Mail delivery stopped

I am running Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise along with Windows Server 2003
Enterprise.  I am not anywhere near an expert on these systems, they were
part of my partner pack and I'm learning.

Here is the issue, up until May 8, 2004 I was sending and receiving messages
both to and from the Internet and across my LAN without issue.  Everything
worked and I was not generating error messages.  On May 9 we had a power
outage that took down my server.  From that point forward I have been unable
to receive messages from the Internet.  I can still send to the Internet and
across the Exchange Server, but nothing seems to be coming in.  I have
checked the exchange log files, and up until May 9 they show the receipt of
external messages, after that, nothing other than outbound or the System
Cleanup message from Exchange itself.

This is an across the board problem, all user accounts are acting in this
exact manner.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Todd

0
wilsontt (6)

Has the IP address of the server changed ? How do messages get routed to
your smtp domain, do you have an MX record pointing to one of your servers
server or does email coming into your organisation via a smarthost that
routes email to your server, something like messagelabs ?

Paul

"Todd Wilson" <wilsontt@alltel.net> wrote in message
> I am running Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise along with Windows Server
2003
> Enterprise.  I am not anywhere near an expert on these systems, they were
> part of my partner pack and I'm learning.
>
> Here is the issue, up until May 8, 2004 I was sending and receiving
messages
> both to and from the Internet and across my LAN without issue.  Everything
> worked and I was not generating error messages.  On May 9 we had a power
> outage that took down my server.  From that point forward I have been
unable
> to receive messages from the Internet.  I can still send to the Internet
and
> across the Exchange Server, but nothing seems to be coming in.  I have
> checked the exchange log files, and up until May 9 they show the receipt
of
> external messages, after that, nothing other than outbound or the System
> Cleanup message from Exchange itself.
>
> This is an across the board problem, all user accounts are acting in this
> exact manner.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions,
>
> Todd

0
paulford (74)
5/12/2004 1:35:46 PM
Paul,
No, the IP has remained static.  Yes, I have a MX record pointing to the
server.

Todd
"Paul Ford [MSFT]" <paulford@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has the IP address of the server changed ? How do messages get routed to
> your smtp domain, do you have an MX record pointing to one of your servers
> server or does email coming into your organisation via a smarthost that
> routes email to your server, something like messagelabs ?
>
> Paul
rights.

> "Todd Wilson" <wilsontt@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > I am running Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise along with Windows Server
> 2003
> > Enterprise.  I am not anywhere near an expert on these systems, they
were
> > part of my partner pack and I'm learning.
> >
> > Here is the issue, up until May 8, 2004 I was sending and receiving
> messages
> > both to and from the Internet and across my LAN without issue.
Everything
> > worked and I was not generating error messages.  On May 9 we had a power
> > outage that took down my server.  From that point forward I have been
> unable
> > to receive messages from the Internet.  I can still send to the Internet
> and
> > across the Exchange Server, but nothing seems to be coming in.  I have
> > checked the exchange log files, and up until May 9 they show the receipt
> of
> > external messages, after that, nothing other than outbound or the System
> > Cleanup message from Exchange itself.
> >
> > This is an across the board problem, all user accounts are acting in
this
> > exact manner.
> >
> > Thanks for your suggestions,
> >
> > Todd

0
wilsontt (6)
5/12/2004 4:57:32 PM
What happens if you telnet to the server that is not recieving email and
attempt to send an email to a user (as if it is coming from the Internet).
See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153119 for
details on using telnet to test the server.

> Paul,
> No, the IP has remained static.  Yes, I have a MX record pointing to the
> server.
>
> Todd
> "Paul Ford [MSFT]" <paulford@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has the IP address of the server changed ? How do messages get routed to
> > your smtp domain, do you have an MX record pointing to one of your
servers
> > server or does email coming into your organisation via a smarthost that
> > routes email to your server, something like messagelabs ?
> >
> > Paul
> > --
> rights.
> >
> > "Todd Wilson" <wilsontt@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > > I am running Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise along with Windows Server
> > 2003
> > > Enterprise.  I am not anywhere near an expert on these systems, they
> were
> > > part of my partner pack and I'm learning.
> > >
> > > Here is the issue, up until May 8, 2004 I was sending and receiving
> > messages
> > > both to and from the Internet and across my LAN without issue.
> Everything
> > > worked and I was not generating error messages.  On May 9 we had a
power
> > > outage that took down my server.  From that point forward I have been
> > unable
> > > to receive messages from the Internet.  I can still send to the
Internet
> > and
> > > across the Exchange Server, but nothing seems to be coming in.  I have
> > > checked the exchange log files, and up until May 9 they show the
receipt
> > of
> > > external messages, after that, nothing other than outbound or the
System
> > > Cleanup message from Exchange itself.
> > >
> > > This is an across the board problem, all user accounts are acting in
> this
> > > exact manner.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your suggestions,
> > >
> > > Todd