MAPI vs IMAP4

Taking my 70-284 Exchange exam soon. One area that is still confusing
me is what MAPI really is and how it compares to imap4/pop3 etc....
If anyone could set me straight it would be appreciated:

Questions:

1) Mapi is a protocol.. just like IMAP4/POP3 but with more
features.... right?
2) How does MAPI compare to IMAP4? Both can use the default folder
tree?
3) What ports does mapi use? Is there a form of "secure" mapi like
with imap pop3 and http?

A brief explaination would be very appreciated... Thanks guys

-1

.....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....

Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
>uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....

Then you're in big trouble!

MAPI isn't a "wire" protocol. It's software that the application uses
to insulate itself from having to deal with multiple protocols.

RPC, HTTP, POP3, IMAP4, SMTP, ESMTP, X.400, etc. are all different
protocols that define how data are sent and received.

            Client
              ^

        Client Interface        -+
             MAPI                | <= MAPI Subsystem
    Service Provider Interface  -+
      ^        ^          ^
      |        |          |
      v        v          v
    MSMail   Exchange    FAX . . . POP3   IMAP4 <= Service Providers
      ^        ^          ^         ^       ^
      |        |          |         |       |
      v        v          v         v       v
    MSMail  Exchange     FAX       POP3   IMAP4
    Server   Server     Modem     Server  Server

If, for example, the "Exchange" Service Provider is using RPC, or
RPC-Over-HTTP, and uses VPN, Dial-Up, or whatever, the "Client" doen't
have to know (or care).

>Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
>RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

That's a protocol question, not a client question.

You can tell the service provider (the bit that knows how to talk to
that particular server) to encrypt the RPC connection. You can tell
the service provider to use HTTPS (continue that with POP/POPS,
IMAP/IMAPS, etc.)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

True or false:

1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
2) MAPI uses IMAP4
3) MAPI uses POP3
4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/IMAPS/
POPS)

Any responses are appeciated!

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Now I'm confused again... Please help!
>
>True or false:

Yes. MAPI can use the service providers that make those protocols
available. But the application that uses MAPI doesn't really care.

Applications use MAPI (just as they also might use ADSI or ODBC, DAO,
and many other APIs). MAPI presents a uniform interface to the
application regardless of the chosen service provider that connects to
the data source.

>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP

RPC-over-HTTP is part of the "Exchange server" service provider. The
profile may define that RPC-over-HTTPS should be used, but it could
just as well have said to use RPC.

>2) MAPI uses IMAP4

IMAP4 is a protocol that's made available by the "Internet Email"
service provider.

>3) MAPI uses POP3

POP3 is a protocol that's made available by the "Internet Email"
service provider.

>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/IMAPS/
>POPS)

To secure the data, secure the protocol (which is handled by the
service provider). The MAPI profile provides the information to the
service provider.

The data sent and received by the protocols you mention are secured by
the use of SSL.

>Any responses are appeciated!

The meeaning of MAPI (which is an acronym for "Messaging Application
Programming Interface") has, unfortunately, been bastardized to mean
something completely different. It's commonly used as a shorthand for
"Exchange Service Provider" (which really includes access not just to
the mailbox but also to the address book(s), and public folders -- and
probably more that I'm omitting).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?

1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
2) MAPI uses IMAP4
3) MAPI uses POP3
4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
IMAPS/
POPS)

Thanks in advance

Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
>brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
>incorrect.

Your desire to simplify a compecate topic will end in tears.

>Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>
>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP

False.

>2) MAPI uses IMAP4

False.

>3) MAPI uses POP3

False.

>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
>IMAPS/
>POPS)

False.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Dennis" <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Taking my 70-284 Exchange exam soon. One area that is still confusing
> me is what MAPI really is and how it compares to imap4/pop3 etc....
> If anyone could set me straight it would be appreciated:
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Mapi is a protocol.. just like IMAP4/POP3 but with more
> features.... right?
> 2) How does MAPI compare to IMAP4? Both can use the default folder
> tree?
> 3) What ports does mapi use? Is there a form of "secure" mapi like
> with imap pop3 and http?
>

> A brief explaination would be very appreciated... Thanks guys

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 12:57:41 AM
The better question is how do you secure an RPC client? (and also "what is
RPC for $1000, alex")

Some RPC based applications /can/ use HTTPS as a secure tunnel.
Using HTTPS is pretty much the same thing as using a VPN.  It tunnels the
RPC traffic through a separately constructed encrypted link.
Many applications (Outlook and Exchange included) don't need separate
tunneling in general though because RPC traffic can be encrypted by the
application itself.

You're only talking about transport though in all of your questions, and
MAPI does more than just provide an interface to a variety of transports.

> ....nevermind!!  I just stumbled accross a link that mentions MAPI
> uses RPC over HTTP....  everything makes sense now....
>
> Except for one thing... how do you secure a MAPI client? Can they use
> RPC over HTTPS or do you need a VPN connection?

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:01:23 AM
Your suggestion that answers are incorrect just because you don't understand
them is incorrect.

> Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
> brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
> incorrect.
>

> Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>
> 1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
> 2) MAPI uses IMAP4
> 3) MAPI uses POP3
> 4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
> IMAPS/
> POPS)
>

> Thanks in advance

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:01:53 AM
Most likely your tears. ;)

> Dennis <dennispublic@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Rich I appreciate the responses, but there is something to be said for
>>brevity....  your complicated answers to my simple questions are
>>incorrect.
>
> Your desire to simplify a compecate topic will end in tears.
>
>>Could someone please answer this by only using -true- or -false-?
>>
>>1) MAPI uses RPC over HTTP
>
> False.
>
>>2) MAPI uses IMAP4
>
> False.
>
>>3) MAPI uses POP3
>
> False.
>
>>4) To secure MAPI : Secure the protocol its using (ie: use HTTPS/
>>IMAPS/
>>POPS)
>
> False.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> Or to these, either: mailto:h.pott@pinkroccade.com
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@getronics.com
> mailto:melvin.mcphucknuckle@pinkroccade.com

0
awebb7472 (650)
4/30/2007 1:02:17 AM
"andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote:

>Most likely your tears. ;)

Nah. I tried twice. I'm done.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

can't start imap4 service
I'm trying to start the imap4 service on my exchange 2003 server, it says service did not start/respond. This is a fairly new installation, but everything else seems to be working, including owa. There was nothing in the event viewers. Is there something you have to do first, I'm just rightclicking it under protocols under the server and going start. IMAP4 settings. Try this two comlets, Get-IMAP4Settings Set-IMAP4Settings -- Ray MCSE+Internet, MCDBA, MCP "dlw" <dlw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BAB7E44B-FBC9-49A0-A153-5180D2514C87@micr...

owc10 pivotchart save in c# windows forms of vs.net
hi how can i save pivot chart generated using the drag and drop from th fields list from the visual studio.net with c# windows forms. i als need to retrive the chart from the saved details. thanking you delph -- DelphiPosted from - http://www.officehelp.i ...

Task vs Event
What difference is there between the task vs event on items that are reoccuring? I would like a cleaner, easier read for myself. Thanks An event is a full day (or multi day) appointment in the Calendar = folder. It has a definite start and end time.=20 A task is an item in the Tasks folder. Start date and due date are = optional. --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Nancy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Outlook 2000 MAPI Client vs Word 97
Hi, On my computer I use Word/Excel 97 and Outlook/PowerPoint 2000. I noticed the following problem and was wondering if someone would know of a solution : If I create a document in Word and then go to "File, Send to, Mail Recipient..." to attach my unsaved document to an outlook email message, I get the Outlook email box with my document attached to it. Now, if I hit the little floppy disk icon to save my message because I want to send it later .... when I go to Outlook .... I can see that my message got saved in the inbox folder instead of the draft folder..... I would like to...

Client vs server rules
How do you change rules to read form the server rather than the client? Thanks, Mich It's controlled by outlook and depends on the wording of the rule - you have little control over it. http://www.slipstick.com/rules/serverbased.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http...

Dynamically loading V ActiveX Dll in VS 6 exe.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=194873 works perfectly fine when VB ActiveX Dll is linked in the VC++ exe **during compile time**. How do we call a VB DLL dynamically the way we call Win32/MFC dlls using LoadLibrary() or something similar? Is it even possible? I understand that VB Dlls are ActiveX components and this might become more of a COM issue than MFC. I have a fixed function in the VB Dll: float foo(int int1, int int2) and I want to build VB based plugins around this function. One Dll could be adding int1 and int2, one could be subtracting them and so on.. In the ab...

Experts Challenge: MAPI is unable to access Public Folder store items
Goodday to all of you, I have crosspost my messages to several newsgroups. Reason for this is that my previous posts to different newsgroups did not solve the problem. Maybe if I crosspost, there will be an expert that has a solution. Also I am not sure to which group I should post my problem. Maybe this post long-winded, do not see at as material for a novel!!! - I am just trying to explain the exact TERRIBLE situation! ---- ---- ---- ---- I am experiencing a problem with our Public Folder Store. All my users are not be able to access e-mail items in the Public Folders using their Outlo...

Converting from VS 2003 to VS 2005
I have recently converted a fully working application from VS 2003 to VS 2005. I now seem to have lost XP Themes and none of my combo boxes are working. Does anyone have any ideas? Chris "Chris Day" ha scritto nel messaggio news:20089248422chris.day@onwight.net... >I have recently converted a fully working application from VS 2003 to VS >2005. I now seem to have lost XP Themes and none of my combo boxes are >working. Does anyone have any ideas? Hi Chris, do you compile in Unicode mode in VC++ 2005? I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that VC++2005 removes new XP ...

Developing ActiveX controls using MFC in VS.NET
Hi, I am developing an ActiveX control using MFC, which is to be deployed on an web page. If I develop the control using MFC in VS.NET , will the client machine require .NET to be installed on it ? regards, Sachin Sachin Hegde wrote: > Hi, > I am developing an ActiveX control using MFC, which is to be deployed on an > web page. > If I develop the control using MFC in VS.NET , will the client machine > require .NET to be installed on it ? > > regards, > Sachin > > > No. Microsoft slaps the .NET name on everything, even if it does not use the .NET ru...

What's wrong with VS.NET/2005
At the upcoming MVP Summit, we get a chance to give feedback directly to Microsoft about VS. I have my own list of all the problems of VS.NET/2005, but if you have your own favorite issues (bugs, poor interfaces, etc.) post your comments in this thread, and I'll do my best to see that the comments are presented. I will probably summarize them but I will also collect the original postings and present those as well. So here's a chance to be heard! I'll do what I can to convey all your concerns. joe Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flound...

print preview vs actual print
When previewing my brochure, everything looks great. But when it actually prints, I have these mystery boxes that show up on the document. I'm going crazy trying to find these "boxes" so that I can delete them and go to print! What do you mean by :mystery boxes"? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Julana19" <Julana19@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B602D61F-5B77-497D-8780-A2AF9C40BECE@microsoft.com... > When previewing my brochure, everything looks great...

Excel 2003
This has me cofused to no end. I have two tables each with account numbers. In one table they are shown with a dash (123-456789), in the other, with nodash (123456789). Several of the account numbers actually have an alpha character (X04456789 / X04-456789). I have tried just about everything to get a good compare to no avail. Is there a surefire way to do a comparison? I can get the alpha-numeric nember to match but none of the others. Craig How do you want to compare them? 123456789 = numeric number 123-456789 = text string You can virtually "edit out" the dash but then you...

1Profile , Pop3 + Mapi with Exchange offline
Config : Exchange2K3 Sp2 , Win2K3 Server Standard My company has exchange server 2k3 ,with owa-ssl,smtp and pop3 access from the wan, the users inside the company also use mapi (exchange with outlook 2003 offline mode) The problem happens when a laptop user syncronises his mail box using mapi , and afterwards at home performs a pop3 access to his account - he's getting the same emails twice, one from mapi and one from pop3. the question is how can i have the same user access from outside using pop3 and inside with mapi with one profile , without getting duplicate mails ? Thanks, Avi ...

CRM 3 vs CRM 4
We have a client with tons of reports written in Crystal Reports. THey are thinking of upgrading from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0. Are the 'filtered views' the same in CRM 4 and 3 so reports should continue to work ok ??? Thanks a bunch!! The Filtered Views are the same, but there are some structural differences now that there are M:M relationships between entities. However, Crystal Reports are not the supported report designer in CRM 3.0 or 4.0, which makes me curious as to how your client is utilizing Crystal Reports in 3.0. -- MD "Al" wrote: > We have a client wit...

MAPI problems
I get the following message when I hit reply (as opposed to reply group) in Outlook Express. Microsoft Outlook: Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfil the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client. I no longer wish to use Outlook as my default mail client. I wish to use Pegasus instead. How can I fix this? (I have also posted to comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows ) Richard Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this...

Mapi connection without UI dialog
I wish to use the function MAPILogon(..) without the option MAPI_LOGON_UI. If I does not follow currently connected has outlook, this function returns MAPI_E_FAILURE ulResult = MAPILogon(0, "MyProfile, "MyPass", MAPI_NEW_SESSION, 0L, &lhSession) Someone knows it which is the format of the string "MyProfile" ? Is this that can use it Mapi without that outlook interactively is launched ? Can you help me ? Thanks See http://www.cdolive.com/cdo5.htm#SendMessage for different login methods for CDO. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Lead Au...

Microsoft Outlook vs Outlook Express
How do I transfer all my contacts from outlook express to microsoft outlook? "Amanda" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0e5301c42613$559b9430$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I transfer all my contacts from outlook express to > microsoft outlook? In Outlook File-Import and Export-Import Internet Mail and Addresses perhaps? ...

Outlook Vs Outlook Express #4
I am a longtime user of MS Office Suite. For my mail program I use Outlook bundled with MS Office 2002. Recently I purchased and installed McAfee's Firewall, Internet Security and Virus bundle. I have set and reset nearly all of the security settings to what I thought was an acceptable level. The first issue manifested itself by error messages indicating failure to recognize server settings etc. I called Roadrunner support and was imediately moved to Outlook Express because they do not support Outlook. Although I had to re-enter all of my contacts this worked for awhile. Now, ho...

Class Wizard/MFC in VS.Net
anybody know how to access the class wizard for an MFC app within VS.Net 02 or 03?? it doesn't seem to be right off the main menu anymore like it used to be in previous versions of VS. i did figure out how to bring it up for adding a new class but what if you want to do maintenance on an existing class?? SilentCry <Xswe@Xearthlink.net> bored us with: > anybody know how to access the class wizard for an MFC app within > VS.Net 02 or 03?? it doesn't seem to be right off the main menu > anymore like it used to be in previous versions of VS. i did figure > out how to ...

Post CDO patch problem w/ MAPI reviewing the content of a PF
We have a problem after installing the CDO patch on E2K with a VB 6 application which uses MAPI to review the content of a public folder. For example, say the time is currently 4:00 PM. The program is suppose to retreive email -30 minutes from 4:00PM. The VB code accuretly returns the current Time as 4:00 PM and the subtraction of 30 minutes also is correct, which is 3:30 PM. The 3:30 PM is supplied to the MAPI filter to retrieve email starting from that time. However it is not doing that. It tries to retrieve from 4:30 PM onwards therfore it cannot find anything because the current time...

Outlook Conector vs Hotmail Plus
Hello: What differences of operation have found between "Outlook Connector" and the service of payment "Hotmail Plus"? Testing "Outlook Connector" some times gives a message of error when I Iike to check the message, then finally, is there not problem with Hotmail Plus (that I believe that now is called "Windows Live Bonus")? -- Miguel M. Yal´┐Żn http://mmyv.com Miguel wrote: > What differences of operation have found between "Outlook Connector" and the > service of payment "Hotmail Plus"? > > Testing "Out...

information abt MAPI propertys
hi all, am writting message level backup and restore appliaction for Exchange 2000. Can anybody thr tell me Where do i get information abt what a particular MAPI property indicates . say i have property tag : 0x3006001e what does this mean in Exchange's Contextwhat this value for . 0x3006 : Property identifier : Common properties that appear on multiple objects, such as PR_DISPLAY_NAME and PR_ENTRYID ox 001e : for ANSI string so what is this string exactly for when table is of Message Store ,mailboxes,folder ?? how will i know which value is for which particular E...

Money Newsgroup: Regular News Server vs. Microsoft Communities Server
I noticed the same newsgroup is available via a regular news server (Giganews) as well as the Microsoft Communities server. Interesting, the same group there had messages going back as far as 2003. Do messages posted on either wind up on both? Is there an advantage to using one over the other? Thanks! I think if you look you will find that the Vista "Communities" account server points to msnews.microsoft.com--just like my non-Vista machines. The prime difference seems to be the setting telling the reader that it supports the Communities features. "Ben" <no_...

spam? vs not spam
I have several emails go directly into my deleted mail box because outlook thinks its spam. How do i tell it that this isnt spam (like on AOL you just push one button that says *this isnt spam*) I cant find where to do this for Outlook express. thanks Please also reply to Peaches3@cox.net as I may not find my way back here =) angel Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express? If Outlook, which version of Outlook? What antispam addin are you using? While there isn't a button that says "this isn't spam", Outlook 2003 lets you make messages as not junk when you use the junk...

Single quote vs. double quote
I think I've read somewhere about the differences between single quote and double quote in a sql query. I happened to see at least 1 of the differences between them today when I was playing pivot with my sql server 2008. I simplified the table as below, just to make your life easier. CREATE DATABASE [BugTracker] Go Use [BugTracker] Go CREATE TABLE [reports]( [rp_id] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL, [rp_chart_type] [varchar](8) NOT NULL, CONSTRAINT [pk_reports] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ( [rp_id] ASC )) insert into reports values ('pie') insert into reports...