MAPI vs IMAP4

Taking my 70-284 Exchange exam soon. One area that is still confusing
me is what MAPI really is and how it compares to imap4/pop3 etc....
If anyone could set me straight it would be appreciated:

Questions:

1) Mapi is a protocol.. just like IMAP4/POP3 but with more
features.... right?
2) How does MAPI compare to IMAP4? Both can use the default folder
tree?
3) What ports does mapi use? Is there a form of "secure" mapi like
with imap pop3 and http?

A brief explaination would be very appreciated... Thanks guys

-1

.....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....

Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
>uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....

Then you're in big trouble!

MAPI isn't a "wire" protocol. It's software that the application uses
to insulate itself from having to deal with multiple protocols.

RPC, HTTP, POP3, IMAP4, SMTP, ESMTP, X.400, etc. are all different
protocols that define how data are sent and received.

            Client
              ^

        Client Interface        -+
             MAPI                | <= MAPI Subsystem
    Service Provider Interface  -+
      ^        ^          ^
      |        |          |
      v        v          v
    MSMail   Exchange    FAX . . . POP3   IMAP4 <= Service Providers
      ^        ^          ^         ^       ^
      |        |          |         |       |
      v        v          v         v       v
    MSMail  Exchange     FAX       POP3   IMAP4
    Server   Server     Modem     Server  Server

If, for example, the "Exchange" Service Provider is using RPC, or
RPC-Over-HTTP, and uses VPN, Dial-Up, or whatever, the "Client" doen't
have to know (or care).

>Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
>RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

That's a protocol question, not a client question.

You can tell the service provider (the bit that knows how to talk to
that particular server) to encrypt the RPC connection. You can tell
the service provider to use HTTPS (continue that with POP/POPS,
IMAP/IMAPS, etc.)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

True or false:

1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
2) MAPI uses IMAP4
3) MAPI uses POP3
4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/IMAPS/
POPS)

Any responses are appeciated!

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Now I'm confused again... Please help!
>
>True or false:

Yes. MAPI can use the service providers that make those protocols
available. But the application that uses MAPI doesn't really care.

Applications use MAPI (just as they also might use ADSI or ODBC, DAO,
and many other APIs). MAPI presents a uniform interface to the
application regardless of the chosen service provider that connects to
the data source.

>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP

RPC-over-HTTP is part of the "Exchange server" service provider. The
profile may define that RPC-over-HTTPS should be used, but it could
just as well have said to use RPC.

>2) MAPI uses IMAP4

IMAP4 is a protocol that's made available by the "Internet Email"
service provider.

>3) MAPI uses POP3

POP3 is a protocol that's made available by the "Internet Email"
service provider.

>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/IMAPS/
>POPS)

To secure the data, secure the protocol (which is handled by the
service provider). The MAPI profile provides the information to the
service provider.

The data sent and received by the protocols you mention are secured by
the use of SSL.

>Any responses are appeciated!

The meeaning of MAPI (which is an acronym for "Messaging Application
Programming Interface") has, unfortunately, been bastardized to mean
something completely different. It's commonly used as a shorthand for
"Exchange Service Provider" (which really includes access not just to
the mailbox but also to the address book(s), and public folders -- and
probably more that I'm omitting).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?

1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
2) MAPI uses IMAP4
3) MAPI uses POP3
4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
IMAPS/
POPS)

Thanks in advance

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
>brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
>incorrect.

Your desire to simplify a compecate topic will end in tears.

>Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>
>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP

False.

>2) MAPI uses IMAP4

False.

>3) MAPI uses POP3

False.

>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
>IMAPS/
>POPS)

False.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Dennis" <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Taking my 70-284 Exchange exam soon. One area that is still confusing
> me is what MAPI really is and how it compares to imap4/pop3 etc....
> If anyone could set me straight it would be appreciated:
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Mapi is a protocol.. just like IMAP4/POP3 but with more
> features.... right?
> 2) How does MAPI compare to IMAP4? Both can use the default folder
> tree?
> 3) What ports does mapi use? Is there a form of "secure" mapi like
> with imap pop3 and http?
>

> A brief explaination would be very appreciated... Thanks guys

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 12:57:41 AM
The better question is how do you secure an RPC client? (and also "what is
RPC for $1000, alex")

Some RPC based applications /can/ use HTTPS as a secure tunnel.
Using HTTPS is pretty much the same thing as using a VPN.  It tunnels the
RPC traffic through a separately constructed encrypted link.
Many applications (Outlook and Exchange included) don't need separate
tunneling in general though because RPC traffic can be encrypted by the
application itself.

You're only talking about transport though in all of your questions, and
MAPI does more than just provide an interface to a variety of transports.

> ....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
> uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....
>
> Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
> RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:01:23 AM
Your suggestion that answers are incorrect just because you don't understand
them is incorrect.

> Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
> brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
> incorrect.
>

> Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>
> 1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
> 2) MAPI uses IMAP4
> 3) MAPI uses POP3
> 4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
> IMAPS/
> POPS)
>

> Thanks in advance

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:01:53 AM
Most likely your tears. ;)

> Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
>>brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
>>incorrect.
>
> Your desire to simplify a compecate topic will end in tears.
>
>>Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>>
>>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
>
> False.
>
>>2) MAPI uses IMAP4
>
> False.
>
>>3) MAPI uses POP3
>
> False.
>
>>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
>>IMAPS/
>>POPS)
>
> False.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:02:17 AM
"andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote:

>Most likely your tears. ;)

Nah. I tried twice. I'm done.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Word 2003 vs Word 2003 !
Need help with this one...I have a user who is creating a flyer for our company. He is running XP tablet pc edition and office basic 2003. The brochure looks great on his laptop. When he emailed it to another co-worker for review, the autoshape with text he had placed at the top of the doc was ot displayed correctly, the text in the autoshape was not completely visible. The co-worker is running XP pro with office basic 2003. Both of these systems are patched fully, they do not have different settings for the application (as far as I can find anyway). The differences are the OS ve...

VS Tools GP9
What is the easiest way to create SOP Invoice with Visual Studio Tools for GP9? I have read somewhere (on this forum) that exists some samples how to create SOP Invoice with Importing the Item, qty, UnitPrice from text file. Is it true? Does anyone know where are these samples? The sample you are thinking about it a Dexterity sample. It isn't really useable from VSTools because it requires table buffer access (which vstools doesn't have in 9.0) and also calling procedures which use tables/references which vstools also doesn't support. The best way to create SOP Invoices with ...

.Formula vs .FormulaR1C1 in 2007
Here's the problem. I have VBA inputting this formula in the same column (col H) of cells: ..Formula = "=if(trim(rc4)=""MS"",""MNGTS"",if(trim(rc4)=""MN"",""MAINS"",""""))" For a single user on Excel 2007 it appears in the cell as: =if(Trim(RC4)="MS","MNGTS",if(trim(RC4)="MN","MAINS","")) When I change the .Formula to .FormulaR1C1 then the (RC4) becomes ($D2) on row 2, which is correct. The issue is other use...

MFC toolbar reflection broken in VS 2005?
We have been using toolbar CmdUI reflection without problems in VC6 and recently rebuilt with VS 2005 to find that it no longer works. Comparison of the MFC code supplied with both versions reveals that they changed the reflection call in CToolBar::OnUpdateCmdUI: VC6 version: // allow reflections if (CWnd::OnCmdMsg(0,MAKELONG((int)CN_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI, WM_COMMAND+WM_REFLECT_BASE),&state, NULL)) continue; VS2005 version: // allow reflections if (CWnd::OnCmdMsg(0,MAKELONG(CN_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI&0xff, WM_COMMAND+WM_REFLECT_BASE),&state, NULL)) continue; As you can see th...

VS.NET 2003
I just wanna ask that whether MSDN Realease APril 2003 covers VS.NET 2003 or still the VS.NET 2002???? Kindly reply ASAP Thanks Shoaib ...

Internal Mapi Error
Hi All, I just installed a 2007 server into my domain and moved my mailbox from my Ex2000 server to the new server. It was not talking to anything else (routing group problem I suspect) so I moved my mailbox back the 2000 server. I didn't realize that my mailbox was open at the time. Outlook errored, so I closed it and reopened. It would not open my mailbox on the 2000 server. I removed the Exchange Information Service from my profile and recreated it, but I get the following: The following unrecoverable error has occurred: Internal MAPI error: The properties of Microsoft Ex...

Access 2007 Mapi Session
I have a program that I have been using for years that generates an email message with an attachment and populates the "TO" and "CC" from an Access database. I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 and Access 2007 and in the process lost Administrator privileges due to security concerns. The program doesn't work on the new computer and I need to tell the IT staff what additional files I need to make the program work. Thank you, Dave Dave, Judging by the lack of replies I'm going to say a wee bit more information is needed. Can you post the ...

Varchar(20) vs Varchar(255)
Hi there What uses more space, a Varchar(20) with 10 chars in, or Varchar(255) with 10 chars in. I expect it to be the same, in which case, why not always specifiy varchar(255) or a larger value? Thanks again all. Ron wrote: > Hi there > > What uses more space, a Varchar(20) with 10 chars in, or Varchar(255) > with 10 chars in. Neither > I expect it to be the same, in which case, why not > always specifiy varchar(255) or a larger value? > Data integrity, mainly. Why specify a field to contain more characters than it needs to contain? Why forgo the...

Design View vs Form View
In Access 2007, I have a graph in Design View which shows differently in Form View. In other words, the information that is plotted in the graph shows differently in the two views. Why is this? Thank you, Bill Bill, Your probably saying the design data displays an earlier design results, but the form view graph data is correct. The graphs have acted that way for the past Access versions as well. I think the Graphing in Access is borrowed from Excel, and does not update in design view as it should. One way around that, is to run the query behind the graph in des...

Memo vs Text Field size
A text field set to 255 bytes is that, but if there is no data in a Memo field, how much space does it take? I'm looking for tradeoffs on a seldom used field that might be large at when used. Thanks Doug Sanders On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 03:53:57 GMT, "Doug Sanders" <DougSix@earthlink.net> wrote: >A text field set to 255 bytes is that, but if there is no data in a Memo >field, how much space does it take? Actually, a Text field occupies only the space actually used plus 4 bytes of overhead, not 255 bytes. A Memo field has 16 bytes of overhead, regardless of the amo...

viewing lists vs. thumbnails
re mspub 2002. when pasting images in -- via click on insert pix, right click on insert -- how to not view resulting dialogue box as default thumbnails? conversion to list at toolbar at dialogue top seems to work only once, and then each time it's back to thumbnails. fooled with ms explorer option "remember view of previous folder view," but this had no effect on pub problem. Can you be a bit clearer? Are you trying to insert from the Organizer? The Organizer will always show thumbnails. You don't have to right-click to insert, simply drag and drop. -- Mary Saue...

add .NET unregister event capability from VS Tools
Because of the architecture of the .NET wrapper classes for GP resources it's critical to be able to unregister events. Othewise some nasty workarounds have to be enginneered to go around this limitation. Case in point: When using FormFactory to launch wrapper forms or own forms one will potentially register to a state field on the dex window exposed via the dex form. Each time the wrapper form is launched it registers a new event handler to the same event. When the form wrapper object gets disposed the memory will never be reclaimed by the gc because of the stray delegate to the e...

How do i plot a chart for alphanumerical VS time
Hello.. I got a requirement to plot a chart for alphanumerical VS time as follows.. Wards Time a1 7.05 7.10 7.22 a2 7.02 7.12 7.45 a3 7.06 7.11 7.36 Thanks Sreeni What exactly are you trying to show? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Sreeni72" <Sreeni72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04375746-64A9-414A-A221-4DFF91A7B677@microsoft.com... > Hello.. > > I got a requirement to plot a chart for alphanumerical VS t...

malloc() vs "new" vs HeapAlloc() vs ...
I'm implementing a "doubly" linked list data structure. My linked list will contain more than 300,000 nodes, so I'd like to conserve as much memory as possible. My list nodes will be C++ structures defined like this : typedef struct tagNode { int x, y; char c; NODE *next, *prev; } NODE; Alternatively, I could use a C++ object to implement this node. ie : class Node { public: int x, y; char c; Node *next, *prev; }; My questions are : 1) Which node type ...

Question realated to paragraph vs. character styles
Hi, Do you guys know whether it's possible to have a style that just specifies the paragraph-level properties of a body of text and not the character-level properties of a body of text? I'm working with notes with colored font in outline format. Sometimes I'd like to change outline level of bodies of text in the outline, but when I change outline level by applying list-linked paragraph styles, I lose the coloring of my font. Thanks for your help, Clark Hi Clark, If you select some text in a paragraph and apply a different paragraph style to it, th...

Help - Unable to initialize MAPI msg
I am running Outlook Express 6.00 under Windows XP. I tried exporting messages and keep getting the following message. " Unable to initialize MAPI". I would appreciate if you can provide some help in getting around this problem. Thanks Suresh This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.as...

Add Class and Add Variable crash VS .NET 2003
I have an MFC project that was migrated from MSVC++ 6.0 to Visual Studio .NET 2003. The problem is that whenever I try to do anything that involves generating C++ code for the resources then Visual Studio .NET crashes. For example, If I open a dialog box resource, right click and select "Add Variable" -> Crash. or "Add Class" -> Crash The problem appears to occur because the project has been migrated from VC++ 6.0. Since I can create a *new* MFC application using VS .NET 2003 and create dialog resources, add classes and member variables etc. etc. with no ...

EDC vs Tender Summary Report
Why would the credit card totals for the EDC report and the totals for the Tender Summary Report differ? The EDC report is correct, the tender summary report is missing a transaction. One customer used 2 credit cards to pay and only 1 of those cards shows on Tender Summar. Was there an error while processing a 401? "360" wrote: > Why would the credit card totals for the EDC report and the totals for the > Tender Summary Report differ? The EDC report is correct, the tender summary > report is missing a transaction. One customer used 2 credit cards to pay and >...

Biggest difference
Are there any major differences? Is it worth getting the upgrade? How does it compare to Quicken? TIA Have a nice week... Trent Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity! http://catalogs.google.com/microsoft.html start here and search for your items. >-----Original Message----- >Are there any major differences? Is it worth getting the upgrade? > >How does it compare to Quicken? > >TIA > > >Have a nice week... > >Trent > >Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity! >. > ...

denying Mapi access
I have the following question for floor:- We run a citrix environment and 99.9% of users have Outlook published over the thin client which means that Outlook hot fixes can be centralised. We have a small number of users that have "official" installations of Outlook on local PC's and these can connect to Exchange. BUT, we have some users that have installed local outlook and we want to block these users. We can't do it by IP address as the administrative burden this would place on the firewall is apparently too great. I know about blocking older versions of Mapi clients but ...

Annual return calculation hosed vs. me being stupid
I need to know which. I've been trying to transfer an IRA account from an old financial institution that doesn't have online services to a new one that does. If I follow explicitly the instructions MS gives to do this, I lose the transaction history and cost basis of the underlying investments. It simply sets up a new account. If I set up a transfer instead, I keep the cost basis and it's accurate, but I find I'm now earning an average annual return of around 3000% on the underlying mutual funds... the small cap fund is booming along nicely at 52000%. Needless to say I...

mapi help pls
Hi Using simple MAPI for sending my e-mails they are sent by "Outlook Express". how can i change the program to "MS Outlook" so that my application uses that instead of outlook express. Beside that how can I change the default mail handler (I have problems in editing registerirs). pls. contact me at the subj. (smalsa_ae@yahoo.com) Thanks in advance If I understand you correctly, try this: Run IE and go to menu Tools ---> Internet Options -->Programs Tab ---> Change Email program.... "msnews.microsoft.com" <a_esmaeili@hotmail.com> wrote in mes...

Different in 2007 vs 2003
I'm using 2007 working with charts and sharing with my customers that are saved in 2003. There is other data on the worksheet and everything is the same (down to the colum width) and duplicated on 28 worksheets in the workbook. On some sheets for it to fit in the designated area on the sheet, the chart size is 4.04 & 5.04 and another it will be 3.38 & 3.88. On the smaller size charts, it looks right on screen but print preview shoves the chart to the middle of the page. The page setup is fit to one page, and the same if it is centered on the page or not. If I move the ...

ENU vs ENG server and client updates
When I go to obtain client and server updates for CRM 1.2, the downloads always list an update that ends with ....Client-ENU.exe, ...Client-ENG.exe (OR) ....Server-ENU.exe, ...Server-ENG.exe Is the difference between ENU and ENG for language where ENG signifies English (or) is ENG for Windows 2000 Server while ENU is for Windows 2003 Server? Can someone shed light on this? I wish Microsoft would give a small note by the download files what they stand for. Thanks in advance. Chad ENU=English for USA ENG=English for UK/Canada, etc. "Chad Sriram" <csriram@leafpartner.co...

WLM message export and MAPI
Is there a way to get around the need to install a MAPI client - e.g. Outlook - in order to export WLM messages to a format other than WLM? I need to export the messages so I can try other e-mail clients - not something that MS wants me to do of course. Didn't MS ever hear of installing all the files necessary to do a given task in a given program? I'm sorry, but after spending literally a dozen hours today and with the propect of at least that many tomorrow to try to fix probelms in WLM, I'm not a happy camper. The current version of Windows Live Mail will not exp...