Mailbox manager settings #2

Hi all

running exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. I have a user that gets a ton of
email from our website registration forms. I would like to create a mailbox
settings policy that deletes email in this users folder based on the age of
the emails in he folder. The probelm that i am running into with this is the
folder that holds all these  emails is a sub folder of the Inbox folder i.e
inbox\test\stuff\websiteregistration.

How can i setup this policy so that it looks at the websiteregistration
folder *only* and then delets the items in this fodler based on age?

Also whats the proper way to apply this policy to a single user? should i
use a custom attribute and then do a search on the attribute?

Thanks for any help
0
Skipster (152)

Hi there,

What you might consider is setting up a mail enabled public folder which you
can give this user rights to. You can apply management policy to public
folders.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Skipster" <Skipster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> running exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. I have a user that gets a ton
of
> email from our website registration forms. I would like to create a
mailbox
> settings policy that deletes email in this users folder based on the age
of
> the emails in he folder. The probelm that i am running into with this is
the
> folder that holds all these  emails is a sub folder of the Inbox folder
i.e
> inbox\test\stuff\websiteregistration.
>
> How can i setup this policy so that it looks at the websiteregistration
> folder *only* and then delets the items in this fodler based on age?
>
> Also whats the proper way to apply this policy to a single user? should i
> use a custom attribute and then do a search on the attribute?
>
> Thanks for any help

0
desmondb (156)
12/7/2004 10:59:59 PM
Thansk for the help, but I want to do this to the users inbox not a pub
folder. Again all i want to know is how do i tell the mailbox manager to
delete items in a subfolder of the users inbox i.e
inbox/test/folderiwanttodeletemailfrom

Thanks again

Skip

"Skipster" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> running exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. I have a user that gets a ton of
> email from our website registration forms. I would like to create a mailbox
> settings policy that deletes email in this users folder based on the age of
> the emails in he folder. The probelm that i am running into with this is the
> folder that holds all these  emails is a sub folder of the Inbox folder i.e
> inbox\test\stuff\websiteregistration.
>
> How can i setup this policy so that it looks at the websiteregistration
> folder *only* and then delets the items in this fodler based on age?
>
> Also whats the proper way to apply this policy to a single user? should i
> use a custom attribute and then do a search on the attribute?
>
> Thanks for any help
0
Skipster (152)
12/7/2004 11:11:05 PM
I don't know of a way to do this, hence I recommended hte PF.

> Thansk for the help, but I want to do this to the users inbox not a pub
> folder. Again all i want to know is how do i tell the mailbox manager to
> delete items in a subfolder of the users inbox i.e
> inbox/test/folderiwanttodeletemailfrom
>
> Thanks again
>
> Skip
>
> "Skipster" wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > running exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. I have a user that gets a ton
of
> > email from our website registration forms. I would like to create a
mailbox
> > settings policy that deletes email in this users folder based on the age
of
> > the emails in he folder. The probelm that i am running into with this is
the
> > folder that holds all these  emails is a sub folder of the Inbox folder
i.e
> > inbox\test\stuff\websiteregistration.
> >
> > How can i setup this policy so that it looks at the websiteregistration
> > folder *only* and then delets the items in this fodler based on age?
> >
> > Also whats the proper way to apply this policy to a single user? should
> > use a custom attribute and then do a search on the attribute?
> >
> > Thanks for any help

0
desmondb (156)
12/8/2004 11:13:58 PM
There is way, as i have done this before, its been a while but it worked and
If i remember coreclty you had to tell the mail box manager in the policy
that the folder whose contents you wanted deleted based on time was something
similar to this

inbox\test\test1\nameoffolderiwanttodeletitemsfrom

Again it does work, i jsut cant remember how i did it

"Brian Desmond [MVP]" wrote:

> I don't know of a way to do this, hence I recommended hte PF.

> Brian Desmond
> Windows Server MVP
> desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
>
> Http://www.briandesmond.com
>

> "Skipster" <Skipster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thansk for the help, but I want to do this to the users inbox not a pub
> > folder. Again all i want to know is how do i tell the mailbox manager to
> > delete items in a subfolder of the users inbox i.e
> > inbox/test/folderiwanttodeletemailfrom
> >
> > Thanks again
> >
> > Skip
> >
> > "Skipster" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > running exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. I have a user that gets a ton
> of
> > > email from our website registration forms. I would like to create a
> mailbox
> > > settings policy that deletes email in this users folder based on the age
> of
> > > the emails in he folder. The probelm that i am running into with this is
> the
> > > folder that holds all these  emails is a sub folder of the Inbox folder
> i.e
> > > inbox\test\stuff\websiteregistration.
> > >
> > > How can i setup this policy so that it looks at the websiteregistration
> > > folder *only* and then delets the items in this fodler based on age?
> > >
> > > Also whats the proper way to apply this policy to a single user? should
> > > use a custom attribute and then do a search on the attribute?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help

0
Skipster (152)
12/8/2004 11:33:03 PM
Did you ever get the details on how to do this? I'm desperate to do the same
sort of thing on selective users but can't figure that part out? I'm using
EX2000.

Thanks
John

"Skipster" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> running exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. I have a user that gets a ton of
> email from our website registration forms. I would like to create a mailbox
> settings policy that deletes email in this users folder based on the age of
> the emails in he folder. The probelm that i am running into with this is the
> folder that holds all these  emails is a sub folder of the Inbox folder i.e
> inbox\test\stuff\websiteregistration.
>
> How can i setup this policy so that it looks at the websiteregistration
> folder *only* and then delets the items in this fodler based on age?
>
> Also whats the proper way to apply this policy to a single user? should i
> use a custom attribute and then do a search on the attribute?
>
> Thanks for any help
0
jch (16)
2/3/2005 3:15:05 PM
No as i have not done anymore research on this, but i know that what i am
wanting to do works, as i have done this before with exchange 2000, so i know
it works

"jch" wrote:

> Did you ever get the details on how to do this? I'm desperate to do the same
> sort of thing on selective users but can't figure that part out? I'm using
> EX2000.
>
> Thanks
> John
>

> "Skipster" wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > running exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. I have a user that gets a ton of
> > email from our website registration forms. I would like to create a mailbox
> > settings policy that deletes email in this users folder based on the age of
> > the emails in he folder. The probelm that i am running into with this is the
> > folder that holds all these  emails is a sub folder of the Inbox folder i.e
> > inbox\test\stuff\websiteregistration.
> >
> > How can i setup this policy so that it looks at the websiteregistration
> > folder *only* and then delets the items in this fodler based on age?
> >
> > Also whats the proper way to apply this policy to a single user? should i
> > use a custom attribute and then do a search on the attribute?
> >
> > Thanks for any help
0
Skipster (152)
2/3/2005 3:25:03 PM
It sounds to me like what you need to do is create a Mailbox Manager policy,
modify the filter so that it only applies to this one user, then under the
folders, add the new folder you want to be managed and uncheck all other
folders except that one.  Under the "when processing", set it first to
generate a report only.  That will tell you if it is going to work or not.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"jch" <jch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Did you ever get the details on how to do this? I'm desperate to do the
> same
> sort of thing on selective users but can't figure that part out? I'm using
> EX2000.
>
> Thanks
> John
>

> "Skipster" wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> running exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. I have a user that gets a ton
>> of
>> email from our website registration forms. I would like to create a
>> mailbox
>> settings policy that deletes email in this users folder based on the age
>> of
>> the emails in he folder. The probelm that i am running into with this is
>> the
>> folder that holds all these  emails is a sub folder of the Inbox folder
>> i.e
>> inbox\test\stuff\websiteregistration.
>>
>> How can i setup this policy so that it looks at the websiteregistration
>> folder *only* and then delets the items in this fodler based on age?
>>
>> Also whats the proper way to apply this policy to a single user? should i
>> use a custom attribute and then do a search on the attribute?
>>
>> Thanks for any help

0
Ben
2/3/2005 7:20:58 PM
I would go to the properties of the subfolder in Outlook and set AutoArchive
to move old items to a .pst file.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> It sounds to me like what you need to do is create a Mailbox Manager policy,
> modify the filter so that it only applies to this one user, then under the
> folders, add the new folder you want to be managed and uncheck all other
> folders except that one.  Under the "when processing", set it first to
> generate a report only.  That will tell you if it is going to work or not.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "jch" <jch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Did you ever get the details on how to do this? I'm desperate to do the
> > same
> > sort of thing on selective users but can't figure that part out? I'm using
> > EX2000.
> >
> > Thanks
> > John
> >

> > "Skipster" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> running exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. I have a user that gets a ton
> >> of
> >> email from our website registration forms. I would like to create a
> >> mailbox
> >> settings policy that deletes email in this users folder based on the age
> >> of
> >> the emails in he folder. The probelm that i am running into with this is
> >> the
> >> folder that holds all these  emails is a sub folder of the Inbox folder
> >> i.e
> >> inbox\test\stuff\websiteregistration.
> >>
> >> How can i setup this policy so that it looks at the websiteregistration
> >> folder *only* and then delets the items in this fodler based on age?
> >>
> >> Also whats the proper way to apply this policy to a single user? should i
> >> use a custom attribute and then do a search on the attribute?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help

0
MarieW (6)

Recipient Policy help #2
Our default recipient policy is companyname.local. We have 10 other recipient policy’s for each site within our company – they all have separate smtp addresses. The postmaster uses the default recipient policy smtp address companyname.local to send out ndr’s etc. but the address companyname.local is not allowed out of our firewall and it wont be allowed. We can create a new address to add as the default recipient policy which is unique and is allowed through the firewall. Please let me know if this is ok and what I should look out for??? So I am a little confused about what you are as...

Problems with creating a newsletter

Meeting updates #2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Settings Button (administrator features) Missing in Web Brower Cli
The Settings option in the web Browser client is missing on one machine but not on others. I deleted the cookies and restarted the browser and the Setting Button appears. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to correct the problem without deleting all cookies? Mark Nabors Hi Mark, I have noticed this too. It is very frustrating. I have read a post that says that this is a conflict between the web client and the outlook client. I think that the outlook client creates the cookie so that settings does not appear in the web client and not the outlook client. Supposedly this woul...

printing 2 charts on single page

.pdf save as settings

Web query timeout setting.

Offline folder problems #2