Looking for book on Exchange 2010

We currently have an Exchange 2007 environment with about 5000 users.  We're
looking at migrating to Exchange 2010, probably in the next couple of
months.

I am looking for recommendations for a book on Exchange 2010.  Some of our
main areas are in data redundancy and migration from 2007.

The Jim McBee and David Elfassy book, Mastering Exchange Server 2010 was the
one I was looking for first (we've used the "Mastering.." series in the
past), but it looks like it's not going to be released until April.

I came across the "Exchange 2010 Unleashed" that looked like it might be
useful, but found some reviews that it didn't go into much depth on several
of the topics that we'd be looking into (DAG, migration, etc.).

The "Exchange server 2010 Administrators Pocket Consultant" (700 pages, must
be a big pocket!) is out, and since it's a Microsoft Press book, at least it
should be accurate, but I'm not sure how much in depth it goes.

At $60 per book, I want to try to get something that I can use.

Mike O.

0
Mike

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:21:47 -0500, "Mike O." <putthespam@thecan.com>
wrote:

>We currently have an Exchange 2007 environment with about 5000 users.  We're
>looking at migrating to Exchange 2010, probably in the next couple of
>months.
>
>I am looking for recommendations for a book on Exchange 2010.  Some of our
>main areas are in data redundancy and migration from 2007.
>
>The Jim McBee and David Elfassy book, Mastering Exchange Server 2010 was the
>one I was looking for first (we've used the "Mastering.." series in the
>past), but it looks like it's not going to be released until April.
>
>I came across the "Exchange 2010 Unleashed" that looked like it might be
>useful, but found some reviews that it didn't go into much depth on several
>of the topics that we'd be looking into (DAG, migration, etc.).
>
>The "Exchange server 2010 Administrators Pocket Consultant" (700 pages, must
>be a big pocket!) is out, and since it's a Microsoft Press book, at least it
>should be accurate, but I'm not sure how much in depth it goes.
>
>At $60 per book, I want to try to get something that I can use.
>
>Mike O.

I won't do Bill Stanek's book down but it had to have more than on MS
KB article published to correct it. I'd wait for Jim's book.

Wait and play with the product. If you haven't been on the TAP for the
last year you're not going to be in a position to deploy it properly
until April anyway. If you have been using it for a year or so then
you don't need the category of book you have been looking at so far.
0
Mark
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:21:47 -0500, "Mike O." <putthespam@thecan.com>
> wrote:
>
>>We currently have an Exchange 2007 environment with about 5000 users.
>>We're
>>looking at migrating to Exchange 2010, probably in the next couple of
>>months.
>>
>>I am looking for recommendations for a book on Exchange 2010.  Some of our
>>main areas are in data redundancy and migration from 2007.
>>
>>The Jim McBee and David Elfassy book, Mastering Exchange Server 2010 was
>>the
>>one I was looking for first (we've used the "Mastering.." series in the
>>past), but it looks like it's not going to be released until April.
>>
>>I came across the "Exchange 2010 Unleashed" that looked like it might be
>>useful, but found some reviews that it didn't go into much depth on
>>several
>>of the topics that we'd be looking into (DAG, migration, etc.).
>>
>>The "Exchange server 2010 Administrators Pocket Consultant" (700 pages,
>>must
>>be a big pocket!) is out, and since it's a Microsoft Press book, at least
>>it
>>should be accurate, but I'm not sure how much in depth it goes.
>>
>>At $60 per book, I want to try to get something that I can use.
>>
>>Mike O.
>
> I won't do Bill Stanek's book down but it had to have more than on MS
> KB article published to correct it. I'd wait for Jim's book.
>
> Wait and play with the product. If you haven't been on the TAP for the
> last year you're not going to be in a position to deploy it properly
> until April anyway. If you have been using it for a year or so then
> you don't need the category of book you have been looking at so far.

Thanks for the info.

We wouldn't be doing any significant migration for a while (probably at
least a few months), but what I was looking to do was to start getting more
familiar with the changes and maybe do an initial setup in the next month or
so.    I've got some fairly recent hardware available that I can use, at
least for an initial group.  I'd only move a handful of users to it (myself
and some of the other tech staff) at first, but I'd like to get a
configuration pretty close to production so that when we're ready to go
live, I can just add some memory and disk to make it the production box,
then re-use our Exchange 2007 boxes as the redundant servers.

If I'm going to wait on the book, are there any specific whitepapers,
technet articles, etc. that you recommend to get some more information?

MIke O.

0
Mike
1/11/2010 4:41:48 AM
www.msexchange.org
Look at the tutorials.
0
Mark
1/11/2010 12:14:07 PM
The TechNet product documentation is also pretty good.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

"Mike O." <putthespam@thecan.com> wrote in message

> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:21:47 -0500, "Mike O." <putthespam@thecan.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>We currently have an Exchange 2007 environment with about 5000 users.
>>>We're
>>>looking at migrating to Exchange 2010, probably in the next couple of
>>>months.
>>>
>>>I am looking for recommendations for a book on Exchange 2010.  Some of
>>>our
>>>main areas are in data redundancy and migration from 2007.
>>>
>>>The Jim McBee and David Elfassy book, Mastering Exchange Server 2010 was
>>>the
>>>one I was looking for first (we've used the "Mastering.." series in the
>>>past), but it looks like it's not going to be released until April.
>>>
>>>I came across the "Exchange 2010 Unleashed" that looked like it might be
>>>useful, but found some reviews that it didn't go into much depth on
>>>several
>>>of the topics that we'd be looking into (DAG, migration, etc.).
>>>
>>>The "Exchange server 2010 Administrators Pocket Consultant" (700 pages,
>>>must
>>>be a big pocket!) is out, and since it's a Microsoft Press book, at least
>>>it
>>>should be accurate, but I'm not sure how much in depth it goes.
>>>
>>>At $60 per book, I want to try to get something that I can use.
>>>
>>>Mike O.
>>
>> I won't do Bill Stanek's book down but it had to have more than on MS
>> KB article published to correct it. I'd wait for Jim's book.
>>
>> Wait and play with the product. If you haven't been on the TAP for the
>> last year you're not going to be in a position to deploy it properly
>> until April anyway. If you have been using it for a year or so then
>> you don't need the category of book you have been looking at so far.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> We wouldn't be doing any significant migration for a while (probably at
> least a few months), but what I was looking to do was to start getting
> more familiar with the changes and maybe do an initial setup in the next
> month or so.    I've got some fairly recent hardware available that I can
> use, at least for an initial group.  I'd only move a handful of users to
> it (myself and some of the other tech staff) at first, but I'd like to get
> a configuration pretty close to production so that when we're ready to go
> live, I can just add some memory and disk to make it the production box,
> then re-use our Exchange 2007 boxes as the redundant servers.
>
> If I'm going to wait on the book, are there any specific whitepapers,
> technet articles, etc. that you recommend to get some more information?
>
> MIke O.

0
Ed
1/11/2010 3:39:21 PM
Technet documentation is stellar. Some is still being written for 2010, but
I think the information for Exchange is the best across all products.

Also - download Exchange 2010 and use it as a trial in a lab and play with
it.

Oliver

0
Oliver
1/11/2010 4:13:35 PM
On Jan 10, 3:39=A0pm, "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <m...@mvps.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:21:47 -0500, "Mike O." <putthes...@thecan.com>
> wrote:
>

> >We currently have an Exchange 2007 environment with about 5000 users. =
=A0We're
> >looking at migrating to Exchange 2010, probably in the next couple of
> >months.
>
> >I am looking for recommendations for a book on Exchange 2010. =A0Some of=
 our
> >main areas are in data redundancy and migration from 2007.
>
> >The Jim McBee and David Elfassy book, Mastering Exchange Server 2010 was=
 the
> >one I was looking for first (we've used the "Mastering.." series in the
> >past), but it looks like it's not going to be released until April.
>
> >I came across the "Exchange 2010 Unleashed" that looked like it might be
> >useful, but found some reviews that it didn't go into much depth on seve=
ral
> >of the topics that we'd be looking into (DAG, migration, etc.).
>
> >The "Exchange server 2010 Administrators Pocket Consultant" (700 pages, =
must
> >be a big pocket!) is out, and since it's a Microsoft Press book, at leas=
t it
> >should be accurate, but I'm not sure how much in depth it goes.
>
> >At $60 per book, I want to try to get something that I can use.
>
> >Mike O.
>
> I won't do Bill Stanek's book down but it had to have more than on MS
> KB article published to correct it. I'd wait for Jim's book.
>
> Wait and play with the product. If you haven't been on the TAP for the
> last year you're not going to be in a position to deploy it properly
> until April anyway. If you have been using it for a year or so then
> you don't need the category of book you have been looking at so far.- Hid=
e quoted text -

Mark,

I've been looking for books, too, and an Exchange 2010 class I'm
signed up for lists Stanek's "Administrator's Pocket Consultant" as
recommended reading (this is a Microsoft class). Can you tell us more
about the "more than one MS KB article publishd to correct it"?

-RAM
0
RAM
1/13/2010 1:51:02 PM
Google would be your friend on that one. Not big ones but they were
fundamental ones that caused quite a bit of confusion a few years ago.

Bill's more the writer and has been for several years, just like
Minasi. Jim McBee and others are still at the coal face and have a
better take on things.
0
Mark
1/13/2010 4:32:19 PM
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:32:19 -0500, "Mark Arnold [MVP]"
<mark@mvps.org> wrote:

>Google would be your friend on that one. Not big ones but they were
>fundamental ones that caused quite a bit of confusion a few years ago.
>
>Bill's more the writer and has been for several years, just like
>Minasi. Jim McBee and others are still at the coal face and have a
>better take on things.

Gotta agree.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
1/13/2010 5:56:37 PM
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:32:19 -0500, "Mark Arnold [MVP]"
>
> <m...@mvps.org> wrote:
> >Google would be your friend on that one. Not big ones but they were
> >fundamental ones that caused quite a bit of confusion a few years ago.

"a few years ago"?  Are we talking about the Exchange 2010 version or
a previous version? I did a Google search and came up empty as far as
corrections. Also, the Micorosoft Learning/Microsoft Press Book
Support page said to enter the ISBN number of the book on the MS
Knowledgebase to get a listing of articles that would have been
published as corrections, and that came up empty as well.

-RAM
0
RAM
1/14/2010 2:26:14 PM
I bought "Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Unleashed" to give me a good
overview. I am designing an upgrade from Exchange 2003 to 2010 and will be
utilizing DAGs in our environment. This book is pretty good for an overview
but doesn't get into the details. For that I would recommend reading TechNet.

"Mike O." wrote:

> We currently have an Exchange 2007 environment with about 5000 users.  We're
> looking at migrating to Exchange 2010, probably in the next couple of
> months.
>
> I am looking for recommendations for a book on Exchange 2010.  Some of our
> main areas are in data redundancy and migration from 2007.
>
> The Jim McBee and David Elfassy book, Mastering Exchange Server 2010 was the
> one I was looking for first (we've used the "Mastering.." series in the
> past), but it looks like it's not going to be released until April.
>
> I came across the "Exchange 2010 Unleashed" that looked like it might be
> useful, but found some reviews that it didn't go into much depth on several
> of the topics that we'd be looking into (DAG, migration, etc.).
>
> The "Exchange server 2010 Administrators Pocket Consultant" (700 pages, must
> be a big pocket!) is out, and since it's a Microsoft Press book, at least it
> should be accurate, but I'm not sure how much in depth it goes.
>
> At $60 per book, I want to try to get something that I can use.
>
> Mike O.
>
> .

Exchange 5.5 to 2000 migration
Is it possible to migrate an existing 5.5 to 2000 using the same computer name? If you mean separate servers with the same name? No. However, if you setup an E2K server in your Ex5.5 org and move the mailboxes over to the new server name, the Outlook profiles will automatically update (if that is your concern). -- Nick Cavalancia MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI nickc@remove-comsphere.com Comsphere - "Where Knowledge Transfer is Key" Web: http://www.comsphere.com Ph: 954.275.0114 Fax: 954.791.6763 "Concrete" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6b7c01c401...

HTML Attachment in OWA on Exchange 2000

One domain on exchange server not accepting connections
I setup a second domain on an Exchange 2003 server, and thought everything was working. Now, though, mail going to the second domain gets rejected, but mail going to the original domain is still working. I can telnet to the original domain, but not to the second domain. I've checked everything I know to check (I've setup plenty of domains on Exchange servers, so I believe I've gotten the setting correct), but I just can't get it to work. The MX records are correct, and mail.theseconddomain.com resolves to the right IP address (the same IP as mail.originaldomain.com), so it sh...

Looking for guidance on integrating large assembler content into VC project.
I have a quite large block of assembler code, 50 subroutines accessed via just a couple of top level subs. I want to access these top level subs from my VC7 project. I have looked at the __asm inline assembler option but can't see how I can author the subs properly. Should I be using MASM ? Could somebody please advise? "Jo" <usenet_AT_tecno.demon.co.uk@JUNKBLOCK.COM> wrote in message news:a19emvshanokh7qb19ir13o13thlotk0p0@4ax.com... > I have a quite large block of assembler code, 50 subroutines accessed > via just a couple of top level subs. I want to access the...

exchange 2003 Pop3 access #2
I'm trying to publish smtp and pop3 through isa. neither of the server publishing rules smtp or pop3 work properly. I was able to work around the smtp portion by configuring smtp virtual server on isa then forwarding to the exchange server. so on to pop3 for this scenario: 10.0.0.2 = exchange server ip 10.0.0.1 = isa internal 10.1.0.1 = isa dmz 60.60.60.60 = public ip address of mail server (nat by firewall to dmz interface of isa) I used mail server publishing to publish pop3 from "external" to "10.0.0.2" Following the tuturial on isaserver.org still I am ...

Contacts are not listed in address book
When I open my address book, there are only two contacts. When I open my contact list it lists all my contacts. What do I need to do to get my full contact list into my address book? Depends a bit on what you have done so far and which version you have. You have given us very little information. Try this: right click your Contacts folder | Address Book | set as an Outlook addess book (tick the box). If it doesn't work, tell us version and how you got your Contacts into Outlook (import etc). -- Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook "Docmoney" <Do...

Exchange Server error message
I'm getting this error message from our exchange server 'error 552 too much mail data'. We have enough disk space on the server and we have no limits configured. Any ideas would be appreciated. "techman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm getting this error message from our exchange >server 'error 552 too much mail data'. We have enough disk >space on the server and we have no limits configured. Any >ideas would be appreciated. Does this happen for ALL messages, or just some? It may be that the message contains a line ...

Send-as/Send of behalf Exchange 2k -> 2k3
We've allowed user under our old Exchange 2K server to send emails with different From: addresses (vs the "send on behalf of" option). This worked fine for Contacts and Dept mailboxes (which is just another user), if the users got "Send-As" rights under the security tab for the Contact or Dept mailbox. Now, having migrated to Exchange 2K3, things are different. There have been various posts around, but either I missed the solution/enlightment to my problem or ... [Contacts] After the migration to the new server, users still can sent emails as before with a contact in...

Installed Exchange 2003 Server on new Hardwar... How to get rid of old Exchange 2000 Server?
Hi, Our single domain company (Win 2000 DC's) was running a single Exchange 2000 server. I bought a new server, installed Windows 2003 Server on it, joined it to the domian (non-DC) and then installed Exchange 2003 Server on that and joined it to the site. I then pointed our MX records towards the new box. As soon as I verified connectivity, I began moving user's mailboxes over 1 by 1. Everyone is now running smoothly on the new server. I have not as of yet removed the old server (still on, running, no mialboxes). The problem is, that as soon as I turn off the old Exchange 2000 s...

Move worksheet to new book
I have 14 worksheets within a workbook. In the middle are worksheets named Sheet1, Sheet2....Sheet10 Is it possible using a macro to see if there is anything written in cell A1 on Sheet1, and if there is, then move it to a new book, and then check Sheet2 and so on? And if there is no information on the worksheet I would like to delete it. TIA Try this against a copy (since it destroys worksheets): Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim wks As Worksheet Dim iCtr As Long Dim wkbk As Workbook Set wkbk = ActiveWorkbook For iCtr = 1 To 10 'sheet1 throu...

Microsoft Active Directory
I am getting the following error when trying to modify anything on the Exchange General Tab of a user object: The operation failed. ID no: 80004005 Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension I believe this is a permissions issue. Any ideas? Does this happen to all user objects ? What permissions do you have ? Are any of the fields on the user object not completed i.e. initials, first name, display name etc as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314034/en-us Regards Paul Ford Edge IT Ltd "COT-AD" <COTAD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C50D72ED-...

First Exchange instal
I just got SBS installed and also configured Exchange (i think). I added an MX record on my hosting account that points to my no-ip.com DNS service. I can send mail fine but i am not recieving. Do i need to contact the Hosting company? ISP? or no-ip.com? Troubleshooting steps when you don't receive internet email: - Since you can send internet mail it is assumed that SMTP service and SMTP virtual server are running, and Store is mounted. 1. Check default email addresses of users - these are the ones shown in the mail attribute and also the ones that start with upper-case SMTP: on th...

Issue when using Outlook 2003 on Exchange 5.5 SP4
Hi! I have seen issues on using Outlook 2003 on MS Exchange 5.5 SP4. Can anyone guide me on how to handle this? M P What issues have you seen? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "M P" <mark@textguru.ph> wrote in message news:eoqSaBjTGHA.5884@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi! > > I have seen issues on using Outlook 2003 on MS Exchange 5.5 SP4. Can > anyone guide me on how to handle this? > > M P > It was pretty easy for me to find this in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft...

Exchange no longer available
Courtesy of Katrina, my brother-in-law's job and Exchange server are no more. He knows he has personal folders and contacts on his laptop, but Outlook choles on not connecting to Exchange and won't let him see the local stuff either. How does one tell Outlook not to try to connect to Exchange and instead use the local pst file? It might be easier to create a new profile and then use File Open to access the personal folder file, you create a new profile in Control Panel || Mail <philmcin@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1126736961.961262.92120@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... ...

Exchange 2010 & Active Sync
Hi All, Running Exchange 2010. I have my phone (iphone 3gs) syncing with exchange 2010 perfectly. However, trying to sync a new plam pro (win mobile 6.1) and getting errors. I think it's the account as doing a test-ActiveSync-Connectivity gives the following: Any ideas? RunspaceId : 962cea80-32ae-4e60-a5f1-67ed96cab519 LocalSite : Default-First-Site-Name SecureAccess : True VirtualDirectoryName : Url : UrlType : Unknown Port : 0 ConnectionType...

Exporting just an address book?
I am wondering if there is a way to export just a address book and not the whole .pst folder. Any hints would be appreciated... I am running on a Domain so I dont have a Exchange Server on site. Thanks, ...

Schedule Exchange PS scripts
Can anyone point me at a reference on how to schedule powershell scripts for Exchange? I have tried a reference I found, but it doesn't work with Exchange powershell: powershell -nologo -noninteractive -command " {C:\PSScripts\script.ps1}" I tried this instead, but it states that & isn't allowed. Removing it didn't work either. C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -PSConsoleFile "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\bin\exshell.psc1" -noexit -command ". 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\bin\Exchange.ps...

Exchange 2K3 SP1 Error
I have sucessfully created and mounted an RSG on my Exchange 2003 SP1 server. My problem is when i right click any mailbox in the RSG from the ESM that's name contains a comma (Kleinpeter, Rob) i get error: An Invalid dn syntax has been specified. Facility: LDAP Providor ID no: 80072032 Exchange System Manager This does not happen in the live database or in the RGS with names that do not contain commas. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. RK ...

Exchange Only accepting replied emails
I am working with exchange server 2003, it relays all local mail fine and all outbound mail fine, but it is only accepting replies to messages that have been sent from the domain so if someone creates a new message to send to a domain recipient they get NDR you do not have permission to send to this recipient. If anyone can lead me in the right direction on this matter it would be greatly appreciated thanks.. In news:1172526956.402418.21930@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com, AdonisL81@gmail.com <AdonisL81@gmail.com> typed: > I am working with exchange server 2003, it relays all local m...

Outlook address book #11
Anyone know how to set the outlook address book to list the contacts by last name followed by first name? The default seems to be first name followed by last name.I have tried the settings under tools > options > contact options, but these settings only seem to effect how the actual contacts are files in outlook and do not change how they appear in the address book. I know it was possible to change this in earlier versions of outlook, but for some reason I can not locate how to do this in 2003. The problem this creates in when searching for an e-mail address, one needs to know the fir...

Good MFC Book
I have taken a few courses on C/C++ but they never taught me how to make programs with real GUI. We always used the command prompt. So I've decided that I'd like to learn to use MFC. I have noticed that there are several MFC tutorials and articles online, but I'm really looking for some suggestions on a good book. Nothing aginst the online versions, but they can be rough on they eyes after a while. Can anyone give me a few good book suggesions? I have an excellent understanding of C/C++ control structures, classes, etc. so I am looking for a book that goes right into the g...

Outlook 2003 SP1 and Exchange 2003
user at times accepts a meeting request, but meeting does not show up in there calander. Also when they accept the tracking information does not get updated on the senders end or if the sender cancels the meeting it is not deleting it from the attendees calander. Any Idea's? Thank you, ...

Can't install Exchange 2003.
Hi, I'm having an issue where I can't proceed with the "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" installation wizard. I'm stuck at the "Component Selection" and when I chose one of the action given, I will get these errors : "..has an unknown installation problem" "..encountered an error while checking the prerequisites for the component exchange.." Before that during the initial setup, I was getting this error : "Exchange Server 2003 has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows. For more information, refe...

Exchange 2003 + 0x800CCC0f
Dear all, i have a problem on ex 2003 which using POP3 service, i did setup a client using outlook pop3 service, he can't send out the email. but he can download email from the server side, i did telnet 25, 110 is work in his pc, moreover, i did check that enable auth. required in outlook. pls advise! Remark: using OWA and is ok ! ...

Restoring Exchange Data
HI. I experienced a crash with my Windows 2000 server which is the Global Catalog and dns server. Anyhow in my infinite wisdom I decided to do soemthing with the exchange server and in the meantime - it blew any active directory info which had replicated to the exchange server. The Exchange server was a part of the domain with AD installed, etc. The exch. server is a running windows 2003 server w/ exch. server 2003. Fast forward...I rebuilt the Windows 2000 server and its backup. I also rebuilt the Exchange Server...not completely knowing how to proceed....I installed w2k3 with all ...