Junk email problem...

We run a exchange 2003 environment and all of our users run Outlook 2003.  We
turn off the "junk email filter" in outlook but for some reason email is
still going into our users junk email folders on their mailboxes.

I am assuming somewhere in exchange this option is turned on and filtering
this email. Any ideas on what I am missing?

Thanks all
0
Halve (4)

Halve,

I've been experiencing the same issue and have not found a solution for it
as of yet.  I've used group policies to disable the Junk Email filter in
Outlook and have used the OWA Administration Tool to disable the Junk Email
filter in OWA.  This has minimized the issue but has not eliminated it
altogether.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BBE7065-A04E-43CA-8220-859212411E10&displaylang=en

Kind Regards,

--
Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General

"Halve" <Halve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
We run a exchange 2003 environment and all of our users run Outlook 2003.
We
turn off the "junk email filter" in outlook but for some reason email is
still going into our users junk email folders on their mailboxes.

I am assuming somewhere in exchange this option is turned on and filtering
this email. Any ideas on what I am missing?

Thanks all

0
CMcGroarty (78)
7/1/2005 4:49:23 PM
On ExchangeInbox I just posted a new article which is very relevant to this
thread:

Enabling/Disabling the Junk Email Folder
http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/007/enablejunk.htm

cheers,

Alexander Zammit
Software Development Consultant
Check out, ExchangeInbox.com the MS Exchange Resource site at
http://www.exchangeinbox.com/

"Colin M. McGroarty" <CMcGroarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Halve,
>
> I've been experiencing the same issue and have not found a solution for it
> as of yet.  I've used group policies to disable the Junk Email filter in
> Outlook and have used the OWA Administration Tool to disable the Junk
> Email
> filter in OWA.  This has minimized the issue but has not eliminated it
> altogether.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BBE7065-A04E-43CA-8220-859212411E10&displaylang=en
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> --
> Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
> 2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General
> www.McGroarty.org
>

> "Halve" <Halve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We run a exchange 2003 environment and all of our users run Outlook 2003.
> We
> turn off the "junk email filter" in outlook but for some reason email is
> still going into our users junk email folders on their mailboxes.
>
> I am assuming somewhere in exchange this option is turned on and filtering
> this email. Any ideas on what I am missing?
>
> Thanks all

0
alex6014 (110)
7/6/2005 5:31:48 PM
Alex,

I appreciate your post.  However I'm not sure that it provides a solution.
Both OWA and Outlook have the Junk Email Folders disabled globally for all
users.  Yet some mail still finds its way to the Junk Email Folders.  Have
you found a solution for this?  Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

--

"Alex Zammit" <alex@blockspamwindeveloper.com> wrote in message
On ExchangeInbox I just posted a new article which is very relevant to this
thread:

Enabling/Disabling the Junk Email Folder
http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/007/enablejunk.htm

cheers,

Alexander Zammit
Software Development Consultant
Check out, ExchangeInbox.com the MS Exchange Resource site at
http://www.exchangeinbox.com/

"Colin M. McGroarty" <CMcGroarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Halve,
>
> I've been experiencing the same issue and have not found a solution for it
> as of yet.  I've used group policies to disable the Junk Email filter in
> Outlook and have used the OWA Administration Tool to disable the Junk
> Email
> filter in OWA.  This has minimized the issue but has not eliminated it
> altogether.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BBE7065-A04E-43CA-8220-859212411E10&displaylang=en
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> --
> Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
> 2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General
> www.McGroarty.org
>

> "Halve" <Halve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We run a exchange 2003 environment and all of our users run Outlook 2003.
> We
> turn off the "junk email filter" in outlook but for some reason email is
> still going into our users junk email folders on their mailboxes.
>
> I am assuming somewhere in exchange this option is turned on and filtering
> this email. Any ideas on what I am missing?
>
> Thanks all

0
CMcGroarty (78)
7/7/2005 3:13:17 PM
From your previous postings I understand that the problem diminished but did
not stop completely. A couple of questions:

1. What anti-SPAM software are you using exaclty? Any third-party stuff?

2. What do you mean when saying the problem is less now? Do you mean that
for some mailboxes the problem is solved but for some others it is not. OR
are you refering to the volume of emails reaching the Junk Email folders?

> Alex,
>
> I appreciate your post.  However I'm not sure that it provides a solution.
> Both OWA and Outlook have the Junk Email Folders disabled globally for all
> users.  Yet some mail still finds its way to the Junk Email Folders.  Have
> you found a solution for this?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> --
> Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
> 2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General
> www.McGroarty.org
>

> "Alex Zammit" <alex@blockspamwindeveloper.com> wrote in message
> On ExchangeInbox I just posted a new article which is very relevant to
> this
> thread:
>
> Enabling/Disabling the Junk Email Folder
> http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/007/enablejunk.htm
>

> cheers,
>
> Alexander Zammit
> Software Development Consultant
> Check out, ExchangeInbox.com the MS Exchange Resource site at
> http://www.exchangeinbox.com/
>

> "Colin M. McGroarty" <CMcGroarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Halve,
>>
>> I've been experiencing the same issue and have not found a solution for
>> it
>> as of yet.  I've used group policies to disable the Junk Email filter in
>> Outlook and have used the OWA Administration Tool to disable the Junk
>> Email
>> filter in OWA.  This has minimized the issue but has not eliminated it
>> altogether.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BBE7065-A04E-43CA-8220-859212411E10&displaylang=en
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
>> 2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General
>> www.McGroarty.org
>>

>> "Halve" <Halve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> We run a exchange 2003 environment and all of our users run Outlook 2003.
>> We
>> turn off the "junk email filter" in outlook but for some reason email is
>> still going into our users junk email folders on their mailboxes.
>>
>> I am assuming somewhere in exchange this option is turned on and
>> filtering
>> this email. Any ideas on what I am missing?
>>
>> Thanks all

0
alex6014 (110)
7/7/2005 6:45:34 PM
Alex,

Third party SPAM software is not a factor here.  The volume of mail going to
the Junk Email folders has diminished since disabling both OWA and Outlook
Junk Email filtering.  This affects users globally.

Kind Regards,

--
Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General
www.McGroarty.org

"Alex Zammit" <alex@blockspamwindeveloper.com> wrote in message
From your previous postings I understand that the problem diminished but did
not stop completely. A couple of questions:

1. What anti-SPAM software are you using exaclty? Any third-party stuff?

2. What do you mean when saying the problem is less now? Do you mean that
for some mailboxes the problem is solved but for some others it is not. OR
are you refering to the volume of emails reaching the Junk Email folders?

cheers,

Alexander Zammit
Software Development Consultant
Check out, ExchangeInbox.com the MS Exchange Resource site at
http://www.exchangeinbox.com/

"Colin M. McGroarty" <CMcGroarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Alex,
>
> I appreciate your post.  However I'm not sure that it provides a solution.
> Both OWA and Outlook have the Junk Email Folders disabled globally for all
> users.  Yet some mail still finds its way to the Junk Email Folders.  Have
> you found a solution for this?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> --
> Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
> 2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General
> www.McGroarty.org
>

> "Alex Zammit" <alex@blockspamwindeveloper.com> wrote in message
> On ExchangeInbox I just posted a new article which is very relevant to
> this
> thread:
>
> Enabling/Disabling the Junk Email Folder
> http://www.exchangeinbox.com/articles/007/enablejunk.htm
>

> cheers,
>
> Alexander Zammit
> Software Development Consultant
> Check out, ExchangeInbox.com the MS Exchange Resource site at
> http://www.exchangeinbox.com/
>

> "Colin M. McGroarty" <CMcGroarty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Halve,
>>
>> I've been experiencing the same issue and have not found a solution for
>> it
>> as of yet.  I've used group policies to disable the Junk Email filter in
>> Outlook and have used the OWA Administration Tool to disable the Junk
>> Email
>> filter in OWA.  This has minimized the issue but has not eliminated it
>> altogether.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BBE7065-A04E-43CA-8220-859212411E10&displaylang=en
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
>> 2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General
>> www.McGroarty.org
>>

>> "Halve" <Halve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> We run a exchange 2003 environment and all of our users run Outlook 2003.
>> We
>> turn off the "junk email filter" in outlook but for some reason email is
>> still going into our users junk email folders on their mailboxes.
>>
>> I am assuming somewhere in exchange this option is turned on and
>> filtering
>> this email. Any ideas on what I am missing?
>>
>> Thanks all

0
CMcGroarty (78)
7/7/2005 6:55:17 PM
> Third party SPAM software is not a factor here.

Do you mean you don't use thrid party software or do you mean you already
checked that option? Note that I work on anti-SPAM technologies pretty much
as a full time job and when I tell you that some third party software do
make a difference I know what I mean.

> The volume of mail going to the Junk Email folders has diminished since
> disabling both OWA and Outlook Junk Email filtering.

If you want my opinion we are missing some information about your problem.
If you think about it clearing the Junk Email folder flags should not effect
volume for a given mailbox. This is an on/off switch it is not a threshold.

So you used OWAAdmin and disabled junk email from there right? Now if you
were to log onto that mailbox and look up the Junk Email folder flag it
should have gone altogether. Pick one mailbox having this problem, logon,
and verify that this is the case.

> [...]
>>> altogether.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BBE7065-A04E-43CA-8220-859212411E10&displaylang=en
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
>>> 2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General
>>> www.McGroarty.org
>>>

>>> "Halve" <Halve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> We run a exchange 2003 environment and all of our users run Outlook
>>> 2003.
>>> We
>>> turn off the "junk email filter" in outlook but for some reason email is
>>> still going into our users junk email folders on their mailboxes.
>>>
>>> I am assuming somewhere in exchange this option is turned on and
>>> filtering
>>> this email. Any ideas on what I am missing?

0
alex6014 (110)
7/7/2005 9:50:26 PM
Alex,

Correct.  All OWA access has the Junk Email option eliminated.  All Outlook
users have the option disabled.  Anti-Spam software has been completely
uninstalled to remove this as a factor.  Despite all of this some email
still winds up going to the Junk Email Folder.  I've had numerous people in
our organization report that some items will occasionally still appear in
the Junk Email folders.  I've also had many admins outside of our
organization report that they've experienced similar issues.  It's a minor
issue but one that I'd like to hear a solution to when someone discovers
one.

Kind Regards,

--

> [...]

>>> altogether.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BBE7065-A04E-43CA-8220-859212411E10&displaylang=en
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Colin M. McGroarty, MCSE, MCP+I, NT-CIP
>>> 2004 Microsoft MVP, Windows Server - General
>>> www.McGroarty.org
>>>

>>> "Halve" <Halve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> We run a exchange 2003 environment and all of our users run Outlook
>>> 2003.
>>> We
>>> turn off the "junk email filter" in outlook but for some reason email is
>>> still going into our users junk email folders on their mailboxes.
>>>
>>> I am assuming somewhere in exchange this option is turned on and
>>> filtering
>>> this email. Any ideas on what I am missing?

0
CMcGroarty (78)

Functionality disabled in junk mail
I believe that disabling functionality in junk mail is extremely worthwhile. Unfortunately, if junk mail is moved to the deleted items folder, functionality is restored. This exposes us to the exact threat you are trying to avoid by disabling the functionality. I suggest that some flag be saved with mail identified as junk, and that flag be checked, and the user be given a warning before enabling functionality. Further, no flag or check is necessary if the user identifies the mail as not junk, or moves that mail to the inbox. Marvin ---------------- This post is a sugg...

Word Wrap in Email
Folks, I receive email without line breaks at the end of each line. CRM displays the text as one LONG horizontal line of text. Does someone know of a setting where I can have the CRM email window automatically word wrap at the end of the displayed window? Timothy -- CRM 1.2 /C360 user ...

Problem with post callout
Hi. I'm able to create files on the server as response to accounts being created in CRM. However, I'm not able to load other .NET assemblies or applications from the same component. Any idea why? Are those other assemblies strong named? If not, you either need to make them strong named or create a wrapper. I know you can do this with a utility, but don't have the steps handy. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 07:21:02 -0700, "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Outlook problems after WinXP updates
I installed critical updates for Windows XP on my laptop Wednesday. Nowmy Outlook hangs and I am unable to send new messages or reply to messages while using VPN. Any ideas? Suggestions? ...

I am having problems with "Calendar"
Hi all I'm trying to make a calendar that cycles (January February March etc.) starting from 2010 to when ever in MS Publisher. I have Calendar Creator by Broudbund that does this but whenever I converted to a PDF file, the file for each month is a little under 5 MB (I think because it is created as a JPEG file) which is not good for my application. Whenever I convert the MS Publisher "Calendar" to a PDF file it runs about 72 kB. But I haven't figured out how to sequence the program where it will automatically make a calendar page for each month while carrying o...

OWA display problem
Our Outlook is performing normally when accessed internally. When accessing by way of OWA, however, we can see the headers, but cannot open the message. We can compose new messages and send them. We cannot see the message body in a preview pane. Any ideas? Steve, It sounds like you might have URLScan installed on the OWA server. Please have a look at the following article to see if it is relevant. 320089 XCCC: The URLScan Utility Does Not Allow You to Open Messages in OWA http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320089 Hope this helps. -- Greg Mansius [MSFT] This posting is provided &...

Problems with the installation
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Had a copy of Mac:Office 12.0.0, but couldn't ever upgrade it successfully. Finally bought another copy (digital download) of 12.1.6 to install - had already moved the other to a 'safe location'. The install completes successfully, however, when attempting to open any of the Office programs I get the following error: "A problem has been detected with the Microsoft Office installation." and "try running the Office Installer again to resolve the problem". I have run the installer four add...

need to find the file that Outlook emails are stored in
there is one file that contains all the outlook email and information. i need help to find it. also, how can i view Hidden Files? thanks arthur Open Windows Explorer and select Tools | Folder Options. Select Show Hidden Files and Folders and uncheck the option to hide protected operating system files. OK out and open the search panel (f3). If you are using Windows XP, you need to configure the search to look for hidden items. If all goes right, you should find your *.pst file(s) under \documents and settings\<userid>\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook. -- Neo [...

Multiple Email Addresses
I have a contact with multiple email addresses (2 addresses). When I address an email message to this person, as I type in her name my automatic name lookup puts an email address in for her that isn't in my personal address book or contact list. It is a valid email address for her, but one that I don't want to use. I only want to pick from the 2 addresses that are in my personal address book and contact list. So, where is Outlook coming up with this 3rd address and how do I delete it so that Outlook doesn't use it anymore? OL doesn't look up to contacts for 'au...

failure to find an email address
I have one particular entry in my address that does not seem to work as an email address. When I specify the Contact's name as an email address, Outlook insists that it can't find the associated email address. Does anyone know why this might be? There are a couple hundred other email addresses in the same address book that work just fine so it just doesn't make any sense to me why this one doesn't. -- ---------- Richard Lewis Haggard Explain what you mean. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Richard Lewis Haggard" <HaggardAtWorldDotStdDotCom> wrote in m...

Outlook wont send from the email directly
I can send mail when hitting the send button on the main Outlook 03 window but if I reply to a letter it just goes to the outbox. What am I missing? Thankyou Lew/+Silat Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, WHAT A RIDE" ...

Only Running New Email Noficication
How do I receive new email notifications in the windows notification area without having the full Outlook 2002 program running all the time? (and thus using up valuable resources? We have an exchange server and are not on the same active directory as the server. Thank you for any help! ...

Namespace problem
I've the following code, taken from http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnexxml/html/xml02172003.asp to select a node from RSS file. However, I'm always getting a null returning for the SelectSingleNode(), why? if(feed.DocumentElement.LocalName.Equals("RDF") && feed.DocumentElement.NamespaceURI.Equals("http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-s yntax-ns#")) { NamespaceUri = "http://purl.org/rss/1.0/"; } else if(feed.DocumentElement.LocalName.Equals("rss")) { NamespaceUri = feed.DocumentElement.NamespaceURI; } ...

email notification #3
Can I get sound notification for incoming mail on additional mailboxes? You can setup a Rule to play a sound for a email account attached to the mailbox. To setup a rule, click on the Organize icon (with Yellow fragmenting square blocks) on the toolbar , and click Rule Wizard on the top right hand (for Outlook XP). Once you are in Rule Wizard, you could setup a rule for a specific email account that is associated with a mailbox, and to play a sound (you could select any WAV sound files). Srini Iyer "Neal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1043701c...

Script to monitor email messages
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me with my problem. I was wondering if it's possible to write a macro script that will monitor incoming emails and send info to an Access database? To make it more clearer, here's the scenario: I need to monitor emails wich have the word "Handovers" from specific groups and i'd like the macro script to put a "Yes" on one of the fields in an Access database. Is this even possible or do i have to ask someone who's more an expert on Access? Please, i hope someone out there can help me. Thanks, -- "excel newbie&...

Add comments to emailed publisher doc
I am sending an invitation as part of the body of an email. I want to add a comment to the email as well. Can I do this? Although your question was already answered three days ago, here's another take on it: Unless you are absolutely sure that all of your recipients can and will receive HTML emails, it is probably a better bet to send the invitation as a PDF attachment and place your comment in the body of the email. Many people will not accept HTML emails because viruses can be hidden within them. Bruce "slaine" wrote: > I am sending an invitation as part of the b...

Integration manager VBScript email problem
I am doing something wrong with my Document Error script and I can't pinpoint the problem. This script should send an email when a document error is encountered with a link to the log file (I would really rather send the file as an attachemnt, but I was never able to get it to work so this is the second best option). Everything with this script works until I add the file link in the objMessage.HTMLBody. It will send the message, however, the message just says "False". Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thank you! 'Set path to the log files Set pFSO = ...

Forwarding Email #9
I have set up an Active Directory account and chose not to set up an Exchange mailbox. (According to previous posts.) Once this was done, I chose Exchange Tasks and Establish Email. I set this up to be the users home email address. The plan was that he works offsite all of the time and preferred using his external email (but he needs to be able to receive email@companydomain.com). In the Email Addresses tab (on user properties) it lists hisname@companydomain.com as well as hisname@externalemail.com. Messages are getting bounced back when trying to send to user@companydomain.com. ...

Pegasus email
How can I import or convert my Pegasus files into Outlook? Can Pegasus export its mail in any formats? "ASH18103" <ASH18103@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45FE6049-4802-4D75-A5C9-CE06B57B816B@microsoft.com... > How can I import or convert my Pegasus files into Outlook? "Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" wrote: > Can Pegasus export its mail in any formats? > > "ASH18103" <ASH18103@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:45FE6049-4802-4D75-A5C9-CE06B57B816B@microsoft.com... > > How can I import or...

Formula Problem
Hi I'm struggling with a formula in an excel sheet I'm working on. I recently created a time sheet for the people in my work. One person however get public holidays a different method from everyone else - she only gets half a working day. My initial formula that works fine is =IF(OR(B12="A/L",B12="S/L",B12="P/H"),7/24,IF(B12="FLEXI",0,C12-B12- D12)) My ammended ones is =IF(OR(B12="A/L",B12="S/L"),7/24,IF(B12="P/H",3.5/24),IF(B12="FLEXI", 0,C12-B12-D12)) However it doesn't want to w...

Is there a way to print out all emails from the same company all at once?
Hi all, Let's say I have a few emails from person B at company A, and a few emails from person C at company A, and a few emails from person D at company A; they all have the same domain address in their email addresses. Is there a way to print out their emails all at once in a batch? I am using Outlook 2003. Thanks a lot you might regroup them or put them all in a separate folder, select them, rightclick the selection and print.... -- I am what I am - the cow don''t make ham... "cfman" wrote: > Hi all, > > Let's say I have a few emails from pe...

Filtering problem
Hi everybody, it`s my first posting on this forum. My colleague made a document in Excel 2000 and when I tried to open i it was unpossible to open the filterin option /it was visiable, bu clicking on the option was without any results/. The same thing was o the other computer, but on her`s everything was working perfectly well What do you think about it ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creati...

email from excel workbook button does nothing
In my old version of excel(2003) as long as i had outlook open i could email directly from the worksheet. Now i have office 2007 with "windows mail" when i press the button in the "quick access" tool bar it does nothing. I have tried having widows mail open when I do it too but the only way i can send is by making file attachments. seems like the long way around. Is there something I am doing wrong? I have tried to read some of the previous posts and dont understand anything about codes ect. Please help, Mark hi Mark Is Windows Mail your default m...

Distribution Group Not Receiving Emails From Outside Organization
It's the strangest thing. I cannot figure out how this one particular group is not receiving emails from the outside, when it is configured exactly like all our other groups. Yes, its set to receive emails from everyone. Any thoughts? What happens? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" <jaaboo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142898094.977528.109350@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... > It's the strangest thing. I cannot figure out how this one particular > group is not receiving emails from the outside, when it is ...

Inserting Rows Problem
Hi there, I have a list of about 2000 rows. However, in between each of thes rows I want to insert a blank row that can be used for people to writ in once the list is printed off. Is there a quick way to do this? Kind regards Andre -- andyp16 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- andyp161's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1165 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26611 If you insert rows it will affect sorting, etc. and be a real pain. Many posts here want to delete blank rows ...