that has been specified for import is not in the same site as exchange server” Site Name”.Chemage the Import Container on the form Windows Property Sheet. Thanks Sanjeevi ...

Data Migration. Updating Keys
Hello all. I did the Microsoft Install and config Course about 6 months ago and thne got put on another project, now I´m revisting data migration (in a test environment) from one SQL server to another. I have the Textbook, but not the helpful .sql files that go with the tutorials. My issue, I can import both Accounts and Contacts into the CDF (creating an extra field in each table that records the original PK value) using a DTS. I then run SQL queries to set the values for PrimaryContactId in Account and AccountId in Contact ; Account: /*Link Contacts to Accounts, added AccountIdN...

Data Migration Framework for CRM 3.0
Is there a Data Migration Framework for CRM 3.0 that can be used to migrate data from Goldmine. Only thing I found on the web is the Data Migration Framework for CRM v1.2 Thank You Raj Not yet...its on its way but we dont know the release date yet ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Raj Mitta" <raj@bestics.com> wrote in message news:%23xsFkvtGGHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Is there a Data Migration Framework for CRM 3.0 that can be used to > migrate > data from Goldmine. Only thing I found o...

Y Axis #5
I am trying to create an average line using a line chart on an existing chart. When I try to match the values from the Y Axis from my primary request I change the scale but the numbers all default to percentages or decimals based off the percentages. I can't get whole number to show up even when I use the general or number tab. Can anyone help? Thanks, Meejung Hi, It suggest that you have fractions/percentage/decimals in the source range if changing the format does not change the display. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Meejung" wrote: > I am trying to create an av...

Feb 15 live chat -- now! -- upgrading/migrating to 8.0
Hi all, I wanted to let you know that the MBS Community site is hosting a live chat on upgrading and migrating to Great Plains 8.0 on Tuesday, Feb. 15, from 12:00 to 1:00 P.M. Pacific time. (NOW!) The chat room is here: http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/chatroom.aspx And here's a description of the chat: ***Microsoft Great Plains 8.0 Updates and Migration*** Submit your questions and concerns about upgrading and migrating to Microsoft Business Solutions—Great Plains 8.0. In this live chat, Microsoft Great Plains technical support engineers Kelly Youells and Loralie Frite...

account blocked error code: 550 5.3.4
I get this error message when trying to send email. I don't believe that I have violated the term. Please unlock my account. 550 5.3.4 Requested action not taken; This account is currently blocked from sending messages. If you don't think you've violated the Windows Live Terms of Use, please contact customer support. -- Greeting earthlings Contact your ISP's Customer Support and not WLM -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "1martian" <1martia...

Exchange 2000 server to Exchange 2003 OWA issue
I migrated system that had one Exchange 2000 server to Exchange 2003 this weekend. I Moved the mailboxes and replicated the system and public folders. The only issue is that OWA dose not work all the users are getting Users are getting the login request repeatedly. How do I make sure that OWA is being support from NEW 2003 server? I noticed that when I turned off the IIS Admin on the old server the users did not even get login prompt We are looking to decommission the old Exchange server. When the OWA is resolved any suggestions welcomed When you go to the mailbox, does it re...

What are the CCI: field limitations under Outlook 2000 ?
Hi everybody, I'm in a bad fix using the CCI: field under Outlook 2000 so I need more document about the CCI: field. All I succeed to find on microsoft.com is that 'it allows to send email to <> people without revealing the other recipients email'. What I need to know is informations like : - maximum size of the field, - behavior when one of the listed email in CCI: doesn't exists, - and so on... Please help folks... Thank you. Marc ...

Windows Office 2000 installer tries to execute everytime I compose or respond to a message
In OWA, Every time I try to compose or respond to a message, the Windows Office 2000 installer tries to execute and asks for the CD. Unfortunately, this Office 2000 problem has come up again even after all the updates to Office 2000. Also I am having trouble logging out. When I hit the logoff button, it brings up a sign-in screen asking for ID & password again. Whether I cancel it or fill it in and type OK, it then gives me a screen that says "access denied". I never get a screen which says that logout was successful. I have the same problem here... From what I've s...

Outlook 2000 Spam
I just recently started getting a lot of spam that has random words in the subject and body, but at the top, there is an HTML graphic with the advertising pitch. Looking at the HTML source of the email, I found some HTML code that identifies this type of spam pretty well, but I can't figure out how to set up an Outlook filter that works on the HTML source. I have no trouble filtering on visible text, but is there a way to filter on the HTML source? If not, is there a good add-in program that might help? I am using Outlook 2000 and Windows XP Pro. Thanks. Outlook 2000 cannot filter on...

Inconsistent DBASE after doing a restore of Exchange 5.5 Dbase
Tried moving my dying ex 5.5 server to new hardware this weekend and it failed because the restore did not bring over a log file and left the dbase in an inconsistant state. Has any one had this happen to them or heard of this happening. Using Vertias backup Exec 10.d, The error I recieved when I tried to start the dbase after the restore was: EVENT ID 5000, could not start the information store, 0x8004010f in the app log, and in the system log was the info store service terminated wth service specfic error, 2147746063. Another question, since my dbase is 26gb and I can't copy it acros...

How do I open the Junk Mail folder in Outlook 2000?
Hi! I can't find a Junk Mail folder to open? All info talks about setting up filters. I am missing messages and would like to see if they have landed in Junk(SPAM) Mail. Please advise and thanks! Dianne C. Dianne C. wrote: > I can't find a Junk Mail folder to open? All info talks about setting up > filters. I am missing messages and would like to see if they have > landed in Junk(SPAM) Mail. There is no Junk folder created by Outlook 2000. That version has no inbuilt spam filter. You'll have to create one if you want to use it, and then spec...

Dynamics 10 Upgrade fails "product 949 does not support upgrading
I have installed new instance of Dynamics 10 with latest service pack (new folder). I ran utilities and before I even get a chance to upgrade the data, I receive and errors "Product 949 does not support upgrading from version 9.0.268." We have version 9.0 running fine with Field Service in the set file so why won't it upgrade?? We only use a small part of field service (historical lookups in SOP) so I can't just drop it. Since it's a self-installed module by default, how can it not upgrade??? I believe you have to be at least on 9.0.281 version of GP. I am no...

excell 2000 is giving an error "not enough memory"
When i am opening a file having 17000 rows & 20 columns, and running the VLOOKUP command the system is giving an error "Not enough Memory". My system has got 512Mb RAM , P4 CPU on an original Intel Motherboard. All the softwares are original & registered. Maybe you can find something at Charles Williams' site. http://www.decisionmodels.com David McRitchie has some notes on slow response at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm (but I don't think it covers your situation--but it can't hurt to take a glance.) 3Dbesh wrote: > > When i am o...

Couple Questions (GP7 + SQl 2000)
Question #1. Yesterday I sucessfuly restored backups onto a new Great Plains server following the step-by-step guide from here (https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay_Print.aspx?WTNTZSMNWUKNTMMYQLYTNSUKZPXKMUNVXXRMSQNMTQUPTKVO) but with a small difference. When I restored the master db on the new server it copied over everyone's credentials from SQL server. Accoring to the kb article I should have had to capture the logins using Capture_Logins.sql (which I did) and then have had to bring it into the new system. For some reason this was unncessecary in my new server implem...

Top 5 SQL in an Aggregate Query
I'm counting occurrences for Questions Grouped by Market Mgr and 3 different Area Mgrs. Taking "Top 5" in the SQL statement brings in the overall Top 5 records, which it should. I could run code to examine each Area Mgr (w/ the Market Mgr), build a Top 5 and add to a Table after deleting all those Table's records prior to examining each Area Mgr. Or..is there another way?? Any possibiliity the "Grouping" in an Access Report would display only the Top 5 for each Area Mgr grouping? TIA - Bob See: Subquery Basics: TOP n records per group at: http://a...

Outlook 2000
For a couple of our Outlook 2000 users mail is being sent to thier inbox in bundles. they will go an hour with out mail then all of a sudden 15 messages will drop in. this does not happen to everyone just a couple. any ideas. Exchange server? It's a problem with your NAT router and UDP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305572 -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.ou...