Mail routing question

Here’s the situation…

User sends an email to xxx@mycorp.com and xxx@myothercorp.com.  User yyy
(which just happens to sit next to me) stands up and asks me why he’s getting
mail that is sent to user xxx@mycorp.com.  After looking through the tracking
logs I see the following:

ORIGINATING_EXCH_SRVR
xxx@mycorp.com (a contact that sends mail outside of the Exchange org.)
message transferred to mailhost (outside of exch org)

xxx@myothercorp.com (routed to myothercorp.com’s mail server via an Exchange
connector) message transferred to myothercorp’s mailhost

yyy@mycorp.com (magically added to the message) message transferred to yyy’s
exchange server

The original message sent from the user has only the first two recipients.
I’m stumped trying to figure out why user yyy came into the picture.  It
definitely happened on the originating exch server, but why?

Both xxx recipients are contacts:

xxx@mycorp.com points to an email address that does not exist in the
Exchange org, therefore it is sent to our mailhost which has an entry in its
aliases file for xxx.  This entry in the aliases file points to
xxx@exchange.mycorp.com, which is a public folder in my Exchange org.

xxx@myothercorp.com points to an email address that does not exist in the
Exchange org, but is defined in a connector to be directed to myothercorp’s
mailhost.

 yyy@mycorp.com (as far as I can tell) has nothing to do with any of these
contacts…

Exchange 2003, SP1

-Alex

0
Alex4922 (316)

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:31:02 -0800, Alex
<Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Here�s the situation�
>
>User sends an email to xxx@mycorp.com and xxx@myothercorp.com.  User yyy
>(which just happens to sit next to me) stands up and asks me why he�s getting
>mail that is sent to user xxx@mycorp.com.  After looking through the tracking
>logs I see the following:
>
>ORIGINATING_EXCH_SRVR
>xxx@mycorp.com (a contact that sends mail outside of the Exchange org.)
>message transferred to mailhost (outside of exch org)
>
>xxx@myothercorp.com (routed to myothercorp.com�s mail server via an Exchange
>connector) message transferred to myothercorp�s mailhost
>
>yyy@mycorp.com (magically added to the message) message transferred to yyy�s
>exchange server
>

>The original message sent from the user has only the first two recipients.
>I�m stumped trying to figure out why user yyy came into the picture.  It
>definitely happened on the originating exch server, but why?
>

>Both xxx recipients are contacts:
>
>xxx@mycorp.com points to an email address that does not exist in the
>Exchange org, therefore it is sent to our mailhost which has an entry in its
>aliases file for xxx.  This entry in the aliases file points to
>xxx@exchange.mycorp.com, which is a public folder in my Exchange org.
>
>xxx@myothercorp.com points to an email address that does not exist in the
>Exchange org, but is defined in a connector to be directed to myothercorp�s
>mailhost.
>
> yyy@mycorp.com (as far as I can tell) has nothing to do with any of these
>contacts�
>
>Exchange 2003, SP1
>
>-Alex

No delegates, rules etc in any of the mailboxes or on the public
folder?

Do the headers in the message to yyy reveal anything?
0
adavid (8731)
4/1/2006 10:10:46 PM
The public folder doesn't have any rules, there were no mailboxes involved.
The header from user yyy shows his message was recieved by his Exchange
server from the originating Exchange server.  Not sure if I'm gonna get
anywhere here with out kicking up transport logging and hoping it happens
again.

"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:31:02 -0800, Alex
> <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Here's the situation.
>>
>>User sends an email to xxx@mycorp.com and xxx@myothercorp.com.  User yyy
>>(which just happens to sit next to me) stands up and asks me why he's
>>getting
>>mail that is sent to user xxx@mycorp.com.  After looking through the
>>tracking
>>logs I see the following:
>>
>>ORIGINATING_EXCH_SRVR
>>xxx@mycorp.com (a contact that sends mail outside of the Exchange org.)
>>message transferred to mailhost (outside of exch org)
>>
>>xxx@myothercorp.com (routed to myothercorp.com's mail server via an
>>Exchange
>>connector) message transferred to myothercorp's mailhost
>>
>>yyy@mycorp.com (magically added to the message) message transferred to
>>yyy's
>>exchange server
>>

>>The original message sent from the user has only the first two recipients.
>>I'm stumped trying to figure out why user yyy came into the picture.  It
>>definitely happened on the originating exch server, but why?
>>

>>Both xxx recipients are contacts:
>>
>>xxx@mycorp.com points to an email address that does not exist in the
>>Exchange org, therefore it is sent to our mailhost which has an entry in
>>its
>>aliases file for xxx.  This entry in the aliases file points to
>>xxx@exchange.mycorp.com, which is a public folder in my Exchange org.
>>
>>xxx@myothercorp.com points to an email address that does not exist in the
>>Exchange org, but is defined in a connector to be directed to
>>myothercorp's
>>mailhost.
>>
>> yyy@mycorp.com (as far as I can tell) has nothing to do with any of these
>>contacts.
>>
>>Exchange 2003, SP1
>>
>>-Alex
>

> No delegates, rules etc in any of the mailboxes or on the public
> folder?
>
> Do the headers in the message to yyy reveal anything?

0
afontana (6)
4/2/2006 1:05:40 AM
maybe a bit more insightful
see the header below...  Now i'm thinking it may be the mailhost that threw
that recipient in???  yyy@mycorp.com's mailbox is on exch02

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
            by mailhost.mycorp.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 376DB6FC331
            for <xxx@mycorp.com>; Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:01:46 -0800 (PST)

"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:31:02 -0800, Alex
> <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Here's the situation.
>>
>>User sends an email to xxx@mycorp.com and xxx@myothercorp.com.  User yyy
>>(which just happens to sit next to me) stands up and asks me why he's
>>getting
>>mail that is sent to user xxx@mycorp.com.  After looking through the
>>tracking
>>logs I see the following:
>>
>>ORIGINATING_EXCH_SRVR
>>xxx@mycorp.com (a contact that sends mail outside of the Exchange org.)
>>message transferred to mailhost (outside of exch org)
>>
>>xxx@myothercorp.com (routed to myothercorp.com's mail server via an
>>Exchange
>>connector) message transferred to myothercorp's mailhost
>>
>>yyy@mycorp.com (magically added to the message) message transferred to
>>yyy's
>>exchange server
>>

>>The original message sent from the user has only the first two recipients.
>>I'm stumped trying to figure out why user yyy came into the picture.  It
>>definitely happened on the originating exch server, but why?
>>

>>Both xxx recipients are contacts:
>>
>>xxx@mycorp.com points to an email address that does not exist in the
>>Exchange org, therefore it is sent to our mailhost which has an entry in
>>its
>>aliases file for xxx.  This entry in the aliases file points to
>>xxx@exchange.mycorp.com, which is a public folder in my Exchange org.
>>
>>xxx@myothercorp.com points to an email address that does not exist in the
>>Exchange org, but is defined in a connector to be directed to
>>myothercorp's
>>mailhost.
>>
>> yyy@mycorp.com (as far as I can tell) has nothing to do with any of these
>>contacts.
>>
>>Exchange 2003, SP1
>>
>>-Alex
>

> No delegates, rules etc in any of the mailboxes or on the public
> folder?
>
> Do the headers in the message to yyy reveal anything?

0
afontana (6)

Money 04 "transfer to" question
I want to save money every week to different "accounts" within my check register. Maybe accounts isn't the right word, but here's what I want to do. Put money away every week towards different savings goals, like car insurance, car repair, etc... Is this the best way? And should the account type be bank or cash? What would be the difference? Thanks Richard I have the same question. -- Parley D. Kennelly Southern California Realtor� "Richard" <richard1@ij.net.remove> wrote in message news:%234hchjSjEHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I want to save mo...

mail redirection
Is it possible to redirect mail from some POP3 accounts in MS Exchange (installed as part of Small Business Server 2000)? Zvuk wrote: > Is it possible to redirect mail from some POP3 accounts in MS Exchange > (installed as part of Small Business Server 2000)? > > Could you describe what you're trying to do in a little more detail? For example: when you use web based e-mail, like yahoo for example, you are almost always offered a possibility to have all your mail forwarded to some other mail account. In our company we naturally all have email accounts on the company mail ...

How to choose which account to send mail
Hi there, Outlook 2003 I have 2 complete different accounts on my Outlook; one for work and the other private. How do I choose which account to use when sending mail. Sometimes I send e- mails from my private account and other times from my work account. Your advice will be much appreciated. -- Regards, Deon H On Feb 7, 11:07 am, Deon <REMOVEd...@REMOVEsincro.co.za> wrote: HI, Before sending the mail u can check in program "Application..Session.CurrentUser.Address" which will return the mail- id of the current configured account.(which is activated). May be this is yo...

Windows Vista Mail bcc Not Sending
I can enter names into the bcc field but the message does not get sent to those names? "Jenny" <jjnewman87@gmail.com> wrote in message news:DA341DEA-B2EB-4560-BB67-D8C2BA9DA5C3@microsoft.com... >I can enter names into the bcc field but the message does not get sent to >those names? > > What makes you believe that Jenny? Do they stay in your Outbox? If yes: please copy and paste the unedited error message that WM provides. If not: Go to your sent items folder and select one of your messages, then press the Ctrl key + F3, the message h...

A bad draft HTML e-mail that crashes Outlook 2003.
Hello. I was working on an e-mail reply in HTML format. Now, I can't edit/reply to it because Outlook crashes. Even copy and pasting the e-mail in HTML format as a new e-mail crashes. The crash error said: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8010.0, stamp 43d16d53, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 6.0.2900.2963, stamp 44c9f56a, debug? 0, fault address 0x00070ef0. I tried other HTML e-mails in edit and replying, and they weren't crashing. Is there a way to fix this beside copying and pasting as raw text? This is the first time I ever had this problem. I am using ...

Move Mails from OutlookExpress5/98 to OE6/XP
I have mails in my OutlookExpress5 on Win98 in my old PC, and I just bought a new laptop with OutlookExpress6 running on XP. How can I move my mails from OE5/98 in my old PC to OE6/XP in my new laptop? Your help much appreciated. David (dht_david@hotmail.com) This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an outlook express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsof...

Outbound e-mails do not arrive
Howdy People, I have a user who complains that her outbound e-mails do not arrive. Via Message Tracking Center I was able to track the concerning message, only the Message track was entirely empty! The message does not appear to be in the queue, also the user has not received a NDR. Exchange setup is as follows: # One user on an Exchange Ent Server "AA001" # Mail from "AA001" is transferred to Exchange SBS2k3 Server "AA002" # Server "AA002" is connected to the Internet. Last (line) Message Track for this message on Server "AA001": Message...

SFOC Mail Merger
Does anyone know if CRM 2.0 SFOC (2005) will have the ability to mail merge in custom fields? I read on another thread that currently in v. 1.2 the WordMailMerge for MSCRM 1.2 by PTM EDV-Systems is the only way to do this at present. I tried to mail merge and could not see any of our custom fields in either the Accounts or Contacts. Reason I ask is we are demoing to a client tomorrow that we will be converting from Maximizer and they have a lot of custom fields and will want this functionality. Thanks! Shauna Hello ! Have you allready tried our Add-On? It is now the only way to u...

How can I duplicate Outlook (mail, contact, calendar,etc) on my l.
When I travel i need to take an updated verison of by outlook files (calendar, contacts, tasks etc.). Is there a way to keep everthing in sync. jsu8249 <jsu8249@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I travel i need to take an updated verison of by outlook files > (calendar, contacts, tasks etc.). Is there a way to keep everthing in > sync. http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

Receiving mail stops working after awhile on Outlook
I need to expert help here. Something on my PC gets flaky after being on and working for awhile, I will stop receiving emails on certain accounts, but it's like it's cached info or something because other accounts will work fine. All my accounts are set up under Outlook, with the only differences being the names. In other words, I have six emails set up under my Mindspring account, so all are really duplicates as far as SMTP and POP information. Eventually within a 12-48 hour period, one account out of the 6 will not receive messages any more, even though it will send just fine!! The e...

SQL Question and Form Field Displays
Can some one please give me a bit of advice on how to accomplish the following: I have two tables (called Questions and Answers). The Questions table has five records, each with a unique question_Number field (from 1 - 5). I have created a query that pulls in all five Question records based on their primary key field and I am able to sequentially display all five records in my form. The Answers table has a single record that is associated with the records on the Question table by referencing the primary key field. The Problem: 1. I want the single Answer record to appear with each indivi...

Multiple *.pst files in "All Mail Folders"
Dear All: I have multiple *.pst files that have been created over the last 10 years. Most are still on the old 2000 format ie not the new 2003 format. Some relate to specific projects and others relate to series of companies etc etc. They were all under the former 2 gig limits in size for pst files. I would like to have those files available in the " All Mail Folders" section in Outlook 2003. However, I get an "out of resources" when I bring those files into the folder area and try to open a pst file to read an email or deposit a new email in that file/folder. (abc.pst...

Incoming mail message looping in inbox
Hi, I am having problems with an email from a known person with a seemingly legitimate email address that is being sent to a user's inbox every minute exactly. After reading a bit into it, I am pretty sure the problem is not with the client (Outlook 2000), but rather the server (Exchange 2003 SP2). I cannot restart the server until tonight, and am hoping fiddling with some services or perhaps a reboot may help, but does anyone else have anyone advice that may be helpful? Thanks Steve On 2 Mar 2006 20:05:08 -0800, stevep@epra.wa.gov.au wrote: >Hi, > >I am having problems with ...

SUMIF Question #6
Hello, Is it possible to use SUMIF with multiple conditions. I have three product catagories in a column, and need a subtotal the dollar value of each catagory based upon its A) its product code, and B) its active (or inactive) status. Regards... You can do this with a matrix -- install the add in for the Conditional SUM Wizard and it should walk you right through it. Do this with Tool Addin and select Conditional sum wizard. (You may need your office disk available). Leah "cincode5" wrote: > Hello, > > Is it possible to use SUMIF with multiple conditions. I have ...

Preventing incoming e-mail from a particular address with Exchange 2003
How can I reject an incoming e-mail from a particular e-mail address with Exchange Server 2003? Thanks, Tim On your Exchange 2003 server go to: Start=>>Programs=>>Microsoft Exchange=>>System Manager Expand your site (Domain)=>>expand Global Settings Right click Message delivery and click Properties Select the Sender Filtering Tab Type in the address you want to filter and check the "Drop connection if adress matches filter" box. You can filter an entire Domain by putting a * before the @ in a domain address. Exapmle: *@somedomain.com >-----Original M...

Custom recipients to deliver mail from 5.5 Org to 2003 Org
Hi I need some help setting up co-existence between and Exchange 5.5 Org and an Exchange 2003 Org. The two Organisations are connected via X400 (with the address space for the 2003 Org domain) and this is working fine, with message flow in both directions. There is no replication or provisioning taking place between the two Orgs as this is not required. All mail to other Exchange sites or internet domains is being routed through the 5.5 gateway at another site. What we are trying to do is to deliver mail to both the 5.5 mailboxes and for this mail to then also be delivered to the 20...

Can e-mail accounts use the domain password ?
We have many users with XP Pro laptops who are forced to change domain passwords every 60 days. They use the same password for their Outlook e-mail account. Thus they must also remember to change their Outlook e-mail account password at the same time. Is there any way for the Outlook e-mail account to use their domain password ? Paul Offerle wrote: > We have many users with XP Pro laptops who are forced to > change domain passwords every 60 days. They use the same > password for their Outlook e-mail account. Thus they must > also remember to change their Outlook e-mail accoun...

Design question
What is the best practice for automating the creation of a presentation? I have a presentation that retrieves data (via web service calls) and then displays it on 1 or more new slides. However, much of the look and feel of the presentation is static. Should I make a slide master or template? I know practically nothing about these things. I am a coder by trade. The VBA has been easy, but the PowerPoint stuff has been exhausting. If I could somehow reuse a template and then add the dynamic data to pre-defined fields on the presentation that would be perfect. Thank you all in ad...

Unexplained Junk Mail
I have "Safety Options" set to "No Automatic Filtering" and my "Blocked Senders" list is empty. Yet, e-mail that is important to me is sent to my Junk Folder! What gives? Is the email from a Contact ? Is the recipient address a Hotmail type account(Hotmail.com, Live.com, Msn.com) ? Is the recipient email account setup as Http ? Does the email contain links or graphics ? -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Bill Stine" <Bill Stine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A61B1AAA-7E9A-4719-AEFE-769A2769CB1C@microsoft.com......

Junk E-mail Reporting Tool for Outlook
Microsoft is now offering for download a free "Junk E-Mail Reporting Tool Version 1.0 for Microsoft Office Outlook." It is described this way ... "Microsoft Junk E-mail Reporting Tool submits e-mail to Microsoft when you explicitly choose to do so. If you receive a junk e-mail and want to report it to us for analysis, first select the e-mail in Outlook and then click the junk e-mail button on your tool bar. You will see a pop-up window asking whether you want to report the selected e-mail to Microsoft and its affiliates. When you click "Yes" to confirm that you&...

Accept mail for both example.com and example.org
Our company, "example.org", would like mail addressed "foobar@example.com" to be seamlessly routed to the mailbox of "foobar@example.org". We want this done for all mailboxes at "example.org". I can handle the dns side, but I'm not sure how to configure Exchange. I know I can add a second domain to the default recipient policy, but do I have to add the new smtp address individually to every user? Or is there someway to get Exchange to "re-route" all email for "whoever@example.com" to "whoever@example.org"? Thanks...

Exch. 5.5 : to route a domain
Hello, I have 2 exchange 5.5 servers. One is a smtp relay (with DNS) for all mails to internet. I have another smtp relay to go to another organization. I want to route the domain, for example, toto.com and *.toto.com to the second relay. What can I do for this ? Address Space with *.toto.com or *@*.toto.com ? I also have a domain titi.toto.com. But this domain must not be route to the second relay but to the first one to internet. What can I do ? thanks, Lionel. "lpons" <lpons_nospam@free.fr> wrote: >I have 2 exchange 5.5 servers. One is a smtp relay (with DNS) ...

E-mail templates with HTML
Hello!!! I have 2 question about e-mail in CRM: How I can make a e-mail template with html ( I want insert image and formating the font )? When I recived a e-mail with formating text ( ex: image, font etc ), why all the format is cuting off from the body of the mail? Thanks! Stefano ...

Read e-mails disappear suddenly
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: pop Strange but truth. Since today (I am using Entourage for some months without any problems) suddenly read e-mails disappear totally. <br> Does somebody know what is happening. And what I can do with this problem? > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3355915145_5592023 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit On 5/5/10 12:32 PM, in article 59...

GIC (CD) Question
After reading other questions and responses reagrding the creation and management of CD's, I have the following question: I have been struggling to find the appropriate investmant to use for a Canadian GIC (guaranteed interest), another user suggested using CD's which seems to work fine. My employer deposits an amount monthly to a GIC which is locked in for 5 years at a pre-determined interest rate. This started just over 5 yrs ago, so they are starting to mature. Since then, my employer switched to bi-weekly desposits, so now I have new deposits every 2 weeks, and maturing...