mailbox permissions question

i have a vip that needs to know that NO ONE has access to hi mailbox except
him. unfortunately mailbox permissions are a tad confusing when you view
them in AD. im afraid that if i remove anything the mailbox wont work
anymore. whats the simplest way to do what i need? could i remove every
person and service from the permissions on his mailbox leaving only him with
full access? probably not, right?

Right.
And it really depends upon how over laden with other processes your exchang
environment is, and at what level the permissions are set.

For example, your backup software account will need access.  If you use
Blackberry Enterprise Servers, or Cisco Unity, or (etc) those service
accounts will need access.  The account that exchange runs under as a
service needs permissions.

In ESM, if you right-click on the ORG object at the very top, and choose
"Delegate Permissions", and click through the first nag screen, you will see
a list of accounts that have been assigned permissions to the exchang
eORganization.  They should be fairly explanitory as to what they are about.
I would not recommend changing or removing any of them unless you know
exactly what they are for, and what it will break if you do remove them.

"Jimmy D" <NOSPAM_jjd228@optonline.net_NOSPAM> wrote in message
>i have a vip that needs to know that NO ONE has access to hi mailbox except
>him. unfortunately mailbox permissions are a tad confusing when you view
>them in AD. im afraid that if i remove anything the mailbox wont work
>anymore. whats the simplest way to do what i need? could i remove every
>person and service from the permissions on his mailbox leaving only him
>with full access? probably not, right?

0
tfelts (292)

Yet another Lotus macro question
I have for the most part converted to Excel but have a simple macro that on the surface cannot be converted. The Lotus macro used a database, template and list of branch names. The macro itself started with the name of the first branch, copied it to the template, sucked in the data for that branch and then printed the report. Then it went down to next name on the list and repeated the process until it reached the bottom of the list. In Excel it seems to indicate I have to repeat the steps for each and every branch on the list and not loop back through a 8 line macro that refers to the ...

a template question about MFC containers' SerializeElements() ...
Hi, I have the following code compiled in both VC++ 6.0 and .net. Is it safe to remove the #if block and simply use the #else block for both 6.0 and .net? Please help. Thanks for any suggestion. JD class CPerson : public CObject { . . . }; CArray< CPerson, CPerson& > personArray; #if _MSC_VER < 1400 template <> void AFXAPI SerializeElements <CPerson> ( CArchive& ar, CPerson* pNewPersons, int nCount ) #else template <CPerson> void AFXAPI SerializeElements ( CArchive& ar, CPerson* pNewPersons, int nCount ) #endif ...

Move Mailbox with source Server Offline
I have moved one of my E5.5 servers from Production into a Test lab to test E5.5 to E2K3 migration scenarios. I imported a full GAL export from Production just to make sure that all Users, Custom Recipients, and Distribution Lists came over OK. Now, however, I have Mailboxes that think they are on servers that don't exist in the lab! I need to find a way (import, vbscript, etc.) that can tell the mailbox that it's Home server is the lab server; even though the Home server it's currently set to doesn't exist in this network. Any ideas? -Rick Adams SORRY! PLEASE D...

Load event question
I found this code along with it's function on this discussion group. It works great but I want it to populate the text field when the form loads. How can I get the following code on the Form_Load()? fOSUserName() is a defined function. Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) On Error GoTo BeforeUpdate_Err ' Set bound controls to system date and time and current user name Me.DateModified = Now() Me.ModifiedBy = fOSUserName() BeforeUpdate_End: Exit Sub BeforeUpdate_Err: MsgBox Err.Description, vbCritical & vbOKOnly, _ &quo...

Question about Pictures in Excel #2
Maybe I should explain more in detail...here is what I have... Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cance As Boolean) Dim testStr As String Dim myFileName As String Dim myPict As Picture Set Target = Target(1) myFileName = "C:\Documents and Settings\ahoekst\My Documents\DirectX _ & "\My Pictures\" _ & Me.Cells(Target.Row, "D").Value _ & ".jpg" testStr = "" On Error Resume Next testStr = Dir(myFileName) On Error GoTo 0 If testStr = "" Then MsgBox "file not found" Exit Su...

Mailbox restore #4
I have an interesting problem. I have recently migrated from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. All the current mailboxes have been successfully migrated from the 5.5 server to the 2003 server but the 5.5 server still exists in the organization. I have suddenly discovered a need to restore a mailbox that was deleted from the 5.5 server prior to the migration. I have only a database backup from the 5.5 server from just prior to when the mailbox was deleted. The 5.5 box is not a domain controller and would need (I think anyway) to be attached to the network in order to start services or manipulate mailboxes....

Deleted Items Retention on Mailbox Store
We have Exchange Server 2003 and have set the Limits under Deletion Settings to keep deleted items for 30 days, but the items are not being deleted. I found under our Server Properties in System Manager, the Mailbox Management Process, but it was set to Never run. Will running this process delete the items older than 30 days, or is it necessary to do something else to have these items be automatically deleted? Thanks, Deleted Items Retention simply means that once you have emptied your Deleted Items Folder, those items are not purged from the database for 30 days. DIR does _not_ manage ...

Directsound Slaving info question
I am developing an analog capture filter driver. There was an AV sync issue after the long time live source playback (>2 hr). The audio pin always queue few buffers after long time playback. I have checked the video and audio PTS with each media transfer sample, they look like no problem. I have a question with Default Directsound Device filter. There is information in Default Directsound Device Properties->Advanced->Slaving Info->Rate. The "Rate" should be 48KHz with my device, but it will be changed with the "High Err" and "Low Err" param...

CCR disk requirements questions
Well this is throwing me off guys. We are planning a CCR environment. We have an EMC scan at our HQ that we plan to connect our primary mailbox server to. Our DR mailbox server is our concern. I was under the impression that the hardware didnt need to be "the same", but beyond that I was under the impression that they didnt even need to be "all that close" on performance. However, reading this doc: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c5a9c0ed-e43e-4bc7-99fe-7d1a9cb967f8.aspx makes it seem like not only does the "passive node" (the server in the DR...

Question regarding Exchange 5.5 and 2003 running at the same time
I recently upgraded my domain from NT 4.0 to 2003 in mix mode. I still have a few BDCs and Exchange 5.5 running with no problems. To prepare for Exchange 2003 install I ran forest prep, domain prep and ADC connector. Can I install Exchange 2003 with Exchange 5.5 running at the same time. What downtime should I expect? What could go wrong?? If anyone has any insight or comments feel free to pass it on. DC There are a bunch of documents and good books available on that subject. Search on the microsoft site for keywords "5.5 migrate 2003" I followed the instructions carefully,...

A real pickle of a design question
Okie, I've been doing Exchange for quite a long time and I've been involved in many deployments. This one is a real curve ball. Let me explain the scenario and if someone could validate my thinking, that would be great. Currently in place: - One domain we'll call 1stdomain.com with an existing Exchange 2003 organization. - Another domain we'll call 2nddomain.com with an existing Exchange 2003 organization. 1stdomain.com is going to be providing connectivity services and other resources to 2nddomain.com in the near future, but 2nddomain.com wishes to retain management of m...

Administrative users don't inherit Active Directory permissions?
Trying to set Active Directory permissions I noticed that the permissions on administrative users don't inherit from their container. Is this by design? Hello Neil, Thanks for your post. Before we go further I would like to confirm what "Administrative users" you refer to? Are you trying to modify certain user/group object permission from ADUC console or ADSIEdit console? Please let us know the detailed situation and symptoms. There are several ways to apply permissions. Microsoft provides two tools: ADSI Edit (AdsiEdit.msc) and DSACLS (Dsacls.exe). Both tools ...

Beginner question #2
Please forgive what might be a beginner question. I have a spread sheet that is made up of 10 columns. I would like to make it so that each time I change a number in these columns, the sub-total at the bottom of each column changes automatically AND so that the sub-total in the far right column changes automatically. Is there a template for this?? Thanks so much!!! You would use a function for that, lets say you have values in A1 to A10, then in A11 place this =SUM(A1:A10), or =A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6+A7+A8+A9+A10. got the idea?? "jenny" <jenny@hotmail.net> skrev i melding ne...

Creating mailboxes via command line.
In Exchange 5.5 I used a CSV import to create mailboxes from a script. Is there an equivalent (or better) functionailty in Exchange 2003? I use dsadd to create the user account on the 2003 AD server but cannot figure out how to create the mailbox. Any ideas are appreciated. I did look on the windows scripting page, but did not see much that was useful. David Eaton David: You can use LDIFDE or CSVDE. Do some research on both. Neither are as friendly as the import/export features of Exchange 5.5. I personally would recommend learning some scripting and using VBS instead. Do a search for ...

Can't move mailbox
My question is similar to "Can't Purge Mailbox". I have one mailbox left to move in a migration from exchange 2000 to 2003, and it will not move. I can move it between 2000 stores and servers but not to exchange 2003. I recieve the following error when I try to move it: - <summary isWarning="false" errorCode="0xc1054005"> The MAPI call failed. MAPI or an unspecified service provider. ID no: 80004005-0000-00000000 There are no corrupted messages, I have checked each one. The mailbox size is under 200mb. This is the only mailbox left to move??? I ...

seeking your questions on RMS items--today!
Hi all, I’m the editor of the Microsoft Business Solutions Community site (www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/community). I wanted to let you know that we’re still taking questions on RMS items for our upcoming Q&A with Jimmy Wong, a Microsoft Software Design Engineer in Test (SDET) who works on the Retail Management System team. It doesn't matter how complex or simple your question/concern. Any topic goes, be it discounts, find, inventory, item types, item lookup, pricing, substitutes, or commission. Jimmy's open to any and all questions. :) So if you’ve got a question ...

Create Exchange 2007 Mailbox
Hi there, is it possible to set the extended properties of a mailbox on Exchange 2007 to make it a full 2007 mailbox rather than a Legacy mailbox? Hello Waldy, Please use the Exchange forum instead this one: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/exchangeserver Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm > Hi there, > is it possib...

question on "include" in schema files (.xsd). Trouble validating schema in .NET
Hi, I hope someone can please help me. I'm having a lot of trouble with schema files in .NET. I have produced a very simple example that uses "include" to include other schema files. It all works with SPY, but when I pick "Validate Schema" from the .NET 2003 menu, it fails with message: "Type XType is not declared." As I hinted at in my subject line, I suspect that it has to do with including another schema multiple times. Can someone tell me how this should be done? Possibly, SPY or .NET do not conform to the standard. Is there a reference somewhere t...

Quick VBA Worksheet Change Event or Selection Question:
Quick VBA Worksheet Change Event or Selection Question: I have a workbook that has a sheet named "Formatted Prices". I enter data starting from row 7 & from column A to S all the way down on a daily basis. This range is not completely filled on a daily basis=85, somedays I might just enter 2 or 3 data only filling 3 rows, but always from column A to S. In column Q, I have a formula that depends on column P=85, it basically a simple calculation formula that says if the data in say P7 is empty, then show nothing, but if the data in P7 is something, then subtract t...

mailbox manager not processing mailboxes? (Ex2003)
Hi there, not sure if my exchange server is processing mailboxes correctly.. The Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Manager has completed processing mailboxes Started at: 2004-01-14 17:13:50 Completed at: 2004-01-14 17:13:50 Mailboxes processed: 0 Messages moved: 0 Size of moved messages: 0.00 KB Deleted messages: 0 Size of ...is the mail I get daily. I get no errors or warnings logged in the eventlog. Has anyone else seen the same thing? I had a quick look on google and on the knowledge base, but could find nothing pertaining to Exchange2003. TIA Dave Did you already create a Mailbox...

orphaned mailbox's in Exchange 2003
For some reason I have about 9 mailbox's that have suddenly become orphaned because their user accounts have been deleted. I have used a utility in the past called killmail that allowed me to disconnect the mailbox's from the user accounts so that I could recreate an account and then reattach the new account to the old mailbox thus allowing the user to keep the mailbox with it's contents. Can anyone tell me how I can get the killmail utility so that I can do this? The same functionality of killmail was built into Exchange 2000 SP2 and beyond. Its called remove Exchange a...

Using Outlook with Hotmail
Hello. I've just started using Outlook 2003, after having owned the disc for a while (I only used office for Word prior to this). I use two hotmail accounts, both of which are installed fine. 1) How can I get an audio alert when new hotmail arrives? Surely if Outlook Express provides one, then the more advanced program should too??? This is a mjor thing for me, as I don't want to have to keep checking constantly to see if I have mail. 2) How do I configure my sent items to stay in the right place - e.g. the hotmail sent items with their relevant accounts, rather than in the un...

Unable to add mailbox
Hi I have created two new users, with mailboxes. All the exchange tabs are visible through active directory in the user's properties. However, I can not send or receive mail for them. I can log into owa as one of them, but they are not receiving mail I send, nor is any mail they send going out. Opening an active directory window on the exchange server, none of these accounts show up. I see mailboxes for one of them in the first admin group (the one who I can log into OWA). All other users are working fine. Any thoughts on the problem? Could it be licensing, I am close to my m...

AllocSysString question
I created a COM interface. STDMETHODIMP CMyObj::GetName(BSTR* bstrName) { // TODO: Add your implementation code here CString strName = "John Master"; *bstrName = strName.AllocSysString(); return S_OK; } My question here is: 1. In the method, I did AllocSysString(). Does this cause a memory leak since I didn't free it ? Does COM runtime handle this ? 2. This method could be called from within VB or C++. Does the caller need to free the memory ? Thanks in advance. >1. In the method, I did AllocSysString(). Does this cause a memory leak >since I didn't fre...

HELP!
I have a user who lost all their contacts, the only problem is I only have a backup of the entire info store and I only what to restore the contacts from one users folders/mailbox. Questions: 1. Is there a way to do this? For future reference: 2. I have started using exmerge to create pst's on indavidual mailboxes about once a week to prevent this in the future, is this the way to go? Thanks for your wisdom. Kind Regards, CW. On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:59:31 -0500, "Christopher C> Welber" <chriswelber@yahoo.com> wrote: >I have a user who lost all their co...