Making EX2007 a second domain controller

We are migrating from SBS2003 to Exchange 2007.  After making sure all was
well with the Ex2007 installation, I ran dcpromo on the EX2007 server, but
it would not work because it said the shema was not compatable.  It said to
run Adprep, but that would probably break Exchange 2007.

Is there a patch or hotfix to let dcpromo know that the Exchange 2007
modified schema is not an old legacy shema that needs updating ?

Or What ?

(The next version of Small Business Server is going to run Longhorn with
Ex2007 as a domain controller)

0
swb_mct (64)

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:56:41 -0600, "steveb" <swb_mct@msn.com> wrote:

>We are migrating from SBS2003 to Exchange 2007.  After making sure all was
>well with the Ex2007 installation, I ran dcpromo on the EX2007 server, but
>it would not work because it said the shema was not compatable.  It said to
>run Adprep, but that would probably break Exchange 2007.
>
>Is there a patch or hotfix to let dcpromo know that the Exchange 2007
>modified schema is not an old legacy shema that needs updating ?
>
>Or What ?
>
>(The next version of Small Business Server is going to run Longhorn with
>Ex2007 as a domain controller)

Putting E2007 on a DC is not recommended.
Running DCPROMO on an existing E2007 is Not Supported. ( or any
version of E200x for that matter)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1e80857c-b870-4a6d-a0f4-ff7b3a7be037.aspx

You'll need to bring up another DC. A small workstation class or
virtual machine may suffice.
0
adavid (8731)
1/30/2007 12:11:24 AM
Following the Small Business Server Model, which runs Exchange on a DC,
which is also going to be true for Ex2007 on Longhorn, I gave it a try.

I found the problem was the exisitng domain did not have the R2 schema, but
the EX2007 was on an R2 member server.  When running Adprep from R2, running
DCPromo on Ex2007 went OK.

I understand your general point about Ex on DC, but for small organiations
with a handful of users performance is not an issue

Thanks

Anyway,  Thanks for the help

"Andy David {MVP}" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:56:41 -0600, "steveb" <swb_mct@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>We are migrating from SBS2003 to Exchange 2007.  After making sure all was
>>well with the Ex2007 installation, I ran dcpromo on the EX2007 server, but
>>it would not work because it said the shema was not compatable.  It said
>>run Adprep, but that would probably break Exchange 2007.
>>
>>Is there a patch or hotfix to let dcpromo know that the Exchange 2007
>>modified schema is not an old legacy shema that needs updating ?
>>
>>Or What ?
>>
>>(The next version of Small Business Server is going to run Longhorn with
>>Ex2007 as a domain controller)
>>

> Putting E2007 on a DC is not recommended.
> Running DCPROMO on an existing E2007 is Not Supported. ( or any
> version of E200x for that matter)
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1e80857c-b870-4a6d-a0f4-ff7b3a7be037.aspx
>

> You'll need to bring up another DC. A small workstation class or
> virtual machine may suffice.

0
swb_mct (64)
1/30/2007 12:41:12 AM
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 18:41:12 -0600, "steveb" <swb_mct@msn.com> wrote:

>Following the Small Business Server Model, which runs Exchange on a DC,
>which is also going to be true for Ex2007 on Longhorn, I gave it a try.

SBS is specfically designed and tuned for this. Running regular Exch
on a DC is not the same thing. Its not recommended for so many
reasons: Security, dsacess issues, memory, performance, DR, etc...

>I found the problem was the exisitng domain did not have the R2 schema, but
>the EX2007 was on an R2 member server.  When running Adprep from R2, running
>DCPromo on Ex2007 went OK.

What you did is not supported and may/will cause you problems in the
future as it has a habit of breaking things.

>I understand your general point about Ex on DC, but for small organiations
>with a handful of users performance is not an issue.

But DR and the other issues mentioned above are.
Sorry, but them's the facts.

>Thanks
>
>Anyway,  Thanks for the help
>

>"Andy David {MVP}" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:56:41 -0600, "steveb" <swb_mct@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>>>We are migrating from SBS2003 to Exchange 2007.  After making sure all was
>>>well with the Ex2007 installation, I ran dcpromo on the EX2007 server, but
>>>it would not work because it said the shema was not compatable.  It said
>>>run Adprep, but that would probably break Exchange 2007.
>>>
>>>Is there a patch or hotfix to let dcpromo know that the Exchange 2007
>>>modified schema is not an old legacy shema that needs updating ?
>>>
>>>Or What ?
>>>
>>>(The next version of Small Business Server is going to run Longhorn with
>>>Ex2007 as a domain controller)
>>>

>> Putting E2007 on a DC is not recommended.
>> Running DCPROMO on an existing E2007 is Not Supported. ( or any
>> version of E200x for that matter)
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1e80857c-b870-4a6d-a0f4-ff7b3a7be037.aspx
>>

>> You'll need to bring up another DC. A small workstation class or
>> virtual machine may suffice.

0
adavid (8731)

Alternative to Calendar Control 8.0
I noticed that the Active X Calendar Control 8.0 control is not currently installed on my machines at work, and for now I am assuming that I will NOT be allowed to install it at my highly secure workplace. (I couldnt find it anywhere in the "Additional Controls" area) So.... Does anybody have any bright ideas on how to implement something similar to a calendar control?? I just want an easy way for my users to select a date. Right now we are simply typing a date in a target cell, but I thought it would be nice if we could select dates in a more flexible manner. The...

how do i make sum if expressions?
until now i worked in M Excel, but now i'd like to change to Access I have the following formulas that i'd like use in Access but don't know how SUM IF (f2:f2000;Paper;i2:i2000) and where should i introduce this expression Thanks "szidi" <szidi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD07E170-234B-4E39-A7D8-153275AB7142@microsoft.com... > until now i worked in M Excel, but now i'd like to change to Access > I have the following formulas that i'd like use in Access but don't know > how > > SUM IF (f2:f2000;Paper;i2:i2000) >...

R2 OWA domain login required
We have an Exchange 2003 Enterprise server running on a Server 2003 SP1 standard server. We need to rebuild this server but it is an AD server so we are going to migrate the users to an interim server (Server B), remove the original server from the Exchange group (Server A), remove it from AD, then rebuild it and move all the users back. Server B is a Windows Server 2003 R2 standard server with Exchange 2003 Enterprise. The install went fine. The replication of the system and public folders went fine. Moving the users (not all have been moved yet) is going fine. BUT, the problem is that on the...

The ActiveX control could not be created
Hello, In the Project Center of PWA 2007 + SP2 and Aug CU, I did: Actions > Export Grid to Excel. But I got the error: "The ActivX control on which this feature depends could not be created. Because of this error, you can only copy the XML data to the clipboard. Do you want to continue?" How/where can I install this ActiveX control? Thanks for your help. Depending on your IE security settings, it should prompt you to install the ActiveX control. Have you set the site as a trusted site within IE? - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.co...

Time format control
Hi everyone, I have a time of 08:38 and would like to truncate the last minute by using formatting to achieve 08:30. I currently do this using a formula to remove the last minute. I have tried custom formatting of hh.m but I still get 08:38. I have even tried hh.m"0" but get 08:380. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Regards Brad You can use this formula, it sounds as though you want round down to nearest 10th minute =FLOOR(A1,1/144) -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Brad kennedy" <brad_6663@hotmail...

PDFC Reader Control
Since I didn't get much of a response on a previous post, I am going to try this from a different angle. I have a form with a PDFC Reader control on it. Various pdf files are opened and viewed in the control. I would like to be able to identify and close specific documents from code and haven't been able to determine how this is done. Does anybody have any suggestions on how this could be done? From where did you get the control? Have you contacted them? -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Rich K" &l...

Can we bind a control to the static member variable ?
Hi, I was wondering, can we bind a control ? e.g. Can an edit box be bound with a static variable of type CEdit ?? I have tried but giving error.. ===== Regards, Jigar Mehta Jigar Mehta wrote: > Hi, > > I was wondering, can we bind a control ? > > e.g. Can an edit box be bound with a static variable of type CEdit ?? > > I have tried but giving error.. > ===== > Regards, > Jigar Mehta > > That is a very unusual thing to want to do. I don't know if it works because I've never needed such a thing. Can you tell us about the error you get,...

Cut/Copy/Paste not working for a subclassed edit control
What do I need to do to regain this functionality? Thanks, Drew Well, why did it stop working? AliR. "Drew" <dam@dam.dam> wrote in message news:ul$zFMjyHHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > What do I need to do to regain this functionality? > > Thanks, > Drew > Maybe if you can tell us how to recreate it. AliR. "AliR (VC++ MVP)" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message news:FEOni.22648$RX.6967@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net... > Well, why did it stop working? > > AliR. > > > "Drew" <dam@dam.dam> wrote in me...

Not receiving emails from a specific domain
I couldn't find a search term that would show any messages that dealt with this issue so I apologize if this has been asked and answered already. I moderate a website that sends me messages when I receive a new PM, or a reply to a message I've posted in. I've received these forever. All of a sudden I stopped receiving them. I contacted the administrator of the website who assured me that everything was working properly on the server end. I double checked all settings in my website account profile and everything is set properly there. I contacted my ISP to find out if the do...

Multiple Domains in Exchange 2000
I have a client collecting email from 4 different domains using SBS2K/Exchange2K The problem is that one of the departments gets some of its mail through an ISP mailbox. Exchange recipient policy has to have this ISP domain listed and checked or email coming in with this address is rejected. Yet because this is a popular ISP there is a requirement to be able to send outgoing email to OTHER subscribers using this same ISP.... But Exchange sees itself as solely responsible for the ISP domain and won't pass outgoing messages addressed to it. Does anybody have any ideas how to get round th...

controling excel from vba access and using sub procedures
Hi All, I'm having trouble getting my code to work using sub procedures in my vba code, this only happens when i am interacting with excel. I've tried to copy all the dims and defs from the calling procedure but to no avail at this time. sample code below. Dim strPath As String Dim rst As DAO.Recordset Dim Excel_Application As Excel.Application Dim Excel_Workbook As Excel.Workbook Dim Current_Worksheet As Excel.Worksheet Dim Data_Range Dim Worksheet_Name Dim db As Database Dim rs As Recordset D_now = Format(Date, "dd-mm-yy") ' Formated to use as part of fi...

CMSFlexGrid control
Hi Group I have created a dll which houses dialogs and controls for all my application. I have a cmsflexgird control in one of a CPropertyPage dialog. I find i am unable to acess this control directly from my main application program. where else i am able to acess other standard controls& variables from the same property page. Currently iam acessing this control only from the interface class of the dll. -- Regards Did you remember to export the flexgrid classes that the ide created for you in your dll? Ali R. "beauwlf" <jamesg@pd.jaring.my> wrote in message new...

outlook asks for username, password and domain
How do you get Outlook XP to stop asking for logon credentials every time it is opened. I'm able to login fine after I enter them except when using a VPN Outlook keeps trying to request data and never really opens. ...

How to create a "really" transparence MFC control?
I wrote a D3D app based on the MFC dialog,the app's draw frequency is 30FPS.It has a main dialog,i create the D3D device on it,also i create some sub dialogs and controls on this main dialog.When i run this app, some errors appear.When i click or move the sub dialogs and controls it reflash on the background(I think the MFC's draw frequency unequal to the D3D app's draw frequency cause this problem), this bring on the bad effect.Is there any methods let this sub dialogs and controls didn't reflash or redraw themself to be "really" transparence:only receive or send...

Making Main Form Read Only
Hi, I am trying to make my main form read only until they click a button called "Start Editing". I have this working but when I make the form read only, it disables the lookup drop down to search through the data. Can anybody help. It seems to easy! This is indeed a sideeffect of setting AllowEdits = False I Usually circumvent using the Tag Property & a TextBox (EditEnable) Private Sub Form_Current() Dim C As Access.Control For Each C In Me.Controls Select Case C.ControlType Case acControlType.acListBox, acControlType.acComboBox, acControlType.acTextBox, _ ...

Make Visio Add-In working in Debug Mode
Hi folks, Unfortunately my Visio Solution crashed during development. There it was possible to start it out of Visual Studio just by hitting the debug button. So I copied the source files to a new system in order to make the devolopment possible again. But if I start Visio and the Add-In there just by debugging it does not register and the Add-In isn't available within Visio. If I build a setup and install my solution it works again. But I'd like to check new functionality in a fast way just by debugging. Any ideas? Would the new machine have .Net Framework 2 installed? If so, put...

Hide subforms control from main forms control
I have no idea how to hide some controls in my subform if value in a textbox in main form is >1 or =1.I can't write a code. Please help. Ciao New_Access wrote: > I have no idea how to hide some controls in my subform > if value in a textbox in main form is >1 or =1.I can't write a code. > Please help. Private sub form_current() if youControlName => "1" then forms!NameForm!SubForm.form.YouControlName.visible = false end if end sub -- Ciao Geppo geppo, why does access think my FormName is a fieldname. "geppo" <ccc@tin.it.inva...

Make cells match
In sheet 1 I am asking several Yes/No questions. I have a cell after the Yes and after the NO that I want the value "X" entered into. It will of course either be one or the other. I then want that "X" to show up in sheet 2, which is a form I want filled in with the data from sheet 1. If I simply do A1 = C1 and B1 = C2 I get a value of "0" in the cell they didn't put an "X" in. So if the put an "X" in the Yes cell in sheet 1 then an "X" shows up in the Yes cell in sheet 2, BUT since they didn't put anything in the No cell...

ActiveX control problem
Sometime ago I created an OCX control in Visual Basic 6. It's basically two VB controls in one with some added features. I have been using it in a CDialog class and dropped in the dialog. It works fine on a Win98 machine but when installed on a WinXP machine the dialog is not displayed. Nothing happens! The control is registered on the XP machine. Thanks, Mark > Sometime ago I created an OCX control in Visual Basic 6. It's basically > two VB controls in one with some added features. I have been using it in > a CDialog class and dropped in the dialog. It works fine on a Win...

Making my website "Firefox Friendly"
Having uploaded my Publisher website, I'm hearing from friends that only the first page is visable in Firefox. The links to subsequent pages don't work. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance! In the future, please post web related questions in the web group at microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign and we will try to help you there. In the meantime go to Tools > Options > Web tab and uncheck "Rely on VML..." (Pub 2003) and "Allow PNG...", and do not use a master page in a Publisher web publication. DavidF "VictorySpeedway" <TeachSeek@gma...

insert WPF user control in ppt slide
Any way to insert WPF user control in ppt slide? Thanks, Vatia ...

How do I make Saturday and Sunday full frame in Oulook 2003?
Saturday and Sunday are my busiest days. There is not enough room for my appointments in the monthly view. How can I make them full frame instead of half frame? Right click on an empty spot in the Calendar and choose Other Settings... Here disable the option for "Compress weekends days" -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Weekender" <Weekender@discussi...

control a sub/function via a dropdown menu
Hello, I have a dropdown menu on a chart. What must I do to control a sub/function depending on the selection of the dropdown menu. To make it clear .. every time I make a selection on the dropdown menu a function should be executed. Hope somebody can help me! Thanks in advance! daMike Mike - The dropdown is a Forms Toolbar dropdown, so you can right click on it to assign a macro. Also, you can link it to a cell, and the cell holds the index of the selected item. So your macro can check the index, then perform the appropriate actions. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP h...

CRM on SBS (Internet, Domain)
Hello! I need your help regarding CRM server. I installed CRM server on the Small Business Server and it is working perfect. Our company have four offices on three diffrent locations. Server is in the HQ and i want to contact this server from any other office but i am not able to do so. On the local network it is working and server has IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS1 and DNS2. I am not able to Ping IP address from other office (Request time out 100% loss). Is there any body to help me how can i use CRM server in the any other office. I have Windows Server 2003 and cont...

Accessing thru OWA & multi-domains
Hi there, I'm using Exchange 2003 and a forest that contains three domains. Users from the Exchange default domain can login via OWA but users from the other two domains get the dreaded three auths and then HTTP 401 unauthorized. Mailboxes exists and mail can be sent to them. The users show up in the address box. The Exchange default domain also contains the GC. I've checked replication, DNS, auth in Exchange & IIS (both are set to Basic & IWA), permissions on directories, etc. Basically, everythng that that I found in the MS knowledgebase. The forest is a mixed env with ...