Installing Exchange 2003 after Exchange 2007?

Ok - this is going to sound backwards, but bear with me.  We have an
Exchange 2000 server that's served the department for years.  For all
intents and purposes, this server is stand-alone - meaning there are
no other Exchange servers in the organization and there are no
external gateways either.  Problem is that now this server is slowly
failing.

We also have a brand new Exchange 2007 server that was recently
installed.  It works great so far, but there are very few antivirus
products out there that support this version.  What's worse is that
our own vendor won't be able to provide us with a 2007 capable product
until July and I've got 100 users that want all of the new features
yesterday.

So in the interim, we want to put up a 2003 server to act as an
antivirus gateway.  It would be replacing the Exchange 2000 server and
handling inbound/outbound mail with the currently licensed antivirus
product.  We already have the licensing for Exchange 2003, so that's
not an issue for me.  The only thing is - what do I need to be on the
lookout for when I install this machine into our organization?  Will I
have issues with routing?  Do I have to first uninstall 2007, then
install 2003, and finally re-install 2007 to have a supported
configuration?

I've been searching for information before I do anything, but so far
my searches haven't yielded much information since the situation is a
little unusual.  I guess I'm just questionining if it's possible to
install 2003 after installing 2007 without having issues.  Any tips or
advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

0
drsmithhm (6)

Could you explain your AD domain(forest,tree,domain)?
Are both exchange servers located in the same forest?

In news:1172066166.396253.207110@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com,
drsmith <drsmithhm@hotmail.com> typed:
> Ok - this is going to sound backwards, but bear with me.  We have an
> Exchange 2000 server that's served the department for years.  For all
> intents and purposes, this server is stand-alone - meaning there are
> no other Exchange servers in the organization and there are no
> external gateways either.  Problem is that now this server is slowly
> failing.
>
> We also have a brand new Exchange 2007 server that was recently
> installed.  It works great so far, but there are very few antivirus
> products out there that support this version.  What's worse is that
> our own vendor won't be able to provide us with a 2007 capable product
> until July and I've got 100 users that want all of the new features
> yesterday.
>
> So in the interim, we want to put up a 2003 server to act as an
> antivirus gateway.  It would be replacing the Exchange 2000 server and
> handling inbound/outbound mail with the currently licensed antivirus
> product.  We already have the licensing for Exchange 2003, so that's
> not an issue for me.  The only thing is - what do I need to be on the
> lookout for when I install this machine into our organization?  Will I
> have issues with routing?  Do I have to first uninstall 2007, then
> install 2003, and finally re-install 2007 to have a supported
> configuration?
>
> I've been searching for information before I do anything, but so far
> my searches haven't yielded much information since the situation is a
> little unusual.  I guess I'm just questionining if it's possible to
> install 2003 after installing 2007 without having issues.  Any tips or
> advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

I can't address the specifics, but one suggestion - rather than using
Exchange for this at all (it seems kind of silly to mess around with this
when it's only a temporary need), you might consider using - a third party
service such as Postini or MailFoundry, which would receive your domain's
mail, filter/scrub it for spam and viruses, and then route the good stuff to
your own Exchange server (with user access to quarantined items).

Or see whether your perimeter firewall/gateway has any antivirus/antispam
services it can use. Etc. I've become a big fan of outsourcing this stuff
anyway, as time goes by....and even use it when I've also got good local AV
stuff in place. Just a thought.

0
lanwench (7567)
2/21/2007 3:23:38 PM
On Feb 21, 10:23 am, "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwe...@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote:
> Or see whether your perimeter firewall/gateway has any antivirus/antispam
> services it can use. Etc. I've become a big fan of outsourcing this stuff
> anyway, as time goes by....and even use it when I've also got good local AV
> stuff in place. Just a thought.

A good suggestion, but due to regulations/red tape/legal issues I
can't forward my company mail to a third party.  It would take longer
to get through negotiating the contract than it would be to just sit
and pray the existing exchange server keeps running until July.

To answer the other question about the configuration of the forest/
domain, it's as simple as it can get:  One forest and one domain with
no outside trusts.  In fact, the AD has only one site, also.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

0
drsmithhm (6)

SBS 2003 and Email Not Receiving

[Access 2007] How to edit custom menubar created in Access2003?
Hello, This is my first post to this server, Hello everyone. We're working on a database created by my collegue in MS Access 2003. Since some time we've moved to MS Access 2007. Now we find problems editing the menubar. Each time we want to remove/add/alter a menu item my collegue goes to his MS Access 2003 and changes a menu. In 2007 the full menubar is visible under Add-Ins ribbon menu. Normally there should be a system table USysRibbon, but it is not there. There are only MSys* objects. How can we change the menubar directly in MS Access 2007? Is that possible at al...

Running Money 2003 in Vista

Monitor Server in 2003?

Outlook 2003
Just bought new PC. Everything is Microsoft. XP Home - Microsoft Works (came installed) - User like to use MSN for e-mail, Sent Microsoft $300.00 to activate Office that came installed on machine. Word will not allow MSN to be the e-mail client. System crashed and burned after activation of Office. Outlook 2003 seems a little unstable. Why would a new PC with Works, Office Express and Outlook 2003 be shipped? All these programs do the same thing and they don't seem to talk with each other well. On top of this all she wants to do is use Word and send the document through MSN nor...

Re-install Outlook 2002

Office 2007 forms

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

Outlook 2007 addresses
How can I find the list of addresses I have sent emails to? When you start a new email you can put a letter in the To line and list will come up. Where is that list? How can I print it out? Thanks Matt that is the autocomplete cache. You would need a utility to print it out. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040621.htm http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nicknamecache.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Out...

Outlook 2007 Install gone wrong

SBS 2003 moving of users files

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

Office installation and Windows 7

Moving Exchange #5

Backing Up Exchange Database

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Exchange 2003 IMAP and Postini

Outlook 2003

Outlook 2003 rules question again