Lost Mail after Exmerge

Hi,

I tried to export an exchange 5.5 mailbox using Exmerge.  I had to cancel
the export half way through to do a higher priority mail account.  After
this other account was finished I deleted the previous .pst and restarted
the exmerge on the original account.  It appeared to go correctly and I then
imported the mailbox back into the new Exchange 2k Server.  However about 2
weeks later (he had been on holiday) the user in question reported that he
was missing all his email from his inbox, but that his SubInbox folder
structure was fine and all email correct and present there.

On returning to the original server his entire contents from his mailbox
have gone (I thought exmerge only copied???).  They dont have a functioning
backup so no access to any of the .edb files.  Is it at all likely that the
data is still in Exchange somewhere?  As I said above I thought exmerge only
copied the data into the pst, where as it looks like it has moved it in this
case.  Im also guessing that due to the cancelling of the first run, I have
lost what was already exported at that point.

They didnt set their DIR either so there is nothing in the Dumpster, I read
one post regarding running eseutil /p on the database, but the system is
running fine, just no mail in his mailbox!  Would this be sensible.  I can
pretty much do anything with the old server as the new server is in
production and everyone else is fine with it.

Any pointers here would be greatly received, other than telling this client
to sort out their backup this is!

Thanks In Advance
Jon

If there is no DIR set on that server, and it was indeed deleted and
not just moved to another folder or archived,  its gone. It sounds
like you'll need to go back to backup.
BTW, have you checked the user's current inbox to make sure they didnt
actually whack it there ? :)

On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:16:54 +0100, "Jon Lee"
<jonDONTcomputegeekSPAMlee@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I tried to export an exchange 5.5 mailbox using Exmerge.  I had to cancel
>the export half way through to do a higher priority mail account.  After
>this other account was finished I deleted the previous .pst and restarted
>the exmerge on the original account.  It appeared to go correctly and I then
>imported the mailbox back into the new Exchange 2k Server.  However about 2
>weeks later (he had been on holiday) the user in question reported that he
>was missing all his email from his inbox, but that his SubInbox folder
>structure was fine and all email correct and present there.
>
>On returning to the original server his entire contents from his mailbox
>have gone (I thought exmerge only copied???).  They dont have a functioning
>backup so no access to any of the .edb files.  Is it at all likely that the
>data is still in Exchange somewhere?  As I said above I thought exmerge only
>copied the data into the pst, where as it looks like it has moved it in this
>case.  Im also guessing that due to the cancelling of the first run, I have
>lost what was already exported at that point.
>
>They didnt set their DIR either so there is nothing in the Dumpster, I read
>one post regarding running eseutil /p on the database, but the system is
>running fine, just no mail in his mailbox!  Would this be sensible.  I can
>pretty much do anything with the old server as the new server is in
>production and everyone else is fine with it.
>
>Any pointers here would be greatly received, other than telling this client
>to sort out their backup this is!
>
>Thanks In Advance
>Jon

0
adavid (8731)
5/18/2004 10:54:24 PM
"Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
message news:es4la0tjotptptcp04ofpfoc78ge48stse@4ax.com...
> If there is no DIR set on that server, and it was indeed deleted and
> not just moved to another folder or archived,  its gone. It sounds
> like you'll need to go back to backup.
> BTW, have you checked the user's current inbox to make sure they didnt
> actually whack it there ? :)

This is my connundrum, I dont know where the mail has gone.  Can you confirm
for me that Exchange 5.5 Exmerge should just 'copy' the mail and not 'move'
it in the sense of deleting it once a copy has happened.  If this is the
case can you think of anything that would cause exchange to purge the
mailbox once a succesful exmerge has happened.

It seems to have left the folder structure correctly in the mailbox but
taken the mail from within it.

TIA
Jon

the default setting on exmerge is to copy - but it can be set  to "archive"
to a pst file, which removes the mail from the mailbox...

"Jon Lee" <jonDONTcomputegeekSPAMlee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote
in
> message news:es4la0tjotptptcp04ofpfoc78ge48stse@4ax.com...
> > If there is no DIR set on that server, and it was indeed deleted and
> > not just moved to another folder or archived,  its gone. It sounds
> > like you'll need to go back to backup.
> > BTW, have you checked the user's current inbox to make sure they didnt
> > actually whack it there ? :)
> >

> This is my connundrum, I dont know where the mail has gone.  Can you
confirm
> for me that Exchange 5.5 Exmerge should just 'copy' the mail and not
'move'
> it in the sense of deleting it once a copy has happened.  If this is the
> case can you think of anything that would cause exchange to purge the
> mailbox once a succesful exmerge has happened.
>
> It seems to have left the folder structure correctly in the mailbox but
> taken the mail from within it.
>
> TIA
> Jon

0
susan7353 (1225)

Mail-merge dynamic database source
I have created a mail-merge that gets its input from Excel via OLEDB. Each month it needs to get the input from a spreadsheet in a folder specific to that month. Moreover, although I create and test the merge on my pc, I distribute it to others who have a different naming convention for their folders. Once I save my merge document, the source folder is saved with it. [Although I have examined the merge document carefully, and can't find any clear text reference to the database. Does anyone know how that info is stored?] I know that if the database doesn't exist when th...

Forwarding e-mail to external account
My boss wan't his mailbox to also be forwarded to his friend . how can i do that from exchangeserver. Many thanx robel wrote: > My boss wan't his mailbox to also be forwarded to his > friend . how can i do that from exchangeserver. > > Many thanx Hi, you have to create a "contact" in AD users... This contact must be "mail-enabled" to give it the "distant e-mail" and have it to appear in the global list. Selecting the boss mailbox, you will be able to select the contact in "delivery" configuration. A check box will also let you s...

Can't send mails only recv
Everytime I try to send an email, it goes to my outbox but never leaves. I notice that if it is in italics, it will leave but if not, it wont. I have tried re-sending the mail but no luck. I use Outlook 2003 from office 2003 professional on windows XP pro. ...

How to add e-mail disclaimer on bottom; article not clear
Exch2003 Sp1. Can you clarify in which server (SMTP Connector, or mailbox servers?) I should run cscript smtpreg.vbs /add 1 onarrival SMTPScriptingHost CDO.SS_SMTPOnArrivalSink "mail from=*@your-domain-here.com" as informed on the article below. I think it should be the SMTP connector servers, but I want to clarify. Isn't there any built-in way to do this on Exch2003 SP2 perhaps ? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317680#appliesto On Wed, 3 May 2006 06:45:17 -0700, "Marlon Brown" <MarlonBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Ex...

How to limit size of mail
Hello, I have a NT4 server with Exchange 5.5. Is it possible to limit the size of the mail (for example 10) for the internals mails independently from outgoing mail? Thanks a lot. Mike I don't believe that this is possible. Nue "Mika´┐Żl PLOUHINEC" <mp@cerealog.fr> wrote in message news:OYVC85KMGHA.668@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I have a NT4 server with Exchange 5.5. Is it possible to limit the size of > the mail (for example 10) for the internals mails independently from > outgoing mail? > > Thanks a lot. > > Mike Neither do...

MS Outlook automatic mails with attachments
Hey folks, So my company does weekly reporting (or is supposed too) via emailing in an excel spreadsheet. of course, reps tend to forget come friday or saturday night, and we end up calling around monday for reports. is there someway to schedule an email to automatially send AND to attach a file from the local hard drive? Then we only have to worry about them shutting down outlook... I've seen a couple add on programs that will do that, but I figure there must be a way to do it without purchasing one of these programs / installing it on all workstations... Thanks in advance... http...

"Mail Has Been Deleted or Moved" Error Message When Synching
When my scheduled email synch between Outlook and my primary email account (verizon.net) occurs, as each new email shows up in my Inbox it is immediately deleted. I receive the following message when attempting to click on an email before it disappears from my Inbox "Mail Has Been Deleted or Moved". I am unable to find this deleted or moved email anywhere, not in the Deleted Folder or any other folder. Upon performing a search in Outlook for mail content (after sending myself mail with specific terms making it easy to search for) there is still no sign of it. This has happ...

Can't delete mail
Hello, I have a piece of junk mail in my Deleted Items box that I can't get rid of. When I try to delete it from the folder, I get the message that I do not have access to the account. I know this isn't true because I have deleted all of the other items. I've tried deleting the folder but have the same problem. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it? Thanks What type of account and what version of Outlook? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New Mail Desktop Ale...

Get Identical Double E-mail Messages
I receive identical double e-mail messages when I receive e-mail. How can I stop getting double messages? Thanks in advance!!! What version of Outlook do you have? What sort of mail account(s)? If you have Outlook 2002, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q284404 may help. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Paul" <alliance@nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:041401c3531c$28f60f70$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I receive identical double e-mail messages when I receive &...

Undeliverable Mail
You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <server name #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 The server sending your mail [207.13.101.242] does not have a reverse DNS entry. Connection Rejected. Please contact your Dial-Up/DSL/Network ISP Provider.> I get this message when sending an email. What exactly does this mean and how do i fix it? Whoever hosts your public DNS for the domain needs to setup a PTR record in the reverse lookup for your mail server. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS I...

SMTP (Outgoing Mail) Issue
Hello, I have a single Exchange 2003 SP2 server that is causing Internet bandwidth issues. I have a packet sniffing program between the Internet and our LAN and it see all outgoing SMTP traffic. This is what is strange. There are multiple SMTP connections open from the Exchange server to multiple SMTP servers on the Internet and the connections are transporting large amounts of data BUT those connections are not showing up in the Queue window. If I stop the SMTP Virtual Service, the connections stop as seen in the packet sniffer. But, as long as the SMTP service is running, these c...

lost a dll
I got a new PDA and it came with Outlook 2002 - which I installed over a perfectly good version of Outlook 2000. Now when I start Outlook I get a message that "unable to open yor default email folders. The DLL for the information service could not be found. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL. Be sure the service is orrectly installed and configured. I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the new version of Outlook which came with the PDA and the version on my Office XP disk several times with the same results Please help me! Thank you What PDA? Did you check ...

recovery of deleted e-mails in Windows Mail
I recently permanently deleted several e-mails from the deleted file and need to recover them. I have seen different software packages claiming to do this. I am not a Geek (no ofense) and just have basic computer skills. My question - are these softward applications easy to use or do you need to to have higher skill levels? Is is safe to download directly from the internet? Any advice would be appreciated. Jake -- Jake428 Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com You can try a file undelete utility, such as Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva Frankly, the success ...

Log in Windows Mail Vista
Dear sir/miss/misses, When I give up my right username and password, Windows Mail won't make aconnection with the server. Do you know a solution for this problem? With kindest regards, Ms. G. Pol "Geerte Pol" <g.pol6@kpnplanet.nl> schreef in bericht news:uErHQ$7iKHA.1236@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Dear sir/miss/misses, > > When I give up my right username and password, Windows Mail won't make > aconnection with the server. Do you know a solution for this problem? > > With kindest regards, > > Ms. G. Pol "Ge...

What does Sync mean in windows live mail?
What does Sync mean in windows live mail? Send and Receive in Windows Live Mail 2009 http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!644.entry -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Bob" <bobbREMOVE-CAPSus99@CAPSyaREMOVE-CAPShoo.com> wrote in message news:eFymNJjoKHA.5464@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > What does Sync mean in windows live mail? What an unbelievable decision. Why change the informative and logical "Send/Receive Mail" in favour of an obscure bit of computer-speak? Bert "Bert Coules" <mal@bertcoules.co.uk&g...

How to Mail Disable a Public Folder Exchange 2000
We have an Exchange 2000 Email Server, Each time a new Public folder gets created for one of our customers, it associates this customer with an email address, and tries to send email. Does anyone know a way to disable the "mail enable" feature in Exchange 2000 System Manager so, that each of the hundreds of public folders stop getting all these SPAM emails? Please help. -Mike When you created a PF, you have to specify is is mail enabled, otherwize it is NOT. if PF is mail enabled, make a right click and select disable mail oz -- Best regards, Good Luck Oz Ozugurlu _________...

Empty mail header crashes Outlook
I constantly recieve mails with a faulty mail header, either omitting the "from" and "to" fields, or with a malformed "message-id" header. These messages stop Outlook from downloading all subsequent messages. I have applied all service packs, patches etc. This applies to Outlook Express and Outlook 2000 (don't know about other versions) Any ideas? ...

Mass e-mail errors when Word access Outlook
Hi; When Word accesses Outlook for a mass e-mail it says 'another program is trying to access outlook automatically to send e-mails' You set it to allow access for 10 minutes, however it continues to ask for every e- mail. Any solutions? I tried adjusting security levels but no luck. Thanks. Lee ...

e-mail unreadable
I'm using Outlook 98 and we're getting e-mails that are unreadable about 50% of the time. The messages are coming from China. I do have Chinnese language support. ...

Can't send mail from other addresses
Hi. I have other old email addresses added to my Windows live so I still receive emails, which I do. However when I try to reply using that email address the server doesn't respond and I'm sure it used to. I get the following :- Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'test' Server: 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No Socket Error: 10053 Any ideas please ? Any...

Mail...
Why is it that some mail in my inbox and in folders is not immediately available when clicking on the message? Instead, I have to wait for it to download. Is there a setting I could change so that all mail remains fully downloaded at all times? Please let me know. Thanks! LJSNYC <LJSNYC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a setting I could change so that all mail remains fully downloaded >at all times? in 2003 (you never mentioned your version): Tools/Options/Send-Receive/Edit Look for the options involving downloading headers. LJSNYC <LJSNYC@discussions.micr...

Chinese Charactor in Mails
when i send any email through the exchange server from the local netweork its received by the destination as chinise charactors i am using exchange 2000 server ols let me know how to solve this problem ...

Outlook 2007 Shared Calendars In Windows Live Mail
I just shared my work calendar in Outlook 2007 and subscribed to it in Windows Live Mail. The name of the calendar is showing up, but none of the calendar items display in Live Mail. When I view the calendar online using the calendars.office.microsoft.com link the data is there. Is there something I need to do in either Outlook or Live Mail to complete the process? Thank you, Robert I have been doing some additional investigating and in the web calendar it is giving me the following error: This calendar wasn't updated because of a problem contacting the publisher. We'll ...

Connection to the DPM service has been lost.
Hi, Every day at 01:00 PM we get the following error: DPM service could be running in recovery mode, which was initiated by the DpmSync tool. If DpmSync is not running and the DPM service is still in recovery mode, then run DpmSync again. Review the application event log for information about a possible service shutdown. Verify that the following services are not disabled: DPM DPM Replication Agent SQLAgent$MS$DPM2007$ MSSQL$MS$DPM2007$ Virtual Disk Service Volume Shadow Copy ID: 917 The Windows Appliation Log gives me the foll...

Missing send button on outgoing mail
The toolbar containing the send button is no longer showing in the window of a newly created e-mail. Making changes to the toolbar options has no effect. I have re- loaded outlook. The only way I can temporarily correct the problem is to use the command line switch to start it in safe mode. Any syggestions? You and I were chatting about this in another thread -- I replied to you there a little while ago. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:73...