Mailbox throws "Exchange is currently in recovery mode" message when opening

Experts,

Running Windows Server 2003 SP1.  Exchange SP2.  I went ahead and deleted an
AD account of type InetOrgPerson and it's associated mailbox.  Even though
the AD account was an InetOrgPerson type, it seemed to work ok like that up
until the last couple of days until it mysteriously stopped working.  So I
re-created the account, setting it to type "user" instead of InetOrgPerson.
I ran a mailbox cleanup agent task on the store and purged the mailbox.
Re-created it about 5 seconds later.  This is the only store on the only
server in the site.  When I tried to open Outlook with this account on
another workstation I got the below error.  Pressing OK lets me into the
mailbox anyway.  Opening other mailboxes on the server do not give me the
error.  I am looking for insight onto this new error.

"Exchange is currently in recovery mode.  You can either connect to your
Exchange server using the network, work offline, or cancel this logon."

--
Spin

0
Spin (165)

In news:3vhtklF15hi68U1@individual.net,
Spin <Spin@spin.com> typed:
> Experts,
>
> Running Windows Server 2003 SP1.  Exchange SP2.  I went ahead and
> deleted an AD account of type InetOrgPerson and it's associated
> mailbox.  Even though the AD account was an InetOrgPerson type, it
> seemed to work ok like that up until the last couple of days until it
> mysteriously stopped working.  So I re-created the account, setting
> it to type "user" instead of InetOrgPerson. I ran a mailbox cleanup
> agent task on the store and purged the mailbox. Re-created it about 5
> seconds later.  This is the only store on the only server in the
> site.  When I tried to open Outlook with this account on another
> workstation I got the below error.  Pressing OK lets me into the
> mailbox anyway.  Opening other mailboxes on the server do not give me
> the error.  I am looking for insight onto this new error.
> "Exchange is currently in recovery mode.  You can either connect to
> your Exchange server using the network, work offline, or cancel this
> logon."

Disable cached mode, delete the OST file, re-enable cached mode.

0
lanwench (7567)
12/5/2005 4:32:08 AM
Thanks, it is not using an *.ost on the client.

--
Spin

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> In news:3vhtklF15hi68U1@individual.net,
> Spin <Spin@spin.com> typed:
>> Experts,
>>
>> Running Windows Server 2003 SP1.  Exchange SP2.  I went ahead and
>> deleted an AD account of type InetOrgPerson and it's associated
>> mailbox.  Even though the AD account was an InetOrgPerson type, it
>> seemed to work ok like that up until the last couple of days until it
>> mysteriously stopped working.  So I re-created the account, setting
>> it to type "user" instead of InetOrgPerson. I ran a mailbox cleanup
>> agent task on the store and purged the mailbox. Re-created it about 5
>> seconds later.  This is the only store on the only server in the
>> site.  When I tried to open Outlook with this account on another
>> workstation I got the below error.  Pressing OK lets me into the
>> mailbox anyway.  Opening other mailboxes on the server do not give me
>> the error.  I am looking for insight onto this new error.
>> "Exchange is currently in recovery mode.  You can either connect to
>> your Exchange server using the network, work offline, or cancel this
>> logon."
>
> Disable cached mode, delete the OST file, re-enable cached mode.

0
Spin (165)
12/5/2005 12:55:06 PM

In news:3virisF161p3bU1@individual.net,
Spin <Spin@spin.com> typed:
> Thanks, it is not using an *.ost on the client.

If it's using cached mode it is. Double check.

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:ukN8bcV%23FHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>

>> In news:3vhtklF15hi68U1@individual.net,
>> Spin <Spin@spin.com> typed:
>>> Experts,
>>>
>>> Running Windows Server 2003 SP1.  Exchange SP2.  I went ahead and
>>> deleted an AD account of type InetOrgPerson and it's associated
>>> mailbox.  Even though the AD account was an InetOrgPerson type, it
>>> seemed to work ok like that up until the last couple of days until
>>> it mysteriously stopped working.  So I re-created the account,
>>> setting it to type "user" instead of InetOrgPerson. I ran a mailbox
>>> cleanup agent task on the store and purged the mailbox. Re-created
>>> it about 5 seconds later.  This is the only store on the only
>>> server in the site.  When I tried to open Outlook with this account
>>> on another workstation I got the below error.  Pressing OK lets me
>>> into the mailbox anyway.  Opening other mailboxes on the server do
>>> not give me the error.  I am looking for insight onto this new
>>> error. "Exchange is currently in recovery mode.  You can either
>>> connect to your Exchange server using the network, work offline, or
>>> cancel this logon."
>>
>> Disable cached mode, delete the OST file, re-enable cached mode.

0
lanwench (7567)
12/5/2005 3:16:26 PM
Deleted then re-created the Outlook profile and all is well.

--
Spin

"Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, it is not using an *.ost on the client.
>
> --
> Spin

0
Spin (165)
12/5/2005 3:58:10 PM
How?  I searched for all *.ost file on the client and did not find any.

--
Spin

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> If it's using cached mode it is. Double check.

0
Spin (165)
12/5/2005 4:23:04 PM

In news:3vj7p1F1628i0U1@individual.net,
Spin <Spin@spin.com> typed:
> How?  I searched for all *.ost file on the client and did not find
> any.

Did you search hidden & system folders as well? You need to.
You could easily tell if the user was using an OST file by checking to see
whether cached mode was enabled in the mail profile.

>> If it's using cached mode it is. Double check.

0
lanwench (7567)

Exchange is currently in recovery mode
Hi all, I've just built and SBS 2003 network but one of my users gets the smae message everytime they open outlook 2003. It reads 'exchange is currently in recovery mode'. Anyone got any ideas why this may be happening? The profile is setup in exactly the same way as every other user. No one else gets this message either. Looking forward to an answer Take care Delete the users profile and recreate it. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1c96d01c45312$b6ea46...

"Exchange is currently in recovery mode." message from OL2003
I con't find any information on the error from Outlook 2003 in the kb articles or premiere support... three options connect, work offline, or cancel... OL2003 won't go into cached mode... thanx! Did you recently restore the Exchange DB? Generally what you need to do here is create a new Outlook profile and remove the old .ost files. "Steve Anderson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1dc901c49a61$353bc030$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I con't find any information on the error from Outlook > 2003 in the kb articles or premiere support......