Is there a script that will move a new user into a contact public folder

One of my clients is moving to a hosted exchange that will have over 200
people on it.  There are going to be approx 40 offices with 2- 5 people in
each office.  They want to create a public folder system that is named for
each specific office.  Within each folder will have a contact and calendar
folder.

My customer would like to know:

1.    Does this make sense or is there a better solution

2.    Since there will be a lot of updating due to employee turnover is
there something out there that will help with all of the changes?  i.e. if
an employee quits, automatically remove that user from a contacts folder and
from a distribution list.  And the opposite when they add a new employee.

I mentioned Query based distribution lists and that might solve part of the
problem but I can't see how a  contact would be removed from a Public folder
contact list automatically when you delete them from AD on the Hosted
Exchange.

TIA

John

0
nospam9607 (138)

I'm not sure why the internal people would need to be in the public folder
contacts folder.  Their information can just be in the address book.  You
could have Exchange address books created for each office.

I would see the Public Folder Contacts folders as useful for holding contact
information for people the employees in each office communicate with.  That
way, when the employees turn over, there's no loss of organizational
knowledge about the contacts.

As for the calendar, if there are organizational items that need to be
tracked separate from personal calendars, or information that the office is
sharing with the other offices, then that makes sense.  With 5 people in an
office, they can just have reviewer rights to each other's callendars and
look at what's going on.

Using a QBDL is one option, but it can't be used as a security principal, so
you'll need a Security Group as well that employees of each office are
members of to secure the public folders and other resources.  Thus you'll
need to add each new employee to that group and remove the employees who
leave.  So you might as well just have one group and make it a Mail Enabled
Security Group and use it for both mail delivery and permissions on the
folders and other resources.

Account creation and management can certainly be scripted/automated in
several different ways.

"John" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> One of my clients is moving to a hosted exchange that will have over 200
> people on it.  There are going to be approx 40 offices with 2- 5 people in
> each office.  They want to create a public folder system that is named for
> each specific office.  Within each folder will have a contact and calendar
> folder.
>
> My customer would like to know:
>
> 1.    Does this make sense or is there a better solution
>
> 2.    Since there will be a lot of updating due to employee turnover is
> there something out there that will help with all of the changes?  i.e. if
> an employee quits, automatically remove that user from a contacts folder
> and from a distribution list.  And the opposite when they add a new
> employee.
>
> I mentioned Query based distribution lists and that might solve part of
> the problem but I can't see how a  contact would be removed from a Public
> folder contact list automatically when you delete them from AD on the
> Hosted Exchange.
>

> TIA
>
> John

0
awebb7472 (650)
2/1/2006 4:41:09 AM
Hello John,

Thank you for posting here!

I agree with Andy that there are many other methods to partly accomplish
your goal. Andy, thank you for your experience sharing!

Firstly, you can just build separate Global Address List (GAL) for every
office and then change the security on each new GAL. For more detailed
information, you can refer to the following Knowledge Base article:

822940 How to manage address lists when you host virtual organizations
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822940

Secondly, you can also create separate mail-enabled Security Groups for
every office and then add/remove the members in those Security Groups
manually. In this way, you can manage mail flow and permissions on the
folders and other resources.

In addition, for more assistance on the issue related to the
programming/script, I suggest you consider these resources to repost the
thread:

1. MSDN newsgroups for peer experiences and recommendations:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp

2. Public newsgroups for peer experiences and recommendations:
microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
microsoft.public.exchange.design

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most
qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who the newsgroups
regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction
with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Please don't hesitate to let me know in case you have any further concerns.
Have a nice day!

Regards,

Martin Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

PLEASE NOTE the newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD will be updated at 9:00
AM PST, February 14, 2006.  Please complete a re-registration process by
entering the secure code mmpng2006 when prompted. Once you have entered the
secure code mmpng2006, you will be able to update your profile and access
the partner newsgroups.

that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

v-mqiu (26)

How to import 3 CSV fields into Outlook Contacts ?
I have a simple CSV file with 3 fields... Fname-1,Lname-1,Email-1 Fname-2,Lname-2,Email-2 Fname-3,Lname-3,Email-3 Fname-4,Lname-4,Email-4 etc - The file has about 100 records - Outlook won't let me import it. I exported a few records from a test folder in Outlook Contacts and see that it exports all Field Names first... and then eports each line of data... and there is a bunch of data per line. - Must I replicate all of that in my CSV file before I try and import it into Outlook? - Is there no way to import my simple CSV file and "Map" each of the fields to the correct O...

Moved PST file for Outlook 2007
How do I tell Outlook 2007 where I moved the PST file to? (yelling at the screen doesn't seem to work ;-) *grin* Kevryl wrote: > How do I tell Outlook 2007 where I moved the PST file to? (yelling at > the > screen doesn't seem to work ;-) *grin* Close outlook, go to control panel mail and open the profile. Go to Data files and point outlook to it. The steps at http://www.slipstick.com/config/moveimap.asp will work for POP3 as well as imap. Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] 'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/) | 'Outlook & Exchange ...

Outlook deleted old inbox on Comcast when started on new computer
I am using Outlook for the first time and wanted to synch my comcast currently using with new computer. Now all of my inbox on Comcast has been deleted and none of the folders have transferred to the new outlook. HELP There isn't a way for anyone to figure out what happened with so few details. What version of Outlook? How did you configure your Outlook account with Comcast? What steps did you take? "goldenpony07" <goldenpony07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:457C7193-B5C1-4BB8-AA99-D294845CB0E1@microsoft.com... > I am using Outlook fo...

cannot add user into Active Directory via c#.net
My System Have 2 Computer: Frist Computer act as A domain Controller that has a Active Directory,RADIUS Server,DHCP and DNS Second Computer act as A Web Server(join domain with a first computer already) and use Microsoft Visual Studio Team System 2008 I create a website on a second computer to add user in active directory. I have 3 file: 1.Default.aspx - Let user fill their privacy information 2.ViewRegisterdata.aspx - Let user confirm their information before it's added to active directory. In this file,there is a Viewregisterdata.aspx.cs which collect user information...

Perfered way to create public folders in exchange 2003
I know I can just use outlook to create a public folder but what is the preferred method? In the past I have had issues modifying public folder items because a user was no longer at the company and I could not take ownership of the items to modify them. I want to avoid that kind of situation again. David Lewis <*@*.*> wrote in news:k1gdg0trdflaft6mbgtkmnq5b3g7kt0haa@ 4ax.com: > I know I can just use outlook to create a public folder but what > is the preferred method? In the past I have had issues modifying > public folder items because a user was no longer at the company ...

Outlook client displaying different folders than web client
CRM 3.0 Outlook client security issue: We limited security for several users to only see certain folders. This works fine on the web client but in their Outlook client they see all the folders. We have done everything we can think of to fix this including a fresh install of the CRM Outlook client on a new machine and still have same issue. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas? ...

Mailbox Move Problem
I have two Exchange 2000 servers in a Windows 2000 domain. I used Active Directory Exchange Tasks to move a mailbox from one server to the other. I archived the mailbox so that it would be as small as possible to move. The wizard said it moved the mailbox, no problem - seemed simple enough. However, when I try to access the mailbox by setting up a new profile to the new server, I get an "Outlook cannot open the folder" message and it does not open up the mail store. If I use OWA as a quick way to check the mailbox (\\server\exchange\username) I get a "Page Cannot Be Displ...

Moving to Win 7 without Original Disk
I'm a MS Money Home and Business user. Old computer is Windows XP. New compter is Win 7. Do NOT have original CD image, I purchased online. However I do have the Product key from the original email from DigitalRiver. I downloaded a trial version of MS Money Home and Business. It opened my file without any problems. But it will expire in 60 days. I cannot find where to input the activation key. If I go to Tools-Online Services Information I have two choices, OK, and Purchase Money. If I go to Purchase Money, the web site says I can't buy it. So I have an activat...

Outlook 2003 cached exchange mode folder size issue
Using Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003, connection via HTTP and using cached exchange mode for synching everything up. I noticed when looking at folder sizes that there are two tabs - local data and server data. The sizes for the same folders do not match, in fact the local data is about twice the size of the server data for the account with various discrepencies for each folder. When viewing the account in OWA, it is exactly the same as the account viewed in Outlook. Is this an issue with the local copy having free, unused space in the data file? Can this local file be "cleaned" to r...

Add new company Crash
hi I use GP 10,while adding new company through gp ultilies it reach to creating company information then GP utiliites crash what shall i do thank you in advance It might be due to some corrupted records in your existing tries of other companies, try to check tables in you Dynamics database and make sure that only records related to your companies are exist. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MVP, MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS Mob: +962 - 79 -999 65 85 mohdaoud@gmail.com http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com/ "New User" wrote: > hi > I use GP 10,while adding ...

New User- print preview cuts off part of my page design
my publication fits the page in design view, but is cut off in print preview...help? -- ch njoynthevu wrote: > my publication fits the page in design view, but is cut > off in print preview...help? ================= This may be reflecting the limitations of your printer. Maybe the following article will offer some ideas: "How to find the maximum print area of your printer" http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/horidiag -- *********Notice********** This is not tech support. ....I am only a volunteer... Solutions that work for me may not work for you. Proceed at yo...

User no longer in the company
Hi. One of our users has left the company and we would like to have Exchange send an email to all that send emails to this user indicating that he now logner works for us. I ma new to Exchange 55 and can not find where to do this. (if it can be done) Thanks. George. I'd probably just create an out of office reply from the users desktop. if you like, you can logon to the mailbox and set an "Out of Office" reply and leave it in place for awhile... "George D. Lake" <NoSpam@bla.com> wrote in message news:epPEGqtNFHA.1732@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... &g...

"You don't have sufficient security privileges to run the user manager wizard" on MS CRM. [THE SOLUTION]
"You don't have sufficient security privileges to run the user manager wizard" Hi, If you have had this error message on MS CRM, try this fix it should work. You need to create a new user in SqlServer NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE with the good privileges on the DB and it should work. It seems that this problem is due to the fact that you are using Windows Authentication whereas this user is not created by default. (and of course this is documented neither in the bloody MS documentation nor anywhere else...) Alexandre MANGUER ..Net Consultant ...

How do I create a macro to add contacts from email messages?
I'm trying to add all the senders to my current email address to my contacts. I want to create a macro to do this but I'm a serious newbie to Visual Basic. How can I do this? What's the code? If you want to do that when receiving an email, see the ItemAdd event of the Inbox (there's an example in the VBA help file). And for sent item see the ItemSend event of the Application object. In that events you can either read the SenderEmailAddress property, or all the addresses from the Recipients collection. For creating a contact see the CreateItem function. You co...

Problems Moving Database Files
Hi there, yesterday if been trying to perform a pretty usual task: Moving Exchange 2003 Databases (priv+pub edb+stm) files from one HardDisk (with Letter E:) to another HardDisk (with Letter D:) using the SystemManager. Everything worked fine, SystemManager moved the DBs without any Probs. But after a restart of the server (and removing the Harddisk for Drive E) , the store wouldn't start: "I/O Error: Cant find file E:\..." (similar quote) The Store was still looking in the old place... So I changed the drive Letter of Drive D from D to E...and the store mounted without any ...

Ranges in protected worksheet will not reset
I have a worksheet setup allow users to edit certain range areas when the sheet is protected, however, after those ranges deleted users still can edit even with the sheet protected. Any idea? Hi how have you deleted this range? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Waikele Lin wrote: > I have a worksheet setup allow users to edit certain range areas when > the sheet is protected, however, after those ranges deleted users > still can edit even with the sheet protected. Any idea? Tools>Protection>Allow Users to Edit Ranges..>Clik on the Delete button after the range i...

Public folder send
I have set up a public folder but I cannot get users to be able to send on behalf of the email address of that folder. even though they have send on behalf permission it still says they do not have permission to do this. even administrator. ...

OL2000 folder deleted
I usually save certain of my inward email traffic in a separate email folder in OL2000. I have Accidently deleted it and am unable to recover it. Undo didn't work; It was not in the Deleted folder, nothing in Recycle; Also tried a "deleted file recovery program." with no luck. Also tried the instructions in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246153. The *Deleted Item Recovery* item on the *Tools* menu doesn't show up. I even tried to restore from a .pst file and it only restored messages upto 2004 only. I'm stuck. Any help appreciated.. RJ rjbpond at bigpond.net.au ...

Moving Mailboxes #6
Olla All! I need to retire my Exchange 2003 Server. I have a new server installed with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. I will move the users mail-boxes in groups over the next couple of weeks. My question is, when I am done, are there any issues in the removal of the original Exchange server? I only use a singel mail server and am wondering if this acts as any kind of "root" either in AD or the Exchange enviorenment. What Kind of problems if any should I anticipate? Im not worried about addressing or DNS records....I have that covered, but any hints on how to reconfigur...

new excel template
good day excelers, for some strange reason when i open a new excel template it is completly grayed out.has anyone run into this, and if so is there a fix? thanks in advance wynb -- wynb Have you tried Window--Arrange, Ok. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.piersontech.com "WYN" <WYN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B1D12C3-0988-4DFB-91F1-5DE0592FEBE0@microsoft.com... > good day excelers, for some strange reason when i open a new excel template > it is completly grayed out.has anyone run into this, and if so is there a > fix? thanks in advance wy...

Migrating from old computer to new.
I'm moving from an P3/600 XP home computer to a P4/3.4 XP Media Center. On the older system i'm using Office 2000, and would like to move my Outlook ..pst over to new system with Office 2003. I tried to move the files via CD... access denied, I added the new computer to the network (peer to peer) and navigated to the files, but access was denied because I didn't have permission. I read a couple of posting here before this message and I'm somewhat confused by the terms import/export and open. Any suggestions? -- Thank you, Chris Outlook needs to have read/write access to...

share calendar with outside users ??
We have an outside company which is doing some marketing research for us. They want to be able to see our outlook calendar so they can send a scheduling request. Is there a way they can see the calendars of the users, without having access to the domain? They really need to see the calendar, but I am a bit afraid of the security risks. (this is sbs 2003 with exchange 2003 SP2) On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:24:51 +0200, "ikke" <ikke@nospam.com> wrote: >We have an outside company which is doing some marketing research for us. >They want to be able to see our outlook calenda...

New record added when debugging but not when running normally
This is weird. I was having a problem with a form writing to a table so I was running the debug to step through the code to see what the problem was. Once I figured it out and ran through the code again with the debug tool, the records added to the table correctly. Howevever, as soon as I turn off the toggle point and try to use the form, none of the data will write to the table....... Can anyone tell me what is happening here? On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:19:02 -0800 (PST), Opal <tmwelton@rogers.com> wrote: >This is weird. I was having a problem with a form writing >to a table so ...

Outlook 2003, Swedish will force i to UPPERCASE. How fix?
Hello! I have Outlook 2003 Swedish version. I have set langauge for spelling to Swedish. When I write the word: i (means in, in Swedish) Outlook will change it to uppercase I, which isn't correct in Swedish! E.g "Jag bor i Sverige" (I live in Sweden) Becomes "Jag bor I Sverige" I have look in the AutoCorrect dictionary and i -> I is not there. It feels like outlook thinks that I'm writing in English, but why? I'm running Windows XP SP2 (English version), with Default input language set to Swedish, keyboard to Swedish, Regional Formats set to Swedish. A...

Controlling how user posts a blog
Is it possible to control how items are posted on to a blog? The blog owner would like the readers to be able to respond to his posts but he doesn't want readers to create a new thread. thanks in advance ...