MAPI vs IMAP4

Taking my 70-284 Exchange exam soon. One area that is still confusing
me is what MAPI really is and how it compares to imap4/pop3 etc....
If anyone could set me straight it would be appreciated:

Questions:

1) Mapi is a protocol.. just like IMAP4/POP3 but with more
features.... right?
2) How does MAPI compare to IMAP4? Both can use the default folder
tree?
3) What ports does mapi use? Is there a form of "secure" mapi like
with imap pop3 and http?

A brief explaination would be very appreciated... Thanks guys

-1

.....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....

Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
>uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....

Then you're in big trouble!

MAPI isn't a "wire" protocol. It's software that the application uses
to insulate itself from having to deal with multiple protocols.

RPC, HTTP, POP3, IMAP4, SMTP, ESMTP, X.400, etc. are all different
protocols that define how data are sent and received.

            Client
              ^

        Client Interface        -+
             MAPI                | <= MAPI Subsystem
    Service Provider Interface  -+
      ^        ^          ^
      |        |          |
      v        v          v
    MSMail   Exchange    FAX . . . POP3   IMAP4 <= Service Providers
      ^        ^          ^         ^       ^
      |        |          |         |       |
      v        v          v         v       v
    MSMail  Exchange     FAX       POP3   IMAP4
    Server   Server     Modem     Server  Server

If, for example, the "Exchange" Service Provider is using RPC, or
RPC-Over-HTTP, and uses VPN, Dial-Up, or whatever, the "Client" doen't
have to know (or care).

>Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
>RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

That's a protocol question, not a client question.

You can tell the service provider (the bit that knows how to talk to
that particular server) to encrypt the RPC connection. You can tell
the service provider to use HTTPS (continue that with POP/POPS,
IMAP/IMAPS, etc.)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

True or false:

1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
2) MAPI uses IMAP4
3) MAPI uses POP3
4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/IMAPS/
POPS)

Any responses are appeciated!

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Now I'm confused again... Please help!
>
>True or false:

Yes. MAPI can use the service providers that make those protocols
available. But the application that uses MAPI doesn't really care.

Applications use MAPI (just as they also might use ADSI or ODBC, DAO,
and many other APIs). MAPI presents a uniform interface to the
application regardless of the chosen service provider that connects to
the data source.

>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP

RPC-over-HTTP is part of the "Exchange server" service provider. The
profile may define that RPC-over-HTTPS should be used, but it could
just as well have said to use RPC.

>2) MAPI uses IMAP4

IMAP4 is a protocol that's made available by the "Internet Email"
service provider.

>3) MAPI uses POP3

POP3 is a protocol that's made available by the "Internet Email"
service provider.

>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/IMAPS/
>POPS)

To secure the data, secure the protocol (which is handled by the
service provider). The MAPI profile provides the information to the
service provider.

The data sent and received by the protocols you mention are secured by
the use of SSL.

>Any responses are appeciated!

The meeaning of MAPI (which is an acronym for "Messaging Application
Programming Interface") has, unfortunately, been bastardized to mean
something completely different. It's commonly used as a shorthand for
"Exchange Service Provider" (which really includes access not just to
the mailbox but also to the address book(s), and public folders -- and
probably more that I'm omitting).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?

1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
2) MAPI uses IMAP4
3) MAPI uses POP3
4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
IMAPS/
POPS)

Thanks in advance

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
>brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
>incorrect.

Your desire to simplify a compecate topic will end in tears.

>Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>
>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP

False.

>2) MAPI uses IMAP4

False.

>3) MAPI uses POP3

False.

>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
>IMAPS/
>POPS)

False.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Dennis" <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Taking my 70-284 Exchange exam soon. One area that is still confusing
> me is what MAPI really is and how it compares to imap4/pop3 etc....
> If anyone could set me straight it would be appreciated:
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Mapi is a protocol.. just like IMAP4/POP3 but with more
> features.... right?
> 2) How does MAPI compare to IMAP4? Both can use the default folder
> tree?
> 3) What ports does mapi use? Is there a form of "secure" mapi like
> with imap pop3 and http?
>

> A brief explaination would be very appreciated... Thanks guys

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 12:57:41 AM
The better question is how do you secure an RPC client? (and also "what is
RPC for $1000, alex")

Some RPC based applications /can/ use HTTPS as a secure tunnel.
Using HTTPS is pretty much the same thing as using a VPN.  It tunnels the
RPC traffic through a separately constructed encrypted link.
Many applications (Outlook and Exchange included) don't need separate
tunneling in general though because RPC traffic can be encrypted by the
application itself.

You're only talking about transport though in all of your questions, and
MAPI does more than just provide an interface to a variety of transports.

> ....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
> uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....
>
> Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
> RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:01:23 AM
Your suggestion that answers are incorrect just because you don't understand
them is incorrect.

> Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
> brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
> incorrect.
>

> Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>
> 1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
> 2) MAPI uses IMAP4
> 3) MAPI uses POP3
> 4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
> IMAPS/
> POPS)
>

> Thanks in advance

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:01:53 AM
Most likely your tears. ;)

> Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
>>brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
>>incorrect.
>
> Your desire to simplify a compecate topic will end in tears.
>
>>Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>>
>>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
>
> False.
>
>>2) MAPI uses IMAP4
>
> False.
>
>>3) MAPI uses POP3
>
> False.
>
>>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
>>IMAPS/
>>POPS)
>
> False.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:02:17 AM
"andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote:

>Most likely your tears. ;)

Nah. I tried twice. I'm done.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

ArchiveSink for MAPI client
A small business is using ArchiveSink with Exchange Server 2003. (They prefer Archive Sink rather than Message Journaling.) Incoming SMTP messages are fully archived - message body and all. The problem is that the body of messages from Outlook (outgoing) is not being archived, though the sender/recipients info is archived for every message. Is there a registry setting to turn this on? Thanks ...

Money vs Quicken ?
Can anyone suggest which is better? Thanks! On zorianr@yahoo.com (Zorian) wrote: >Can anyone suggest which is better? >Thanks! I use both, both have their advantages. The reason I use both? Because I want my financial information on my HP680, to do that I have to use Money 2000, but in order to get the information on my Dell Axim I use Pocket Quicken. -------------------------------------------- To send me e-mail exorcise NO Spam from my e-mail address. -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in ...

outlook vs oe default
ok, so I have outlook 2003 installed as my (admin user) default email. the other user (limited) uses oe, no problem. however, when other user attempts to right click pics to "send to mail receipient" it opens a outlook new message window and when send is clicked it never reaches its destination (presumably as outlook is not default client for this user) what to do? thanks and I forgot to mention (if I need to) that I cant change the oe for the limited user to default mail client since, I guess, the user is limited. the change doesnt take. if I were to change it by run...

scan source vs. tech data vs. bluestar
Which is better? Which one provides better pricing? What about better tech support? Shipping times and fees? Best product lineup? Best sales support? Which are you using and why? David Bluestar gives me amazing customer service. As long as they are competitive on pricing I will give them my business "dh" <dh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39E1D5CB-23D3-49FB-B9B8-BC855A75FB2D@microsoft.com... > Which is better? > Which one provides better pricing? > What about better tech support? > Shipping times and fees? > Best product lineup? > Bes...

Autonumbers vs Identity Key
I've got my database (2002) upsized and working well in SQL Server for everything except one hairpulling thing. In Access, when i have a table column defined as an AutoNumber, if i add data to a form, the autonumber field is automatically populated. Now i find that once in SQL Server, it doesn't populate until the record is saved! How am i supposed to refer to the autonumber if i don't know what it is yet??????? ARRRGGGGHHHH dguilbault <dguilbault@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I've got my database (2002) upsized and working well in SQL Server for >e...

Conditional Formatting (Date vs Number)
I have a spreadsheet that is calculating intervals for equipment maintenance. Some of the equipment must be serviced every x months, some of the equipment must be serviced every x hours (of run time). I have all the calculations worked out. The problem I am having is with conditional formatting. In column A I have text that says either "HOURS" or "MONTHS". Based on the value of that cell, I need Column B to be formatted as either a Date (to return the date of the next service) or as a Number (to return the hours till next service). Any ideas on how to do that? Conditional...

General Question: CString vs LPTSTR & LPCTSTR
As I get back into MFC Coding, I'm reminded of the different data types that can be used for proper & efficient coding. Generally, I see functions that use LPTSTR & LPCTSTR. I'm wondering why the CString is not used as much as a parameter. If you pass "CString &", of course, it would be efficient as compared to passing the entire CString class. My understanding it that LPSTR == char* LPCSTR == const char* Then you can throw your "T" in for Unicode conversion. LPTSTR == LPWSTR or LPSTR LPCTSTR == LPCWSTR or LPCSTR I'm confu...

FTE's in Portfolio Server vs Project Server
Is there a way that I can change the calendar for the calculation of FTE's in Portfolio Server? It appears to calculate FTE's based on an 8 hour day, resulting in my Project Server imported Resource Utilisation showing as 0.92 or something per FTE. FYI, the export from PPS to PS Resource Plan the value is correct 1 FTE = 1 FTE, it's just when I Update Availability do I see these different values. Any help would be great thanks, Martin Laukkanen ...

Confused about sheets and "Select" vs "Activate"
I am able to run the following code below: Workbooks("DataBook.xlsm").Sheets(4).Activate However, why does the following code give an error message: Workbooks("DataBook.xlsm").Sheets(4).Select ' ERROR!!! I thought a sheet "activate" call was the same thing as a sheet "select" call. Can anybody explain what is going on here?? thank u i'm guessing you're trying to select a sheet in a non-active workbook. do you have more than 1 workbook open? -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Robert...

PM Apply zoom window vs Discount taken
HI, When I drill down payables transaction up to the Payable Apply Zoom window, I can see that my invoice amount is 9078.45, but only 6936.33 is applied. However, the amount remaining is 0. Looking at the tables, I found that the difference came from the discount taken amount of 2142.12 (ActualDiscTakenAmount field). It is very confusing, we were looking for an apply error and the customer was loosing confidence in the system. Would it be possible to modify this screen to show the discount amount in order to be sure everything is OK. I know I can do it with modifier but it would be...

Finder vs. Outbak.dll
FINDER caused an invalid page fault in module OUTBAK.DLL at 018f:01a65468 Also the when .psf backup dialog box runs a dos window runs in the background - normal? Anyone got any ideas as to why this happens? OS: 98SE Office 2000 ...

Outlook 2003 vs. Windows 2003 and Windows Xp Login
I've a setup where my clients are asked for login everytime they open Outlook. For some reason the system works different from XP to Win 2k3 When a XP user logs in it stores the Username in hkcu\software\microsoft\exchange And the next time he open outlook i remembers the Username. and asks for password. On 2k3, it dosn't write this, and ask for user and pass everytime. Wich makes login irritating for 2k3 users. Tried manualy to enter this info into registry, but no luck. Is that a limit in 2K3 or is there a "feature" i've not been able to discover. (also tried u...

using extended mapi to create a pst file and add items to it #2
Hi, We're migrating users from a proprietary mail system to Exchange and hence We'd like to import the existing messages into .pst files, so the users can access them from Outlook once they're on Exchange. Now, I can't find anything about how to create a .pst file and add email items into it using extended mapi. Can anybody list the simple roadmap for me? Any urls to code samples will be very helpful. In addition, any suggestions of a simple and fast way to do the pst part other that using mapi in c++? aparna ...

Visio 2002: Save as Web Page & Link to PowerPoint vs. embedding PP dilemma
I have a dilemma. I have a multi-page flow chart in Visio 2002. Within the flow chart I link to several PowerPoint(PP) files that give details on steps within the flow chart. Problem: When I save as a webpage and then click on one of the links to a PP it works fine. But when I return to the flow chart, it always returns to the first page of my flow chart. Thus, I lose my place in the flow. I guess it has something to do with frames and returning to the frame I was on. ...a little over my head. Attempted Solution and the problem with it: So, I began pasting all of the PPs in the Vi...

New MFC in VS.NET 2005
Anyone tried the new VS.NET 2005 yet ? Is there a new MFC version in there ? Good news ? And bad ? Bendik http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/hs24szh9(en-us,vs.80).aspx http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/y8bt6w34(en-us,vs.80).aspx "Bendik Engebretsen" <kidneb.nesterbegne@tfoshcet.on> ??????:d4iaaj$sfc$1@news.tdcnorge.no... > Anyone tried the new VS.NET 2005 yet ? Is there a new MFC version in there > ? Good news ? And bad ? > > Bendik > > Anyone tried the new VS.NET 2005 yet ? Is there a new MFC version in there ? > Good news ? And bad ? I h...

purchase inhouse vs web hosting
For a small company ready to make a substantial investment in CRM, can someone lay out the basic pros and cons of considering webhosting for the applications and database, as opposed to bringing it inhouse on an company- owned server? I am assuming that if brought in house, I will still be purchasing help desk support in addition to having a fluent in-house administrator. Thank you. Usually when you elect to use a hosted solution, you have to go with a very standard offering, and are very restricted about the changes that you can make to the application to reflect requirements of yo...

Inventory $$$ vs stock status report
we are using gp10 my inventory $$$ in financial summary about 53k higher then the bottom line $$$$ that are shown in the stock status report. the higher amt shows up on the balance sheet as well. How do I get the $$$ to match? Thanks for the help -- Carol Carol, This occurs rather frequently when firms are using perpetual or average valuation methods for inventory items. When your quantity on hand hits 0 but you continue to sell, running inventory into negative values, the sales are at the currently listed cost. When you receive new items at a different cost, the current cost is s...

Money 2004 Standard vs. Deluxe #2
I'm using Money 2003 Standard and thinking about upgrading to 2004. From the box info, it looks like I need 2004 Deluxe to have invesment tracking (Portfolio?) for my 401K like 2003 Standard has. Am I correct? ...

imap VS persoanl sent items folder
My emails sent from my 'imap' account are copied to the sent items folder in the personal folder. Why they are not copied to the sent items folder of the 'imap' folder? exciter <t24680@hotmail.com> wrote: > My emails sent from my 'imap' account > are copied to the sent items folder in the personal folder. > Why they are not copied to the sent items folder of the > 'imap' folder? Sent Items are always stored in the delivery location's Sent Items folder. If you want Sent Items stored in an IMAP folder, you have to use a rule to copy t...

MFC vs Win32 programming
Hi guys, I have to develop a client GUI application that should have a good look and feel. The only constraint is the application size, which has to be about 2-3 Mb. The GUI will have around 10 buttons , a small vanilla chat application and a component that looks exactly like Yahoo messenger list. I am a bit confusedin using MFC as a simple application will be around 2 MB in size. Please suggest me which alternative is better ? Regards, Patil > I am a bit confusedin using MFC as a simple application will be around > 2 MB in size. How did you get this figure? In VS2005, a wizard...

Access vs Visual Basic (Language Issue)
I have database in access and made some interface for populating database, cause we needed something fast to do it and had no time to make it in vb. And I had Serbian (Latin) characters entered into this dabase and showing in Access forms well. But now when I need to make program in VB, ADO fields does not return me Serbian (Latin) specific characters it returns me English (US) replacements. I do have installed Serbian (Latin) on system but Default language is English (US). (and I must not switch default language to Serbian (Latin)) hopeless for now I am sure that something in ado is done ...

Academic vs Retail
Hello. Just a simple question. Can anybody tell me or point to where I can find the differnences between Office 2007 Pro Academic vs Retail besides licensing and price... Thanks a Million, McClint If you are talking about retail Pro, nothing. Just the licensing. Pkus I believe you cannot use it as a qualifying product for an upgrade. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "McClint" <McClint@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5AB4D61C-F99C-438B-862F-8D1648F9C8A8@micr...

Cannot start pop3 and Imap4 service
I just install a new exchange server in a new domain. and i can't start POP3 and IMAP4 service I have somme errors in the event viewer. a first message : Source : POP3SVC EventID: 1040 Description : An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange POP3 Service: the call to DwInitializeInstances() failed with error 0x64a. the second one : Source : POP3SVC EventID: 1040 Description :An error occurred while starting the Microsoft Exchange POP3 Service: the call to IIS_SERVICE::StartServiceOperation() failed with error 0x64a. it seem to have some pb with the IIS configuration. ...

Formula vs. Constant
Is there a way using excel funtions (not UDF) to find if a cell contains a formula vs. a number (constant). I looked around the forum but did not find anything. I tried using cell function and left function but they return the value in the formula itself. Any help is appreciated. Regards, RK hi you might consider the goto function. press F5. click the special button bottom right. check formula then ok. excel will high light all formulas. you can do the same with constrants. regards FSt1 "rk0909" wrote: > Is there a way using excel funtions (not UDF) to fin...

GAL names vs. Display Names
details: windows 2003 exchange 2003 windows xp outlook 2007 Is it possible to have the global address list sorted as "lastname, firstname" but still have outgoing emails shown as coming from "firstname lastname <email@address.com>"? I have found info on using ADSI to change the display names, but that changes what the outgoing display is set as On 20 Nov 2006 09:43:40 -0800, csawatsky@steinbach.ca wrote: >details: >windows 2003 >exchange 2003 > >windows xp >outlook 2007 > > >Is it possible to have the global address list sorted as &q...