Mailbox item restore from Veritas causes rules to not auto execute any more.

Here is our setup.
Windows 2003 SP1
Exchange 2003 SP2
AD native
Veritas Backup Exec 10.1
Outlook 2003 SP2

We did a restore of some inbox items for a user and since that time, all
inbox rules no longer execute automatically. They do however work properly
if I manually run them.

By the way, these are server side rules NOT client.

These are the things I have tried so far:
1. Manually delete the rules and recreate them. - No success.
2. Try to restore again. (maybe the first restore missed something?)  - No
success.
3. Run Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to verify that the rules are
completely gone. Then recreated the rules.  - No success.
4. Tried accessing the mailbox from different computers. (This rules out the
local Outlook install having problems)

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Andy

Andy,

You can also try to clean the server rules by running  Outlook.exe
/cleanserverrules as /cleanrules only clears the rules on the Outlook client.

Regards,
Mark Angell

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:30:02 -0700, mangell@v-concepts.com
<mangellvconceptscom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Andy,
>
>You can also try to clean the server rules by running  Outlook.exe
>/cleanserverrules as /cleanrules only clears the rules on the Outlook client.

Actually, cleanrules is supposed to clean both client and server based
rules.

/cleanclientrules is Client rule specific

>Regards,
>Mark Angell
>
>"Andy Davidson" wrote:
>
>> Here is our setup.
>> Windows 2003 SP1
>> Exchange 2003 SP2
>> AD native
>> Veritas Backup Exec 10.1
>> Outlook 2003 SP2
>>

>> We did a restore of some inbox items for a user and since that time, all
>> inbox rules no longer execute automatically. They do however work properly
>> if I manually run them.
>>
>> By the way, these are server side rules NOT client.
>>
>> These are the things I have tried so far:
>> 1. Manually delete the rules and recreate them. - No success.
>> 2. Try to restore again. (maybe the first restore missed something?)  - No
>> success.
>> 3. Run Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to verify that the rules are
>> completely gone. Then recreated the rules.  - No success.
>> 4. Tried accessing the mailbox from different computers. (This rules out the
>> local Outlook install having problems)
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your replies.
>> Andy

0
adavid (8731)
6/26/2006 8:34:21 PM
Andy David..You are correct.  If the /cleanserverrules switch does not help
the situation, you can use Outlookspy to see if the rules are actually loaded
on the individual mailbox.  Also know that it can take sometime for server
rules to apply successfully.

In Outlook Spy, if you use  IMAPIFolder, go to PR_Rules_Table to see if your
rules are being saved successfully.  Also, you can see if the rule state is
enabled.

Regards,
Mark Angell

"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 13:30:02 -0700, mangell@v-concepts.com
> <mangellvconceptscom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Andy,
> >
> >You can also try to clean the server rules by running  Outlook.exe
> >/cleanserverrules as /cleanrules only clears the rules on the Outlook client.
>
> Actually, cleanrules is supposed to clean both client and server based
> rules.
>
> /cleanclientrules is Client rule specific
>

> >Regards,
> >Mark Angell
> >
> >"Andy Davidson" wrote:
> >
> >> Here is our setup.
> >> Windows 2003 SP1
> >> Exchange 2003 SP2
> >> AD native
> >> Veritas Backup Exec 10.1
> >> Outlook 2003 SP2
> >>

> >> We did a restore of some inbox items for a user and since that time, all
> >> inbox rules no longer execute automatically. They do however work properly
> >> if I manually run them.
> >>
> >> By the way, these are server side rules NOT client.
> >>
> >> These are the things I have tried so far:
> >> 1. Manually delete the rules and recreate them. - No success.
> >> 2. Try to restore again. (maybe the first restore missed something?)  - No
> >> success.
> >> 3. Run Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to verify that the rules are
> >> completely gone. Then recreated the rules.  - No success.
> >> 4. Tried accessing the mailbox from different computers. (This rules out the
> >> local Outlook install having problems)
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for your replies.
> >> Andy

Thanks for the replies.
I tried the /cleanserverrules. It removed my rules again so I recreated
them. I then tried a test and it still only works if the rules are run
manually.

I will look into OutlookSpy and let you know what I find.

Thanks again
Andy

"Andy Davidson" <andrew_davidson@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Here is our setup.
> Windows 2003 SP1
> Exchange 2003 SP2
> AD native
> Veritas Backup Exec 10.1
> Outlook 2003 SP2
>

> We did a restore of some inbox items for a user and since that time, all
> inbox rules no longer execute automatically. They do however work properly
> if I manually run them.
>
> By the way, these are server side rules NOT client.
>
> These are the things I have tried so far:
> 1. Manually delete the rules and recreate them. - No success.
> 2. Try to restore again. (maybe the first restore missed something?)  - No
> success.
> 3. Run Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to verify that the rules are
> completely gone. Then recreated the rules.  - No success.
> 4. Tried accessing the mailbox from different computers. (This rules out
> the local Outlook install having problems)
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies.
> Andy

OK,

I installed OutlookSpy and my Rules Status is set to 1 for enabled.

It does look like the rules are being saved on the server.

Any other ideas?

Andy

"Andy Davidson" <andrew_davidson@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Here is our setup.
> Windows 2003 SP1
> Exchange 2003 SP2
> AD native
> Veritas Backup Exec 10.1
> Outlook 2003 SP2
>

> We did a restore of some inbox items for a user and since that time, all
> inbox rules no longer execute automatically. They do however work properly
> if I manually run them.
>
> By the way, these are server side rules NOT client.
>
> These are the things I have tried so far:
> 1. Manually delete the rules and recreate them. - No success.
> 2. Try to restore again. (maybe the first restore missed something?)  - No
> success.
> 3. Run Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to verify that the rules are
> completely gone. Then recreated the rules.  - No success.
> 4. Tried accessing the mailbox from different computers. (This rules out
> the local Outlook install having problems)
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies.
> Andy

OK Andy that is good.  Are you seeing any events in the event log on the
Exchange server when this event is supposed to trigger?  Also can you give me
an idea what type of server rule you are creating?

Regards,
Mark Angell

"Andy Davidson" wrote:

> OK,
>
> I installed OutlookSpy and my Rules Status is set to 1 for enabled.
>
> It does look like the rules are being saved on the server.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Andy
>

> "Andy Davidson" <andrew_davidson@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Here is our setup.
> > Windows 2003 SP1
> > Exchange 2003 SP2
> > AD native
> > Veritas Backup Exec 10.1
> > Outlook 2003 SP2
> >

> > We did a restore of some inbox items for a user and since that time, all
> > inbox rules no longer execute automatically. They do however work properly
> > if I manually run them.
> >
> > By the way, these are server side rules NOT client.
> >
> > These are the things I have tried so far:
> > 1. Manually delete the rules and recreate them. - No success.
> > 2. Try to restore again. (maybe the first restore missed something?)  - No
> > success.
> > 3. Run Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to verify that the rules are
> > completely gone. Then recreated the rules.  - No success.
> > 4. Tried accessing the mailbox from different computers. (This rules out
> > the local Outlook install having problems)
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your replies.
> > Andy

I don't see any related errors in the System, Application, or Security areas
of the Event Viewer.

I have tried a couple of different types.

1. All incoming mail with a subject containing "some words", move to a
subfolder of inbox.

2. All incoming mail from user@domain.com , move to a subfolder.

The rules do work if run manually from any of the machines I have accessed
Outlook 2003 from.

Andy

wrote in message news:E9493842-7F65-409A-A8E1-0CF14D745B6B@microsoft.com...
> OK Andy that is good.  Are you seeing any events in the event log on the
> Exchange server when this event is supposed to trigger?  Also can you give
> me
> an idea what type of server rule you are creating?
>
> Regards,
> Mark Angell
>
> "Andy Davidson" wrote:
>
>> OK,
>>
>> I installed OutlookSpy and my Rules Status is set to 1 for enabled.
>>
>> It does look like the rules are being saved on the server.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> Andy

OK.

I'm not quite sure why but my rules started working yesterday evening.

These are the additional things I tried:
1. I was working on a OWA - ActiveSync issue and while doing so, I disabled
Forms Based Authentication.
2. I also ran the Mailbox Management Process.

I don't think either of these should have been related to the rules problem
but they must have.

Thank you for your help everyone.

Andy

"Andy Davidson" <andrew_davidson@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Here is our setup.
> Windows 2003 SP1
> Exchange 2003 SP2
> AD native
> Veritas Backup Exec 10.1
> Outlook 2003 SP2
>

> We did a restore of some inbox items for a user and since that time, all
> inbox rules no longer execute automatically. They do however work properly
> if I manually run them.
>
> By the way, these are server side rules NOT client.
>
> These are the things I have tried so far:
> 1. Manually delete the rules and recreate them. - No success.
> 2. Try to restore again. (maybe the first restore missed something?)  - No
> success.
> 3. Run Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to verify that the rules are
> completely gone. Then recreated the rules.  - No success.
> 4. Tried accessing the mailbox from different computers. (This rules out
> the local Outlook install having problems)
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies.
> Andy

Business Portal - Executive
Hi, Does any one have any idea to fix Total Expenses Query - web part under Executive tab of the business portal to display selected company result instead of only Fabricam's data always irrespective of the company selection. Thanks You can select the company. Go to Site actions - Edit the page, then Edit the query, then on the Modify Query window go to the Options tab and select the company there. "Naseer Farooqi" wrote: > Hi, > > Does any one have any idea to fix Total Expenses Query - web part under > Executive tab of the business ...

Outlook Contacts: 1 item out of sync
I'm just now getting down to organising my contacts, and learning how to use the Contacts app. I have about 20 contacts set up and they appear in both Outlook 2002 Contacts and on my Pocket PC (in both the built-in Contacts app and in the Pocket Informant version). All except just one entry, which persists in Outlook despite having been deleted on my PPC. I can see nothing distinctive about it. Is there some likely explanation I've missed please? Obviously, my next step will be to delete it directly from Outlook, but I'm curious to know why it's not syncing. Meanwhile I've...

Auto-Archive is not working
Can I control the activate time of the auto-archive? I want to auto-archive my mailbox's folders into different archive files, how can I do it? thanks! best regards, CM ...

Mailbox moves to Ex2003 don't remove 5.5 mailbox
I have moved several hundred mailboxes from an Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows 2000 to an Exchange 2003 SP1 server running on Windows 2003 without any issues. However, lately I have moved two mailboxes (seperately) and have run into a problem. The Move Mailbox wizard shows a successful move and the mailbox does appear in the Exchange 2003 server, but the mailbox also appears in the Exchange 5.5 server. So, there are two mailboxes for a single account. I have reviewed article 299473 which seems to describe what is happening (although I have not used Replmon.exe to confirm this...

Duplication of Item on Sales Receipt.
Has anyone experienced this...and have a solution for it: Staff scan in customer purchase of an item. Screen shows the amount due Staff receives payment, as shown on screen. Sales Receipt is produced. The receipt shows the item twice, and the price increase to reflect this duplication. This also relieves our inventory of an item that has not been sold. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks marwat This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_01B3_01C6D8B2.8B1DC480 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quote...

Exchange 2000
Hello, Does anybody know of search tool that can perform the following: 1. Search the Mailbox store directly, i.e., M: 2. We are interesting in search for From, To, Subject and Body and if possible attachment contents. 3. We would like to do one pass on the information store so we wish to be able to build a multiople search query, i.e., a) Search for "John" b) Search for person@domain.com c) Search for "HELLO" d) etc... 4. We would like to then be able to copy our findings to a folder or something.... It seems that the built in searchin...

HOw do I get my sent items to appear on the day that I send them
How do I get my sent items to appear on the day that I send them. How do they appear now? Are you filtering your view of your Sent Items folder? -- Kathleen Orland "celeste" <celeste@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A277EB9-348B-4504-9B06-EB552DA44362@microsoft.com... > How do I get my sent items to appear on the day that I send them. > ...

I need to auto insert names in outlook address bar
I have outlook. I would like to have the address inserted after I type a few letters. I know this features exists, but I cannot for the life of me figure this one out. Please help. thanx for any assistance. think peace, max This feature only exists in Outlook 2002 and higher. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza http://www.cardozasolutions.com "max" <max@dis...

Display only duplicate values and delete UNIQUE Items
All I have a very large list of data and on a monthly basis i need to display only the duplicate items in a spreadsheet. I would like to do this in VBA and then run it as a macro on the spreadsheet. Alot of the sites that i have seen only show how to removed the duplicates. Excel 2007 has a function which removed all duplicates but so far i have found nothing that only displays the duplciates.... any ideas anyone? Assuming that the field you use to determine uniqueness is column A, you can put this formula in a helper column: =3DIF(COUNTIF(A:A,A2)>1,"Duplicate","Unique&...

Outlook 2003 changing global auto archive settings?
Outlook offers to Run Auto Archive every days. It allows you to run it more frequently, but I would like to run it less frequently. In other words, I would like to run it every 120 days and then archive the bottom four months. It doesn't seem that you can change the auto archive setting above 60 days. Is there a way to do this? I have the box checked to ask me before auto archiving - but if I say no, will it continue to ask? Or, will it never ask again? Essentially I would like to archive every 4 months and not more frequently - and I would like to archive my inbox and my se...

Importing Vendor/Supplier Items
Is anybody successfully importing their supplier/vendor purchase order items into RMS SO 2.0? We would like to import all the item information from a PO that we have ordered on a vendors web site or spreadsheet (including item descriptions, UPC codes (and set these as our ILCs) pricing etc), so we don't have to manually enter this. I can see a lot of potential problems (existing items versus new items, existing cost versus new cost, different layouts for different suppliers) so any feed back would be appreciated. Is anybody using any add-on modules to accomplish this? If so how do...

Rules don't work automatically anymore
OL '03 My rules don't run anymore. I have to run them manually. I know there's a known problem as far as not running when you first start OL up, but even when its been running, they don't seem to be working. If I go in manually and run a particular rule, though, it works. Any ideas? Thanks. Ken Ken Isaacson <No Spam> wrote: > My rules don't run anymore. I have to run them manually. I know > there's a known problem as far as not running when you first start OL > up, but even when its been running, they don't seem to be working. > If I g...

move Mailbox #7
Move Mail Box fails becasue of having lot of courrtion in mailbox. but mailbox opens sucessfully in outlook and i can read all the emails from outlook. Hi, The mailbox move manager will give you a report (you have to check this before you hit 'finish'). It will show tell you the corrupt items in the mailbox - their subject and location. You can then get the user to delete them, before re-running the move. Alternatively you can just set your corrupt item count to be the 'same +1' as the total number of corrupt messages in the mailbox. If the user can open and read...

System Restore all off, still creating restore points on 2nd parti
Although we have System Restore turned off on all drives, restore points are still being created on the secondary partitions. The OS partiton is drive C, NTFS. The secondary partition is drive D, FAT32. The restore points are being created when applications (i.e. DirectX, WinDVD, etc.) are installed from the second partition (drive D). We must install these from a secondary partition. What are we missing? These restore points are filling up our drives. Also, I thought System Restore wouldn't work on FAT32 drives? Thanks, -- Bill Baker Bill, I use two drives b...

How do I set up auto complete from a drop down list in Excel 2000.
I have a 10 sheet workbook that I will be sending out to various users around the world. For their convenience, we are adding a lot of drop down lists for them to choose from. However, since there are many options to choose from in each list we would like for it to auto complete based on their initial entries: Ed -> list to jump to Edinburgh, etc.... I have enabled the AutoComplete in the cell values button in the Tools/Options/Edit tab, but it is still not working. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Hi not possible for the data validation listboxes --...

SFO causes High CPU utilization on SQL server
This recently started happening, and I am not sure why. I loaded SFO on two new laptops and attempted to go offline with each. The SQL Server is also the same server running CRM 1.2. When the synch starts on the client the SQL/CRM server instantly spikes to 100% and stays that way as the SFO client never finishes the synch process. Any ideas on a setting that might need to be changed or a patch, etc? Regards, Sean have you applied the outlook sfo client performance update which is available on support.microsoft.com/downloads? -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq...

-ERR mailbox could not be opened
Windows 7 Ultimate x64; Windows Live Mail Client; all updates applied. Have 1 'Hotmail' & 2 'Live' accounts, all set up in WLM using pop3.live.com / smtp.live.com settings. Been working fine up until yesterday. One of the 'Live' accounts will not sync anymore. Error message as follows (account name masked out): --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Unable to send or receive messages for the Live (*************) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive message...

Avg. Mailbox size for Mid-size company
I am tasked to find the average mailbox size of a general Exchange end-user in a mid-size company that is equivalent to one that I work for: 700 to 800 employees with approx. 550 to 600 email accounts. We are trying to come up with a policy to “encourage” people start cleaning out and deleting unimportant items and archiving the important ones from their inbox and sent items box. Since implementing Exchange 2000 (which was migrated from Groupwise), our storage has grown exponentially in the last two years! We have people that have not cleaned out their inbox in the last five years, ...

spying/monitoring mailbox's
Hi everyone, I was trying to log outgoing mail from all users, and what I did was the following: Open up the administrator console. Goto Exchange > Administrative Groups > First Administrative Group > System Policies Right click > new. tick general Give it a name, click on General (Policy), tick 'archive all messages sent...." Give it a location. ------------------------- Now I have done that, and selected a location as a mailbox. But how do I view it ?? I tried using OWA, but couldn't find anything there at all. I'm not sure if the steps I followed we...

Create a new restore point
How does one create a new restore point in both Vista and Win7? When I go to Accessories-->System Tools-->Restore all I get is how to restore from a previous one. That's not what I want. I want to create a restore point. OldEd On 3/9/2010 5:14 PM, OldManEd wrote: > How does one create a new restore point in both Vista and Win7? When I > go to Accessories-->System Tools-->Restore all I get is how to restore > from a previous one. That's not what I want. I want to create a restore > point. > OldEd Click "Computer" in start menu th...

Exchange Mailbox Hanging During Operation
Hello, I have an issue with one mailbox on my Exchange 2003 server. The problem is basically just slowness and hanging during normal use. When the user tries to open, compose, look at calander etc...she gets an hourglass and the app will stop responding. No one else is having this problem. Also, we only have one Exchange server in the company. I tried creating her a new profile on a new PC and still have the problem there. Is the data store corrupt? Is the mailbox corrupt, or are the emails corrputed causing this problem? Is there a repair I can run on one mailbox if this is the case? ...

restore .ost file created in different exchange profile
Does anybody know how to restore email and other data from an .ost file created by a different user in a different domain name, please? OST files are linked to the mailbox/profile for which they were created. If you've got an orphaned one, you can't open it - you will need to google OST2PST (an old utility that may still be floating around) and try to run it against the file (make a backup copy first). Or see www.exchangerecovery.com - I know it works, but it's $$$. hughie wrote: > Does anybody know how to restore email and other data from > an .ost file created by a di...

Executable information
Hello, I have the following problem - I would like to gather information of my MFC executable. Normally one creates the company info, version number, etc. in the string table in resources. I do not know how to obtain the information. Say I write a little scanner which for every exe in a given directory obtains the information I can usually see in explorer. Thank you for help, Pshemek GetFileVersionInfo, and go to the "See also" on Version Information Overview to discover all the related APIs. Then use CFileFind and write a recursive program to find all the .exe files. joe ...

Moving large mailbox over slow link
I have a some exchange boxes connected by slow links, I have to move some mailboxes that are large and the links aren't that reliable and drop off so the mailbox move fails, and unfortunately it don't resume (boy that would be a nice feature). So I'm thinking about setting up a temp exchange box, bring it physically to location A, move the boxes, then take it to location B and more then back on the server. Is that a good way to go about this? Or is there some way I could move them to a different storage group, un-mount it move the storage group and remount? I don't'...

Rules error !!
outlook 2003 exchange 2003 error; "one or more rules could not be uploaded to exchange server and have been deactivated. This could be because some of the parameters are not supported or there is insufficient space to store all of your rules" I understand about 32k limit rule,but why does same problem keep occurring even if I make rules client side Also have deleted rules and now new rules creation seems to work sometimes and sometimes not Also replicated over other networks have setup using windows 2000/exchange 2000 too Tried cleansweep, but that refused to delete any rules A...