Message comes as an attachment

I'm using Exchange 2003 and Outlook.  Some clients receive my messages as a
blank email with an attachment that contains the message.  For most clients
the messages look fine but there are a few that always do this.  I'm
guessing that it is an incompatible setting between our mail servers.  Any
idea what I should look for?

0
roger6576 (9)

A couple things I forgot to mention - the clients are using Exchange 5.5 and
2000, and this apparently only happens when there is an attachment in the
original email.  If we send them a message with just text and no attachment
it shows up fine, but if we send a message with an attachment then the email
arrives as a blank message with everything as an attachment.

"Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> I'm using Exchange 2003 and Outlook.  Some clients receive my messages as
> a blank email with an attachment that contains the message.  For most
> clients the messages look fine but there are a few that always do this.
> I'm guessing that it is an incompatible setting between our mail servers.
> Any idea what I should look for?

0
roger6576 (9)
4/21/2005 5:14:27 PM
>A couple things I forgot to mention - the clients are using Exchange 5.5
>and 2000, and this apparently only happens when there is an attachment in
>the original email.  If we send them a message with just text and no
>attachment it shows up fine, but if we send a message with an attachment
>then the email arrives as a blank message with everything as an attachment.
>
> "Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> I'm using Exchange 2003 and Outlook.  Some clients receive my messages as
>> a blank email with an attachment that contains the message.  For most
>> clients the messages look fine but there are a few that always do this.
>> I'm guessing that it is an incompatible setting between our mail servers.
>> Any idea what I should look for?

You're sure it's not because of "Replies and Forwards" options in Outlook?
Under Tools, Options, Preferences, Email Options (at least this is where it
is in Outlook 2000).  We've seen similar issues like that before due to
this, which is user configurable in each user profile.

Phil

I'm sure.  The message looks fine in the sent items.

"Phil McNeill" <philmcneill@NOSPAM4MEhydroottawa.com> wrote in message
> "Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>A couple things I forgot to mention - the clients are using Exchange 5.5
>>and 2000, and this apparently only happens when there is an attachment in
>>the original email.  If we send them a message with just text and no
>>attachment it shows up fine, but if we send a message with an attachment
>>then the email arrives as a blank message with everything as an
>>attachment.
>>
>> "Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm using Exchange 2003 and Outlook.  Some clients receive my messages
>>> as a blank email with an attachment that contains the message.  For most
>>> clients the messages look fine but there are a few that always do this.
>>> I'm guessing that it is an incompatible setting between our mail
>>> servers. Any idea what I should look for?
>>>

> You're sure it's not because of "Replies and Forwards" options in Outlook?
> Under Tools, Options, Preferences, Email Options (at least this is where
> it is in Outlook 2000).  We've seen similar issues like that before due to
> this, which is user configurable in each user profile.
>
> Phil

0
roger6576 (9)
4/21/2005 5:37:58 PM
Ok, we got this figured out - sort of anyway.  The problem is caused by an
image that we use as part of our signature block.  Taking the image out
fixes the problem.  I'm not sure why it acts that way, but at least now we
know the cause.

> I'm sure.  The message looks fine in the sent items.
>
> "Phil McNeill" <philmcneill@NOSPAM4MEhydroottawa.com> wrote in message
>> "Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>>A couple things I forgot to mention - the clients are using Exchange 5.5
>>>and 2000, and this apparently only happens when there is an attachment in
>>>the original email.  If we send them a message with just text and no
>>>attachment it shows up fine, but if we send a message with an attachment
>>>then the email arrives as a blank message with everything as an
>>>attachment.
>>>
>>> "Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>> You're sure it's not because of "Replies and Forwards" options in
>> Outlook? Under Tools, Options, Preferences, Email Options (at least this
>> is where it is in Outlook 2000).  We've seen similar issues like that
>> before due to this, which is user configurable in each user profile.
>>
>> Phil

0
roger6576 (9)

Outlook will not open excel attachment
When I try to open excel attachments in Outlook, it just opens a blank spreadsheet and gets the error "System cannot find the file specified." Any Ideas? Thanks, On 03 May 2004 12:55, "Matt" wrote: >When I try to open excel attachments in Outlook, it just opens a blank >spreadsheet and gets the error "System cannot find the file specified." >Any Ideas? > >Thanks, What version of Outlook? What happens if you save the attachment to your hard drive then try to open it from there? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP-OneNote OneNote FAQ: http://home.hawa...

Windows 2002 How to put email attachment in the header To/CC/Subj
I have Windows 2002 and lost my settings. I don't want my attachments in the body of the email but want it up in the header. How do you change the settings so attachments are put there instead of the body of the email. Change your message format to HTML or Plain Text; Tools-> Options-> tab Message Format -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "PC" <PC@disc...

Reply without the original message
Using Outlook XP: Outlook will always include the original message when you click on the reply. Is there a way to turn that off? Somewhere in options where this can be turned on or off? Thanks, Anthony Tools, Options, Email options....in the drop down menu set it to "do not include original message". Anthony wrote: > Using Outlook XP: Outlook will always include the original message > when you click on the reply. Is there a way to turn that off? > Somewhere in options where this can be turned on or off? > > Thanks, > > Anthony Use Tools/ Options/ Em...

Trouble forwarding email as text message using SMS
I have set up to forward specific emails to my cell phone as text messages. The content of the message does not come thru as part of the text (these messages are SHORT messages) Any suggestions? -- Sheri Sheri <Sheri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have set up to forward specific emails to my cell phone as text > messages. The content of the message does not come thru as part of > the text (these messages are SHORT messages) > Any suggestions? No need to ask more than once. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Large Messages
Someone is sending Large Messages between our internal Exchange Servers. We are running Exchange 2003 SP1. How can I find out who? how large is large? do you have no global message size limit? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Tyson" <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73D7F32A-C934-4798-8E8D-D04F48ED2D3C@microsoft.com... > Someone is sending Large Messages between our internal Exchange Servers. We > are running Exchange 2003 SP1. > > How can I find out who? On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:45:06 -0700, Tyson <Tyson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:...

Strip blank lined from forwarded messages
I'd like to send more of my reciieved message vial my mail to SMS service - limit 160 characters. I've searched Slipstick and tried some utilities, but without much success. It would be nice, for instance to get rid of the leading blank lines. It seems possible as some service providers offer it, my doesn't, and I cant't change. Any ideas? Steve ...

Outlook Error Message #36
I am running Windows XP and Office XP for Students and Teachers (Version 2002). When I have more than one user account open, I get the following error message when I when click on the "inbox" header to open up the inbox: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error Program:C\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE10\OUTLOOK.EXE This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. I don't know what this means or how to fix it. When it happens, I close the error dialogue box and click ...

Domino connector
My corporate is using Domino Server rel 5.0.10 and Lotus Notes clients that are used is rel 5.0.8 to 5.0.10. However, I prefer to use Outlook for email communications, therefore in order to able to communicate with the domino server, I installed domino connector. But then I experienced problem when receiving emails with attachment from my certain colleagues (not everybody). I can't open the attachment and the error message that I received is "the attachment can't be downloaded from server. Make sure your computer is connected to the server and your domino server is running...

Report on read/unread messages
Is it possible to generate a report on how many unread messages are in a user's mailbox? How about in Exchange 2003? Does MBINFO do this? Any third party tools do this? Many thanks ...

syncronizing email messages
Where do I find the name of the inbound and outbound servers in Outlook 2002? Your ISP will provide that information. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Neil <nhr1@swbell.net> asked: | Where do I find the name of the inbound and outbound | servers in Outlook 2002? ...

Breaking apart attachments!
I need some assistance with Outlook XP (2002). In older versions of Outlook there was a section in options where you set you the size of attachments so if they were over the size specified Outlook would break it apart into smaller pieces and then reassemble it when the user at the other end would open it. In short I can not find this anymore and am wondering if this is still possible? Thanks you, Brian ...

Messages "To" Drop Down
Is there any way of removing cashiers(No Longer Employed) from this drop down or to be able to sort it to make the No longer employees appear at the bottom? I don't think there is. I tried putting an x in front of their number, then their name, spaces in front of thier number, name. The order always stayed the same. Maybe a suggestion to Microsoft should be ability to make cashiers inactive. "Marinert1965" wrote: > Is there any way of removing cashiers(No Longer Employed) from this drop down > or to be able to sort it to make the No longer employees appear at t...

Outlook 2007 doesn't show entire message!! HELP please!
I have been searching for a probmlem i have with Outlook 2007. I am recieving emails fine, but what i noticed the other day, is that when i open the message with my PC, only part of the mesage is shown, the part that is from the sender, but when it includes a forwarded text, it will not show!! this is a huge problem.. once i missed an important notice because of this. But this problem does not occur when i open the mail with Mac. Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'...

Pass Message to Base Class Message Handler
Can I relay message to base class message handler ? If I have base class derived from some other class e.g CWnd then how can I handle base class message handlers ?? If I call base class PreTranslateMessage manually its not getting invoked...... e.g In My derived class PreTranslateMessage if I invoke CBaseClass::PreTranslateMessage(pMsg).... base class pretranslatemessage is not getting invoked....? -Akshay Did you make the function "virtual" in your derived class? You could also try calling with GetParent() if it is a window. Tom <akshay4friend@yahoo.com> wrote in mes...

PFMigrate Error Message c103b404
I'm in the middle of moving my 5.5 servers onto 2k3. I've been successfully moving the public folder using pfmigrate until this morning. All of a sudden, I'm receiving the following error message. Nothing has changed on the server so I'm not sure what is causing these errors. pfMigrate.wsf /s:yyy /t:xxx /n:1 /d /f:c:\pflog Microsoft Exchange Public Folder Migration Tool Mon Aug 16 10:11:18 EDT 2004 Source Server: yyy Version 5.5 (Build 2653.23: Service Pack 4) Target Server: xxx Version 6.5 (Build 7226.6: Service Pack 1) WMI Server: xxx Delete Replica Mode in prog...

OE Message Preview
On the split screen in Outlook Express I can read an incoming message by just selecting its line and viewing it on the lower half. Does this mean that a spammer now knows the message has been read? If so, how can I avoid this? Loran1 <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > On the split screen in Outlook Express I can read an > incoming message by just selecting its line and viewing it > on the lower half. Does this mean that a spammer now knows > the message has been read? If so, how can I avoid this? Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Attachments #35
How do i adjust my MS Outlook 2000 security setting to enable me to down load MS Access data base files? Its dependant on what service pack you have applied, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "Gregg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:023301c3b050$f15e30a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > How do i adjust my MS Outlook 2000 security setting to > enable me to down load MS Access data base files? ...

Cell Error Message
I am running Excel 2002 and keep getting a comment like deal in all cells that are not calculating to the end of the range. For example if I have data in Col. a.b.c.d.e.f but do not include Col. a, I get a comment type message that the formula did not calculate the entire range(which I do not want it to). I know that I can turn this off manually (in each and every cell effected)(about 50), however does anyone have an idea of how to turn it off completely, either my use of a VBA or Excel itself. Thanks Frank ...

Outlook randomly inserts attachments in body or attachment line in header
Outlook randomly inserts attachments in body or attachment line in header. Why is that and is there a way to override this so that attachments always appear as a line in the header portion rather than appear in the body of the message. Using Outlook 2002 SP-1 on Win2k SP-3 build 2195 Where the attachments sits is determined by the message format, Rich text in body of message, Plain and HTML in its own field "Richard Barber" <kerrithbrook@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:095b01c3b029$1e591c50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Outlook randomly inserts attachments in body or > a...

Tracking how many emails come in and go out
Is there an easy way to see how many emails come in and go out of my Exchange 2003 server in a given period of time. I'd like to know how much email we are sending and receiving a day. Thanks Sander: Probably the simplest way to do this is to either turn on message tracking on each of your servers and use Andy Webb's message tracking log analyzation script or turn on SMTP protocol logging on you bridgehead(s) and use Rich Matheisen's SMTP analysis script. Rich's script will only give you summaries of messages that went through the SMTP protocol, though. Both of ...

photo attachments in outlook express 6.0
I am unable to send photo attachments to friends. They do receive my e-mail and the paperclip is there, but they cannot open the attachment. If I send through my web-mail, it works but not through OE. I can send a document just fine, but not photos. Any suggestions what happens when they try to open them? Are you using Outlook Express or Outlook? See help, about if unsure. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlo...

replying to multiple messages non-contacts
I am trying to reply to 140 emails that came in to me for a job I am hiring for. They are not in my contacts folder and are sitting in a separate folder on my inbox. I can select them all, but trying to drag them all to a BCC area brings in the name and not the addresses. Anyone know how to reply to all of these without having to make them all contacts? ...

XP logon screen message
I have a PC running XP home with several users, some of which are password protected, but all are admins. PC has recently had a virus / spyware problem, which appears to have been resolved. When the PC boots and goes to logon screen, then everything looks OK. If I log off to change user or PC goes back to logon screen, there is a message at the bottom left of the screen. Where it says Turn off, it also says 'This thing betta start working properly' is this linked to a virus, or can it be edited manually? Thank you Definitely sounds malicious. Without knowing wha...

Information about Error Messages
Is there a directory or listing of any sort for error messages? I get the error message: The subject is not trusted for the specified action" while working on a custom outlook form in Microsoft Outlook 2000. I am not sure what the problem might be and hope to find some more information about the nature of this error. A. This newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd have better luck reposting your question to a newsgroup related to Outlook. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSt...

Auto Archive deletes messages
Hello All, A couple months ago the CFO of our company had a PST file that was getting close to 1GB of data. So we setup the Auto-Archive to archive everything older than 6 months. Everything older than 6 months was moved to the Archived Folders as expected. Today he checked the Archived folders and some of the e-mails were missing. By default Auto-Archive has a checkbox checked that says: "Delete expired items (e-mail folder only)" Is this what happened to the missing e-mails? Why is this checked by default? Someone wanting to "Archive" the e-mails would not ...