Increasing the Exchange sp2 storage limit

As we all know by now sp2 for Exch2k3 increases the storage limit to 18GB and
can be increased to as much as 75GB for the standard edition. Is this a valid
modification supported by Microsoft or is it a registry hack?

My concern is the release of an Windows update that would nullify the
storage increase.
0
bernardl (11)

Read the Release Notes for SP2, it's a valid modification but you need to
insert a registry value to bump it from SP2's default to any size up to 75
Gb. (Some orgs may not want the store to get to that size, so being able to
control it is a good thing, imo).
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"bernardl" <bernardl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As we all know by now sp2 for Exch2k3 increases the storage limit to 18GB
> and
> can be increased to as much as 75GB for the standard edition. Is this a
> valid
> modification supported by Microsoft or is it a registry hack?
>
> My concern is the release of an Windows update that would nullify the
> storage increase.

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
11/19/2005 12:30:58 AM
bernardl wrote:
> As we all know by now sp2 for Exch2k3 increases the storage limit to 18GB and
> can be increased to as much as 75GB for the standard edition. Is this a valid
> modification supported by Microsoft or is it a registry hack?
>
> My concern is the release of an Windows update that would nullify the
> storage increase.

Unfortunately microsoft didn't include a GUI to do this, as simple as
that would have been.    Whip out regedit and:

On the computer running Exchange Server, start Regedit.exe.

To configure the database size limit on a mailbox store, open the
following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Server
name\Private-Mailbox Store GUID

To configure the database size limit on a public store, open the
following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Server
name\Public-Public Store GUID

Right-click Public (or Private) Store GUID, point to New, and then click
DWORD Value.
For the new value name, type "Database Size Limit in Gb"
Double-click Database Size Limit in Gb. In Value data, type an
appropriate value for maximum database size in GB. For Exchange Server
2003 Standard Edition, type a value between 1 and 75 (the default is 18
GB). For Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, type a value between 1
and 8000 (the default is 8000 GB). Click OK.

Right-click Public (or Private) Store GUID, point to New, and then click
DWORD Value.

For the new value name, type "Database Size Buffer in Percentage"
..
Double-click Database Size Buffer in Percentage. In Value data, type a
value between 1 and 100 to specify when you want events to be logged to
warn you that you are nearing the maximum size for a database. The
default value of 10 will result in warning events to be logged when you
have 10 percent capacity left before you reach the maximum size for that
database. Click OK.

Right-click Public (or Private) Store GUID, point to New, and then click
DWORD Value.

For the new name, type "Database Size Check Start Time in Hours From
Midnight".

Double-click Database Size Check Start Time in Hours From Midnight. In
Value data, type a value between 0 and 23 to specify when you want
Exchange to check the database size. The default value of 5 results in
Exchange Server checking the database size 5 hours after midnight (5:00
AM). Click OK.

Close Registry Editor.

Not sure where i got these instructions from or else i'd give credit,
might have been MSKB or EHLO.

--
Sincerely,
Daniel S. Tate,

--
Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm for how to make good post.

Text from most dialog boxes can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

0
kpalagin (1838)
11/19/2005 12:06:54 PM
It's via registry as the others have said.

"bernardl" <bernardl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As we all know by now sp2 for Exch2k3 increases the storage limit to 18GB
> and
> can be increased to as much as 75GB for the standard edition. Is this a
> valid
> modification supported by Microsoft or is it a registry hack?
>
> My concern is the release of an Windows update that would nullify the
> storage increase.

0
exchange.mvp (559)

# of mailbox limits on 2003
My first Exchange 2003 server is getting ready to be installed and I can't seem to find anywhere if there is a recommendation on how many mailboxes should be on one server. We are running the enterprise edition. Are there suggested limits - or does it matter because of the multiple storage groups? TIA Nancy Stevens nstevens@tycoint.com There may be a physical limitation WAY up there, but I am not sure. You would really have to gauge it on the size of the accounts, amount of email traffic in/out/across/through, connection method for the users, & more. 1000 mailboxes @ 100M each...

Exchange Intelligent Message Filter
Hi All, I know there are performance monitors and events log but I can't find any logs for the IMF Is there any log for the IMF ? According to the deployment whitepaper, performance and event logs are the only "log" areas. "Idan" <idan_le@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OmrN5F5SEHA.3768@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi All, > > I know there are performance monitors and events log but I can't find any > logs for the IMF > Is there any log for the IMF ? > > ...

Exchange 5.5 mailbox's over 5GB
I am running Exchange 5.5 and have a couple of users that have mailbox's over 4/5 GB and the Exchange administrator is reporting them having a size of 0. Any ideas or tools that I can use to show actual sizes of these or all mailbox's that I can export to a viewable format. What version of Outlook are you using as a client? If you use Outlook 200 or newer (cant remember if Outlook 98 hase this feature but I know that Outlook 97 doesn't) you could select properties on the mailbox and then press the button Foldersize (I don't know if this is the correct name of the button sinc...

Exchange Sync Issue

Exchange Server 2003 not allowing message forwarding to external e
Using SBS 2003 with Exhcange Server 2003. Using Outlook 2003. Created a rule for forward a copy of all mail to my hotmail account. When I process the rule, the mail is not sent. Wondering if by default Exchange blocks forwarding of mail to external accounts. If so, how can I open this up for a specified address? Yes, Exchange 2003 blocks forwards and replies to the Internet by default. Your Exchange admin is a very wise person to leave it this way. Company mail should never end up in Hotmail, Yahoo! mail, or any ISP mail. Let's not get started on mail loops. --� Milly Staple...

Exchange 5.5 #27
How can I free up some disk space on my Exchange 5.5 Server. The folder called exchsrvr is 90GB in size. The following are taking up all the space on the Server: The Priv.edb and Pub.edb under the MDBDATA subfolder. Also, the IN and OUT folder under the IMCDATA subfolder which contain Archive Folders. VJ - When's the last time you ran a defrag on the database? I inherited a message store that I thought was huge - 10gb for a 20 person user base. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? kbid=143233 For information on where to begin. I gained 30% on the first run....

Exchange 2003 local delivery queue issue
I have an Exchange 2003 server running on Windows 2k3 all updates applied. Whenever i try to send an email to everyone in the comany through a distribution list called "Everyone" the message will not deliver to all recipients. I am getting Event ID: 327 Source: MS Exchange Transport Category: Exchange Store Driver. The event mentions this error code: EcLocallyDeliverMsg to the store failed. Error code : -2147221240. The NDR report states: This message was rejected due to the current administrative policy by the destination server. Please retry at a later time. If that fails,...

Exchange server/OL problem after creating site/subnet
One domain. Total of 5 win 2k DC's in the organization, 2 in the main office, 1 each in the other branch offices. The main office is 10.91.x.x while the branch office is 10.31.x.x, 10.51.x.x, and 10.85.x.x. So far we can't seem to figure out this problem which has happened twice already when we try to do this: In AD sites and services, create a site for one of the branch office, create a subnet associated with that branch office, associate the subnet with the site, move the DC of that branch office to the created site. A few minutes after the above is done, either: 1. People who...

Saving Word documents into Outlook / Exchange folders
I have found it is possible via Windows Explorer to click on a Word document and drag it to an Outlook folder. Is it possible to save aword document directly to an Outlook / Exchange folder, say via "Save As"? If so, what would the file path need to be? Thank you for any help you can give yo point me in the right direction. JohnJJ JohnJJ <JohnJJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have found it is possible via Windows Explorer to click > on a Word document and drag it to an Outlook folder. Is > it possible to save aword document directly to an > Outloo...

Exchange 5.5sp4 on Win2k Relays even when restrictions are properly Set!
I have seen a situation where the server was set up correctly and was still relaying mail. Settings were set and unset. IMC was deleted and re-configured properly (as it was before) and SP4 was re-applied all to no avail. This also included restarting the server as well. The guest account was not enabled and all user account and administrator passwords had been changed to very complex passwords. Authenticated relay was disabled. It was not until the service account passwords were changed (again from complex to complex) and the services restarted that the relaying was stopped Telnet to t...

sending email on the outlook exchange in vista
I got a new laptop with vista. I access my work outlook email account by using the exchange in my ie browser. Now with vista (basic) I can access my email and even pull up a window to reply or send a new message but the message pane is not available. I can't write anything in the body of the email. Any ideas? dean@mondomedia.com wrote: > I got a new laptop with vista. I access my work outlook email account > by using the exchange in my ie browser. Now with vista (basic) I can > access my email and even pull up a window to reply or send a new > message but the message pa...

Non-Exchange Calendar Invitation Message was sent to Badmail
I have an Exchange 2003 with SP2. Some reason, non-Exchange calendar invitation messages were sent to Badmail and some users have missed some meeting. Is there some knows why it happens and how to resolve this issue? Thanks for your comments in advance. I would try to figure out what is wrong with the messages. This is likely a problem on the sender's end. -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Cheongseo" <Cheongseo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7D8C6F2-9CB9-4DA6-8F06-...

Exchange 5.5 and W2003 Server migration
Hello. We are migrating from WNT Server 4.0 to W2003 Server on several geographical sites (one NT domain per site before migrating, one unique domain and several Active Directory sites after), and we've got a problem with Exchange Server 5.5. Here it is... I have a W2003 Server DOMA domain (already migrated), in which I have an Exchange 5.5 server on a W2000 Server, member of DOMA. I had a Windows NT Server 4.0 DOMB domain, approving DOMA. On my Exchange 5.5 server, I have mailboxes that were linked to DOMB users' accounts. In our migration, we are deleting DOMB, and recrea...

File size limitations of .pst file?
Is there a limitation within Outlook as to how large a .pst file can be? Has anyone found problems once the file achieves a certain size? I have read that a file size greater than 2 gig will cause problems. My problems begin around 1.5 gig. Yes I have plenty of room on my computer >-----Original Message----- >Is there a limitation within Outlook as to how large >a .pst file can be? Has anyone found problems once the >file achieves a certain size? >. > For pre OL2003, using 2003 format, the limit is 2gb, however problems can occur if greater than 1.6gb You can endup ...

Second Exchange server as OWA
Hi. I have at server 2003 with Exchange 2003 SP2. Besides Exchange I use it as DC and for OWA with SSL. Now I have added a new Exchange server. It is a member server. When I move a mailbox to the new server, Outlook works fine and connects to the new server. The OWA on the new server works fine with the mail boks I have moved. But I want to log in to the SSL OWA on the first server. This does not work. I get at "the page can not be displayed" on the url https://mail.mydomain.dk/exchweb/bin/auth/owaauth.dll when I logon with the mailboks I have moved. All other mails bokses ...

Corrupt exchange database recovery
Hey all not in a state of emergeny but doing research incase one develops. Can any one give me some good links on how to recover a currupt exchange database? Im perparing a disaster recovery plan so any help is appreciated. Thanks, CaptianWeasel "captianweasel" <captianweasel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hey all not in a state of emergeny but doing research incase one develops. >Can any one give me some good links on how to recover a currupt exchange >database? Im perparing a disaster recovery plan so any help is appreciated. Try http://www.micr...

Realtime Exchange Mirroring for Disaster Recovery
I am looking to configure an offsite DR network, and would like to mirror an existing Exchange server at the remote site. We are currently running Exchange 2000, but would upgrade to 2003 if need be. Is there any way to accomplish realtime mirroring of Exchange between two servers over an IP link? Jeremy Jeremy, Realtime mirroring is not possible with any version of Exchange. The closest alternative would be to run Exchange in a clustered environment. This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. LynneW@Online.MICROSOFT.COM (Lynne Williams [MSFT]) wr...

Exchange System Manager for trusted Exchange Org.
Hello all, Is there any way to open Exchange System Manager for different Exchange Org/different domain (similar to "Connect To..." option in "Active Directory Users and Computers")? Thanks in advance, Victor Not supported: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813636 -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Victor Geyyer" <Victor Geyyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91764FE1-F2D2-4010-8869-A3B17FA24A6A@microsoft.com... > Hello all, > > Is t...

multiple exchange servers with email routers in one domain
What is best practise in this situation: 3 locations with 3 exchange servers in one domain. Users in 3 locations. Is it posible to install the router 3 times? Do they need to get their mail forwarded to crmmail@domain.com? Or crmmail-1@domain.com crmmail-2@domain.com and crmmail-3@domain.com? Alex. ...

Exchange contacts vs Public folder address book
I currently maintain our company contacts in an OU in AD. Everytime an add/change/delete needs to be made, one of several office workers sends me an email with the information that needs to be updated. I need to delegate the management of this to these office workers. Should I configure the necessary AD permissions and configure a custom MMC for them to manage this information or is it better for me to convert it to a public folder containing contact items that is then setup as an address book in Outlook? What are the pros and cons of maintaining contact information using these tw...

Terminal Services and Exchange
Last week I was attempting to create a new public folder tree in Exchange 2000 using terminal services on a remote server. It did not go well and I eventually deleted it until I could spend more time. I tried creating the folder under the existing default public folder tree but could not get the client permissions locked down to the user group this folder was for. I know I tried a combination of MAPI and W2K permissions on the default public folder tree. I eventually deleted this folder and tried to return the default public folder tree to it's original settings. Ever since then, when I te...

Email Router and Exchange 2003
Hi, Please I need help, Implementation GUIDE: “E-mail sent between users on the same Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003 system (intranet e-mail) will be processed by the Router only if it is sent from a Microsoft CRM client.” I can send emails to users on the same Echange 2000 or 2003 system , but these users cannot respond to me. I need to implement Microsoft CRM for a HelpDesk department, they need that the users that not have Microsoft CRM can respond this type of emails. What I can do? Thanks, See Chapter 6 of the Implementation Guide for one solution - set up SMTP subdomain for C...

Accessing OAB from domain other than the domain where Exchange 2003 lives
I have a trusted domain from a company that we purchased. It is a Windows NT domain, but we have created users on our 2003 AD/Exchange domain for all of the NT domain users. After establishing the trust between the domains, I granted individual mailbox rights from each users old NT domain login to their new domain/Exchange mailbox so they would not have to enter their newer login each time they opened Outlook (also version 2003). These users are across a WAN connection from the Exchange server, so we set them up in cached Exchange mode. If Outlook is configured to use the NT domain login, n...

Import .PST to Exchange 5.5?
I need to get a few hundred contacts from a Contacts .pst file into the Exchange Global Address List. The only things I have found how to do so far are export and input manually. Any suggestions? Thanks Dave On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 19:46:12 -0000, "Dave Bolt" <dave@NO_SPAM_PLEASE_davebolt.fsnet.co.uk> wrote: >I need to get a few hundred contacts from a Contacts .pst file into the >Exchange Global Address List. >The only things I have found how to do so far are export and input manually. >Any suggestions? >Thanks >Dave > Do a Google for "exmerge"...

Merged calendar and journal / cannot accept meetings in exchange + outlook 2003?
Anyone ever see this? I cannot find anything with google because of the broad subject terms. User cannot accept meetings in Outlook 2003 - clicks accept, nothing happens. I was able to accept them for him via OWA. In the folder view in Outlook 2003, there is no calendar - beneath the folder list hiearchy scroll box, there is a Calendar button amidst the usual buttons. Clicking it does show his calendar. Likewise in OWA - no Calendar under the folder view. Instead, there is a combined Journal/Calendar button. I am wondering if this is at the root of his inability to accept meetings. How did ...