Mails stuck in "vsi 1\Queue" folder - but doesn't appear in System Manager Queue view

Hi!

I am currently tracing an Exchange queue issue that I cannot figure
out myself.

We are running Windows 2003 SP2 Exchange 2003 ENT SP2 - but
periodically emails are stuck in the "vsi 1\Queue" folder on the disk.
However, the messages doesn't appear in the "Queue" view in the
Exchange System Manager - and all Exchange logs (Transport + SMTP)
says that the emails have been delivered correctly to all receipients
- although in rare circumstances certain receipients doesn't receive
the emails either.

The problem seem to have been minimized after applying Windows 2003
SP2 - but hasn't gone away completely.

We are using an Event Sink (=antispam + antivirus) that catches emails
both on the SMTP level and the mailbox level - but both are working
correctly and the logs for these doesn't report anything. Other
servers running the same setup doesn't appear to have this issue.

A restart of the SMTP service clears the "vsi 1\Queue" folder - but
then the emails are delivered once more.

The emails are perfectly valid - and are neither spam or NDR messages.

Anybody have a clue to how this can be resolved?

Best regards,

Michael Hansen

0
miha96ac (2)

"miha96ac" <miha96ac@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am currently tracing an Exchange queue issue that I cannot figure
>out myself.
>
>We are running Windows 2003 SP2 Exchange 2003 ENT SP2 - but
>periodically emails are stuck in the "vsi 1\Queue" folder on the disk.
>However, the messages doesn't appear in the "Queue" view in the
>Exchange System Manager - and all Exchange logs (Transport + SMTP)
>says that the emails have been delivered correctly to all receipients
>- although in rare circumstances certain receipients doesn't receive
>the emails either.
>
>The problem seem to have been minimized after applying Windows 2003
>SP2 - but hasn't gone away completely.
>

>We are using an Event Sink (=antispam + antivirus) that catches emails
>both on the SMTP level and the mailbox level - but both are working
>correctly and the logs for these doesn't report anything. Other
>servers running the same setup doesn't appear to have this issue.
>

>A restart of the SMTP service clears the "vsi 1\Queue" folder - but
>then the emails are delivered once more.
>

>The emails are perfectly valid - and are neither spam or NDR messages.
>

>Anybody have a clue to how this can be resolved?

This perhaps isn't the solution, but it's something you can try and
see if it helps:

Set the "GlitchRetrySeconds" to a value larger than 60 seconds, but
not greater than 120 seconds. Restart the SMTP service.

This sort of behavior has been seen with other outbound messages from
MAPI/RPC clients. It's usually evoked by receiving a 421 status.
Setting the GlitchRetrySeconds value to a larger value seems to help
when dealing with servers that use greylisting.

You may also have a problem with your AV software scanning the Queue
directory and preventing the SMTP service from deleting the message
from the directory.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
<richn...@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:

> Set the "GlitchRetrySeconds" to a value larger than 60 seconds,but
> not greater than 120 seconds. Restart the SMTP service.
>
> This sort of behavior has been seen with other outbound messages from
> MAPI/RPC clients. It's usually evoked by receiving a 421 status.
> Setting the GlitchRetrySeconds value to a larger value seems to help
> when dealing with servers that use greylisting.
>
> You may also have a problem with your AV software scanning theQueue
> directory and preventing the SMTP service from deleting the message
> from the directory.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen

Thanks Rich, I will try that.

It does however appear that it is primarely inbound messages that are
getting stuck in the queue - but I'll also try to configure my AV to
ignore the queue directory.

Best regards,

Michael

0
miha96ac (2)
4/10/2007 6:12:29 AM
"miha96ac" <miha96ac@hotmail.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>It does however appear that it is primarely inbound messages that are
>getting stuck in the queue - but I'll also try to configure my AV to
>ignore the queue directory.

Outbound messages from a single server never get put into the Queue
directory. :-)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Mails stuck in "vsi 1\Queue" folder
Hi! I am currently tracing an Exchange queue issue that I cannot figure out myself. We are running Windows 2003 SP2 Exchange 2003 ENT SP2 - but periodically emails are stuck in the "vsi 1\Queue" folder on the disk. However, the messages doesn't appear in the "Queue" view in the Exchange System Manager - and all Exchange logs (Transport + SMTP) says that the emails have been delivered correctly to all receipients - although in rare circumstances certain receipients doesn't receive the emails either. The problem seem to have been minimized after applying Windows 20...

Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue
I have messages here and the system manager has a corresponding amount of messages in retry under the queues what would cause these not to go out, and what might cause these to get sent out all at once. ...

Virus in the Mailroot\vsi 1\queue.... can I delete ???
ScanMail has detected the virus HTML_Netsky.P in 4 messages that are held in the Mailroot\vsi 1\queue is it ok to delete these without any reprocussions? ScanMail is unable to remove. The best practice against a virus y delete this. For this use the System Manager to delete directly at the queue icon -- Jorge Patricio D�az Guzm�n MCP http://www.itpro.cl This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Penny Miller" <Penny.Miller@co.chelan.wa.us> escribi� en el mensaje news:Oq3O%23YvWFHA.2080@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > ScanMa...

...\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue folder
....\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue folder Hi, We have Exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. We define SMTP connector based on default SMTP virtual server. Queue directory for default SMTP virtual server is C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue Mail flow works fine, but I never see mails in C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue folder, in spite of the fact that I see in Exchange 2003 Queues mails waiting in this SMTP connector (SMTP connector use smart host delivery and when smart host is unavailable messages just waiting) I see Rich Matheisen wrote in http://groups-beta...