Junk Mail Filtering using Internet Header Information

I am installing an Exchange 2003 Server that is behind a Mirapoint MD450
appliance that has virus and spam filtering. This new Exchange Server is
replacing a SUN Mail system. Currently, the MD450 inserts information into
the Internet Header giving a junk mail weighting factor that the SUN Mail
system evaluates and depending on the value sends the mail to the user's
Junk Folder. The information that is inserted in the header is in the form

I have installed the Intelligent Message Filter, which uses some sort of SDL
factor for determining whether something is junk or not. Is there a way to
use the information that is inserted by the MD450 to determine whether it's
junk or not?

Also, how does that Intellignet Message Filter work? I've installed it on
another client, set the junk factor to SDL=6, but they're still getting a
lot of spam coming in.

The IMF won't use your custom header, but you could have Mirapoint insert
the SCL header based on the relative spam confidence.

There are some good articles on the IMF on the EHLO blog.
http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/

I like the inexpensive Vamsoft ORFilter solution as a front-end to IMF to
get really thorough spam filtering.

"Paul Goldman" <paulgoldman1948@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am installing an Exchange 2003 Server that is behind a Mirapoint MD450
>appliance that has virus and spam filtering. This new Exchange Server is
>replacing a SUN Mail system. Currently, the MD450 inserts information into
>the Internet Header giving a junk mail weighting factor that the SUN Mail
>system evaluates and depending on the value sends the mail to the user's
>Junk Folder. The information that is inserted in the header is in the form
>
> I have installed the Intelligent Message Filter, which uses some sort of
> SDL factor for determining whether something is junk or not. Is there a
> way to use the information that is inserted by the MD450 to determine
> whether it's junk or not?
>
> Also, how does that Intellignet Message Filter work? I've installed it on
> another client, set the junk factor to SDL=6, but they're still getting a
> lot of spam coming in.

0
awebb7472 (650)
2/26/2006 7:02:12 AM
You can integrate any anti-spam filtering into Exchange as explained here:
http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/012/filter2exchange.htm

Adding IMF to other anti-spam solutions can greatly harden spam filtering
this is discussed in detail here:
http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/019/secondfilter.htm

cheers,

Alexander Zammit
WinDeveloper Software
IMF Tune - Unleash the Full Intelligent Message Filter Power
http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/

"Paul Goldman" <paulgoldman1948@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am installing an Exchange 2003 Server that is behind a Mirapoint MD450
>appliance that has virus and spam filtering. This new Exchange Server is
>replacing a SUN Mail system. Currently, the MD450 inserts information into
>the Internet Header giving a junk mail weighting factor that the SUN Mail
>system evaluates and depending on the value sends the mail to the user's
>Junk Folder. The information that is inserted in the header is in the form
>
> I have installed the Intelligent Message Filter, which uses some sort of
> SDL factor for determining whether something is junk or not. Is there a
> way to use the information that is inserted by the MD450 to determine
> whether it's junk or not?
>
> Also, how does that Intellignet Message Filter work? I've installed it on
> another client, set the junk factor to SDL=6, but they're still getting a
> lot of spam coming in.

0
Alexander
2/26/2006 11:01:21 AM
Does the IMF assign the SCL factor or does it depend an outside process to
do the assignment? I am running the IMF on my Exchange 2003 Server, but seem
to be getting a ton of SPAM and nothing is going into my Junk Mail folder. I
have set the SCL to 6 at the server.

"andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
> The IMF won't use your custom header, but you could have Mirapoint insert
> the SCL header based on the relative spam confidence.
>
> There are some good articles on the IMF on the EHLO blog.
> http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/
>
> I like the inexpensive Vamsoft ORFilter solution as a front-end to IMF to
> get really thorough spam filtering.
>

> "Paul Goldman" <paulgoldman1948@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am installing an Exchange 2003 Server that is behind a Mirapoint MD450
>>appliance that has virus and spam filtering. This new Exchange Server is
>>replacing a SUN Mail system. Currently, the MD450 inserts information into
>>the Internet Header giving a junk mail weighting factor that the SUN Mail
>>system evaluates and depending on the value sends the mail to the user's
>>Junk Folder. The information that is inserted in the header is in the form
>>
>> I have installed the Intelligent Message Filter, which uses some sort of
>> SDL factor for determining whether something is junk or not. Is there a
>> way to use the information that is inserted by the MD450 to determine
>> whether it's junk or not?
>>
>> Also, how does that Intellignet Message Filter work? I've installed it on
>> another client, set the junk factor to SDL=6, but they're still getting a
>> lot of spam coming in.

If emails are not going to Junk than make sure the Junk E-mail Folder is
enalbed at the client. This is how you do it manually:
http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/007/enablejunk.htm

This is how you do it through scripting:
http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/008/centraljunk.htm

> Does the IMF assign the SCL factor or does it depend an outside process to
> do the assignment? I am running the IMF on my Exchange 2003 Server, but
> seem to be getting a ton of SPAM and nothing is going into my Junk Mail
> folder. I have set the SCL to 6 at the server.
>
> "andy webb" <awebb@swinc.com.spamsucks.com> wrote in message
>> The IMF won't use your custom header, but you could have Mirapoint insert
>> the SCL header based on the relative spam confidence.
>>
>> There are some good articles on the IMF on the EHLO blog.
>> http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/
>>
>> I like the inexpensive Vamsoft ORFilter solution as a front-end to IMF to
>> get really thorough spam filtering.
>>

>> "Paul Goldman" <paulgoldman1948@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I am installing an Exchange 2003 Server that is behind a Mirapoint MD450
>>>appliance that has virus and spam filtering. This new Exchange Server is
>>>replacing a SUN Mail system. Currently, the MD450 inserts information
>>>into the Internet Header giving a junk mail weighting factor that the SUN
>>>Mail system evaluates and depending on the value sends the mail to the
>>>user's Junk Folder. The information that is inserted in the header is in
>>>the form "X-Junkmail-Status: score=24/50, host=md450.xxxxx.com".
>>>
>>> I have installed the Intelligent Message Filter, which uses some sort of
>>> SDL factor for determining whether something is junk or not. Is there a
>>> way to use the information that is inserted by the MD450 to determine
>>> whether it's junk or not?
>>>
>>> Also, how does that Intellignet Message Filter work? I've installed it
>>> on another client, set the junk factor to SDL=6, but they're still
>>> getting a lot of spam coming in.

0
Alexander

Check important pack for MS Internet Explorer
--eojfcwbasc Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="agtsvbarlkrqvjpnc"; type="multipart/alternative" --agtsvbarlkrqvjpnc Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="tmpcbwupucpalmpj" --tmpcbwupucpalmpj Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. In...

POP3 Internet Mail Question
I am running 1 windows 2003 server with Exchange 2003 on it. This server hosts our internal & external email for our domain name xxx.com However we have another domain name (xxy.com) that we use for internet mail that is hosted by another provider. We would like to bring this in-house and host it on our exchange server. Is there a way to configure the exchange server to host internet mail (Pop3 accounts) with a different domain name? What is the best way to set this up? thanks =?Utf-8?B?Z2tyYXNub2Zm?= <gkras19@aol.com> wrote in news:7C1FB197-B7A9-4A9E-A2D1-933577EFF0B0@micr...

Is it possible to use a formula in the middle of a sentence in exc
If so, how? Your question would be clearer if you wrote it in the body of the message, added more detail explaining what you were looking to accomplish and provided an example or two that showed what you were trying to do. I'll take a guess that this might be what you are looking for... ="Some text"&<YourFormula>&"and some more text" For example, something like this example maybe (where I'm assuming Column A contains a list of names)... ="There are "&COUNTA(A1:A100)&" people on the list" -- Rick (MVP ...

Junk E-Mail Options in OL 2007
I have checked the box "permanently delete suspected junk e-mail instead of moving it to the junk e-mail folder", but I still get a lot of junk in my junk e-mail folder. I think I understand why, but I would like to confirm. I am on an exchange 2003 server. I assume that whatever filter the exchange server applies is before any filter that my computer would apply. I assume exchange is putting those emails into my junk e-mail folder, while any junk my local Outlook catches, it will just delete according to my preferences? I would sure like to just not ever have anything go into t...

Outlook 2002 & MS Mail
I know this may sound a very stange request but...! I have Windows XP PC with Outlook 2002 installed (as part of the XP office software). All my other PCs on my network are NT and have Outlook 2000. I can configure all these to be corporate emails connecting to a mail server. When I try and configure Outlook 2002 it will not let me select corporate and I do not have the choice of MS Mail server. Can anybody please help... Outlook 2002 does not directly support MS Mail but there is a workaround you can use to connect to it -- you can find it here: http://www.poremsky.com/msmail_xp.htm --...

Problem Sending Mail w/Outlook 2002
I receive and send a lot of email using Outlook 2002 and my Gmail account with no problem. However, I have two friends to whom I send emails that are always returned. I get an error message like this: Technical details of permanent failure: PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 Invalid recipient: However, if I send the emails to them directly from Gmail, they go through just fine. Can anyone explain why they fail with Outlook? Pat This sounds like an issue with the SMTP server you have setup in outlook - not outlook itself. "patetc" <PatETC@gmail.com> wrote in messag...

how do i count mails with time and date
i have a helpdesk , i would like to know the tracking all mail , as like time and date on responded "Bhanu C" <Bhanu C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F0F08B1-3302-43F9-B2F8-5FE1BEC99A9B@microsoft.com... >i have a helpdesk , i would like to know the tracking all mail , as like >time > and date on responded Why not just look at the InfoBar? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] see http://www.slipstick.com/exs/customfields.htm - specifically the replied time section. If needed, you can copy rows to excel and compare dates etc. -- Diane Poremsky...

Figuring out how to use a custom membership provider.
My web application handles membership in different organizations. Based on the means by which a user has reached the login screen, the application has already determined which organization membership should be checked against: Session["organizationId"] = 4; //for example Data on members is stored in a table called Participant CREATE TABLE Participant ( ... organizationId int NOT NULL ... ) I've created a custom membership provider: public class PublicMembershipProvider : SqlMembershipProvider { ... public int Organizat...

use USB security token in outlook
how can use security token in outlook. i want do encrypt message and signed mail with my security token. my token support pkcs#11 Dear YOu will need the certificates for same. You can find the free certificates of TAWTE for testing then you can send the encrypted messages. I hope this will help you. The best dual security is Alddin. It works fine. Best regards Sharad "Fanian" wrote: > how can use security token in outlook. > i want do encrypt message and signed mail with my > security token. > my token support pkcs#11 > ...

Editing Contact Information
Does anyone know if there's an easier way to edit contact information? I can't seem to cut and paste text if I need to update or edit someone's email address or other contact information. This a basic function but it doesn't seem to work on Live .. Is this a defect in the system or am I'm missing something? Thank you There are two steps before you can edit: click Edit Contact click one of the categories under Summary You will probably want to click Contact. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "Editing Contact Information" wrote in ...

E-Mail Editor for Outlook 2003/Word2002:
Please explain to me step to step with E-mail Editor for Outlook 2003 and Word 2002: Thanks. David You only have one choice, you have to use the Outlook editor. You can't use Word 2002 as the email editor for Outlook 2003. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP Author - Special Edition Using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Lead Author - Access 2003 VBA Programmer's Reference Author - Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft OneNote 2003 http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza "David Johnson" <david099@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:owI8d.3886$M05.2418@newsread...

refer to data on multiple worksheets using hlookup/look up data on many worksheets?
Hi I have data on many worksheets in the same workbook. Is it possible to look up data on multiple worksheets using Hlookup, which means can the second argument in the formula refer to multiple sources? If it is not possible, is there any other way I can do so? I would like to select and display data according to a fixed order, whereby the data is located in one of many worksheets in the same workbook. For eg, I have stock returns of many firms in many worksheets. Say I would like to display in a single worksheet the returns of Firm D, Firm Z, Firm R; whereby the data of these 3 fir...

E-Mail accounts delayed in being available
When I create a new network user and exchange account the email address is delayed in showing up in the contact lists. It used to show up immediately, but now there is a big delay. Is there some setting I need to change to speed up synchronization? Thanks, Kevin On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:39:01 -0800, KJacks <KJacks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I create a new network user and exchange account the email address is >delayed in showing up in the contact lists. It used to show up immediately, >but now there is a big delay. Is there some setting I need to change to spe...

Extremely Slow to Delete E-mails (and Marks as Read/Unread)
Hi, I recently installed Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 (on my MacBook Pro via Parallels). After installing, I imported the PST file from the version of Outlook on my old computer. Everything worked great at first, but for no obvious reason Outlook has begun really, really dragging (5-10 seconds for actions to be completed) when I attempt to delete e-mails and mark e-mails as read/unread. This is definitely not a computer hardware issue as this is a new and extremely fast computer. This lagtime is becoming unbearable and is resulting in it taking me nearly twice as long to get t...

Where to change my own internet adress in "FROM:" field?
I am using Outlook 2003 with Exchange server. My own eMail address is presented to recipients as Aaaaa.Bbbbbb@ccccccc.com Note: mixing of capital and lower letters I want my email address completely changed to lower letters: aaaaa.bbbbbb@ccccccc.com Where in Outlook can I change this? or is this a setting in Exchange Server ? Joe This is a setting in ADUC/Exchange. I would guess that everyone is set up with the same format throughout the company. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Joe deAngelo" wr...

Outlook Connector Hangs or Chugs While Sending Mail
Just started running Outlook 2007 w/ Outlook Connector. Everything (I guess) "works", but whenever I send mail, Outlook hangs anywhere from 30 secs to a few minutes. And some of the time it slows down WinXP so much that I can't do anything until the mail is sent. Have tried disabling virus scan, firewall, and Windows Search. Very annoying and frustrating! Almost ready to switch from Live Mail because of this. Brian G;111299 Wrote: > Just started running Outlook 2007 w/ Outlook Connector. Everything (I > guess) > "works", but whenever I send ...

Can't read mail in reading pane of outlook 2007 if not in safe mode
Hi all! I have a problem since I installed the outlook 2007 beta 2. I receive mail as nice as possible, but when I want to read it, there is only the title, from whom and to whom data in reading pane. The mesage is, let's say "invisible" :) Anyone have the same prob? When I start outlook 2007 in safe mode, everything works OK. The only prob with safe mode is, that you always have to set the reading pane on and hide the big buttons.... We'll if anyone has a solution...I haven't find it... In the next week I will reinstall the system and see... maybe, just maybe I ...

how can I move the e-mail accounts from outlook 2002 to an other computer
how can I move the e-mail accunts from outlook 2002 to an other computer same program?? ...

mail merge in word 2000
Been trying to link a simple 4 column excel db to do a mail merge in Word. Tried following the help instructions, and finally reached the point where I could "insert a merge field" after realizing they left out a number of steps in the instructions. However, when I do enter the mergefield, the only thing I get is "Error! No bookmark name given." There is no mention of "bookmark" in the instructions, no explanation of what a "bookmark" is in this context, and now way I can figure out what the blasted software is talking about. Anybody go...

Add the same field twice to a pivot table but filter one of them?
In my datasheet, I have a "cost" column and a "date" column so each cost has an associated date. In my pivot table, I've added the "cost" as a field, which shows the total and this is fine. However, I'd like to add the "cost" as a field again and this time selecting which dates to include in the cost number so that I have two cost fields side by side. Is something like this possible? Hi That is not possible in the same PT. You will need to set up a second PT based upon the same data set as the first but do NOT use the same Pivot Cache to save ...

how to route messages using the internet and not the VPN c
Hi, we are currently in the process of evaluating exchange 2003 in the past we used 3rd party POP3 mail servers for each office, so each office also had it's own MX record no problem that way..BUT now we implemented AD and one of the exch2k3 server is the US is holding the Primary dns MX record for the company the same MX record that we want everyone else to use ( i.e someone@company.com ) regardless to which office they are located in. when the mail is being intercepted on the primary mail server, it's routing itself via the AD GC's servers internally on the vpn connection, becasu...

Fire a Workflow using a Callout
Hi, I would like to fire a WorkFlow using a callout. I got problems to do that. Can you tell me how I can do that? I tried it like that: CrmService.ExecuteWFProcessRequest wf = new LetterSalutation.CrmService.ExecuteWFProcessRequest(); wf.ProcessId = GetWorkflowProcessId(workflowName, entityContext); myService.Execute(wf); But I get an error: Server was unable to process request. Can you help me? Simon ...

Use Copied Outlook PST file as default...How?
If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from one computer to another. Dmahanay <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If I copy a PST file on my PC, how can I configure my > Laptop Outlook to use that copied file as its default. Outlook version? > Is it possible to copy new Defined Views in Contacts from > one computer to another. I think views are registry items and not kept in the PST. -- Brian Tillman My outlook version is 2002. >--...

Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 to build Windows Phone OS Image??
Hi, Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 platform builder to build Windows Phone OS Image?? If yes Which option I need to select while building the OS Image?? Since the Windows Phone 7 core is Windoes CE 6.0.I am curious to know whether Windows Phone 7 OS Image can be built using Platform builder. TIA, Nithin On 29 June, 10:29, Nithin <nithin.papd...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Can we use WINCE 6.0 R2 or R3 platform builder to build Windows Phone > OS Image?? > > If yes Which option I need to select while building the OS Image?? > > Since the Win...

How to filter out Leads with "follow-ups"?"
Does anyone know how to set up filers in Advance Find to only pull up Leads with follow-ups? or how can you "flag" or identify Leads with follow-ups within the Leads module without having to go to tasks. Thanks. "Denise" <Denise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1DBCD73-DAC7-4F79-8446-B904E8B6EFBD@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know how to set up filers in Advance Find to only pull up > Leads > with follow-ups? or how can you "flag" or identify Leads with follow-ups > within the Leads module without having to go to tasks....