Internal Emails to reflect FQDN not Display Name

If I have two users in the same organization and they use Outlook or OWA I
need the email to reflect that it came from john@company.com not John Doe.
THis is for internal and external mail.  Would I make an adjustment with
ADSIEdit or elsewhere?

Thanks
0
JackVoth (19)

What version of Exchange?
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Jack Voth" <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I have two users in the same organization and they use Outlook or OWA I
> need the email to reflect that it came from john@company.com not John Doe.
> THis is for internal and external mail.  Would I make an adjustment with
> ADSIEdit or elsewhere?
>
> Thanks

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/14/2005 12:22:04 AM
I think your answer might be here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828770
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Jack Voth" <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I have two users in the same organization and they use Outlook or OWA I
> need the email to reflect that it came from john@company.com not John Doe.
> THis is for internal and external mail.  Would I make an adjustment with
> ADSIEdit or elsewhere?
>
> Thanks

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/14/2005 12:23:13 AM
Thank you I will take alook

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> I think your answer might be here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828770
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Jack Voth" <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I have two users in the same organization and they use Outlook or OWA I
> > need the email to reflect that it came from john@company.com not John Doe.
> > THis is for internal and external mail.  Would I make an adjustment with
> > ADSIEdit or elsewhere?
> >
> > Thanks

0
JackVoth (19)
9/14/2005 12:37:03 AM
My bad.... Exchange 2k3

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> What version of Exchange?
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Jack Voth" <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I have two users in the same organization and they use Outlook or OWA I
> > need the email to reflect that it came from john@company.com not John Doe.
> > THis is for internal and external mail.  Would I make an adjustment with
> > ADSIEdit or elsewhere?
> >
> > Thanks

0
JackVoth (19)
9/14/2005 12:37:04 AM
No, that didn't work...  It is still coming across as john Doe not
john@company.com...  For whatever reason senior management wants the "From"
to show the fqdn not the display name.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> I think your answer might be here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828770
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Jack Voth" <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I have two users in the same organization and they use Outlook or OWA I
> > need the email to reflect that it came from john@company.com not John Doe.
> > THis is for internal and external mail.  Would I make an adjustment with
> > ADSIEdit or elsewhere?
> >
> > Thanks

0
JackVoth (19)
9/14/2005 12:56:02 AM
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:56:02 -0700, Jack Voth
<JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>No, that didn't work...  It is still coming across as john Doe not
>john@company.com...  For whatever reason senior management wants the "From"
>to show the fqdn not the display name.

Why not make the display name the smtp address?

>"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I think your answer might be here:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828770
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Jack Voth" <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > If I have two users in the same organization and they use Outlook or OWA I
>> > need the email to reflect that it came from john@company.com not John Doe.
>> > THis is for internal and external mail.  Would I make an adjustment with
>> > ADSIEdit or elsewhere?
>> >
>> > Thanks

0
adavid (8731)
9/14/2005 1:30:23 AM
EXACTLY!!!!  Now how can I make the Display name format the fqdn?  Or I guess
I could script it maybe...

"Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:56:02 -0700, Jack Voth
> <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >No, that didn't work...  It is still coming across as john Doe not
> >john@company.com...  For whatever reason senior management wants the "From"
> >to show the fqdn not the display name.
>
> Why not make the display name the smtp address?
>

> >"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I think your answer might be here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828770
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "Jack Voth" <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
JackVoth (19)
9/14/2005 1:43:01 AM
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:43:01 -0700, Jack Voth
<JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>EXACTLY!!!!  Now how can I make the Display name format the fqdn?  Or I guess
>I could script it maybe...

You can change the display name in ADUC.

>"Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:56:02 -0700, Jack Voth
>> <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >No, that didn't work...  It is still coming across as john Doe not
>> >john@company.com...  For whatever reason senior management wants the "From"
>> >to show the fqdn not the display name.
>>
>> Why not make the display name the smtp address?

0
adavid (8731)
9/14/2005 2:09:31 AM
THat is true...  I was wondering if I could change the schema so the value of
the display name is the FQDN and not first, middle, last name...  I have
50,000 of them to do....

"Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:43:01 -0700, Jack Voth
> <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >EXACTLY!!!!  Now how can I make the Display name format the fqdn?  Or I guess
> >I could script it maybe...
>
> You can change the display name in ADUC.
>

> >"Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote:

> >> Why not make the display name the smtp address?

0
JackVoth (19)
9/14/2005 2:26:02 AM
I figured it out...  ADSIEdit, Configuration COntainer, Display Specifier
CN=409,
CreateDialog.  Put it in there...  That was fun.

"Jack Voth" wrote:

> THat is true...  I was wondering if I could change the schema so the value of
> the display name is the FQDN and not first, middle, last name...  I have
> 50,000 of them to do....
>
> "Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:43:01 -0700, Jack Voth
> > <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >EXACTLY!!!!  Now how can I make the Display name format the fqdn?  Or I guess
> > >I could script it maybe...
> >
> > You can change the display name in ADUC.

0
JackVoth (19)
9/14/2005 3:17:03 AM
Jack Voth <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>No, that didn't work...  It is still coming across as john Doe not
>john@company.com...  For whatever reason senior management wants the "From"
>to show the fqdn not the display name.

Try this, instead (at least for outbound mail):

XCON: How to Disable Sending Friendly Names Outside the Exchange 2000
Organization [244164]

Having the SMTP address show up in the "From:" header for *internal*
messages probably isn't a good idea. Having the *external* mail remain
in SMTP address format while the *internal* mail is in the familiar
"display name" format is a good idea as it gives the recipient some
ide whether the mail came from inside the organiztion (and is
therefore more trustworthy) or from outside the organization and
should be regarded with more suspicion.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
message news:di1fi1581qt8gr017e2jsngkcs8kgaa7cv@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:43:01 -0700, Jack Voth
> <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>EXACTLY!!!!  Now how can I make the Display name format the fqdn?  Or I
>>guess
>>I could script it maybe...
>
> You can change the display name in ADUC.
>

>>"Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote:

>>> Why not make the display name the smtp address?

0
curspice6401 (3487)
9/14/2005 4:27:28 AM
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 19:26:02 -0700, Jack Voth
<JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>THat is true...  I was wondering if I could change the schema so the value of
>the display name is the FQDN and not first, middle, last name...  I have
>50,000 of them to do....

Oh, I thought you said,..."If I have two users in the same
organization ..."

Anyway, I still do not understand the requirement for this and would
recommmend against it myself.

>"Andy David - Exchange MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:43:01 -0700, Jack Voth
>> <JackVoth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >EXACTLY!!!!  Now how can I make the Display name format the fqdn?  Or I guess
>> >I could script it maybe...
>>
>> You can change the display name in ADUC.

0
adavid (8731)

External Account From The Same Domain Name.
Hi everybody, I have a problem and i hope somebody could help me. We have a customer with an Exchange 2003 in a Windows SBS 2003 environment. We have setup an SMTP connector to send mails to the ISP's SMTP Server since their ISP would not let them send email unless it went through their servers. Users of the organisation are receiving their mails through a POP3 Connector. The problem is that the company has another branch in another place and the users who work there are receiving their mails through the ISP directly. Because these users don't belong to the organisation, nobody insid...

Recover emails from a broken PST file.
Hi, I am putting this request in from a friend who has the following issue: I would like to know if anyone has access to the draft of the .pst specification/standard that Microsoft has promised to release early next year. I need this so that I can recover emails from a broken pst file. This file cannot be recovered with scanpst or linux tools such as those within the libpff library nor libpst. This file was carved out from a disk and perhaps not chained properly - i.e., may be not complete or contain improper clusters. I receive multiple errors in regards to wrong checksum as well...

Outlook 2003
More than 50% of my contacts do not have email addresses, so it therefore clutters the Address book unnecessarily. Is there anyway to allow the address book (the popup which appears when clicking on "To:") to only show contacts that have email addresses? I can use categories to assign contacts as ValidEmailUser, but I can't seem to find a way to force the address book popup form, to show based on a category. Thanks. That's odd. I have never seen the Outlook Address Book display Contacts without electronic addresses. It simply won't do that. Do these Contacts ...

Same Email message to recipients
Hi I have to each month send out notification to my customers who use Euros about the exchange rate for the coming months (its about 10 people). I know its not much but what a pain it is to send individual emails. As its each month as well I haev to try and remember who the euro peeps are What also i dont want them to see is each others email addresses as they are competitors. SO my question is, how do I send out one eamil to a group of recipients without them seeing who else it has gone to? If it would be appropriate, keep all of them in "BCC". Otherwise you ...

sent emails?
When i send an email the person on the other end will see the wrong person it is from. I have reset everything in my out look but cant seem to get the last person that was here, his name off the sent emails. Please provide the following information: 1) Version of Outlook 2) Email environment (Exchange, POP3, etc.) 3) Are you using a PST? If so, what size is it? 4) Are there any error messages or numbers? 5) Are there any errors in your application event viewer that relates to Office or Outlook? 6) What troubleshooting steps have you taken yourself? PS What do you mean, the last person ...

how do you hide a name from the globel address book?
in exchange 2K. Thanks ADUC Properties of the user Exch Advanced Check the Hide from Address Lists box On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:34:05 -0400, "Dooma" <Say-no-to-spam@hotmail.com> wrote: >in exchange 2K. > >Thanks > Thanks. Sorry I missed it. "Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:aii4k014g54q5v7dic5a7r568lq31moanr@4ax.com... > ADUC > Properties of the user > Exch Advanced > Check the Hide from Address Lists box > > > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:34:05 -0400, "Dooma" &...

Q: Referencing named cells in external worksheet ?
Using Excel 2002. I have a workbook with 12 worksheets (one for every month of the year), wherein a lot of the information is looked-up (using VLOOKUP) in simples arrays. I saw no point in implementing the arrays as a 13th worksheet, because I will have a yearly version of my monthly worksheets in one workbook (so one for 2003, 2004, etc). If I change the array(s), I want them to be reflected in all referencing cells. Problem: If my workbook containing my arrays (called "Global") is loaded, I have no problem and the references to it read as: (blabla) 'Global.xls'!Roster ...

trouble receiving a forwarded email
When someone forwards an email to me not all of the message is received. It stops about 3/4 of the way down the page or sometimes the 1st page is there but not page 2. I am using Outlook 2000 SR-1. My computer is Windows 98. Our Server is Windows 2000. No one else is having this problem. ...

Cannot add customer statement email address in Smartlist
On the Debtor Maintenance Options screen you can chose the checkbox to Send Email Statements to a customer and then enter the To, CC or BCC email addresses. In Smartlist under the Customer folder, while you can choose to add the Send Email Statements column you cannot select to add the To, CC or BCC email address fields. You should be able to do this so you can easily view the information. These columns should be standard columns that you can select for Customers. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most vo...

Calcualting the time between email received date and reply date
Hi My boss wants data as to within how many days a reply was sent to a message. Is it possible in microsoft outlook to find out after how many days a message got replied? Thanks Shanks Shanks <Shanks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My boss wants data as to within how many days a reply was sent to a > message. Is it possible in microsoft outlook to find out after how > many days a message got replied? WIth Outlook 2003, one can observe the received time and compare it to the "You replied" time shown in the Info Bar. -- Brian Tillman Hi Brian Is there a...

Pivot tables, linking to a named range as a source to a pivot table
I have created a main worksheet within the same workbook of many pivot tables, and I want to use this same worksheet as the source of information to these different pivot table sheets off of which I create charts. I want to use a named range because there are over 4,000 rows in this main worksheet. I am not sure if I need a "=" to start the reference or what to do. I thought I should just use nameofworksheet!database if I name the range "database", but when I point and click to the sheet, it is just inserting the name "database" without the name of the...

downloading emails
I have been having trouble with outlook ever since Wanadoo discontinued their newsgroup service; I accessed it through outlook express and the "news" folder of outlook. Yesterday Outlook crashed and I have had to re-install it from scratch. Now however I cannot get it to send or receive emails. When I worked my way through the wizard setting it up it did send out the test email and that can be opened in outlook express so it appears to be connected properly Every time I try I am getting this menu and no matter how often I click OK I do not get past it:- "Enter Net Password &qu...

Duplicate emails received (two copies)
I am receiving two copies of each received email. What could cause this problem? Thank You, Dan ...

Outlook 2003 AutoArchive Deletes emails
1000+ users on our domains have been having an issue where they run AutoArchive and a large number of their non-expired emails are moved to the Deleted Items folder of their Personal Folder File (or, if one doesn't exist, one is created on their hard drive) and the items in the Deleted Items folder of their PFF are deleted completely and must be recovered. After that point, any items placed in the PFF under Inbox will be sucked into Deleted Items in the Archive/PFF each time. We have checked the settings on 10+ machines and the only way to prevent this problem from occuring is to manuall...

How to prevent breaks in sentences within a paragraph when email
When I type a paragraph within an email, it looks great, even after I've added words to the sentence, or changed the sentence structure. Then I send the email, and sometimes send it to myself, but the sentences and paragraph are chopped up, and the idea doesn't "flow" like I wanted it to. Any suggestions on how I can keep the sentences together so they make more sense? I have looked at every option in "Tools", but haven't found a solution. Thanks. Are you using HTML or plain text? HTML will generally keep the same formatting while plain text ...

where do I find a shortcut lists for international characters
Is there a quick printout I can access in order to use spanish characters in my typing without having to do lots of special set ups? At my school we use a software satelite service and accessing the control panels and such is a non-existing concept for me. I am using Office 2003 Publisher. Insert, symbol List here http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/spanish.html -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "The Spaish Teacher" <The Spaish Teacher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Collecting Range Name values to VBA
I have a worksheet "Setup" where users type in a date in a cell named "ChtDte" and a path and database name in a cell named "FLName". I am using DOA to connect to a database and return a record set. The query used "qryCOCostwRates" uses a date paramater. Because this sheet will be used by several users all pointing to the database in different locations, I need to know where they have the database. I need to get the values in these two range names in the setup tab of the spreadsheet so I can connect to the data, and provide a value for ...

Exchange 12 UM-Email
How many Exchange servers do you need if you want to use Exchange as a UM server and your Email server? With all the configurable Roles Exchange server now has which ones are need to accomplish what function? At the launch event, they strongly recommended that the unified messaging stuff be on its own server. Ray "VIDRO" <VIDRO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F632EA6-0E00-4ED0-B789-7620C9789377@microsoft.com... > How many Exchange servers do you need if you want to use Exchange as a UM > server and your Email server? > With all the configurab...

How many decimal places can a cell display?
How many decimal places can be displayed in a cell? I'm running a brute force VBA procedure of finding fractions that will approximate pi to as many decimal places as Excel will display, but I don't know how many decimal places Excel will display accurately. Anybody know? I guess this is also a matter of how many decimal places VBA will calculate accurately as well. Sub PiFractions() Dim dividend As Integer, divisor As Integer, quotient As Double Dim rowpointer As Byte rowpointer = 1 For dividend = 22 To 10000 For divisor = 7 To dividend \ 3 quotient = dividend / diviso...

COUNT /COUNTIF for Multiple Column Defined Dynamic Named Range
Hi, Would like to use Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" in Formula. The Dynami Named Range "RESULTS" spans 30 COLUMNS and many ROWS. Need help with Formula to COUNT specified criteria in each separat COLUMN of the Defined Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS". Looking for on Formula that can be adapted with an OFFSET / INDEX to work on the othe COLUMNS. Example Results required from Formula: COLUMN 1 in Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" - COUNT instances of numbe 75 COLUMN 2 in Dynamic Named Range "RESULTS" - COUNT instances of numbe 75 COLUMN 30 in Dy...

Pictures not opening. Little red X. email address
My email address should anyone have the answer to the question I posted today about pics not opening in forwarded email. thanks. This is caused by using WORD as your editor and having your options in word set to "Show placeholder" for pictures. Open Word, Select Options and poke around a bit until you see the option, then turn it off. -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "cr" <crrsr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:00de01c3dc69$5c3c0520$a501280a@phx.gbl... My email address should anyone have the answer to the question I posted today about pics not opening in forw...

Blank Email messages are being received
(1) When the attachments go missing on replied messages,I hope the client settings were set to include attachments in replies This setting was set to include the attachments in the replies. (2) Are there any error messages in the application event log of exchange? I've looked for events that might indicate a problem, but I don't really see anything relevant. (3) How often does this happen ? The frequency is very random and not wide spread, initially, I thought that this was a user error until I witnessed a couple of users experience this problem first hand. 4) Is there an...

Email Publisher document as body of email
I have always created a Pub. document and then sent it as the body of an email. Now when I choose that option, it scrambles it up and puts template headings, etc. on my document. What happened that I can't continue to send as body of email as I created it? "sgalovich" wrote: > I have always created a Pub. document and then sent it as the body of an > email. Now when I choose that option, it scrambles it up and puts template > headings, etc. on my document. What happened that I can't continue to send > as body of email as I created it? "sgalov...

Outlook 2003-can't send or receive emails
I have Outlook 2003 with Windows XP Operating system. My ISP is Earthlink. When I try to send/receive in Outlook, I get the error message: The operation failed. An object could not be found. I have gone through my settings, and all are set as recommended. My test message is received in my earthlink mailbox, but I cannot retrieve it in Outlook. I have no trouble with my earthlink mailbox. I have tried using Detect & Repair - no results. How can I fix this? Thanks ...

Searching Recipients' Names for Emails
How do I set Outlook 2002 so that the names in the "Select Names" box will be listed last name first when I'm trying to find names to address my emails? See your answer to the later question posted. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, bioflyer7@yahoo.com asked: | How do I set Outlook 2002 so that the names in | the "Select Names" ...