Incorrect Mailbox Size/Item Count for User

Hello,

We began receiving warnings that our mailbox store was reaching its maximum
size so I asked our users to start cleaning up their mailboxes to reduce the
size.  For the most part this has worked.  Unfortunately, this did not work
for one user.  He has since deleted many of his e-mails, but the Exchange
System Manager is still reporting that he has 18,000+ items.  I looked at his
e-mail folders and there is no way that this could be the case.  If I had to
estimate I would say 3000-4000 tops.  I even checked and he deleted all the
recoverable "deleted items" the server was storing for his account.  I tried
stopping and restarting the store.  I tried rebooting the server.  Nothing
seems to fix this.  Any ideas?  I read that defraging the Exchange database
might fix it, but I am no Exchange whiz and I also heard that if the defrag
goes badly it can screw up your database.

Thank you in advance.

FYI... this is Exchange 2003 Standard SP2 running on a Win2k3 SP2 box.

"Adrian" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We began receiving warnings that our mailbox store was reaching its maximum
> size so I asked our users to start cleaning up their mailboxes to reduce the
> size.  For the most part this has worked.  Unfortunately, this did not work
> for one user.  He has since deleted many of his e-mails, but the Exchange
> System Manager is still reporting that he has 18,000+ items.  I looked at his
> e-mail folders and there is no way that this could be the case.  If I had to
> estimate I would say 3000-4000 tops.  I even checked and he deleted all the
> recoverable "deleted items" the server was storing for his account.  I tried
> stopping and restarting the store.  I tried rebooting the server.  Nothing
> seems to fix this.  Any ideas?  I read that defraging the Exchange database
> might fix it, but I am no Exchange whiz and I also heard that if the defrag
> goes badly it can screw up your database.
>
> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance.
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:10:01 -0800, Adrian
<Adrian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We began receiving warnings that our mailbox store was reaching its maximum
>size so I asked our users to start cleaning up their mailboxes to reduce the
>size.  For the most part this has worked.  Unfortunately, this did not work
>for one user.  He has since deleted many of his e-mails, but the Exchange
>System Manager is still reporting that he has 18,000+ items.  I looked at his
>e-mail folders and there is no way that this could be the case.  If I had to
>estimate I would say 3000-4000 tops.  I even checked and he deleted all the
>recoverable "deleted items" the server was storing for his account.  I tried
>stopping and restarting the store.  I tried rebooting the server.  Nothing
>seems to fix this.  Any ideas?  I read that defraging the Exchange database
>might fix it, but I am no Exchange whiz and I also heard that if the defrag
>goes badly it can screw up your database.
>
>Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Is the Outlook client working in "Exchange cached-mode"? Are there
sync errors being recorded in the "Sync Issues" folders?

If you take the Outlook client out of cached mode do you see the same
number of items and folder sizes?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich

New User Setup
Hi, I am looking at getting outlook 2003 with exchange 2003 (running on 2003 R2 server) and we would like to have outlook automatically populate the exchange settings for each user when they logon. What options do i have with this? Is profgen the only option? Thanks The last version ProfGen worked with was Outlook 2000. Microsoft uses text files with a .prf extension and a highly structured = format to provide information to OUtlook that enables Outlook to create = or modify a mail profile. You can create such .prf files with the Custom = Installation Wizard or Custom Maintenance Wizard...

counting
I HAVE A SPREADSHEET THAT HAS SEVERAL ENTRIES THAT ARE THE SAME EX COLUMN 1 IS TELEPHONE NUMBERS COLUMN 5 TELLS ME IF ITS A B( BUSINESS) H(HOME) C(CELL) I WANT TO INSET A MACRO AT THE END OF EACH COLUMN THAT WOULD ADD HOW MANY TELEPHONE NUMBERS ARE IN THE COLUMN THAT ARE UNLIKE ( AS IN COUNTING EACH DIFFERENT ENTRY AS 1) AND ON THE COLUMN 5 HOW MANY UNLIKE B,H,C GO WITH COLUMN 1 WITHOUT HAVING TO COPY THE TWO COLUMNS TO ANOTHER SPREADSHEET - FILTER ADVANCE UNIQUE RECORDS ONLY - I NEED A MACRO THAT I CAN ADD AT THE END OF THE COLUMNS THAT WOULD DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY Can you repost ...

Associating an AD object with an existing mailbox
Hello, I am running AD on windows 2003, I have exchange 2003 sp2 and exchange 5.5 on a nt 4.0 box. The user's mailbox resides on the nt 4.0 mailbox. For some reason this user's mailbox is not associated with their AD user object while a majority of the other users are. I have tried the AD cleanup agent, and that didn't find anything. I have checked the AD connect tool and everything is good there. Along with this same user, I add the user to the permissions of a newly made public folder in exchange, and the user disappears off of the list without any error message. How...

Rename mailbox?
Is there any easier way of renaming a user account/mailbox when someone gets married/divorced? Rather than creating a new one and moving everything over into it? Win2003 Server/Exch2003 Server Yep. All this information is just stored in Active Directory. If you change the names on the user's account properties tabs, then that change is replicated out and becomes the user's new "identity". Some common tabs to change are the 'Account' tab and 'Email Addresses' tab. Just keep in mind that you may want to keep the user's old email address and j...

Move Mailbox Error #2
When trying to move a maibox from one store on the Exchange Server to a second store on the same server I get this error: The Information Store could not be opened. The logon to the Microsoft Exchagne Server Computer Failed. The account I'm using is the same account used to install the sever and has Full Exchange Administrator rights in the System Manager along with being a local admin on the server. We did have an issue with a 3rd party connector (RightFax) that was resolved by changing some other permissons but I cannot find any deny permissons for the account I'm using. ...

Page size for 1 to 1 ratio printing
I need to print a .jpg at @ 1 to 1 ratio after editing in Powerpoint. My question is at which dimension of the .jpg do I set the page size to? The ..jpg inserted into Powerpoint is cropped outside the border of the subject matter. Do I set the page size to the .jpg dimensions or to the actual border dimensions of the subject matter that needs to be printed out 1 to 1? Thanks to the forum for the help. In article <C1BFE7FD-A844-4D6A-BBDC-F2CA4066FEF8@microsoft.com>, Houstonvett wrote: > I need to print a .jpg at @ 1 to 1 ratio after editing in Powerpoint. My > ques...

Is there a setup to create a PO for Item kit and have them received as Kit also?
we understand that creating of PO for kit item is not allowed but is there a setup or way to make it possible? thanks in advance for the help. There is no way to purchase an item flagged in Inventory as a kit item because kits are used for selling multiple components as a single item. Are you wanting to somehow create a PO for all the component items in a kit? You're heading towards a manufacturing order solution. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Stephen Lee Gloria" wrote: > we understand that creating of PO for kit item is not allowed but is > there a setup or way to mak...

File size for an excel sheet on the web
I have spreadsheet over 11mb that needs to be put out online however I want to reduce the file size for faster browser opening. Can the file be reduced at all and still retain the drop downs I have included? Hi cosmicnorm Check out this site http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Don't save the file in two versions but only as Microsoft excel workbook Not as 97-2002 & 5.0/95 workbook(this make your workbook big) -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "cosmicnorm" <cosmicnorm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:762BAA17-A98A-4C01...

Prompt user for destination file
Is there a way the system will prompt the user for a destination file at the time they run the report? Thank you, Amy Hi Go to posting setup and mark the options for printer setup. i.e. Check question mark"?" checkbok to prompt always. Also try changing the user preference of the printer. Thanks Pradeep "Amy" wrote: > Is there a way the system will prompt the user for a destination file at the > time they run the report? > > Thank you, > Amy ...

Multiple user accounts not working properly
I am running Windows XP and have three user account logins. I was also running Outlook Express and set up three email accounts (each on their own login).. the first two email setups worked great. But the third one wasnt recognizing my password as valid. I Contacted the ISP. Walked through setup. Still didnt work. ISP instructed me to access mail via the internet. That worked. ISP said that proves the account is valid. Now, I just upgraded to Outlook 2003. Same problem with the third email user account. Funny thing is that this "3rd" email account is one of the tw...

Problem importing Microsoft User Data
On my PowerBook (running OS X ver. 10.3.7) I have Microsoft Office X. Originally, I started with Office:Mac 2001 in OS 9 and upgrated to Microsoft Office X when it came out. I have a new iMac where I have installed Microsoft Office X (not Office:Mac 2001 - I haven't installed OS 9 in this computer) and am trying to import my Entourage data (address book, calendar, etc.) and have been unable to do so. Through my network, I have copied the Microsoft User Data folder from the PowerBook into the Users Documents folder on the new iMac. I've restarted after following this procedure. Unfortu...

sync shared calendar with users calendars
i need some advice ive been asked to come up with a way to create a shared calendar on exchange2003 for my department. and sync it with there on mailboxs folder and then be able to sync it with our pda's someone on here sometime ago mention MasterCal...but it did not work nor was the instructions any good is there any advice on this "James" <jgrace@digitelusa.net> wrote: >i need some advice > ive been asked to come up with a way to create a shared calendar on >exchange2003 for my department. and sync it with there on mailboxs folder >and then be able to...

Count cells in a column that contain dates
Column J contains dates in some cells, and text in others. I need to count the number of cells in this one column that contains dates. How can I do this? If the only cells that are in that column that are numeric (like dates), you can use: =count(a:a) (Dates are just numbers formatted nicely in excel.) Cachod1 wrote: > > Column J contains dates in some cells, and text in others. I need to count > the number of cells in this one column that contains dates. How can I do > this? -- Dave Peterson ...

Auto Reply Mailbox
I am trying to figure out what is the best way to create a Mailbox account to automatically auto reply to every email message it receives then moving all messages to a public folder. This mailbox is needed for our HR dept to submit resumes, automatically respond and dump the messages into a folder. How can I do this? I am running Exchange 5.5 Server SP4 on a Win2k Server You could create a mail enabled public folder and then set it up as a moderated folder. This way the external mail goes directly to the public folder and they receive an automated message. See the following for more info: ...

Cannot view a mailbox folder and reset password of user's problem
OS: windows 2000 server service pack 4 software: Exchange 2000 version 6.0 (build 6249.4:service pack 3) 1,when I use administrator account to login to my Windows 2000 server and want to double click into a mailbox folder. It prompts "M:\xxxxx.com\mbx\xxx is not accessible. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." 2,when i reset the password of a particular user in active directory->users, and i immediately change the outlook express 's incoming mail password, it seems to be work fine with new password. However, when i change the outlook ex...

brick level restore problem on exhcange 5.5 mailbox
hi we performed a brick level restore on a users mailbox after they accidentally deleted all thier mail, this may not have been the best idea. although it looked to have worked ok, we now have a problem on the users inbox. whenever they mark a message either read or unread there is a very long delay, once they are set as read then they open up fine and everything else is ok. this happens on any pc and only on the inbox (so far), any public folders are fine and large files or attachments are fine, only when changing the read status does this occur. we are running exhcange 5.5 on ...

managing multiple mailboxes from outlook
I have a user who is managing multiple mailboxes from within outlook 2000 via the folder list. She has been creating contacts in the second mailbox's contacts folder without problem and created a distribution list as well, however, when she goes to add the contacts of that mailbox to that DL she can only see her contacts and the GAL but not the second mailbox's contacts from the dropdown list. Any ideas? ...

Create standard folders in all users mailboxes.
I am playing with some email archiving software and instead of applying archiving rules to a user's inbox, I want to create a standard folder that users can move their mail to so it can be archived. Im sure there is a way to create this folder for all users as well as ensure it stays there in the future (and for new users, etc) ... Any suggestions ? On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 05:29:01 -0800, "Mal.Harwood" <Mal.Harwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am playing with some email archiving software and instead of applying >archiving rules to a user's inbox, I w...

Workflows not starting automatically with one user
I am having an issue where workflow rules that were created and worked fine in 1.2 are not start automatically in 3.0 for one user (me). I can manually start the rule and it's fine and others can do the same action that should start the rule and it works for them..just not me. My research tells me is probably related to me being an administrator and/or being an administrator when I created the rules. I've also been told to look at the user that the CRM workflow service runs as and make sure that service account has the correct privaleges-which it does. I am just not sure w...

Enable software to work in Domain user account.
Hi to all Enable software to work in Domain user account. Software which i have installed in Win xp is i install software from domain administrator. 1. Office 2003 it's working 2. adobe PDF it's working Other software's are not working, issue in local user and domain user account only, No problem in administrator account (local and domain) if i give them administrator account i can't stop them from miss use the system. Note: Server OS: Win Server 2003 Client OS: Win xp, Win 7 Pro, Vista Business Regards, Vin Win On 03/07/10 03:37, Vinod ...

new user #2
Can I import yahoo mail to MS Outlook? I have the same problem. I upgraded my Yahoo account, so I can connect to it with Outlook2003. Then the connection was successful, but nothing happened. Could someone please help us! Thank you very much!!! -Ray. ...

synchronization multiple mailboxes
Hello, Is there a way to sync 2 mailboxes in Outlook 2002 or 2003? Hello Damon, Have a look at www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm or at my signature for a powerful tool. -- Thomas Wetzel www.synchpst.com Synchronize and backup Outlook ...

How can a user created template be added to the toolbar
Running Office 2007 Pro. I inadvertently posted this question in the forms forum. I created a template that I would like to access from the toolbar instead through the menu even though I have eliminated a couple steps by putting Choose Form on the toolbar it still takes more clicks than I want. I saw instructions about adding a form but I couldn't get past "modifying selection" after selecting the macro. So how do I add my OFT file to the toolbar? Thanks for you time and assistance! ...

Users recieve error message when accepting meeting requests.
Exchange 2003 / Windows server 2003 AD. When users accept or send a meeting request the sometimes recive an e-mail message containing the following text Your message with the subject "Godtatt: Styremøte PF - OU prosess" could not be processed due to delays in processing of previous messages. Please report this error to your system administrator There are no errors or warnings in the application log for the time the message was sent. Do anybody know what is the cause of this, maybe even how the error can be removed ...

Unable to add email account to new users or old users
I have tried to add new users with new email accounts. The user account is created but does not add a email account. The exchange tabs show up but there is no information in them I have also used the exchange wizard to add a email account to current domain user. The wizard says works BUT when check the properties on the user is show no email account under the exchange tab. -- Donovan Please use my new email account at donovan@nglm.com Pls check this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317654 -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Donovan Ellis" <donovan@nglm.com>...