Mailbox Size is Larger on EX2003

I've moved a mailbox from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 and the size has
increased 30%. Two folders contained corrupted messages and would not allow
the mailbox to move. I archived the contents of these two folders and the
move was successful and I was able to then import the messages back into the
mailbox from the PSTs.

I really don't think the Import/Export of messages has anything to do with
it but the mailbox was 219MB on EX2000 and is now 320MB on EX2003.

Any ideas?

K. Leonard

Look for duplicate messages. I had this problem with a couple of my
mailboxes. The migration would go to a point then fail. But up to that point
the new mailbox was growing. I then exported the old mailbox to PST then
imported, and wound up with 3/4 of the mail box being duplicates of those
that already moved over. Could also be an issue with single instance storage
of attachments.

"K. Leonard" <leonard_kathy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've moved a mailbox from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 and the size has
> increased 30%. Two folders contained corrupted messages and would not
allow
> the mailbox to move. I archived the contents of these two folders and the
> move was successful and I was able to then import the messages back into
the
> mailbox from the PSTs.
>
> I really don't think the Import/Export of messages has anything to do with
> it but the mailbox was 219MB on EX2000 and is now 320MB on EX2003.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> K. Leonard

0
danking65 (22)
5/10/2004 3:23:00 PM
It was always 320mb. Mere act of moving mails to a new store just refreshed
the calculation.

There have been some problems with accurately reporting mailbox size in
Exchange 2000, all the known ones of which are fixed as of April 2004. These
fixes require you to perform isinteg -fix -test alltests against each of the
stores until you get zero errors from isinteg.

On Exchange 2003 there are no such problems to our knowledge.

Baris.

"Dan King" <danking65@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Look for duplicate messages. I had this problem with a couple of my
> mailboxes. The migration would go to a point then fail. But up to that
> point
> the new mailbox was growing. I then exported the old mailbox to PST then
> imported, and wound up with 3/4 of the mail box being duplicates of those
> that already moved over. Could also be an issue with single instance
> storage
> of attachments.
>
> "K. Leonard" <leonard_kathy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've moved a mailbox from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003 and the size has
>> increased 30%. Two folders contained corrupted messages and would not
> allow
>> the mailbox to move. I archived the contents of these two folders and the
>> move was successful and I was able to then import the messages back into
> the
>> mailbox from the PSTs.
>>
>> I really don't think the Import/Export of messages has anything to do
>> with
>> it but the mailbox was 219MB on EX2000 and is now 320MB on EX2003.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> K. Leonard

0
barise (94)

Shared Mailbox Permissions
Hi there, We have a shared mailbox on the exchange server, when we setup permissions on that folder it appears not to be effective. We have setup, default and anonymous permissions/role to 'none' and we have setup our Group to 'reviewer' which only gives read access... but we are still able to move folders around and to delete files. Is there something we are doing wrong ? Any known problems ? We use Exchange 2003 TIA ...

Assign mailbox to another user
Windows Small Business Server 2003 i had an employee recently leave full-time status. i deleted her as a user since she didn't need to recieve email on that account anymore. problem is, she needs a bunch of info in the mailbox since she does a minor amount of consulting for us. how can i at least reattach her mailbox to a user or login so she can retrieve her mail? i tried adding her as a user and using the Reconnect exchange task but it won't show her account when i search for it. TIA! Chris you created a new account and connected the mailbox to that account? it should sh...

Adjusting the size of the receipt
is there anyway to remove the spaces in between the items that are printed on the reciept? for example, there is blank paper at the very top before the receipt prints the header information, then there is a one blank like of space before the items sold information is displayed, then there is the blank space again then the amount tendered and change is shown, then there is a blank like space again then it shows how much a customer saved then a more space then the footer information then more space at the very bottom of the receipt. i understand because it uses XML variables to print the...

Error rsp about merged cells being sized ?
I downloaded my cell phone bill in Excel so I could sort as I wanted. When I tried to do a Data/Sort/Col A, I got the following info/error from my Excel assistance. "The operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized" What should I be doing to unlock the cells so they can be sorted? Thanks ! CTRL + a(twice in 2003) to select all cells. Format>Cells>Alignment. Uncheck the "merge cells" option. I would do this on a copy of the sheet. Don't know what your data will look like once the cells are "unmerged". Gord Dibben MS Excel...

Assiging Tasks via the POP mailboxes under Outlook 2002 & 2003
Hi, We've been trying to assign Tasks to each other (2 people) via POP Mailboxes. The assigning seems fine, but when a TRask is assigned back and forward several times we both end up with multiple Tasks... the most recently Accepted one, plus ealier versions which remain as "Waiting Response from Assignee". What are we missing? ps. I did read in these discussions that we both need to have RTF format selected which we both do have. ...

How do you increase the size of the Junk E-mail Filter list?
I know there is a Registry value you can change to increase the size of the Junk E-mail Filter list used by Exchange Server 2003, but I have not been able to find this info. Is there a Knowledge Base article or can someone help provide details about how I can increase the size of this list? My environment is smail (only a few users), so I am more concerned about how to provide more space in the Junk E-mail Filter list than I am worried about any impact this might have to performance. Thanks for any information that can be provided ... Take care, Dean I am pleased to pass along for...

Mailbox Management not working in Exchange 2000
I have Exchange 2000 with the Post-SP3 hotfix rollup. I also followed KB 326397 and set the value of the msExchMailboxManagerAgeLimit to 3 for the first two polices (tried it first without changing it). Now the situation.... I have 3 mailbox management policies setup. The first one deletes messages older than 365 days out of the: Inbox, sent items, calendar, journal, deleted items, system cleanup folders, all other mail folders. The second one deletes messages older than 30 days from: inbox, sent items, calendar, deleted items, and system cleanup folders. It also deletes items ol...

Putting all outbount mail in particular mailbox
We have several users using Outlook 2003, connected to Exchange 2003. When needed, they use "Send As" (or "From") feature to send outbound mail as particular user (for example sales@domain.com). When they send mail like that, it stays in their Sent Items. Is it possible to put that outbound mail in sales@domain.com mailbox Sent items too so that we can centrally manage all e-mails users sent, not having to inspect each users Sent items? What would be the cleanest way to do this? Thanks, Drazen There's nothing in Exchange that will do that for you, sorry...

migrate mailbox to exch2003
Hi, We currently have NT domain and exchange 5.5 org. We want to migrate the mailbox to Win2003 and Exch2003. I realize I have to use the ADMT tools to do some of the migration. I don't want to have to go to each of the user's workstation to reconfigure the outlook profile to point to the new exchange server. Is there a tool out there to automatically configure the client's outlook profile. Thanks for your help! Natasha, ADMT is one way but I would suggest Move Mailbox method. This requires you upgrade your current NT environment to Windows 2003 AD. Read http://www.mse...

Moving the Exchange System Attendant Mailbox
It seems that there was an Microsoft Knowledge Base article 262892: Moving the Exchange System Attendant Mailbox. This article has been removed from the MS knowledge base. I couldn't find another KB about moving the system attendant mailbox from one store to another. What is the common way to do this in Exchange Server 2003 SP1 ? Thanks for answers MC MC, I was forced to do this recently, and I actually found that KB you're referring to at the following address. Not sure why it's not on MS site at this time. http://www.it-faq.pl/mskb/262/892.HTM Regards, Pete Zerger...

outlook 2000 mailbox.pst error. inbox repair tool
hi all I am getting a error message from outlook 2000 that says errors have been detected in the file c:\windows\application data\microsoft\outlook\mailbox.pst It says to use the inbox repair tool. I have searced microsoft online help and found the site "ol2000 how to find and run the inbox repair tool" I am using ME. I have been looking for "Scanpst.exe" file. Microsoft help says to follow c:\program files\common\system\Mapi\1033\nt I cannnot find a file by this name. I can find a file c:\program files\common\system\Mapi\1033\95 when I run "Scanpst.exe&qu...

Limiting attachment size per user
I have a quick and easy question. If my SMTP virtual server is putting a size limit on outgoing attachments to 4MBs and in Active Directory under Exchange General->Dilivery Restrictions->Outgoing Message Size->Maximin KB-> I give him 10MBs......who wins? And if the gateway always wins, how can I give a user more without making the global change on the Gateway? Thanks, Pete Hey Pete, I think this article pretty well answers your questions: 322679 Set Size Limits for Messages http://support.microsoft.com/?id=322679 Regards, Colby -- Please do not send e-mail directly to t...

Recipient policies don't update mailbox addresses.
Hello, We have a W2K AD, E2K and a third-party mailsystem. The E2K server is not authoritive for our e-mail domain and all the AD accounts which are not mailbox-enabled are mail-enabled. My company has a new email domain and my problem is that I can't get the Recipient Policies to stamp the new address on the mailbox-enabled users. Our E2K server has two Recipient Policies: - the Default policy, filtering on (mailnickname=*), with a primary SMTP address %g.%s@localhost and a secondary smtp address %g.%s@ourdomain.com, with Lowest priority; - a Custom Policy, filtering on (&(mailNick...

Exchange 2003 individual mailbox restoration
The previous administrator created a mailbox associated with one user. I removed the mailbox from the user and wanted to retore or connect if you will the removed mailbox to another user. I thought I could do this using the mailbox recovery center but I am unable to find the mailbox that I removed. I am new to exchange so I just figure I am missing a step somewhere. I know I could recover the mailbox from tape but it still does not solve the problem of moving the box from one user to another. Any help out there? -- Terri Touchton Systems Administrator Cambridge Maryland If you go i...

font size in comments
Excel 2003 all sp and patches loaded OS: Windows XP Can you change the default font size in comments? Thanks, Will Will From Debra Dalgleish.............. You can change the font size of new comments by changing the settings in your Control Panel. (Instructions for Windows XP) Right-click on the desktop, and choose Properties On the Appearance tab, click Advanced. From the Item dropdown, choose Tooltip Choose a font Size, click OK, click OK (Note: selecting a font type here will not affect the default font used in Excel's comments) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 9 Jan...

font sizes for To, From, and Subject text boxes
How do you change the font sizes for these 3 textboxes when composing an email? When you set the fonts under Options->Mail Format, only the font in textarea for the message body gets changed. Thanks, Ernest Correct. That's what that setting is for -- to change the message font. If you want to change the font sizes of other elements, you'd have to design a custom form. In some cases, changing the overall Windows font size might also have an effect. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Dev...

Will failed backup dismount mailbox stores?
Hi all, Recently, our exchange 2003 backup software constantly failed. Will failed exchange backup dismount mailbox stores? (I could not remember where I read about this: in exchange 2000, if the log files reach 1,000, the mailbox store dismounts. what about exchange 2003?) thank you. There's no uppper limit on number of log files (well, there is - because of the way these are numbered, but most organizations never reach that limit). However, failed backups result in log files being accumulated which can quickly fill up the volume on which these reside. When the volume runs ou...

mailbox manger
Hi all Running Exchange 2003 Sp2. I think i have a rough recipient policy, as i get a detailed report emailed to me for a few inboxes, but when i check my recipient policys none of them have mailbox manger settings all recipient policies are for email address stamping only. So why am i getting this report from System attendant mailbox? whats also strange is the report only runs againts 100 mailboxes, i have 400 on my server. I need to know what is generating this to run? Thanks ...

Font Size in Outlook 2003 Too Large
When I open Outlook to compose an email, the font size that is displayed while I'm typing is large, probably at an 18 font size (I am using Word as my editor). When I send the message and then look at it in the sent folder, the font is not enlarged. In the sent folder the font size corresponds to the setting that is shown on the toolbar while I am typing. It seems that the only place that the font is out of whack is on the display. Any suggestions as to how I can correct this? Thanks for your help. You're probably zoomed in. Hold down the CTRL key and roll the wheel o...

Screen sizes are not supporint my program
Hi all, I developed a program in Access, and now I am implementing it I got one PC with 15inch screen my forms are big for that monitor (all command buttons are not showing on the screen) but working good on 17 inch where I developed. Please advise solution which fits all size of screens. Thanks in advance Access does not scall well to difference resolution screens. It's not the size of the monitor that's the problem. Rather it's the screen resolution. See if you can change it by right clicking on the Windows desktop and going to properties. Of course things will look t...

Preview pane HTML text size too small.
How do I increase the text size of HTML messages in the preview pane? For that matter, can I increase the size of everything in general in the preview pane for HTML messages? Thanks. Mike;1255475 Wrote: > How do I increase the text size of HTML messages in the preview pane? > For that matter, can I increase the size of everything in general in > the preview pane for HTML messages? Thanks. 1. Click on "tools" 2. Click on "options" 3. Click on "read" 4. Click on "fonts" -- rhlhamlet On Apr 17, 9:19=A0pm, rhlhamlet &l...

Exchange mailbox size??
ok, someone must have asked before, sorry if this is double post. With the following specs, what is the max mailbox size recommended? Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you! - Windows 2003 SP1 - Exchange 2003 SP2 w/ 25 Users - DL360 3.4G 1 CPU - 4GB RAM - 150GB SCSI U320 mail box size is really up to you. with 25 users odds are you will not max this out for a while. What version of exchange is it standard or enterprise Standard has a 16 GB limit but with SP2 you can change that via a registry entry to 75 GB limit If it is enterprise then you can go pretty big. I usually see...

Font Size
We loaded an anit-virus software on our server - AVG and found a virus. But after removing virus our font size is very small in Dynamics. It had messed up fonts on other programs, but they all corrected after rebooting. I've reloaded Microsoft Dynamics and that didn't work. I've changed the font size on the display properties, which increases fonts everywhere BUT Microsoft Dynamics. Any suggestions? ...

Interactive Web Frame Size
Does anyone know of a way to increase the size of the Excel spreadsheet that is displayed in the web page when a file is saved as a web html and interactive is selected? I would like to be able to see more of the Excel spreadsheet without scrolling within the Excel window. Any ideas? Thanks, Christi ...

Font size changing automatically when sending mail
My employee is sending mails that, although they look fine when creating, once sent, the font size changes automatically on various lines of the e-mail. ...