Message comes as an attachment

I'm using Exchange 2003 and Outlook.  Some clients receive my messages as a
blank email with an attachment that contains the message.  For most clients
the messages look fine but there are a few that always do this.  I'm
guessing that it is an incompatible setting between our mail servers.  Any
idea what I should look for?

0
roger6576 (9)

A couple things I forgot to mention - the clients are using Exchange 5.5 and
2000, and this apparently only happens when there is an attachment in the
original email.  If we send them a message with just text and no attachment
it shows up fine, but if we send a message with an attachment then the email
arrives as a blank message with everything as an attachment.

"Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> I'm using Exchange 2003 and Outlook.  Some clients receive my messages as
> a blank email with an attachment that contains the message.  For most
> clients the messages look fine but there are a few that always do this.
> I'm guessing that it is an incompatible setting between our mail servers.
> Any idea what I should look for?

0
roger6576 (9)
4/21/2005 5:14:27 PM
>A couple things I forgot to mention - the clients are using Exchange 5.5
>and 2000, and this apparently only happens when there is an attachment in
>the original email.  If we send them a message with just text and no
>attachment it shows up fine, but if we send a message with an attachment
>then the email arrives as a blank message with everything as an attachment.
>
> "Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> I'm using Exchange 2003 and Outlook.  Some clients receive my messages as
>> a blank email with an attachment that contains the message.  For most
>> clients the messages look fine but there are a few that always do this.
>> I'm guessing that it is an incompatible setting between our mail servers.
>> Any idea what I should look for?

You're sure it's not because of "Replies and Forwards" options in Outlook?
Under Tools, Options, Preferences, Email Options (at least this is where it
is in Outlook 2000).  We've seen similar issues like that before due to
this, which is user configurable in each user profile.

Phil

I'm sure.  The message looks fine in the sent items.

"Phil McNeill" <philmcneill@NOSPAM4MEhydroottawa.com> wrote in message
> "Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>A couple things I forgot to mention - the clients are using Exchange 5.5
>>and 2000, and this apparently only happens when there is an attachment in
>>the original email.  If we send them a message with just text and no
>>attachment it shows up fine, but if we send a message with an attachment
>>then the email arrives as a blank message with everything as an
>>attachment.
>>
>> "Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> I'm using Exchange 2003 and Outlook.  Some clients receive my messages
>>> as a blank email with an attachment that contains the message.  For most
>>> clients the messages look fine but there are a few that always do this.
>>> I'm guessing that it is an incompatible setting between our mail
>>> servers. Any idea what I should look for?
>>>

> You're sure it's not because of "Replies and Forwards" options in Outlook?
> Under Tools, Options, Preferences, Email Options (at least this is where
> it is in Outlook 2000).  We've seen similar issues like that before due to
> this, which is user configurable in each user profile.
>
> Phil

0
roger6576 (9)
4/21/2005 5:37:58 PM
Ok, we got this figured out - sort of anyway.  The problem is caused by an
image that we use as part of our signature block.  Taking the image out
fixes the problem.  I'm not sure why it acts that way, but at least now we
know the cause.

> I'm sure.  The message looks fine in the sent items.
>
> "Phil McNeill" <philmcneill@NOSPAM4MEhydroottawa.com> wrote in message
>> "Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>>A couple things I forgot to mention - the clients are using Exchange 5.5
>>>and 2000, and this apparently only happens when there is an attachment in
>>>the original email.  If we send them a message with just text and no
>>>attachment it shows up fine, but if we send a message with an attachment
>>>then the email arrives as a blank message with everything as an
>>>attachment.
>>>
>>> "Roger" <roger@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>> You're sure it's not because of "Replies and Forwards" options in
>> Outlook? Under Tools, Options, Preferences, Email Options (at least this
>> is where it is in Outlook 2000).  We've seen similar issues like that
>> before due to this, which is user configurable in each user profile.
>>
>> Phil

0
roger6576 (9)

Message Limits
Is there a limit to how many messages Outlook XP can import? If so, is there a way to turn off the limit? Would I be able to import half the messages then import the other half (thus avoiding the message limit)? Is it just an import limit or does Outlook have a general limit on messages it can store? Kol. ----------- "Relax, its only ONES and ZEROS !" What are you trying to import from and what kind of numbers are we talking about here? :-) It might be easier to answer your questions (and give you more precise answers) if there were more specifics to go on. -- Jocelyn Fi...

Outlook viewing attachments
When I receive an email that has embeded pics, I can see the pics and text together as they should be, when going directly to att.net. Also, same on iphone. On Outlook, however, the pics show up as attachments and each must be opened separately. I am sure there is a setting to make them show in the main body of the message. Can you help me? "kenh" <kenh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C81693E-C419-4B81-A398-F34C78E36DF4@microsoft.com... > When I receive an email that has embeded pics, I can see the pics and text > together as they sho...

Exchange 2003 blocking attachments
Our exchange server is blocking attachments with .mbd .exe .com. Is there a way to allow certain attachments through the system? mike Is it the Exchange Server or the Outlook settings? See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;ES;829982 -- Denis McDowell [MSFT] "mike vincelli" <mvincelli@suhsd.net> wrote in message news:182e01c441ca$3fc1a0f0$3501280a@phx.gbl... > Our exchange server is blocking attachments > with .mbd .exe .com. Is there a way to allow certain > attachments through the system? > > mike Denis, The link you posted is for the...

Outlook 97 'hangs' at "deliver messages"
Outlook 97 hangs with deliver messages window open. No mail is exchanged. Problem persists after deleting profile and creating new one. Any suggestions? ...

outlook is blocking .jpg files as attachments
please help. Icannot seem to be able to find my security settings , that will allow me to release the files to the e-mails Try Tool>Options>Security and uncheck "Do not allow Attachments.... TonySper "yeovil beechwood" <yeovil beechwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B061CD93-6B8F-4F11-8971-B98A7D067799@microsoft.com... please help. Icannot seem to be able to find my security settings , that will allow me to release the files to the e-mails Version of Outlook? Are they blocked as attachments so you can't open them or blocked in an h...

Disable recall message on the server
Hi, Is there a way to disable or turn off message recall on the server side? I do not care if it still shows up on the users outlook client, but management would like to make it so it never works on our server. We are using Exch 2003 sp1. Thanks, Debra In news:191B223A-D29E-406E-BE23-D378B9647B2A@microsoft.com, Debra <Debra@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi, > > Is there a way to disable or turn off message recall on the server > side? I do not care if it still shows up on the users outlook > client, but management would like to make it so it never works on...

Find feature does not work with HTML messages (Content-type: text/html)
I have Outlook 2000 SP-3 running under Windows ME. When using the Find feature to locate all e-mails with a given word in the message, no items are found if the e-mails are of "text/html" content-type. The Find feature appears to work for any messages that have URLs embedded and are "multipart/alternative" or "text/plain" content-type. I noticed a similar post several months ago (see http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=%23qSBYIssDHA.2224%40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl). Is there a work-around for this problem, or should this be reported t...

Intelligent Message Filter- can the junk email feature be turned o
I am wondering if there is a reg hack or other method of running the Intelligent Message Filter but disabling the feature to send stuff to junk email? I have temporarily uninstalled it for customer since there were too many complaints about stuff going into to junk email. The filter capacity for the most part works pretty well and what is going into archieve looks like SPAM with only minor exceptions. I was looking at reinstalling the Intelligent Message Filter and not setting the second setting –Store Junk Email Configuration. Although I intially had the settings SCL lower I raised...

can't delete dupicate appointments, message object is not valid
I just instaled Office XP, on to Windows 7. I then updated all of my contact details from my Windows PDA to outlook. I now have duplicate entries for birthdays, aniversaries etc........... The contacts that the birthdays, aniversaries belong to, have not been created as contacts, when i try to recreate the contact details my system tells me that they are all ready there but are not shown. & when try to detect & repair the instal the same thing happens again. Outlook 2002 and Windows 7? That is not supported and buggy - its hard to say how much of the problems are beca...

Outlook sending unknown hidden messages
Hello all, My Outlook is sending hidden messages (as indicated by the status bar) when I don't have any, or sometimes one message, in my Outbox. They shouldn't be read receipts from legitimate Email, because I usually haven't opened any mail that contains receipt requests (I get VERY little mail from unknown sources, so I would know). I first noticed this when sending one piece of mail, and the status bar said sending 1 of 2 messages. Sometimes when I send one message it will start with "Sending message 2 of 3," then go to 3 of 3, and only then do the one message I ...

Outlook not removing deleted messages from server
I have a gmail account and Outlook 2007 is configured to leave the messages on the POP3 server, but to remove the messages from the server when deleted from the "deleted items" folder. So, I downloaded all of my email (approx 17,000 messages), deleted some messages I don't want any more and emptied the "deleted items" folder, but the messages are not removed from the server. I've tried it several times in several different ways, always with the same result. I can delete the local copy on my PC, but the server copy is never removed. "sparx&qu...

sending attachments #3
I downloaded all the security updates for Outlook 2000. Now Outlook can't send attachments. The attachments appear in the "send" directory, but the receiver of the email gets no attachments. Hi Stu, The Outlook security feature blocks attachments that are potentially unsafe. This security feature provides an additional level of protection against malicious messages. Although Outlook 2000 SR-1 or Outlook 2000 SR-1a blocks access to the attachment, the attachment still exists in the message. For more information on resolving this issue, please refer to Knowledge Base art...

Attachments to window notes vs record notes
Got an odd situation. On record notes we have the paperclip and can attach files with no problems. On window notes there is no paperclip. Never tried to attach a document to a window note before but always assumed that both record level and window level notes would act the same way. Has anyone else seen this? Should we be able to attach documents to window level notes? GP10, SP3. Thx. No - the behaviour you are seeing is by design. Window notes have never allowed for OLE attachments. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC h...

MAPI Failure message using 2007 word
-- JOHN HASKINS I keep getting this error message when I try to send a document from Word 2007 to my Outlook Email Client, which is my default email setup. I followed the recommended steps that help feature suggested, but that did not work by saving the document then closing and also closing Outlook, which was when word would restart it would start a new MAPI Session. No Go! What much I do. All other applications and software allow me to send to my email client except Office. ...

Using Contact's Categories to set message categories
Is there any way to have a rule that sets an incoming message category to the categor(ies) that the sender of the message is assign to in my contacts list? In other words, I have 'George Washington' in my contacts list. George has a category of 'prez' assigned to him. When I get a message from George, I'd like that message to be assigned the category of 'prez' as well. I know I can manually setup a rule to do this for specific contacts, but it would be so much more useful to manage the rule's behavior by setting categories in the contact list. No. Here&...

Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments #2
We have just upgraded to Office 2003 and a lot of attachments do not get sent. We receive this error message instead. This particular attachment is a url. Any advice, Thanks, Jackie You may find this page useful: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, Outlook-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "jackie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:018e01c3aae6$81a637e0$a40128...

Code to send SMS text message?
Hi, I would like to send an SMS text message to a cel phone via code within Excel 2007. Has anyone done this? What code / services / products do I need to accomplish this? Does anyone have an example? Thanks in advance. --Dan What gateway are you using? What you would need to do is to snd a internet message to a gateway provider which would then send the messae out on the wireless land. Most likely you are using a webpage interface from your PC to interface with the gateway. So opening up an internet explorer and goiong to an URL is probably the method to use. ...

Recovering a message
I am fairly new to exhchange in general and am now migrating from 5.5 to 2003. I have turned on message tracking in 2003 but I don't see where we could actually recover the message itself. How do I keep copies of messages in an admin folder and then recover them when we need them. Lets assume that disk space is not a 'major' issue. Message tracking isn't what you want, then - you want journaling (a copy of all inbound/outbound mail for a particular store is directed to a mailbox). What is it you're trying to do? This is going to make your backups a lot more complicate...

message classes
Is it possible to change the message class of a message via inbox rule so that it could change from something (such as "Report.IPM.Note.DR") to just IPM.Note. I am trying to use inbox rules to move. redirect or forward these "delivery receipts" and nothing seems to work while unattended (not logged into mailbox). So I'd like to somehow change the message class then send it. any ideas? ...

Outlook welcome message
Is there a way to create a welcome message that is sent to users using Outlook 2002 for this first time? I know that there is a Welcome message in Outlook express. ...

Finding Attachments
Does Outlook 2002 Advanced Find provide a method for locating an attachment in an e-mail??? regards, Adrian Yes, you can search for all items with attachments, but you cannot search for a) specific attachments or b) attachment contents. To perform this type of search, simply right click on any Outlook folder, choose Advanced Find. In the Advance Find window, select Other Choices, then select "Only items with: one or more attachments". -- Hope that helps!! Thank you! Sincerely, Chris Lineback, MCSE Microsoft Enterprise Messaging Support - Please do not send email directly...

where the hell are my inbox messages???
Got new mic 2007. cd worked striaghtforward. Cannot get to see all my messages its really strange it shows 3 messages from 2004...??. Nothing from 2007!!!!! any ideas... looked at the tools for ''views'' nothing strange there... (can see all on hotmail) I dont expect to buy new cd and have all this frustration!!!. mircosoft has gone over the top now!!! this is tooooo complicated... pls help Please explain clearly - not very bright!!! What do you see when you look at Tools - Account Settings - Data Files? Is the pst file listed the same one you were usin...

Word attachments
I am running Windows 7 and Word 2007. I want my attachments to open in Print preview not full screen reading view. I have unchecked the box in Word Options, rebooted and resent emails with attachments to myself. However, they will not open in any other mode but full screen reading view. Any suggestions welcome. You can disable Full Screen Reading view, but you cannot force documents to open in Print Preview. If you mean Print Layout view, then you need to save them in this view; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (...

sent messages remains in outbox
Hello, I have a user who when sending a message in Outlook 2003 will occasionally have a problem where the message doesn't leave the Outbox. She'll send the message, close Outlook and shut down her computer for the night. When she comes back in the following morning and opens Outlook, the message is still in the outbox. Any ideas on what might be happening? Oulook connects to a pop based mail server. We don't use Exchange. Thanks, Rod It's Outlook 2002 (XP) not 2003. > Hello, > > I have a user who when sending a message in Outlook 2003 will occasionally &g...

Emailing a multi-page newsletter as the message
This is an advance notice of something I need to put into writing. I found a terrific way to send a multipage newsletter as the body of an email. It is not completely free tho. You need some sort of pdf creating software (free will work), and a $40 software program. Believe me, this will be the best $40 program you've ever purchased. Look for something later this week. Right now I have to prepare a mailing list with 1700 people for a mail merge. I'm a bit busy right now. ;-) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] JoAnn Paules [MVP] <jl_paules@hotmail.com> was ve...