Migrate edb files from a crashed system

This is my situation:
Exchange 2003 is in a machine I CAN NOT start... it just crashes, but I
have access to the data inside (liveCD) and I can move it to another
hard disk.

I need to built another Exchange machine recovering this data (edb
files, primarely)... =BFWhat are the best practices? All solutions I
read about relays on having access to the original server, but this is
not the case. What if I install Windows and Exchange again in the same
machine WITHOUT formatting? Would it be helpful or just irrelevant?

Any suggestion welcome (please do not focus on recovering the first
server... no way).

Thanks.

0
eaemtxy02 (10)

>Exchange 2003 is in a machine I CAN NOT start... it just crashes,

You tried last known good?

Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
12/27/2006 11:34:43 AM
Sure. As I said in my original post, no way of recovering. I'm
interested in building up a new machine or system, please do not focus
on recovering.

Oliver Moazzezi ha escrito:

> >Exchange 2003 is in a machine I CAN NOT start... it just crashes,
>
> You tried last known good?
>
> Oliver

0
eaemtxy02 (10)
12/27/2006 12:25:28 PM
>please do not focus on recovering.

Ok

 http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Restoring-Exchange-Server2003-Alternate-Hardware.htmlOliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
12/27/2006 12:52:35 PM
Ack

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Restoring-Exchange-Server2003-Alternate-Hardware.html

Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
12/27/2006 12:56:35 PM
That article is not very detailed, it says:

"The next step is, restoring your Exchange databases from backup to the
new server. Now we have to restart the machine and if we are lucky, it
will start."

But exaclty HOW do I restore it? Just moving them from one location to
another?

Oliver Moazzezi ha escrito:

> Ack
>
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Restoring-Exchange-Server2003-Alternate-Hardware.html
>
> Oliver

0
eaemtxy02 (10)
12/27/2006 1:39:24 PM
On 27 Dec 2006 03:17:17 -0800, "VistaUser" <eaemtxy02@sneakemail.com>
wrote:

>This is my situation:
>Exchange 2003 is in a machine I CAN NOT start... it just crashes, but I
>have access to the data inside (liveCD) and I can move it to another
>hard disk.
>
>I need to built another Exchange machine recovering this data (edb
>files, primarely)... �What are the best practices? All solutions I
>read about relays on having access to the original server, but this is
>not the case. What if I install Windows and Exchange again in the same
>machine WITHOUT formatting? Would it be helpful or just irrelevant?
>
>Any suggestion welcome (please do not focus on recovering the first
>server... no way).
>
>Thanks.

You can reinsitall to a new sever using the disasterrecovery switch in
Exchange 2003.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/SvrConsUsingE2k3/454d6010-ce35-4b50-91e0-49d342f7ce46.mspx?mfr=true

or 3rd party recovery tools from Quest or PowerControls.

0
adavid (8731)

Need help getting files from Exchange Server.
We have a computer that had an account on Outlook attached to a Microsoft exchange server. Apparently for the moment, this computer and the server are inextricably tied together. Outlook cannot even be started without logging into the server because information store or whatever is missing. How do you get the information out of the exchange server to wean the computer from it? tom <Spamblocker@ameritech.net> wrote: > We have a computer that had an account on Outlook > attached to a Microsoft exchange server. > > Apparently for the moment, this computer and the > se...

when i save a file that i have worked on, excel7 closes down work.
i have recently purchased office pro 2007. Excel 2007, when i save a filethat i have worked on, excel closes down and work is lost, done all updates, re installed from disc, please help i have lost 2 hours of work this moring that i need for a report a few questions: 1. what happens with save as? 2. what happens in safe mode? (hold shift key while starting excel) 3. do you have add-ins? 4. what operating system? x64? -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "rob" <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0483F09B-3289-42B4-8849-0C0A61380B11@mic...

How to change .pst file location on hard drive(s)?
I want to move my .PST file c/w archives to a partition other than C:\. How can I do this with Win Live Mail? Thanks, John. "Machinist60" <e_john_wilson.no.spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:hj5s5l$q8r$1@news.eternal-september.org... > I want to move my .PST file c/w archives to a partition other than C:\. > How can I do this with Win Live Mail? > > Thanks, John. I didn't realize WLM utilized the .pst file. I had to convert my .pst file data into the Windows Mail format and then import the data into WLM. Please explain what you...

Just saved file, cannot be found. ?
Even Global search ? Win 7 ... Whatz up? if you saved it, it should be in the mru list? what version of excel are you using? -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Boswell" <Boswell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9D6ED74-ABC5-469D-9572-2D8AE93F36CD@microsoft.com... > Even Global search ? > > Win 7 ... > > Whatz up? one other question, how did you open it, outlook email? if that's the case, search will never find it. it is probably here: C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Intern...

Excel 2003 file freezes laptop
I took a laptop away from the office and tried to open a large spreadsheet on the local C: drive. Each time I tried the laptop froze and had to be rebooted. When I connected back to the LAN at work, and opened the same file on the local C: drive I had no problems. What could cause this? If there is any corruption is there a way to decompile or something as you would in Access? Thanks, Mich ...

Unattend configure Send/Receive Group / PRF file -Outlook XP
Hi, Have to rollout 4000 laptops with Offline Storage enabled. I want to automatically configure outlook to: - use OST file - Synchronize when logging on and off - Download and sync. the general address book I have made a PRF file (using CIW) that creates OST file...so far so good... But I can't unattend set the option to sync when logging on and off. It seems this setting is stored in an SRS file in the users profile!! Second item, default the first address book in the list is synchronised. Is there a way to auto configure Outlook XP to sync OST fiel when logging on and off, (ins...

How to search against XML files in the file system?
Putting the search textbox on the page is the easy part. What's preferred way to find terms in XML files located on the file system? Like finding stuff saved in XML files some of the blogs use these days to store their blog items? There can be lots and lots and lots of XML files on the file system to search. -- <%= Clinton Gallagher NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/ clintonG wrote: > Putting the search textbox on the page is the easy part. What's preferred > way to find terms in XML files located ...

OT: managing file fragmentation on external USB backup drive (SBS2003)
Just wondering how others are managing file fragmentation on their external USB backup drives (SBS 2003)? I have two WD 500GB drives that i rotate weekly (each backup is around 55GB currently) but periodically the server will "freeze" during a backup (fans on, but no response at all) and requires a hard reboot to get going again. The first time it did it, i had no idea what caused it, but on subsequent occurrences I narrowed it down to the external hard drive itself - after the reboot, simply trying to access the drive via Windows Explorer on the server caused the se...

Recovery excel file
Anybody knows if there is any free tools to recover a advanced excel file (using macro, graphics, formulas, and several formats)???????? Tks, Marcelo Rayol ...

Open 2003 files with 2007
Hello all, I just upgraded my Office 2003 with Office 2007 on an EP Pro machine. The only snaffoo I find(so far..) is with Excel 2007. When I double-click on an Excel 2003 file, Excel 2007 starts up just fine, BUT my file is not displayed. At that point if I click the Restore button up at top-right, the file appears when Excel is restored up or down, then all is well. Anyone have any idea whats up with that and how to fix it??? Thanks John Lots of people have complained that when they doubleclick on a file in windows explorer, that the workbook doesn't seem to show up in xl20...

copy rows to another file
Dear Experts I have following code,i need to copy desirde rows to new file (r.xls) on sheet 1. This code is able to copy desired rows from active sheet to sheet2(same file) based on values in column G. Would you please guide me? regards Sub Marine() Dim arrParts() As String Dim MyRange As Range, CopyRange As Range Dim LastRow As Long LastRow = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "G").End(xlUp).Row Set MyRange = Range("G1:G" & LastRow) response = InputBox("Enter rows to copy in the format nnn,nnn,nn") arrParts = Split(response, ",") For Each ...

RMS Migration Tools?
Does anyone know of any tools to migrate data into Microsoft RMS? I need to do a onetime migration from csv files into RMS. Any help on this would be great. QSCIMP.EXE Does this. It will import directly from a CSV into the DB <steve@sequenzia.com> wrote in message news:953cb9c6-fa52-4007-bd12-971f7d14d1c4@s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone know of any tools to migrate data into Microsoft RMS? I > need to do a onetime migration from csv files into RMS. Any help on > this would be great. ...

Appending XML to an existing XML file
Hey all, I've read a few articles about speed and XML processing - so I just want to make sure that I'm using the right strategy for what I want to achieve. I have an XML file that I'm appending to every time a user submits their information. Right now I'm using XMLDocument (Load and Save) in conjuncture with XmlElement objects. Is this the right approach or is there a faster approach? Thanks, Novice PS Here is a simplified version of what I'm doing: XmlDocument xdoc = new XmlDocument(); xdoc.Load("results.xml"); XmlNode node = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("...

How do I export .dba calendar files from a Palm Treo to Outlook?
Chapura won't do it. Something about a problem with calendar files. ...

File Naming for Picture Order
I want my photos within a folder to appear in a certain order and want them in numberical order; however, when I put them in numerical order and get past 9 (into 2 digit numbers) the order gets all whacky. bjackson wrote: > I want my photos within a folder to appear in a certain order and > want them in numberical order; however, when I put them in numerical > order and get past 9 (into 2 digit numbers) the order gets all whacky. ======================= Instead of... 1, 2, 3,.....10, 11, 12... Try this... 0001, 0002, 0003,.....0010, 0011, 0012 If you are batch renumbering the f...

How to get the handle of a Help file belonging to other process.
Hi all, In my application,I want to change the Index of a HTMLHELP file which belongs to a dialog running in other exe.In order to do this I need to find whether the Help file is open or not & get the handle of that to use HH_DISPLAY_INDEX .Is there any way to do this?? Note: I dont want to use FindWindow() as it is giving rise to some problems in my application.. Thanks in advance ...

Can't open files
Hello -- I'm sure this isn't the proper place to post my problem, but thought I'd start here anyways. Let me start off by saying that I'm extremely computer-stupid, so please forgive my ignorance. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate, and yahoo email. For some reason, I'm unable to open attachments that have been sent to me, and saved to my computer. PLEASE HLP!! These are important documents that I really need to access. Thanks for your help -- It's not very informative to say you are not able to open attachments. What happens when you try? Is ther...

Money 2004 File Corruption
Since Tuesday every time I update my Money 2004 file it becomes corrupt. I have tried everything trying to fix the problem. Below are just a few of the steps: 1. Restore file from backup. 2. Run Salvage to make sure it clean/fixed (says file is ok), delete all files from Internet Explorer 3. Open Money file 4. Browse accounts... all work fine (no transactions to approve) 5. Update file online 6. Once complete , click ok and it takes me to the Account List 7. As soon as Account List updates with the accounts that have transactions that need approved I get an error that requires a restart 8. Sa...

Where is my PST file?!!
Hi, recently we moved to a Server 2003 SBS and Exchange. The server installed Outllok 2003 on my PC. I joined the domain and installed and set up my new email account before exporting my Personal Folder first from the old Outlook. I searched for the pst file in every folder and under any user id in "Documents and Settings/..." but could nto find it. Does any one know where Outlook keeps the pst file? All I see in the Application data/microsoft/outlook is an NK2 file (which is used for AutoComplete). I only have access to my archived emails that I had saved. I appreciate your assista...

file attachment
when I try to attach a file to an email, outlook shuts down before I can even choose a file to attach. How do I solve this? ...

Allow read/write access to a file only from my process
Hello, I have this situation: I need to create a file and alow access (read/write) only from my application process. But I can�t use any kind of CFile::Open flags like CFile::ShareDenyRead because I need to access the file simultaneously from my app, in other words: I want to share the file but only inside my process. The previous situation could seem extrange so I will explain my app deeply: My app hosts a FlashPlayer Activex control and I have the SWF file inside the executable as a resource. As I can't load the SWF file as a stream I need to extract it to a temporary folder, but...

Mac problems opening excel files when connected to two windows shares

File Size #5
I have a file I have been creating recently in Excel and the size of the file is just HUGE. It has about 10 tabs currently and it is about 3.6MB in size. I have also seen another excel file created by someone else that has 28 tabs (both files are training logs so the amount of data in his worksheets seems to be similar) but his file is only about 1.2MB in size. Are there any tips or tricks to reducing the size of a file? Thanks Jeff Hi Jeff! Here's a few tips. Others will no doubt add more. Delete unused rows and columns after the end of your data. Excel doesn't necessa...

Crash when viewing portfolio with performance view
I recently got a copy of Money 2004 and coverted my Quicken 99 database. The conversion went fine and it mostly all works, but when I try to view my portfolio in performance mode, Money crashes. The crash is a little odd in that Windows doesn't ask to send an error report to Microsoft. Any ideas? For those technically inclined, I attached a debugger to the msmoney.exe process and repeated the steps that lead to the crash. The debugger reports a lot of floating-point overflow exceptions just before the process terminates, so perhaps Money thinks I have a zero-cost basis for some of my s...

saving/moving outlook files
I need to re-format my hard drive and re-install my OS after being infected with a trojan. How do I download my Outlook files to a disk and then move them back to my hard drive? ...