It all started with Windows 2003 SP1 and Exchange SP2 - what happen to KISS

We have a simple domain - one DC and one Member server supporting Exchange
2003.

Both run with - DC Windows 2003 Enterprise and Exchange Windows 2003
Standard. My clients all use Office 2003 Professional.

I have installed SP1 on both and SP2 on the Exchange server.

Now the fun  starts and where I am looking for help.

Point 1 - I understand that the new Firewall using SCW has some problems; to
the extent that Microsoft has issued a Troubleshooting Guide. I see there
could be problems (article ID 896742) and Microsoft has a fix. I also
understand that the recommendation is not to use SCW on the Exchange server;
but rather to Harden the Server. and so on..........!

Question - what do I do with the new firewall - forget it or install it
blindly and hope for the best?

Point 2 -  Now that I have SP2 installed on the Exchange server - do I:
Try to use SenderID? it seems that most ISP will accept the SPF records, but
will not want to support it. I did create the text file and sent it to my
ISP.
Enable the SenderID or not?

What ever happened to KISS (keep it simple stupid)?

Looking for a solution that is not complicated - we are not a large
organization.

0
sagegrp (56)

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:08:39 -0500, "John Leonard - Sage"
<sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote:

>We have a simple domain - one DC and one Member server supporting Exchange
>2003.
>
>Both run with - DC Windows 2003 Enterprise and Exchange Windows 2003
>Standard. My clients all use Office 2003 Professional.
>
>I have installed SP1 on both and SP2 on the Exchange server.
>
>Now the fun  starts and where I am looking for help.
>
>Point 1 - I understand that the new Firewall using SCW has some problems; to
>the extent that Microsoft has issued a Troubleshooting Guide. I see there
>could be problems (article ID 896742) and Microsoft has a fix. I also
>understand that the recommendation is not to use SCW on the Exchange server;
>but rather to Harden the Server. and so on..........!
>
>Question - what do I do with the new firewall - forget it or install it
>blindly and hope for the best?

Do you need it? I dont enable it myself. I trsut you already have an
external firewall. Have you enabled the firewalls on the XP Sp2
workstations? Do you keep up on security fixes and AV?

>Point 2 -  Now that I have SP2 installed on the Exchange server - do I:
>Try to use SenderID? it seems that most ISP will accept the SPF records, but
>will not want to support it. I did create the text file and sent it to my
>ISP.
>Enable the SenderID or not?

Sure, why not.
But the SenderIS feature allows your server to check the senders
records. The DNS record that you create for your domain is for
messages you send.

I certainly would not drop mail that fails the senderid test in a
corporate environment however. Use it as test along with other
anti-spam tests.

>What ever happened to KISS (keep it simple stupid)?

Everybody complains about Microsoft not providing enough security and
functionality and when they do, they complain that its too much I
guess.

>Looking for a solution that is not complicated - we are not a large
>organization.

It isnt really.

0
adavid (8731)
2/15/2006 3:27:44 PM
Thanks for the response

Yes, I have routers with the firewall  enabled.

I cannot use firewall on the clients. I have a VPN configured and it stops
working if Firewall is on the client.

"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:08:39 -0500, "John Leonard - Sage"
> <sagegrp@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>We have a simple domain - one DC and one Member server supporting Exchange
>>2003.
>>
>>Both run with - DC Windows 2003 Enterprise and Exchange Windows 2003
>>Standard. My clients all use Office 2003 Professional.
>>
>>I have installed SP1 on both and SP2 on the Exchange server.
>>
>>Now the fun  starts and where I am looking for help.
>>
>>Point 1 - I understand that the new Firewall using SCW has some problems;
>>the extent that Microsoft has issued a Troubleshooting Guide. I see there
>>could be problems (article ID 896742) and Microsoft has a fix. I also
>>understand that the recommendation is not to use SCW on the Exchange
>>server;
>>but rather to Harden the Server. and so on..........!
>>
>>Question - what do I do with the new firewall - forget it or install it
>>blindly and hope for the best?
>
> Do you need it? I dont enable it myself. I trsut you already have an
> external firewall. Have you enabled the firewalls on the XP Sp2
> workstations? Do you keep up on security fixes and AV?
>

>>Point 2 -  Now that I have SP2 installed on the Exchange server - do I:
>>Try to use SenderID? it seems that most ISP will accept the SPF records,
>>but
>>will not want to support it. I did create the text file and sent it to my
>>ISP.
>>Enable the SenderID or not?
>
> Sure, why not.
> But the SenderIS feature allows your server to check the senders
> records. The DNS record that you create for your domain is for
> messages you send.
>
> I certainly would not drop mail that fails the senderid test in a
> corporate environment however. Use it as test along with other
> anti-spam tests.
>>
>>What ever happened to KISS (keep it simple stupid)?
>
> Everybody complains about Microsoft not providing enough security and
> functionality and when they do, they complain that its too much I
> guess.
>

>>Looking for a solution that is not complicated - we are not a large
>>organization.
>>

> It isnt really.

0
sagegrp (56)

Problem
Ever since I added a Microsoft Exchange Server Account and all it6s associated folders and its in-box to my pre-existing Personal Outlook 2003 POP3 folders, I have had nothing but confusion. The Exchange Server account from my workplace downloads its messages into the in-Box for my private ISP POP3 account and vice versa. When I try to configure a rule for my personal POP3 account so that any messages addressed to my workplace account are loaded into the exchange server in-box on my client PC, the software tells me I have to go on-line to Exchange Server - even to create rules for th...

windows live block list help
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_04E7_01CAA00F.21DD8640 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello and good day to all=20 does any one know any way to get names out or off the block list in the = messenger when the other user has not or will not delete my user id = email address from their list I have tried contacting the other user to = get them to delete my id but a few of the ids in the block list are from = them dumb spim bots and I just want them out of it can some one try and...

Monitoring Exchange 2003 #2
Hello, We are planning to implement MOM 2005. However, we are also concerned about implementing auditing for changes made within ESM. Will there be a tool that will allow management to know a change was completed by a specific UserID? When a mailbox store is dismounted - who dismounted it/date/time? When a change is made to the RUS - who made the change? Thank you, Exchange2003 MOM does not have the ability to monitor this in the shipped Management Pack. You can enable AD auditing on the domain controllers: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314955&sd=tech. ...

need Help for Migration Exchange 5.5
Hello NG, we`ve the following Configuration : - Exchange 5.5 with SP4 - single Winwos 2000 DC - configured both side ADC a new Hardware should be used for an Exchange 2003 and second DC. next steps i would do as following : - Update ADC Version with Exchange 2003 ADC - running Exchange 2003 forestprep, then domainprep, an after all running setup to install Exchange 2003 in the same organization, site - replicate system Folders and public Folders - moving all Mailboxes to the Exchange 2003 Store - configure the Exchange 2003 virtual SMTP Server to send outgoing Mail - reconfigure the F...

Outlook 2003 wont stop
I sill have the probs with OL 2003. It absolutely wont stop. If I start Outlook the first time then there is no problem. As I click the EXIT button Outlook closes but the Icon of Outlook remains in the Taskbar of Windows. Restaring OL is not possible. Killing Outlook via TaskManager wont help either. Please Help!! Benjamin Some common reasons why Outlook will not shut down completely when you click either the X or Exit: 1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle. 2. WinFax Pro (especially 10.02 in Outlook 2003) - contact their support for an alleged fix. 3. Franklin...

Exchange 2003
Hello I have a newly setup production exchange server (sp2). It is only serving a small subset of my organisation, about 15 users, using mydomain1.com. My active directory contains around 100 user accounts that do not have exchange mailboxes and they use our old pop3 based system and have a seperate email domain name, mydomain2.com. It would appear that whenever someone with an exchange mailbox (mydomain1.com) sends mail to people with an email address listed elsewhere in the active directory (mydomain2.com) it gets stuck in the local exchnage delivery queue rather than forwarding i...

Exporting emails from Outlook 2003 #2
I have a folder that contains over 500 threads on technical matters on a subject. I have tried to use Export to Exel but this does not transfere all the information over including not giving all the text in the body of the email. A similar problem is saving an email to a folder outside outlook it doesn't show the date so you may have a huge list of items all titled but not dated in the title Please can anybody help? Hi stevtb why do you want to export the emails. What is the target/reson to export the emails? -- Oliver Vukovics Share Outlook without Exchange (Vista Ready): Publi...

Entourage 2004 and Exchange 2003 Cluster
Hello, I have an Active Passive Exchange 2003 SP2 cluster Exch1 and Exch2. When I set it to Exch 1 our one MAC user running Entourage 2004 is unable to connect. Does anyone know what setting to check on the Exchange server? Thanks, DOTT ...

Switching between multiple open windows
I ran across an option to change how to switch between multiple open windows on my desktop. It was an option to choose between hovering over a window or clicking on it. Thinking that only having to hover over a window to switch to it would save time, I selecting the option to hover... big mistake as it just became a big pain in the a_ _ for me. Now I would like to change back to one-clicking to change between viewed windows but can't remember or find where the option is located. Any help will be appreciated. -- rushl On 2/03/10, rushl posted: > I ran across an opti...

I want to buy the best book of office 2003
Hi. I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? Marco Hi, Marco. > I want to buy the best book of office 2003, what is the name of it? "The Best Book of Office 2003." (Just kidding!) "Best" is subjective. Check out former Access MVP Jeff Conrad's lists of recommended books and find the ones for Access 2003, then go to your bookstore and look at each one to see if it's "for you" -- and your learning style. http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html#Books Notice that these books are all Access databas...

open subfolders automatically on mail entry -- not happening.
Hello all. Have a problem that happens in one Outlook 2002, but not another -- so I know there's a likely setting someplace, but can't find it. I've even stumped my company's IT people on this one: I download mail through several rules (and accounts); and ship them to various subfolders off of parent folders. What I desire is to have the email automatically open the appropriate folder -- revealing the affected subfolder -- when new mail comes into it. In one of my Outlooks (both 2002), this does open automatically revealing the new highlighted message. But the other do...

Only printing header in Windows Live Mail
My canon printer has suddenly stopped printing the email content - only the header. Printing in word, excel etc not affected. Using W7 (+ Firefox if that relavent). Any suggestions please Does you have the same problem if you try printing from IE? WLM depends on IE for printing services. Take a look at this: Print and Print Preview May Display Only Text at Top of Page http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=272518 It's a similar problem for a different version but the fix may apply. -- Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us "Jem" <Jem@discussions.mic...

Exchange 5.5, Outlook 2003 and Czech characters
We are using the following configuration: - Windows XP English - Outlook 2003 English + MUI for French, Spanish, Italian, German - Exchange 5.5. We encounter some problem with Czech characters. When contacts are stored in the mailbox in Exchange 5.5, some czech characters are replaced in contact name, company, .... When we stored the same contact in a pst file, evrything works fine. The characters are not replaced. Have somebody an idea or a solution for me? ...

Problems with Outlook 2003
This only happens with externally sent messages. Internal messages work fine. One of my users alerted me to this issue, so I tested this myself. I created 2 messages (internal and external) and added delayed delivery to both. They were both set to go out at the same time. The internal message went, and the external message is still in the outbox. The user who alerted me to this found her message went "before" the scheduled time.We are not running in cached mode and of course running Outlook on Exchange. Is this a bug? ...

Using Word 2003 in Vista: Opening dictionary shuts down Word
This is a problem in Vista; it did not occur when I used Word 2003 in XP. Whenever I try to open the dictionary in Word 2003, either by clicking its icon, or hitting Alt+click over a word, Word shuts down. Vista Business, Service Pack 2 Thinkpad T400, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM ...

Exchange 2003 or Outlook 2003 error
This is only happening with one of our users, and I am trying to figure out if it is with there Outlook 2003 Client or if it is with our Exchange 2003 server. I have read other posts about this however I could not tell if the error was with one or all of the clients. Also they seemed to indicate it was for outside there domain, ours is happening for both outside and inside when a mail is sent to a user on the same server and domain. They have not received the error (to my knowledge) from OWA. Error: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject...

Migrating from Exch 2000 to 2003
We're in the middle of migrating thousands of users from Exchange 2000 to 2003. Our 2000 users are experiencing a problem where anytime they are sent an e-mail from a 2003 user, they receive the e-mail as an attachment rather than a regular readable e-mail. They have to open the attachment to read it. We also are going through a Trend Viruswall server for virus cleaning, and have a Netscape mail server in the mix as well. Has anyone seen this? ...

Outlook 2003 does not sync properly when connected.
When connected thru a Windows 2000 Server to the internet, and using VPN to connect to an Exchange Server running on Windows 2000 Small Busness Server, I get the following error. "(0x8004011D) The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists." I am able to connect it I dial into the internet and use VPN to connect to the internet. ...

memory problem of Excel 2003 copy & paste
Hi all, I am using Excel 2003 for some project. I am having 2GB C drive harddisk space. After a while, the Excel begins to be extremely slow in copy and paste... It takes about half an hour to copy and paste just a few cells... I've consulted people. It seems a memory problem. But I cannot close my windows and kill the processes, because I am running long-running (overnight) jobs... I cannot reboot either. Is there a way to clean the memory and let Excel 2003 clipboard function properly without rebooting or killing my 4 long-running processes? Thanks! p.s. I am sure this is an is...

2003 OL with contact manager
Hi I would like to in-port Quick Books data , namely customers and vendors, and other names into OL contact manager.... can anyone tell me what QB files they are and what each is? Thanks David Have you tried Intuit support? Outlook would have no way of knowing what export types QuickBooks uses. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, RDavid asked: | Hi ...

Outlook Opens looking for Exchange Server
A computer club member wishes to used Outlook so that she can sync with her Palm. Environment: Windows XP Pro SP2, IE 7, Windows Genuine Advantage installed. Symptom One: When Outlook is opened, the program is looking for Exchange Server. She is using a laptop with no exchange server available. Symptom Two: When performing Office Update, three items did not install all with error code 0x8024402C: 1. Update for Outlook Junk Mail (KB943591) 2. Office 2003 update SP3 3. Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906) I suspicion that Office 2003 is a 60 day trial that has never been activated. Are ...

Exchange VSS Writer Error
Hi, Our Exchange Server ( running on Win2003, Exch2003-SP1 ) is having backup issues since the active backup job was interrupted by a network failure. Network switch's power was interrupted during an active backup job. After the incident, I am having error when I try to start the exchange backup. I am using Veritas Backup veritas 10 to do the backup job. I have tried to use the windows native backup but is facing the similar problem also. The following is the event details when i try to activate a backup job Event Type: Information Event Source: NTBackup Event Category: None ...

Folder-Link Icon in Outlook 2003
In the past (Outlook XP and before) I could distinguish between a regular Folder and a Folder-Link (.xnk file). Their icons were different. In Outlook 2003 a Folder-Link icon looks exactly the same as a Folder icon. Is they any way I can influence the look of Folder Link icons ? You can change the xnk-file icon association by going to Control Panel-> Folder Options -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Arie Blonk" <Arie Blonk@discussio...

RMS POS 2.0 SP1 fails to install
We are running RMS 2.0, and when I tried to install POS SP1 I get the following error" The expected version of the product was not found on your system" I have searched kb and found nothing that may address this. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Sounds like you got the wrong service pack. POS is a different product. You need RMS 2.0 Service Pack 1. Marc "Davidjc52" <Davidjc52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EE74C3F9-0CF6-4693-889C-8CD301CA691F@microsoft.com... > We are running RMS 2.0, and when I tried to install POS SP1 I get the &g...

Outlook 2003 Adding several Emails to Block Sender list at One Tim
I just upgraded to Windows 2003 SP 2. In the older version of Outlook, I could highlight several emails and add them to the junk senders list by selecting: Action/Junk Email/Ad to junk senders list With 2003, the option to “Add Sender to blocked senders list” is grayed out and I am not able to select it. What can I do to be able to use this? It is available when I select an individual email. ...