Mail to internal and external domains received twice internally...

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me diagnose a problem with an
exchange setup I look after.

One user is sending out a mail everyday to multiple recipients (both
internally and externally). The internal recipients receive the mail
twice. On examination of the headers on the second mail, I see the mail
has come from our smart host. Out current setup is two exchange servers
(live and a temp one which has some live accounts) both servers have
virtual smtp connectors configured for all unassigned IP's and there is
a smart host set up for external mail as we are behind NAT'd IP.

This only appears to be happening for the one user, although other
cases may be unreported. The message tracking tool does report that the
mail has been locally delivered, and also that some may have been
relayed to the smart host.

I hope this makes sense. Does anyone know anything I can check or
anything that sounds wrong to lead to this problem?

Thanks,
K

0
1/5/2007 12:11:14 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
342 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 1

On 5 Jan 2007 04:11:14 -0800, keilan.knight@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm wondering if anyone could help me diagnose a problem with an
>exchange setup I look after.
>
>One user is sending out a mail everyday to multiple recipients (both
>internally and externally). The internal recipients receive the mail
>twice. On examination of the headers on the second mail, I see the mail
>has come from our smart host. Out current setup is two exchange servers
>(live and a temp one which has some live accounts) both servers have
>virtual smtp connectors configured for all unassigned IP's and there is
>a smart host set up for external mail as we are behind NAT'd IP.
>
>This only appears to be happening for the one user, although other
>cases may be unreported. The message tracking tool does report that the
>mail has been locally delivered, and also that some may have been
>relayed to the smart host.
>
>I hope this makes sense. Does anyone know anything I can check or
>anything that sounds wrong to lead to this problem?
>
>Thanks,
>K


Is the smarthost entered on *each*  SMTP virtual server or on a SMTP
Connector?  If its on each SMTP virtual server, remove it and use one
SMTP connector intead with both servers as bridgheads.

0
adavid (8731)
1/5/2007 2:40:48 PM
One smarthost, not fixed to the virtual smtp servers. I only have the
one server set as a bridgehead (the one that translates to a public
IP), should I have both of them set?

Thanks,
K


Andy David {MVP} wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2007 04:11:14 -0800, keilan.knight@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm wondering if anyone could help me diagnose a problem with an
> >exchange setup I look after.
> >
> >One user is sending out a mail everyday to multiple recipients (both
> >internally and externally). The internal recipients receive the mail
> >twice. On examination of the headers on the second mail, I see the mail
> >has come from our smart host. Out current setup is two exchange servers
> >(live and a temp one which has some live accounts) both servers have
> >virtual smtp connectors configured for all unassigned IP's and there is
> >a smart host set up for external mail as we are behind NAT'd IP.
> >
> >This only appears to be happening for the one user, although other
> >cases may be unreported. The message tracking tool does report that the
> >mail has been locally delivered, and also that some may have been
> >relayed to the smart host.
> >
> >I hope this makes sense. Does anyone know anything I can check or
> >anything that sounds wrong to lead to this problem?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >K
>
>
> Is the smarthost entered on *each*  SMTP virtual server or on a SMTP
> Connector?  If its on each SMTP virtual server, remove it and use one
> SMTP connector intead with both servers as bridgheads.

0
1/5/2007 2:57:46 PM
For what its worth, the problem was occuring with two distribution
lists (one with internal addresses and one with external addresses). I
had the user expand the distribution lists in Outlook's TO: field and
the problem didn't occur. Tried again leaving the TO: field containing
the distribution list names, and the internal addresses were delivered
locally and then delivered from our smarthost. Only seems to be
happening from the one user. Bog standard outlook setup (exchange MAPI)
Outlook 2k3, latest service packs etc...

Thanks,
K


Keilan wrote:
> One smarthost, not fixed to the virtual smtp servers. I only have the
> one server set as a bridgehead (the one that translates to a public
> IP), should I have both of them set?
>
> Thanks,
> K
>
>
> Andy David {MVP} wrote:
> > On 5 Jan 2007 04:11:14 -0800, keilan.knight@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I'm wondering if anyone could help me diagnose a problem with an
> > >exchange setup I look after.
> > >
> > >One user is sending out a mail everyday to multiple recipients (both
> > >internally and externally). The internal recipients receive the mail
> > >twice. On examination of the headers on the second mail, I see the mail
> > >has come from our smart host. Out current setup is two exchange servers
> > >(live and a temp one which has some live accounts) both servers have
> > >virtual smtp connectors configured for all unassigned IP's and there is
> > >a smart host set up for external mail as we are behind NAT'd IP.
> > >
> > >This only appears to be happening for the one user, although other
> > >cases may be unreported. The message tracking tool does report that the
> > >mail has been locally delivered, and also that some may have been
> > >relayed to the smart host.
> > >
> > >I hope this makes sense. Does anyone know anything I can check or
> > >anything that sounds wrong to lead to this problem?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >K
> >
> >
> > Is the smarthost entered on *each*  SMTP virtual server or on a SMTP
> > Connector?  If its on each SMTP virtual server, remove it and use one
> > SMTP connector intead with both servers as bridgheads.

0
1/8/2007 7:51:41 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outgoing E-Mail Restrictions
I have a friend that is using windows 98 with outlook 2000. She wants to send an email out to someone on a sensitive matter and she does not want them to be able to forward the email, copy or print. She states that she has done this before but can not remember how she did this. Any one out there know how this is done in outlook 2002? Thanks! ...

mail.comcast.net box to enter username and password pops up every 15 seconds
I have a remote user/co-worker that has Comcast email. Every 15 seconds (we literally timed it) a box asking for a username and password pops up. I had him call Comcast for help, and they said it's a VPN issue, and they can't help. Any ideas on how to get this annoyance to go away? I'm terrible at remote help, and he's very computer illiterate :). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jilly Jilly <Jilly4@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a remote user/co-worker that has Comcast email. Every 15 > seconds (we literally timed it) a box asking for a username and &g...

Send/receive hangs
My Outlook has recently started to hang during "send/receive". I have 9 POP3 email accounts set up, and it processes some, but then gets to one that it tries for an hour to receive. I have updated to the latest SP, and I have also gone and checked the email on the provider's server. A few weeks ago I did find some residual spam email on the server (no idea why it was left on the server) and removing it seemed to clear up the problem. Now I am having the problem again and that is not helping. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks What is your send/recei...

Using the lookup attribute twice problem
Hi, I created a relationship attribute (Many-to-1) in a custom entity, so it will be a lookup field in the form. Now, I noticed that I can only use this lookup attribute once in a form, but the requirement is to use the same lookup field in the same form twice, first is for the Contact text field (lookup) and second, is for the Assistant text field (lookup), which both fields uses the Contact entity. Any ideas? On May 9, 11:47 pm, "Benjamin Fallar III" <fal...@pldtdsl.net> wrote: > Hi, I created a relationship attribute (Many-to-1) in a custom entity, so it > will...

Outlook 2003 Crashes @Send/Receive (outex.dll)
Hi, i've got the problem that Outlook 2k3 crashes suddenly during receiving and sending mails from an exchange server. Outlook says that it encountered an error and wants me to send a report to MS. EventViewer shows the entry that the error occurred in outex.dll. this *.dll is responsible for the "Out Of Office" Add-In. i've got every ServicePack installed (1,2,3) i need to keep the old *.pst and archive folder What i've done: - tried the repair function of office - useless - tried reinstalling, seemed to work. installed the service packs -> crashed again (same Lo...

SBS 2008 Backup's with rotating External HD's
Now that many of you have been "living" with 2008 for a bit, the big talk when it first came out what the built-in backup solution didn't recognize Tape drives, thus requiring 3rd party solutions. So, is the backup solution that came with SBS sufficient using rotating external drives? i've used it a couple of times and really like how fast the backups are and restoring files was pretty easy and painless...i would much prefer doing that to 3rd party software, etc... Thoughts? jared Even before 2008, I've preferred rotating external drives (or drive techn...

Question About Junk Folder/Mail
When one looks at the Junk Mail folder for either a POP or otherwise server, and does the ongoing Let-Em-In method as follows: 1. Highlight Junk Mail 2. [Right-Click] Junk Mail->Add to Safe Senders list 3. then (on the same message) [Right-Click] Junk Mail->Mark as Not Junk , these two commands certainly work, but one other annoying item is that it assigns the message or messages highlighted as Read. A look in the folder where the [erm] mail rules are supposed to place it shows the message having been processed, but marked as Read, thus not highlighted and fairly dif...

"Don't have appropriate permission" to send/receive
Let me add my complaint to the chorus of others I've seen on this newsgroup. Frequent readers will recall the symptoms: On Win XP Home, I can send/receive email using Outlook just fine, but my wife and kids cannot. They can send/receive test emails from Outlook's Tools->Email Accounts... (o) View or Change Account ... [Test Account Settings], but they get "You don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation" when they click on the Send/Receive button. We all have "computer administrator" privileges. I tried creating a new profile, as Mark Joh...

Subreport Data Listing Twice for Each Report Record
On a report & subreport pair, the subreport data is listing out twice, and I can't seem to sort out why. Any suggestions appreciated. -- Thanks, tbl tbl wrote: >On a report & subreport pair, the subreport data is listing >out twice, and I can't seem to sort out why. Does the subreport diplay two records? If so, the problem is that your main report's record source query has a Join to the subreport's data source. -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] in article bq9q83pdvsepjusn44j91g84rpveu5a9bk@4ax.com, Marshall Barton at marshbarton@wowway.com wrote on 7/5/07 1:18 PM...

Sending attachments using Business Contact Manager Mail Merge
I've just upgraded to Outlook Business Contact Manager 2003 and am trying to send an attachment to several contacts using the mail merge facility. When you click mail merge it takes you to Word, so I cannot understand how you attach a document to the message you have written. I'm sure it is very simple, I just need a little help please!!! Kate:confused: ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

setting up Vista-microsoft mail-getting POP3 server error message
What am I doing wrong? Trying to set up my MSN-Vista-Microsoft e-mail. Get an error message about the POP3 server. I give my incoming and outgoing mail server as POP3 and service provider TWC or Time Warner Cable and the error message comes up. What should I do? Can you help me? On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 19:27:09 -0700, "asilocreo" <asilocreo@microsoft.com> wrote: >What am I doing wrong? >Trying to set up my MSN-Vista-Microsoft e-mail. Get an error message about >the POP3 server. I give my incoming and outgoing mail server as POP3 and >service provider TWC or Ti...

DPMRA on Domain Controller in different forest...
I have a DPM 2010 server(sv-dpm1.company.local) in one domain (company.local) which is backing up a few servers in it's own domain as well as a child domain (ext.company.local) without any issue. I need to have this DPM 2010 server backup a few servers in another forest (clients.local,) two of which are domain controllers (dc-1.clients.local, dc-2.clients.local) for the clients.local domain. I have manually installed the DPMRA 3.0.7696.0 on each domain controller in the clients.local domain and have used SetDpmServer as required. (setdpmserver.exe -dpmservername sv-dpm1.c...

verzenden mail
er komt altijd dit bericht als ik mijn mail sluit" u heb berichten in uw postvak uit die niet zijn verzonden" het bericht kom iederkeer terug? Delete any message(s) in your Outbox folder, then try again. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "hdan" <hdan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:F521F03D-EA88-40EE-BB24-8CBE22B36F3D@microsoft.com... > er komt altijd dit bericht als ik mijn mail sluit" u heb berichten in = uw=20 > postvak uit die niet zijn verz...

[External Copy or SYLK] file format is not valid
I am moving to a new computer. I have WIN98SE on my old computer and WIN XP on the new one. I have Excel 97 and I am trying to transfer my data to the new computer. I get the above message when I try to open a file in XP. What is the problem? Thanks in advance, Bill. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Send and receive 09-08-10
Where can I find the 'send and receive' button in Vista and WLM. If you see a Sync button on the toolbar, that is the replacement for = Send & Receive. However, the latest beta version went back to Send & Receive. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) ------------------------------------------------------ "searcher" wrote in message news:i68nco$lpa$1@speranza.aioe.org... Where can I find the 'send and receive' button in Vista and WLM.=20 Send and Receive in Windows Live Mail 2009 http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A...

Exmerge 2003 issue with child domains
Hi, Acompany im contracting at is using exmerge 2003 to archive mailboxes of people that have the company. This works fine for all people in the parent domain. All people in child domains still have their mailbox on ther same server - and the mailbox permissions are also the same (permissions granted at database level). When trying to exmerge someone from a child domain, the following error message is presented - "Error Opening Message Store (MSEMS)" - which is normally permissions related. All mailbox rights are showing up correctly on the AD account in the child domain. Any ...

direct mail
Can someone tell me of an application that automates the process of printing letters for mailing using outlook and word on a scheduled basis? I would like to set up a contact and, based on the category assigned to that contact, print and send letters based on Word templates at predetermined intervals. See below 1st letter=today, 2nd letter = today + x days, 3rd letter = today + x days and so on. Most contacts get a mailing piece on day 1, day30, day 45, day 60, day 90. ...

mail Merge
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have made labels previously with no problem but now I am having difficulty. Originally I used a Mac database and converted it to Word. Now I can't remember how I did that so I went to the trouble of typing the list of names I needed into an Excel workbook. When I try to create the labels, the <br> sheet says &quot;next record&quot; in all the cells except the first one, which remains blank. <br> When I try to enter the merge fields, it just shows the first name on my list. What am I doi...

Rule to filter entire domain when some members of the domain are in your contacts
I am having a problem filtering mail from an entire domain. I've tried "where senders address contains" and also put @domain.com as described here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/rules.htm The issue seems to be that if the sender is in my contacts and it recognizes the name it doesn't trigger the filter. Anyone have any work arounds to this? ...

Mail Folder Scrollbar too fast?
Whenever I try to copy messages from my Favorite Folders to the Mail Folders, the folders move very fast. Is there a way to control these Folders - stop them from moving fast? thx they always move too slow for me. :) The only way to control the speed is by the position of the mouse - usually higher (or lower) on the window will speed it up. It's hard to explain, just play around with the mouse position. also, if you have so many folders that the mouse speed is a problem, you might want to consider different mail management techniques. Using hundreds of folders is not necessarily...

Upgrade from Win ME to XP replace Outlook 2000 mail
I've upgraded from Win ME to XP home, and beforehand I saved the files from Windows/application data, etc., to a file folder. Now that I haave XP up and running, Office and Outlook installed, I can't find the file folder to replace the files to access the archieved and late mail? Can someone help me fine the folder to replace the files? thank you Very Much! ...

OL 2003
Hello, I recently began receiving e-mails from a Listserv group that is work related. Unfortunately, some messages are arriving with the MIME message below: ----- Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="=__Part4D6FD98F.0__=" This is a MIME message. If you are reading this text, you may want to consider changing to a mail reader or gateway that understands how to properly handle MIME multipart messages. ----- How can I set up Outlook 2003 to translate these e-mails? Thanks, SCT sctvoice <sctvoice2@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > I recently began ...

Mail forwarding to another server
Hi, Is there any way to forward all mails for a particular user from exchange server to another mail server. Any help would be great. Thanks and regards, Shammy. Hi Create a contact with the external address of the user then on the users account in Active Directory User & Computers | Exchange General | Delivery Options | Forward to: click modify and point to your newly created contact. Regards -- Ben Hoffman MVP Exchange http://www.exchangeis.com "SHAMMY" <SHAMMY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:170FE8CA-1780-484F-B9C3-377669F5732C@microsoft.com... ...

Losing Hyperlink's when using mail merge
Look for a fix to outlook stripping Hyperlink's form the body of an email. AFAIK, you'll need a third party mass mailing app, then - mail merge uses only plain text, if I recall correctly. John C wrote: > Look for a fix to outlook stripping Hyperlink's form the > body of an email. ...

External users will use only smtp/pop3 connection to Exchange Serv
External users will use only smtp/pop3 connection to Exchange Server. I dont won't create AD users with mailboxes. Are there any other ways to resolve this problem? On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 22:44:01 -0800, "Slava" <Slava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >External users will use only smtp/pop3 connection to Exchange Server. Fine, that's perfectly OK. > >I dont won't create AD users with mailboxes. Oh yes you will. No AD account = No Mailbox. No Mailbox = No access to the server. > >Are there any other ways to resolve this problem? What problem? ...