I have a situation where all outgoing mail sits in a queues on the Exchange
2000 server (one per domain) for about 45 minutes before being sent. The
queues in question have a status of ready. There are also other queues of
that are retries (mostly NDRs from junk mail). We are only a small company
and the amount of mail is not great. What might Exchange be waiting for
before sending this mail? Is there something I can tweak to make it send
mail sooner?

Thanks for any help,

Angus.

0
afmacleod (5)

Angus,

Where does the mail go after it leaves your Exchange server, does it go to a
smarthost/isp or does it use DNS to route the mail ? Does anything get
logged in the application event log on the Microsoft Exchange server ? Has
it been working fine in the past ?

Regards

Paul Ford
Edge IT Ltd

"Angus Macleod" <afmacleod@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a situation where all outgoing mail sits in a queues on the Exchange
>2000 server (one per domain) for about 45 minutes before being sent. The
>queues in question have a status of ready. There are also other queues of
>that are retries (mostly NDRs from junk mail). We are only a small company
>and the amount of mail is not great. What might Exchange be waiting for
>before sending this mail? Is there something I can tweak to make it send
>mail sooner?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Angus.

0
paulford1 (138)
9/28/2006 10:46:22 PM
Paul,

After the mail has sat in a queue for a long time it is sent to the
recipient domains mail server (using DNS to determine the server). No
entries are written to the event log. Once the mail is sent the normal smtp
log entries are written.

I don't think the problem has just started, but I don't know how long it has
been going on - my users started complaining a few weeks ago, but it could
have been happening for a long time.

There are usually about 30-40 queues, almost all of them containing just one
or two messages - does Exchange only process one at a time?

Thanks for your help,

Angus.

"Paul Ford (Edge IT Ltd)" <paulford@nospam.edgeitltd.co.uk> wrote in message
> Angus,
>
> Where does the mail go after it leaves your Exchange server, does it go to
> a smarthost/isp or does it use DNS to route the mail ? Does anything get
> logged in the application event log on the Microsoft Exchange server ? Has
> it been working fine in the past ?
>
> Regards
>
> Paul Ford
> Edge IT Ltd
>
> "Angus Macleod" <afmacleod@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have a situation where all outgoing mail sits in a queues on the
>>Exchange 2000 server (one per domain) for about 45 minutes before being
>>sent. The queues in question have a status of ready. There are also other
>>queues of that are retries (mostly NDRs from junk mail). We are only a
>>small company and the amount of mail is not great. What might Exchange be
>>waiting for before sending this mail? Is there something I can tweak to
>>make it send mail sooner?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Angus.

0
afmacleod (5)

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Reporting from Project Server

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Contacts in Exchange #2

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Over Time Pay rate 1.51?

SMTP QUEUE #7
Good afternoon, I am having problems with deleting all the mail from my smtp queue. i see where i have two queue folders under \exchsrvr\mailroot\vs1 and vs2. i deleted all emails from these queue folders but every time i restart my smtp service, my system is real slow- i know that someone connected to our exchange server for mail relaying and have made changes to our pix firewall to prevent this again. however, why is it that i have nothing in my queue but when i start the smtp service, the system slows to a crawl. is it by chance that messages are still in the information store- wait...

OE autodelete OLD mail

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

Terminal Server and GP Settings
Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a question for somebody who is. When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under their user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the settings for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this thinking correct? -- Charles Allen, MVP I think you also have to make certain that the dex.ini does NOT exist in the program install location for GP or it will still look to that. Dwight...

outlook 2007 e-mail

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?