Mailbox permisions

I am trying to change the permissions on a User's mailbox,
and I am unable to do so because it says it is inheriting
permissions from the parent.
From active directory, in the User properties, "Exchange
Advanced" tab, in the "Mailbox Rights" is where I am
trying to edit the permissions.  Can someone tell me where
it is inherating permissions from?
I am running Exchange 2003
Thank you
0
anonymous (74722)

It's inheriting them from the database, which might be inheriting them from
the storage group, which might be inheriting them from...

Use EXCHANGE SYSTEM MANAGER to see and edit these rights.

--
David Sapery
Exchange MVP

"MATTH" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to change the permissions on a User's mailbox,
> and I am unable to do so because it says it is inheriting
> permissions from the parent.
> From active directory, in the User properties, "Exchange
> Advanced" tab, in the "Mailbox Rights" is where I am
> trying to edit the permissions.  Can someone tell me where
> it is inherating permissions from?
> I am running Exchange 2003
> Thank you

0
dsapery (18)
8/13/2004 6:43:49 PM
Can you tell me where in the Exch. Sys. Mgr. to view these
permissions?  I find several dialog boxes with "security"
tabs, but none match the permissions that I am seeing in
the "Mailbox Rights" box, and I don't see where to view
permissions on individual mailboxes besides the AD.
Thank you for your response

0
anonymous (74722)

Moving Severla Mailboxes to one target
Hi, from time to time I need to move several mailboxes from different sources to a common target. (E2K3 to E2K3 in native mode). I would like to use a tool (GUI) where I could simply select the affected mailboxes from the GAL and then right clicking as usual to move. Is anyone aware of a tool that does this task ? -- PIBCAK - Problem is between Chair and Keyboard! If this is from the same AD\Exchange infrastructure: Using, Active Directory Users & Computers Highlight users, right click & select "exchange tasks" in new window select move mailbox task, next etc.... ...

strange mailbox problem
exchange 2003. all users use pst files so really nothing is stored on the server. users are taught that within outlook they shouldnt even expand "Mailbox", but instead only use "Personal Folders". one users mailbox on the server says there are 12,000 objects in it, yet from within outlook on her computer there is clearly nothing in any of the folders under "Mailbox". whats going on here? ...

How to migrate Exchange mailbox in this case?
The headquarter of my company is located in NewYork, and the branch office is located in Denver. Originally, both of the 2 offices have domain controllers, and the Denver office is a child domain of the NewYork domain. But only NewYork has the Exchanger server. So everyone in the Denver office has 2 accouts: one is for the local domain logon, another is in the NewYork, used as their email account. We have built up a Exchange server in Denver office recently, and we are going to migrate all mailboxes of the Denver employees to Denver local Exchange server. But the problem is: these use...

Sharing mailbox stopped working (Outlook 2003)
For one user sharing has stopped working. When right-clicking, the Sharing line is grayed out. In Properties, there is no Permissions tab. When giving me mailbox rights in Exchange, I can set the permissions for him. It has worked before. I'm having a similar problem. Did you find a solution yet? "Ulf Tropp" wrote: > For one user sharing has stopped working. When right-clicking, > the Sharing line is grayed out. In Properties, there is no Permissions > tab. When giving me mailbox rights in Exchange, I can set the > permissions for him. It has worked before. &g...

Removal of original mailbox store
I have been doing some reorganizing of my mailbox stores and would like to remove the original mailbox store that was created during the original installation because I have moved all of the mailboxes to other mailboxe stores. Is there a way to do this? If I can't remove it, is there a way to safely perform an offline defragmentation of the message store. Thanks for any help you can provide. -- Midwest Muskie On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 06:29:05 -0800, "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have been doing some reorganizing of my mailbox stores and would like...

Disabling a mailbox
Is there a way that I can disable the mailbox without deleting it and having to recreate it later? I have two students that email priveledges have been taken away but don't want to delete all their current email Thanks Kristi wrote: > Is there a way that I can disable the mailbox without deleting it and having to recreate it later? I have two students that email priveledges have been taken away but don't want to delete all their current email? > > Thanks kristi, does this mean disableing the user account as well? also what version of xchange are you on? If you are on ...

Is 6GB mailbox insane??
I have a user with 6GB's of Outlook PST's. Now he wants to migrate this data back to his server mailbox! I don't think I've ever worked with a mailbox much over 1GB. Would a mailbox of 6-7GB be practical? Would the performance of Outlook and OST synching actually be acceptible? Actually he wants to use both Outlook 2003 and Entourage 2004 as his fat clients. I'm preparing myself for a bunch of "you're crazy!" replies, but I figured I should ask to see if anyone's ever had any real experiences w/ mailboxes of this size. -Rich p.s. I see that ...

Mailbox authentication problem!! Please HELP!!!
Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 2000. I have a user that has lost the ability to connect to the exchange server through outlook. I can reconfigure the mail support and the user shows up properly when you check the name. The user can login to the domain properly, but the message pops up wanting proper authentication when for the exchange. I can put in the proper username and password, but only the local folders will open up. I have reset the user account through Active Directory, but with no luck. Through exchange I can see the users box with the folder size and number of emails. ...

Emails not showing when viewing others mailbox
I have some users on Outlook 2002, Win XP Pro who. User A has shared out her Inbox to User B; User B can view User A's mailbox by going to File, Open, Other User's Folder. However, User B does not see all emails that User A receives; it's intermittent. User A is receiving all of her email though. User B has all Windows and Office updates. Is there any reason for this to be happening? TIA ...

Mailbox Full - Increase Mailbox Size
When a user's mailbox is full and the storage limits are increased it takes at least 15 minutes for the changes to take effect. After making the change I do go into AD Sites and Services , NTDS Settings and choose "replicate now" between the 2 Domain Controllers. But it still takes too long for the changes to go into effect. Running Exchange 2003 with 2003 AD. Thank-you. On Thu, 12 May 2005 09:08:34 -0400, "Kevin" <emer777@hotmail.com> wrote: >When a user's mailbox is full and the storage limits are increased it takes >at least 15 minutes for t...

Mailbox Manager considerations to delete?
I want to know if the 3 mailbox manager dates that by default are used to delete messages can be change and how much it cost if a patch in necessary for that. thanks, Jay ...

notify myself when single mailbox reaches a size.
I would like to set up this particular mailbox to notify myself when it reaches a specified size. I have read about setting up a recipient policy and using mailbox manager settings to do this. However, my boss already has it setup so that he receives notification weekly for a particular process. I would like just this notification to come to my inbox and not his, while he gets the other notifications he already has setup. Thanks for any help in advance. No native way, perhaps a WMI event subscription. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ------------...

Mailboxes in Croatian
After migrating mailboxes from one Exchange server to another, all foders in migrated mailboxes are now in Croatian language. On the old server migrated mailboxes were on English, and when a new mailbox is created on the new server, folders are also in English. So, the problem occurs only when migrating mailbox from old server to new. Is it possible to revert folders in migrated mailboxes to English? Solved. I started Outlook on client machines with /resetfoldernames switch. "mc" <no@e.mail> wrote in message news:c8s784$f17$1@garrison.globalnet.hr... > After migr...

Clean Up Mailboxes??? ()
We migrated from Small Bus Server a few years back. We now run Win2k seerver and exchange server. In our old system, there was a maintenance wizard that cleaned up boxes, etc from what I remember. Is there such a maintenance tool for exchange? Just thought perhaps going thru the system, allowing it to compact, clean wahtever might make us run smoother. chaz Hi Chaz, This maintenance runs automatically every morning between 1 & 5am. There is also the Mailbox Agent which is ran manually, it purpose it is check associations betweent accounts and mailboxes. To run the cleanup age...

Can a System Mailbox be recreated?
If a system mailbox is deleted is there a way to recreate it? Thanks http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316622 On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:55:01 -0800, "RP" <RP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >If a system mailbox is deleted is there a way to recreate it? > >Thanks ...

Mailbox Password Access
The two users of my computer have separate Outlook mailboxes. Until yesterday, when you open Outlook you get a box with the two user names in it and a place to enter the password for the selected name. Putting in the correct password and clicking ok takes you into that person's mailbox. Yesterday I downloaded and installed about 27 patches for Windows XP because of security concerns. That all seemed to go well. However, today when you open Outlook you are immediately taken into whichever of the two mailboxes was open when you last exited the program with no password required. The box with...

AD_UserAccount/Mailbox hiding from GAL
Hello folks, is it possible to hide the Active Directory User Account/Mailbox from the Exchange 2003 Global Address List, like I used to do in Exchange 5.5? I have disabled an user account but his name still shows up in GAL. Regards. User's properties | Exchange Advanced | Hide from Exchange address lists. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Cody" <none> wrote in message news:%23b060gv3FHA.3244@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello folks, is it possible to hide the Active Directory User &...

Exchange 2003 Mailbox Manager skipping mailbox
Hi, We had migrated 800 mailboxes from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 for our site (Site A). Our Exchange 5.5 servers are still around and there are still other Exchange 5.5 sites within the Org; therefore we are still in mixed mode. We have enabled Mailbox Manager settings on the Recipient Policy for Site A. The Mailbox Manger works pretty well for a week but for the past 3 days, it did not. Instead of processing all the 800 mailboxes, it only processed 45, 122 and 5 mailboxes for the last 3 days respectively. I tries manually runing the mailbox manager but still no luck. I enable...

Copying a users mailbox to another user
We believe there is a user that is using email inapporpriately. Can we copy everything in there mailbox to another user account. We did add the function where all emails incoming and outgoing go to an account but we need emails back at the first of the year and we just started this. We are running win2000 with exchange 2000. If the mails have not been deleted and are still in the mailbox, you can use Exmerge to make a copy of the mailbox. "Andre" <Andre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA1C74BC-79BF-4283-AD73-85A6FC1459E2@microsoft.com... > We beli...

Removing the first "Mailbox Store"
Is there a Q article regarding removal of the first Mailbox Store? I rememebered that this was possible and took a little tinkering to transfer the SA mailbox to another mailbox store. I would like to remove the first mailbox store from the server and leave the three new ones up. If you can help or offer suggestions, that would be great! Thanks, Bob Found the answer... it contains some config information that needs to be moved. Thus, I renamed it. Bob "Bob Christian" <BobChristian@removethis.gmail.com> wrote in message news:OMlBZCzjEHA.4068@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >...

Moving 5.5 mailboxes from one server to another
Can any kind person out there tell me a quick way to move mailboxes? I can only do it one at a time, I think, is that correct? TIA Steve You can hold down the shift key and select multiple mailboxes to move to the second server. For reference here is an article on best practices when moving mailboxes between servers. The thing to pay special note to is the number of transaction logs created during the move. Be sure you have disk space to accomodate this or per the article you would want to TEMPORARILY enable circular logging during the move. After the move you will want to disable this...

Scripting Resource Mailbox Permissions
Has anyone ever scripted the permissioning for delegates to specific folders users have rights to in Exchange 200X? What I'm looking to do is create a script that will autocreate mailbox enabled Resource accounts in Active Directory. The next step would be specify the mailbox as a Resource account, then to ACL the folders within the mailbox, i.e. Calendar, etc. The part I'm lost in is the ability to script the folder level ACLs in a user mailbox for Exchange. Has this been done before or am I stuck having to manually ACL each folder? Thanks, Chris ...

one mailbox sending NDR, but message is being delivered
Clever People! Any chance you can help me on this, I have an XCHG2k3 Server with 5 mailboxes, all connect to POP3. One of the exchange mailboxes is sending a mailbox unknown (5.1.1) error to the sender, but is still delivering the message to the client inbox. This occurs for internal and external sources. The NDR is as follows: ********************* Reporting-MTA: dns;company.ltd.uk Received-From-MTA: dns;company.ltd.uk Arrival-Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:03:42 +0000 Final-Recipient: rfc822;firstname.surname@COMPANY.LTD.UK Action: failed Status: 5.1.1 ********************** Any ideas? Kat ...

mailbox access
Hello! We have a problem with some users after a Exmerge of their mailbox. Here the result: 80% of mailbox work very well (outlook, Web access, sending mail) 10% of mailbox are not able to reach their mail by using Outlook (error message = you do not have the sufficient permissions to reach your box), but are able to reach their mails by using Web Access??? 10% reach their mails with Outlook, but when they send email, the messages stay in our folder. The whole of these mailbox are on the same server, in different store. The 20% in error are found in store where others mailbox work very we...

ESA Crashes during mailbox cleanup operation
We have an exchange 2003 enterprise server, and lately it's been exhibiting some strange behavior - when we try and run the mailbox cleanup process (which is just set to purge any items older than 30 days in the deleted items folder for all users) the Exchange Service Agent terminates (and gets restarted). Here's the log entry for that part: The Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service. We've upped the logging on the ESA to maximum,...