Intelligent Message Filter- can the junk email feature be turned o

I am wondering if there is a reg hack or other method of running the
Intelligent Message Filter but disabling the feature to send stuff to junk
email?  I have temporarily uninstalled it for customer since there were too
many complaints about stuff going into to junk email.  The filter capacity
for the most part works pretty well and what is going into archieve looks
like SPAM with only minor exceptions.

I was looking at reinstalling the Intelligent Message Filter and not setting
the second setting –Store Junk Email Configuration.  Although I intially had
the settings SCL lower I raised them to  9 for the archive and 9 for the junk
email. This was a better configuration for our enviroment since we have
another program scanning email on the outside of the firewall before sending
to the Exchange 2003 server.    However since client side we are not all on
Outlook 2003 customers are having issues configuring junk email – so until we
wrap up upgrading the clients I need to disable mail going to junk email.  I
tried to undo the second setting however once configured you can only choose
a number also known as a SCL rating.

Also we host 64 DNS domain name spaces and get mail from multiple domains.
It would be very helpful to have “white lists” at the Exchange Gateway to
always get mail from these domains -these are only DNS name spaces and not AD
domains or trusted forests.  From my readings and working with the interface,
I only find the ability to white list (safe senders / safe receiptants) at
the outlook client.  I realize one can export and import lists however,
cutomer does not want to touch 700 workstations.

So I am wondering if I unistall (which I have already redone), reboot (which
will be done Friday before the holiday weekend) and reinstall will I be able
to put a null value into the message delivery properties?  Or will there
already be a setting left from the last install?  Or does this SCL rating on
Junk email always have to be configured?

We do want to keep the archive feature and archive what is actual SPAM.

Any reply is greatly appreciated.

--
Sue Zwick
0

Let me clarify the first paragraph - want to keep Intelligent Message Filter
for Archive only.  Want to disable IMF for Junk email.
--
Sue Zwick

"Sue Zwick" wrote:

> I am wondering if there is a reg hack or other method of running the
> Intelligent Message Filter but disabling the feature to send stuff to junk
> email?  I have temporarily uninstalled it for customer since there were too
> many complaints about stuff going into to junk email.  The filter capacity
> for the most part works pretty well and what is going into archieve looks
> like SPAM with only minor exceptions.
>
> I was looking at reinstalling the Intelligent Message Filter and not setting
> the second setting –Store Junk Email Configuration.  Although I intially had
> the settings SCL lower I raised them to  9 for the archive and 9 for the junk
> email. This was a better configuration for our enviroment since we have
> another program scanning email on the outside of the firewall before sending
> to the Exchange 2003 server.    However since client side we are not all on
> Outlook 2003 customers are having issues configuring junk email – so until we
> wrap up upgrading the clients I need to disable mail going to junk email.  I
> tried to undo the second setting however once configured you can only choose
> a number also known as a SCL rating.
>
> Also we host 64 DNS domain name spaces and get mail from multiple domains.
> It would be very helpful to have “white lists” at the Exchange Gateway to
> always get mail from these domains -these are only DNS name spaces and not AD
> domains or trusted forests.  From my readings and working with the interface,
> I only find the ability to white list (safe senders / safe receiptants) at
> the outlook client.  I realize one can export and import lists however,
> cutomer does not want to touch 700 workstations.
>
> So I am wondering if I unistall (which I have already redone), reboot (which
> will be done Friday before the holiday weekend) and reinstall will I be able
> to put a null value into the message delivery properties?  Or will there
> already be a setting left from the last install?  Or does this SCL rating on
> Junk email always have to be configured?
>
> We do want to keep the archive feature and archive what is actual SPAM.
>
> Any reply is greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Sue Zwick
0
SueZwick (2)
5/26/2005 3:10:03 PM
Hi Sue,
Well let me first start off by saying you cannot remove or delete the Junk
E-mail folder in Outlook 2003. It is a system folder just like the Inbox and
Deleted Items folders. You cannot remove or disable the Store Junk E-mail
Configuration in IMF either. Your only option is on the coient side of
Oulook to "Permanently delete suspected junk email instead of moving it to
the Junk Email folder" option. It appears to me that you need to adjust your
SCL ratings. Take a look at my Performance Logs from IMF. If you notice the
last line "Total UCE Messages Acted Upon" = 1130 and if you add up the
totals for the SCL ratings 5 thru 9 you will match the total. So what does
that tell me? That most likely anything coming in with an SCL rating of 5 or
less is most likely legitimate. That is how I calculated my SCL ratings and
like I said legitimate emails getting blocked or sent to the Junk Email
folder is not a problem with me. There is a misconception that when people
do not want email going to the users Junk E-mail folder they raise there SCL
rating to the highest of 9 that it would solve their issues. Wrong. think
about it. If I set my SCL threshold rating to "5" then most of my junk
E-mail is going to get deleted or archieved depending on what my setting is
at and never have the option to be filtered by the Stroe Junk Email
Configuration. Which means that if my Store Junk E-mail Configuration is
also set to "5" then the emails that made it past can most likely be
legitimate emails that I would like my users to view and confirm they are or
are not Junk e-mail. Those that don't get delivered to my users Junk Email
folder I can view in the archieve folder. Remember that what the systems
says is junk may not necessary be Junk to my user. So the jist of the story
here is to eliminate that amount of Junk E-mail going to your users Junk
Email folder and for me the way I have it set up is perfectly working just
fine. I hope this visual will help you see the inportance of the correct SCL
ratings to use.

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\% UCE out
of Total Messages Scanned
      63.98640997

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total
Messages Assigned an SCL Rating of 0
      374

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total
Messages Assigned an SCL Rating of 1
      109

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total
Messages Assigned an SCL Rating of 2
      45

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total
Messages Assigned an SCL Rating of 3
      39

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total
Messages Assigned an SCL Rating of 4
      69

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total
Messages Assigned an SCL Rating of 5
      210

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total
Messages Assigned an SCL Rating of 6
      133

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total
Messages Assigned an SCL Rating of 7
      228

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total
Messages Assigned an SCL Rating of 8
      377

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total
Messages Assigned an SCL Rating of 9
      182

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total
Messages Scanned for UCE
      1766

      \\MyServerName\MSExchange Intelligent Message Filter(_Total)\Total UCE
Messages Acted Upon
      1130

"Sue Zwick" <SueZwick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am wondering if there is a reg hack or other method of running the
> Intelligent Message Filter but disabling the feature to send stuff to junk
> email?  I have temporarily uninstalled it for customer since there were
> too
> many complaints about stuff going into to junk email.  The filter capacity
> for the most part works pretty well and what is going into archieve looks
> like SPAM with only minor exceptions.
>
> I was looking at reinstalling the Intelligent Message Filter and not
> setting
> the second setting -Store Junk Email Configuration.  Although I intially
> had
> the settings SCL lower I raised them to  9 for the archive and 9 for the
> junk
> email. This was a better configuration for our enviroment since we have
> another program scanning email on the outside of the firewall before
> sending
> to the Exchange 2003 server.    However since client side we are not all
> on
> Outlook 2003 customers are having issues configuring junk email - so until
> we
> wrap up upgrading the clients I need to disable mail going to junk email.
> tried to undo the second setting however once configured you can only
> choose
> a number also known as a SCL rating.
>
> Also we host 64 DNS domain name spaces and get mail from multiple domains.
> It would be very helpful to have "white lists" at the Exchange Gateway to
> always get mail from these domains -these are only DNS name spaces and not
> AD
> domains or trusted forests.  From my readings and working with the
> interface,
> I only find the ability to white list (safe senders / safe receiptants) at
> the outlook client.  I realize one can export and import lists however,
> cutomer does not want to touch 700 workstations.
>
> So I am wondering if I unistall (which I have already redone), reboot
> (which
> will be done Friday before the holiday weekend) and reinstall will I be
> able
> to put a null value into the message delivery properties?  Or will there
> already be a setting left from the last install?  Or does this SCL rating
> on
> Junk email always have to be configured?
>
> We do want to keep the archive feature and archive what is actual SPAM.
>
> Any reply is greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Sue Zwick

0
allen2494 (55)
5/26/2005 4:18:38 PM
You can do this fairly easily.
Just set the Gateway blocking SCL equal to the Store Junk Email SCL.

If you still get emails deposited into Junk Email than that means that the
issue is on the client side. You will need to disable Junk Email filter
either through Outlook03 or OWA.

Have a look at this FAQ (taken from IMF Tune). It explains how to enable
Junk Email. It should be quite easy to do the reverse process from it :)
http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/faqs/p03_howto3.htm

From OL03 set the filtering to No Automatic Filtering
From OWA clear the Filter Junk E-mail checkbox.

cheers,

Alexander Zammit
Software Development Consultant
Check out, ExchangeInbox.com the new MS Exchange Resource site at
http://www.exchangeinbox.com/

> [...]
>> domains or trusted forests.  From my readings and working with the
>> interface,
>> I only find the ability to white list (safe senders / safe receiptants)
>> at
>> the outlook client.  I realize one can export and import lists however,
>> cutomer does not want to touch 700 workstations.
>>
>> So I am wondering if I unistall (which I have already redone), reboot
>> (which
>> will be done Friday before the holiday weekend) and reinstall will I be
>> able
>> to put a null value into the message delivery properties?  Or will there
>> already be a setting left from the last install?  Or does this SCL rating
>> on
>> Junk email always have to be configured?
>>
>> We do want to keep the archive feature and archive what is actual SPAM.

0
alex6014 (110)