Mail Enabled Users vs. Mail enabled contacts......

I am needing to create a distribution group in our GAL of external people
for my AD users to email.  What is the difference between Mail Enabled users
vs Mail enabled contacts.  I am not sure which one to use? HELP

0
chess (23)

For external users, you need to create mail-enabled Contacts. Contacts exist
only so they can show up in the Address Book/GAL (they can be hidden,
though... ) and everyone in the Org can email them.

Mail-enabled users are users that have mail residing on an external system -
they are security principals and can log-on to the Domain - Contacts can't.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Christi" <chess@nospam.gibraltardesign.com> wrote in message
>I am needing to create a distribution group in our GAL of external people
> for my AD users to email.  What is the difference between Mail Enabled
> users
> vs Mail enabled contacts.  I am not sure which one to use? HELP

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
1/25/2006 6:27:46 PM
Bharat:
Thank you for clarifying that for me so quickly.
Christi

"Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message
> For external users, you need to create mail-enabled Contacts. Contacts
exist
> only so they can show up in the Address Book/GAL (they can be hidden,
> though... ) and everyone in the Org can email them.
>
> Mail-enabled users are users that have mail residing on an external
system -
> they are security principals and can log-on to the Domain - Contacts
can't.
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>

> "Christi" <chess@nospam.gibraltardesign.com> wrote in message
> >I am needing to create a distribution group in our GAL of external people
> > for my AD users to email.  What is the difference between Mail Enabled
> > users
> > vs Mail enabled contacts.  I am not sure which one to use? HELP

0
chess (23)

Re-applying 'Hyperlink'-character style to all internet and e-mail addresses
Dear Experts: I got a long document where internet and e-mail adresses such as ... www.google.de or info@factory.de .... have lost their character style "Hyperlink". How can I get Word via VBA to re-apply this character style to all occurrences of URL's and e-mail addresses. Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas The solution depends on exactly what you mean by "have lost their character style "Hyperlink". If the text in question still consists of hyperlinks (that is, when you hover over one it shows the ...

Cannot remove Internet Mail Service Connector
E2K3 SP1 I upgraded from 5.5 using the swing method so the new server had the same name as the old one I replaced. Now I'm getting this error: Failed in reading Connector's DS Info Process Id: 1732 Process location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe ConnectorDN: CN=Internet Mail Service (CLAREPOST) The Internet Mail Service is grayed out in the Connectors area so I cannot make any changes or delete it, and I'd rather delete it and create a new one. So how can I delete it? ...

Spam Folder not receiving Emails in Windows Live Mail
In my Windows Live mail i have added a folder to move all my spam into. Some of the spam i use, but the last couple of days i have received no emails at all with spam. I am receiving normal emails to my inbox. I use the Message Rules in Tools to move everything with "spam" into a separate folder. I have even cancelled this to see if that works. Any ideas would be great Thanks in advance Are you saying that the emails come with spam added to the Subject? If yes, then you have a spam program doing the labeling or your isp is doing the labeling. -- Ron Sommer MS...

Mail Merge Outlook 2000 in Word 2000
I posted this on 10th but cannot find it (tried Find facility also) so am trying again. Apologies if I'm the only one who has not seen it. One of my Outlook categories is "Christmas Cards". I mail merge the contacts in that category to Word in the following way: Mailing Name Company Mailing Address Because I do not want the address to start at the very left hand side of the label, I place these nearer to the middle at the set-up section. When the contacts are merged, only the name, company and first line of the mailing address are where I want them to be. The remainder o...

My tech gets X's & O's when I e-mail him a word document?
My tech gets O & X when I send him a word document, what do I have to change? Possible solutions: 1. Make sure the recipient is trying to open the document with Word and not something like OpenOffice or Notepad. 2. Find out what version of Word the recipient is using and make sure your document is in a format compatible with that version. (Note that .doc can be opened by pretty much any version of Word.) 3. Save the document in Rich Text Format (.rtf) and send that instead of the Word document (.doc/.docx/.docm). 4. Convert the document to PDF and send that instead of ...

No Mail Is Going Into JunkMail Folder
I recently did a new install including Office SP2. No mail is going into the Junkmail folder and this is getting out of hand again. What can be going on here? I have tried setting Low to High and still nothing. Need some real insight on this problem... -- <%= Clinton Gallagher NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clintongallagher/ clintonG <csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com> wrote: > I recently did a new install including Office SP2. No mail is going > into the Junkmail folder and this is getting out of hand...

CRM Redeployment
I'm trying to redeploy a version of our live CRM onto a test image. Whenever I run the redeployment tool, I keep getting the following error: "An error occurred when populating Microsoft CRM user groups. Ensure that CRM user accounts are accessible from the current domain and run the wizard again." I've given all the users local logon privileges, but I can't do anything to the CRM group permissions until the tool actually creates them. I'm missing something here - any idea why this error keeps popping up and how to fix it? Thanks. ...

Customise Auto-reolution of users/addresses in GAL
Hi Situation Exchange Server 2003, User using the to: field to type only first names and let's Exchange resolve it. One of the users he often emails to is named John Wood Problem added new user Tim Johnson. When he types "John; Jeff..." John is not resolved to John Wood anymore but gets underlined in green. Customer finds it anoying to have to click the underlined user and select the right one... "If I want Mr johnson, I will type in Tim, but when I type John he does not have to think Johnson, but John".... Hard customer zo pls hel "ezjurgen" <anonymous...

Double E-Mails #2
I am recieving double e-mails when people just send me one copy. It is not every time and I can't figure a pattern out. Any Ideas! Thanks for any help, Ryan ...

Crummy E mail service
This microsoft service sucks! I have spent 30 minutes changing my logins because this crummy site doesn't work!!!! Click on this (no login needed): news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Not interested in discussion groups." <Not interested in discussion = groups.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:664D9A77-6ED3-48A7-A94C-C2C234872B5A@microsoft.com... > This microsoft service sucks! I have spent 30 minutes c...

IMAP sent-mail folder
Hi all. I have OUTLOOK 2002 - SP3. I'm trying to create a rule to put all sent msgs from an IMAP4 account into an IMAP FOLDER : sent-msg but it doesnt work. The rules is like : tools -> rules -> check msg after sending -> throught the account ... -> move a copy to IMAP sent msg folder all msg are moved to POP3 sent-msg folder but NOT in the IMAP sent-msg folder any idea ? are you connected to the imap server? do you have outlook saving all sent messages? if so, and if the connection to the imap is down, the move won't take place but a copy is saved locally. -- ...

Office XP Professional User having Trouble Accessing Excel and Office Updates
I am suddenly having trouble accessing Excel and Office Updates. According to my profile I have the following version of Office: MSOffice XP Professional Version 2002 SP1 When I try to go in to Excel I get a Windows Installer pop-up. Then its goes to Windows Installer and I get an error message saying" the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Then I get Error 1706. Setup cannot fing the required files. The patch \\Puma\base\software\desktop\officexp\PROPLUS.MSI cannot be found I am also running into a similar problem when trying to ...

Auto configure outlook for exchange users
We use roaming profiles, along with outlook 2002 and exchange 2000. Is there a way to auto configure outlook for the users, instead of having to do them all individually? Many many thanks, I really need help with this. There is a way to do it using GPO's and scripts. But I use Scriptlogic logon scripts to configure the users profiles and settings for everything including Outlook. www.scriptlogic.com :-) >-----Original Message----- >We use roaming profiles, along with outlook 2002 and >exchange 2000. Is there a way to auto configure outlook >for the users, instead...

Tool or Script to Export particular AD User Information
I would like to export the mail address, phone number, mobile phone number, contacts of my user in AD - does anyone have a script to share or point me to? Thank you. You could look at ldifde. You would just need to use the "-l" and then specify the attributes for which you would like the values ( in your case, the mail address, .... contacts ). And, that is a lower case letter 'L", not the number "1". -- Cary W. Shultz Roanoke, VA 24014 Microsoft Active Directory MVP http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com "...

Blocking a specific e-mail address
I am using ex2003 in 2000 domain. What is the best way of blocking an specific email address from being delivered. Also, is the server does block an address, is it using the smtp address or the ip address that the smtp origanated from? REgards, Using Exchange System Manager, right-click Message Delivery, go to Properties, under the Filtering tab enter the email address you want to block. This will globally block the email address. "eotrue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20ea701c45a21$c2692db0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I am using ex2003 in 2...

How do I copy & paste a document and e-mail it?
What version Publisher? What email program? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Email a document" <Email a document@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E059E6C0-F42B-4856-9064-F2768F5945BD@microsoft.com... > ...

How do I configure Exchange 5.5 to use a particular NIC card to transport mail?
First some info on my network. Recently our ISP changed its pricing so we could no longer afford to have a block of 32 static assigned IP's. As a result we now have 2 static IP addresses. One is being used by the PDC/Web/Exchange server, the other has been assigned to our Symantec Firewall appliance allowing us to move all of our workstations behind the firewall and allowing us to use the firewall appliance DHCP server to supply enough internal IP's so we could maintain access for all the workstations. I also added a second NIC card to the Server and connected it to the firewall as wel...

2007 Excel vs. 2003
Good Afternoon, I'm trying to switch a spreadsheet with Programming/Macros from Office 2003 to 2007 . I'm having some compatibility issues and I'm hoping someone can help. In Excel 2003, if you had Text Fields or Shapes and were sending to a new workbook, these were automatically ported over (meaning you'd have to program in a logic if you didn't want them to show up the new worksheet). I'm hoping to continue that working in Office 2007 but that doesn't appear to be the case. Since I have so many Text Fields and shapes I'm carrying over to th...

SQL 2005 view vs table execution?
When you excute your query a table using via view, does it compilies each time when you query or does it uses any kind of stored data in the memory pool? Is it querying directly the table always faster (small, medium or huge) than directly querying the table? ...

Travelling e-mail
Hello all. Is there a way to set up Outlook, so I can read my e-mails from my server in the office, while I'away on the road? Thanks. Are you using Exchange? If yes, ask the admin if you have Outlook Web Access set up for reading mail via a browser. This will only work for mail on the Exchange server and not in personal folders. If you are not using Exchange, then you better hope you CAN'T access your mail on the server as that would mean that your server is wide open to outsiders. (Excluding VPN of course.) -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to k...

Picture with your Contacts
Is it possible to add pictures to a contact. When I use Windows Explorer to view a contact I can see the picture that I associated with that contact but when I'm in Windows Live Mail I can't. If it makes a difference I also use Windows 7. Don Hello Don, WLM's contacts are stored in a database and not viewable in Windows Explorer(only in WLM and WLMsgr). The contacts one sees in Windows 7 should be the contacts migrated(for backward compatibility) from an earlier o/s(upgrade from Vista) or copied or imported to that Contact folder. The current version of WLM a...

E-mails from outside can not come into CRM queue
We have installed CRM 1.2 + Exchange 2000. Then configured the e-mail user for the queue according to the manual, attributes are set up properly, etc. etc. The problem is: absolutely no e-mails could be received by the Queue from outside. Also, very interesting is the fact that so far only one person from INSIDE (from our domain I mean) can send emails to the queue. Everyone is saying CRM router does not accept traffic from intranet, but I am sure, the member of our domain can send messages to CRM queue and they are displayed there properly. What could be the cause of the problem? Impr...

creating additional e-mail accounts
Hi: I need help. I have Outlook 2000. I have Verizon for DSL. I have an e-mail account in Outlook. I need to set up two additional acounts (on my computer and on theirs) within Outlook for my kids. How do I do this? Thanks, Christina Contact Verizon to add email accounts. It is up to the ISP to provide the additional mailboxes for you to set the account properties. Once you have set up the accounts with your ISP, then you can add them to Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus nam...

Windows 2003 SBS Max connections / users
I've read some of the previous posts regarding max # of users, unavailable connections, etc however I think I've got a slightly different twist on the issue. I'm running SBS 2003, SP2 - patches up to date, etc. We have 5 original CALs plus an additional 5 DEVICE CALs installed. It is rare for 10 users to be logged in at any one time, but it does happen. The issue I'm having is that occasionally a user will get a message that they can't connect, or their Outlook won't be able to connect to Exchange or something similar. If I go in to Computer Manag...

Cannot Receive Mail
Opened a Windows Live Mail account. Can send messages, cannot receive messages. Nothing shows in in box or unread mail. Is this a POP3, IMAP, or HTTP account? Who is the provider? Any error message when you try to receive? Does the status bar always say "No new messages"?=20 What happens when you send an email message to yourself? When you check via webmail, are there messages waiting to be downloaded? --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "JIm" <JIm @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...