Little help, 5.5 to 2k3 migration problems (long)

Hi,

First post here, so I apologise in advance if I get anything too wrong, or
it's too long.

I had Exch 5.5 running on a Win2k domain controller, 60 odd users, some
public folders, some delegate access etc.  I decided to migrate the system
to a Win2003 / Exchange 2k3 server, following the deployment instaurations
on the CD.

*Note: on further investigation on the KB, it seems that I should have run
the 5.5 DS/IS constancy checker before the migration to iron out any ACL/AD
issues - this wasn't done.  I have also discovered that my original ex5.5
site name contained invalid characters-this was renamed prior to the
install, but might have caused problems?

Once the migration had taken place I have a Win2k3 / Exch2k3 server,
functioning properly, co-existing with my 5.5 server.  However problems
arise when I shutdown the 5.5 server.  'Some' users are then unable to
access the free-busy info., public folders, and delegate access (however
replication seems to have worked between the old server and the new one).

Can anyone offer some pointers as to the correct course of investigation /
action to resolve these issues?  I'm going to be investigating these issues
this weekend, and I'm planning to follow the instructions for removing the
last 5.5 server from the site, (removing the connectors etc.) then resetting
the permissions on the public / system folders etc. on the 2k3 server hoping
that this will restore the users rights.

Thanks for reading this far, and any pointers will be gratefully received.

Box

0
Boxington

Follow the steps in the link attached to confirm you have not missed any
steps during the migration:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];316886

--
Nicholas Basile(MSFT)
nicbas@online.microsoft.com

Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes
only!.

"Boxington Headmaker" <the_boxhead@alt{2000+600}.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> First post here, so I apologise in advance if I get anything too wrong, or
> it's too long.
>
> I had Exch 5.5 running on a Win2k domain controller, 60 odd users, some
> public folders, some delegate access etc.  I decided to migrate the system
> to a Win2003 / Exchange 2k3 server, following the deployment instaurations
> on the CD.
>
> *Note: on further investigation on the KB, it seems that I should have run
> the 5.5 DS/IS constancy checker before the migration to iron out any
ACL/AD
> issues - this wasn't done.  I have also discovered that my original ex5.5
> site name contained invalid characters-this was renamed prior to the
> install, but might have caused problems?
>
> Once the migration had taken place I have a Win2k3 / Exch2k3 server,
> functioning properly, co-existing with my 5.5 server.  However problems
> arise when I shutdown the 5.5 server.  'Some' users are then unable to
> access the free-busy info., public folders, and delegate access (however
> replication seems to have worked between the old server and the new one).
>
> Can anyone offer some pointers as to the correct course of investigation /
> action to resolve these issues?  I'm going to be investigating these
issues
> this weekend, and I'm planning to follow the instructions for removing the
> last 5.5 server from the site, (removing the connectors etc.) then
resetting
> the permissions on the public / system folders etc. on the 2k3 server
hoping
> that this will restore the users rights.
>
> Thanks for reading this far, and any pointers will be gratefully received.
>
> Box

0
nicbas (128)
5/7/2004 10:17:29 AM
"Nicholas Basile(MSFT)" <nicbas@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Follow the steps in the link attached to confirm you have not missed any
> steps during the migration:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];316886
>
> --
> Nicholas Basile(MSFT)
> nicbas@online.microsoft.com
> Microsoft PSS
>
> Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes
> only!.
rights.

Thanks,

On review of that document it appears that not running the DS/IS adjuster
before migrating public folders has caused the errors that I'm seeing.

What wold be the correct way to resolve these issuses?

I'm presuming that since I've already migrated the public folders that
running the adjuster now is a waste of time?  Do I need to move the public
folders back to the 5.5 machine, run the adjusters, and the re-migrate them?
Is there a simpler solution?

Thanks,
Box

0
Boxington
5/7/2004 10:39:50 AM
I'm assuming your running into the ACL conversion problems like the event id
9551's?
If so, we have registry work arounds.  However, the cleanest way to handle
if 5.5 is still there is to remove the replicas from the 200x side, run the
DS/Is to remove unknown user accounts, and re-replicate.

--

> "Nicholas Basile(MSFT)" <nicbas@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Follow the steps in the link attached to confirm you have not missed any
> > steps during the migration:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];316886
> >
> > --
> > Nicholas Basile(MSFT)
> > nicbas@online.microsoft.com
> > Microsoft PSS
> >
> > Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup
purposes
> > only!.
> rights.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On review of that document it appears that not running the DS/IS adjuster
> before migrating public folders has caused the errors that I'm seeing.
>
> What wold be the correct way to resolve these issuses?
>
> I'm presuming that since I've already migrated the public folders that
> running the adjuster now is a waste of time?  Do I need to move the public
> folders back to the 5.5 machine, run the adjusters, and the re-migrate
them?
> Is there a simpler solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Box

0
nicbas (128)
5/7/2004 11:15:34 AM
> I'm assuming your running into the ACL conversion problems like the event
id
> 9551's?
> If so, we have registry work arounds.  However, the cleanest way to handle
> if 5.5 is still there is to remove the replicas from the 200x side, run
the
> DS/Is to remove unknown user accounts, and re-replicate.
>
> --
> Nicholas Basile(MSFT)
> nicbas@online.microsoft.com
> Microsoft PSS

<snip>

That's exactly what's happening.  I'll do as you suggest this weekend.  Are
there any documnets describing how to remove, and recreate the replicas?

Thans again,
Box

0
Boxington
5/7/2004 11:28:10 AM
Have you seen
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328287

Boxington Headmaker wrote:

> "Nicholas Basile(MSFT)" <nicbas@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm assuming your running into the ACL conversion problems like the event
>
> id
>
>>9551's?
>>If so, we have registry work arounds.  However, the cleanest way to handle
>>if 5.5 is still there is to remove the replicas from the 200x side, run
>
> the
>
>>DS/Is to remove unknown user accounts, and re-replicate.
>>
>>--
>>Nicholas Basile(MSFT)
>>nicbas@online.microsoft.com
>>Microsoft PSS
>>

> <snip>
>
> That's exactly what's happening.  I'll do as you suggest this weekend.  Are
> there any documnets describing how to remove, and recreate the replicas?
>
> Thans again,
> Box

0
kpalagin5422 (293)
5/7/2004 7:36:08 PM
"Nicholas Basile(MSFT)" <nicbas@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm assuming your running into the ACL conversion problems like the event
id
> 9551's?
> If so, we have registry work arounds.  However, the cleanest way to handle
> if 5.5 is still there is to remove the replicas from the 200x side, run
the
> DS/Is to remove unknown user accounts, and re-replicate.
>
> --
> Nicholas Basile(MSFT)
> nicbas@online.microsoft.com
> Microsoft PSS
>
> Please do not send email directly to this alias is for newsgroup purposes
> only!.
rights.

Many thanks for your help, rehomed the public folders from 5.5 to 2003, and
removed the 5.5 from the organisation.  Switched to native mode, and all is
well.

cheers,
Box

0
Boxington

Delete Query Please help
How do I delete the contents of column? I have a table where I need to empty the contents of a column(field) there are thousands of records. There are some records that have data in this field I need to make this field blank for all the records in the table. How do I this please? Thank you for any help. Update yourTableName set columnName = ""; "TotallyConfused" wrote: > How do I delete the contents of column? I have a table where I need to empty > the contents of a column(field) there are thousands of records. There are > some records that have da...

5.2.1 NDR
I have an issue with users unable to send messages to mail-enabled public folders in the same organization. Email can be sent to the public folder from outside. I found this is a pretty common issue but nothing helped resolve my issue. It appears to be fixed in SP2 however I am still having problems. I looked at the KB articles listed below and verified the Anonymous user has the appropriate rights. I see there was a hotfix in Exchange 2003 RTM and SP1. I also looked at all the AD permissions and the Exchange Enterprise Server group has permissions that was mentioned in various...

Login problem with Money 2006
I just tried logging on my Money 2006 software, but I can't even get in. My microsoft passport network login (email address) and password are good, I can check my email online, and my computer is online as well. What can I do to get back online to start the conversion with my banking that I've read about here as well. Thanks, In microsoft.public.money, River wrote: >I just tried logging on my Money 2006 software, but I can't even get in. My >microsoft passport network login (email address) and password are good, I can >check my email online, and my computer is ...

CListCtrl with owner data and tooltip missing problem
I've a CListView derived class with owner data style and report view. My tooltip gets displayed and then overdrawn repeatedly. Traces in my lvn_getdispinfo and ttn_needtext handlers get called repeatedly. Are there known problems with tooltips and owner data? Any Ideas? Thanks, Jeff F ...

Exchange 5.5 uninstall/retire
Hello friends: I would like to retire/decommission one of our Exchange 5.5 servers, currently this server exists in a Exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 mixed environment (under single organization). My question is what is the best way to retire this machine, this exchange server does not have information store, and it is not the last exchange 5.5 server in the exchange organization. Thanks for your help. On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:14:01 -0400, "Cody" <none> wrote: >Hello friends: > >I would like to retire/decommission one of our Exchange 5.5 servers, >currently this ...

Problem moving mailbox between Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000
Hi! I'm trying to move mailbox between Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000 using the MS ADUC. Everything works well - the wizard shows that move operation was successfull but after the move operation I've noticed that moved mailbox exists on source server and destination server. All mail messages are moved to the new server. On the source server the home server property (home-mdb) didn't change. I've tried to follow the XADM: How to Prevent Mail Loss When Move Mailbox Operation Is Unsuccessful. When I change the home-mdb and home-mta properties the account dissapears from the source...

Help!! sort address field by street, then number??
Is there a way to accomplish this feat?? cell data "7004 Brookville Rd" need the file by street name , then by number. All suggestions deeply appreciated. Keef If you're lucky you could use Data|Text to columns. To separate pieces into individual columns. But I've never been lucky enough to get 100% -- lots of manual effort may be required. Keefer wrote: > > Is there a way to accomplish this feat?? > cell data > "7004 Brookville Rd" > need the file by street name , then by number. > > All suggestions deeply appreciated. > > Keef...

Can I have two Internet Mail Services in one Exchange 5.5 Organiza
Hello, My current environment consists of 6 mailbox servers and one server hosting the internet mail service (Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000). I need to use one of the 6 mailbox servers for a product that will need to route outbound mail to another server for other secure outbound services while the other 5 servers route to the current internet mail service. Is this possible? Can I add a secondary internet mail service just for this one server? I am not able to find any knowledge base articles for assistance. Thanks in advance! On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:36:10 -0700, "exadm" &l...

Query Help 03-28-07
I have 1 question regarding the following query. I need to know why when I run the query it is prompting me for the date 2 times. SELECT qry_AMUWork_Rcd_Date.DateRcd, tblCorrWork.Frequency, tblCorrWork.RptName, tblCorrWork.MISNumber FROM qry_AMUWork_Rcd_Date LEFT JOIN tblCorrWork ON qry_AMUWork_Rcd_Date.MISNumber = tblCorrWork.MISNumber WHERE (((([tblCorrWork].[MISNumber])=85 Or ([tblCorrWork].[MISNumber])=69 Or ([tblCorrWork].[MISNumber])=71 Or ([tblCorrWork].[MISNumber])=74 Or ([tblCorrWork].[MISNumber])=80 Or ([tblCorrWork].[MISNumber])=81 Or ([tblCorrWork].[MISNumber])=92 Or ([tb...

Problems
When i try and log onto Money deluxe 2004 it requires me to get online everytime - there used to be a button that let me skup that option, but now it is gone. I heard you have to download something to fix that but dont know where to go. I also always press "remember my passwords" but everytime i have to enter it. Is this part of the same problem or a different one? I have never been here before so i am sure these will be very simple questions to some of you but i am grateful for your time and would really appreciate any help. thanks again. Matthew - skyvend@aol.com I...

Background image becomes dark after adding watermark, need help.
I want to add text on bitmap,the following is the implementation. After adding text watermark, I find text watermark is added on the bitmap, while the bitmap is complete dark.The bitmap I used is not a dark image. That is to say,generating bitmap only contain watermark,not including original bitmap information.I still don't find the bug to the function and do hope someone could give me some clues,thanks in advance. //pBitmap: the original bitmap //BitmapNew: the bitmap created after processed the original bitmap //iSize: text font size //strText: text stuff //color: text color void AddTex...

Problems with downloading from bank site
My Money file was up-to-date when my XP computer crashed. The new computer is Vista. Trying to recover with a backup that was three weeks old, I down loaded what I thought were the transactions I missed. Unfortunately, there were about $2,000 worth of transactions missed. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, John In microsoft.public.money, vinturella wrote: >My Money file was up-to-date when my XP computer crashed. The new computer is >Vista. Trying to recover with a backup that was three weeks old, I down >loaded what I thought were the transactions I missed. Unfortunately, t...

Problems during Outlook 2003 start
Greetings to Everybody I've a problem during the start of Outlook 2003: Last week I've installed and removed the program Motorola Mobile Phone Tools. Now everytime that I start outlook appears an error message about the impossibility to found a DLL called Out97.dll placed in the folde c:\programmi\mobile phone tools. In the error message is written to try to use the option "Rileva Problemi e ripristina" in the menu ?(English translation is about Find Problems and reset" but I don't think that in the English version of Outlook the menu is called like this) but if I ch...

Excel 2007: Problem with refresh screen (when minimizied)
Hello On our network (around 40 workstations; Win XP Pro and Office 2007) we have particular the following problem: The user minimized the Excel programm window and do some other works in other applications, return to the minimized Excel window and want to maximize the Excel window. Result: The Excel window is empty. You can paricular see some rows or colums but often not. We try out also other graphic card but get no success. Any ideas? Kind regards, Martin Schweizer ...

Problem adding new record in form view
Hi there, I have inherited an acccess database and have had to do some troubleshooting on an error message which is now sorted out. I now am unable to add a new record in form view, however if I enter the information directly into the table there is no problem. Please could you help with what might be going wrong? Thanks -- Snoozi Suzi Open the form in design view. Open the properties window for the form. Is the Allow Additions property set to yes? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "SnooziSuzi" <SnooziSuzi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message n...

Windows 7 Mail problem 12-08-09
Using Windows 7 Professional with a Gmail account. I installed Windows Live Mail and it works - but. Whenever I Sync (F5) it takes a long time and sometimes indicates the server is not connected too. Do I want to wait and I answer yes - then it proceeds VERY SLOWLY? Is there a problem with Google Gmail and Syncing mail? Is there something I missed in the setup? thx You'll find support for Windows Live Mail (WLMail) in this public newsgroup: microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop Via the web-interface: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/...

help with code on event call
Hi I am unsure how to code the following the table I am working on is Baan I am selecting the record using the orderNo field but depending if the field IcyDate empty or not I will open different forms the code I have in the event call at the moment is below and where I have put the ***** is where I need an if statement to see if the field IcyDate is empty or not Private Sub But_SelONo_Click() On Error GoTo Err_But_SelONo_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String Dim intcount As Integer intcount = DLookup("[Count-O-N]", "[Qu-cmm-countor...

Need help with format
I have 2,000 players in football pool game. What would be a format I'd use. How will I be able to find the player with the least amount of mistakes? Thanks, R2ri =Index(A:A,Match(min(B:B),B:B,0),1) Assume names are in column A, count of mistakes in column B if there is a tie for least amount, the player in the lowest numbered row with the least amount will be shown. Also look in Excel Help for the RANK function. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy R2ri <ron_2ri2ri@yahoo.comn> wrote in message news:339b01c37a44$ea707830$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have 2,000 players in football pool g...

Exchange 5.5 E mail message
I have one user who: Gets E-mails about one month after the sent date and two gets a message in those one month old E-mails; from legitimate people that says: "No Message collected". I read on the internet, that AOL Had this "No Message collected" problem. I called and talked to an AOL mail administrator and he knew nothing about this problem. Anyone have any ideas what is wrong here. TIA, Jess tsqr55@yahoo.com "Jess" <Jess@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have one user who: Gets E-mails about one month after the sent date and >two ge...

Please help me with a couple of VBA related Word questions... than
1. If a group of users have a common template installed on their machine, and they are all sent a document created with that template, is the appropriate corresponding template identified by its filename, or by its fully-qualified-folder-path-filename (which could be in different locations on different client machines), or something else? 2. Can VBA code be separated from the document and distributed separately from the document? 3. What's the best way of distributing changes to a VBA macro? Thank you for your help I do not have the facilities to the check a...

Printing problem on a terminal server
Hi, I created an application that does some printing with MFC (7.1). When I do a print preview or I print, every thing works fine. However, when I try to do a print preview or if I try to print from within terminal server, then all the fonts are very small (they look like 1pt high). What am I doing wrong (or what should I do)? This is a sample of my code LOGFONT font; ::ZeroMemory(&font, sizeof(font)); _tcscpy(font.lfFaceName, _T("Courier New")); font.lfHeight = -MulDiv(75, pDC->GetDeviceCaps(LOGPIXELSY), 2540); // 7.5 pts font.lfWidth = 0; font.lfEscapement = 0; font.lfOr...

Bank Reconciliation problem/question
In working on the reconciliation we've run across several transactions in the bank reconciliation screen that, in fact, are in a different checkbook than the one being reconcilied. As an example, we were reconciling our JPMorganChase bank account and one of the deposits listed in the screen is number 00000000000000000021 for $127,024.77 dated 2/22/06. However, this deposit, when zoomed in on, is actually in another of our checkbooks. It doesn't show up in the checkbook inquiry for Chase nor did it hit the g/l account associated with the Chase checkbook. There was a deposit wit...

Calculation problem where a fixed charge is involved
Forgive me for asking guidance on something which is probably quite simple. I've set up a worksheet to calculate all the hidden costs of on-line auctions and it is the PayPal aspect that is giving me grief. PayPal charge me 3.4% + 20p per transaction. If I use: =SUM(B2*0.034+0.2)and C2 and D2 and so on... ....it obviously gives me the right answer but, if I just enter the formula at the beginning of posting sales and before any purchase or bid has been made, when I want a nil balance to show, this method shows 20p. How do I amend the formula for that aspect so that the 20p set c...

Problems running Duplicate Detection in CRM 4.0 in web interface
When I click on Workplace -> Duplicate Detection, I receive the following error: "Error: An error has occurred. Try this action again. If the problem continues, check the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Community for solutions or contact your organizations's Microsoft Dynamics CRM Administrator. Finally, you can contact Microsoft Support." Duplicate detection is enabled and there are several duplication rules that have also been created. Those rules also can be published without error. In researching this error, the only thing I can find that has been suggested is that there i...

SMTP Connector Problems
If I have a SMTP Connecter (Exchange 2000) to my ISP and have all e-mails forward to the ISP. Does the Connector route incoming mail or is that direct from the senders E-mail servers? "Mike" <thisisafakeaddress@yahoo.com> wrote: >If I have a SMTP Connecter (Exchange 2000) to my ISP and have all e-mails >forward to the ISP. Does the Connector route incoming mail or is that >direct from the senders E-mail servers? Mail may arrive directly from a transmitting server, or you may have your mail collected at the ISP and delivered to your server either when yu connect ...