In Queue - emails from a nonexistant local address

I am concerned that either we are being used as a relay(which I thought I
disabled), or that someone internally has a virus (although all scans come
up clean.)

Running Small Business Server 2003, when I open the Exchange System Manager,
the queues I see messages waiting for certain domains, from an address
postmaster@mydomain.org which does not exist.  The messages are in the queue
because they are "unable to bind the destination server in DNS", and they
aren't domains to which anyone in my organization would be sending.

I had thought I checked to ensure relaying was not allowed - found that it
was defaulted not permitted in 2003, but perhaps somethings not right? Or a
virus that my scanners aren't checking???

Please give advice.  I would hate to contribute to the virus problem!!

0
dawg (23)

Postmaster@mydomain.org (assuming mydomain.org is in place of your actual
domain name) is the address that your non-delivery reports come from. These
NDR's are in response to spam sent to non-existent users at your domain
name (i.e. nonexistentuser@mydomain.org). More than likely you've just got
a case of spam messages with invalid reply-to addresses in them, so the
NDR's can't be delivered and sit in the queues to those domain names until
they time out (48 hours by default) or you go in and delete the messages
from the queues.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: "Child" <dawg@alaskaSPAMFREE.com>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>Subject: In Queue - emails from a nonexistant local address
>Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:30:35 -0800
>
>I am concerned that either we are being used as a relay(which I thought I
>disabled), or that someone internally has a virus (although all scans come
>up clean.)
>
>Running Small Business Server 2003, when I open the Exchange System
Manager,
>the queues I see messages waiting for certain domains, from an address
>postmaster@mydomain.org which does not exist.  The messages are in the
queue
>because they are "unable to bind the destination server in DNS", and they
>aren't domains to which anyone in my organization would be sending.
>
>I had thought I checked to ensure relaying was not allowed - found that it
>was defaulted not permitted in 2003, but perhaps somethings not right? Or a
>virus that my scanners aren't checking???
>
>Please give advice.  I would hate to contribute to the virus problem!!

0
rroddy (682)
7/12/2004 2:57:54 PM
"Richard Roddy [MSFT]" <rroddy@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Postmaster@mydomain.org (assuming mydomain.org is in place of your actual
> domain name) is the address that your non-delivery reports come from.
These
> NDR's are in response to spam sent to non-existent users at your domain
> name (i.e. nonexistentuser@mydomain.org). More than likely you've just got
> a case of spam messages with invalid reply-to addresses in them, so the
> NDR's can't be delivered and sit in the queues to those domain names until
> they time out (48 hours by default) or you go in and delete the messages
> from the queues.

AH! yes, that makes complete sense!! Thank you Richard!

0
dawg (23)

SBS 2003 and Email Not Receiving

Emails #8
i am recieving my emails ten minutes after everyone else in the company and it is started to effect urgent matters, i havegone into outlok tools to see if i could change anything but that doesnt seem to have worked, can someone please help What version of Outlook are you using? If Outlook 2003 do you have the Junk Mail filter turned on? Is this an Exchange Environment? If so, what version. "Kim" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:fb2901c43e6f$d095b2a0$a501280a@phx.gbl... >i am recieving my emails ten minutes after everyone else > in the co...

Retrieve Lost Email

can't send or receive emails

multiple email identities

Outlook 2007 addresses
How can I find the list of addresses I have sent emails to? When you start a new email you can put a letter in the To line and list will come up. Where is that list? How can I print it out? Thanks Matt that is the autocomplete cache. You would need a utility to print it out. http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20040621.htm http://www.slipstick.com/problems/nicknamecache.asp -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Out...

Re: teach me how to send friends email

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

no access to send internet email

delays in recieving outside emails

Email Statements from Collection Module

email attachments
Why is Word 2007 opening all my email attachments? It probably isn't. Outlook 2007 has a new text editor that looks just like Word 2007, but it is in reality a separate text editor in its own .dll package. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "josie" <josie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5961A60C-462F-4CBA-A276-4A8D0F7FB1F5@microsoft.com... > Why is Word 2007 opening all my email attachments? It depends on which file of file or file extension the attachment is. Each type of file extension (*.txt, *.doc etc.) has a default program. It ...

Remade Folders, Now Old Email Gone
I created a couple new profiles so I could separate my work and personal emails when I work from home. At the end of the process, when prompted by Outlook to remake my folders, I foolishly remade my folders. Now, all my old emails which were in my Inbox have gone missing. I searched for pab and pst files but they are not to be found. Any ideas will be most appreciated. Geoff You didn't even post your Outlook version or operating system. How are we supposed to help? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Geoff Robinson" <geoffr2@aol.com> wrote in message news:978b35e2.0406091...

Migrating Exchange servers
We are in the process of migrating to a new exchange server. The issue we are having is transfering the user's outlook (xp, 2k) address book/contact list to the new server without manually having to log into everyone's computer and pointing their address books to the new server. Is there a way to do this authomatically server-side? You're moving the mailboxes, right? The user's "address book" is the Contacts folder in the mailbox. So, there's nothing extra to move. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for ...

EMAIL FILTERS
For just over a week now ALL emails sent to me from external sources are going directly to my deleted files yet anything sent through my company network goes to my inbox as designed. I have looked into my rules and find nothing there to direct these emails to be deleted. Any suggestions where else to look? Disable all your rules. Enable them one at a time to find the culprit. It has to be a rule. CASEY wrote: > For just over a week now ALL emails sent to me from > external sources are going directly to my deleted files > yet anything sent through my company network goes to my...

Opening Excel email attachments
When downloading excel files AOL says cannot find suitable program.I then go online to find Excel but only get Uopdates. PC is XP version with Works Suite 2002. A fe months back my dear wife was downloading Excel an got board with waiting and shut down the PC! Any suggestions. Thanks Karl Hi there's no legal way to download Excel!! You have to buy< an Excel version and install it on your PC (or try to open the file with MS Works - but live with the restricted functionality) >-----Original Message----- >When downloading excel files AOL says cannot find >suitable progra...

creating template for multiple emails
How or can one create an email template (same subject line and message)for multiple emails (approx 100's)? Needing to shorten the time it takes sending 100's of individual emails (with the same subject line and same message) to sales staff on a weekly (some times daily) basis. Company does not want sales force using other sales persons email addresses (they are contractors). Try using a Distriburtion List, send one message, it goes to all of them, or get the message ready, put your address in the TO: field, and put everyone else in the BCC: field?? That way no one can see wher...

Shared email account
I am new XP user. I have set up separate XP accounts for me and for my wife. I would like to have both of us to be able to use the same Outlook email address. How do I set up Outlook so that the 2 XP accounts look at the same Inbox, Sent Items, Address Book, etc.? Thanks, Dan P Locate the pst-file for the account that now has all the e-mails in it. Move the pst-file to a location both can reach (for instance C:\Outlook) Start Outlook fot that user and it will prompt you for the new location. Once configured close Outlook for that user and logon as the other user Open Outlook and choo...

Saving document downloaded from email
I downloaded a word 2007 document from a windows mail email yesterday by double clicking on it and opening in word 2007. I then worked on the document and clicked "save". Today I cannot find the document on the computer, it seems that it has not saved. Can anyone explain what has gone wrong? Thanks Catherine If you use Word and Outlook 2007 this should no longer happen as the combination does not allow you to save to a temporary location With other e-mail applications, it is anyone's guess what might occur. You should never open Word attachments directly from e-m...

Previous/Next in Outlook 2003 email message crash
I have Outlook 2003, when I opened an email then after reading it, I clicked Previous or Next Item within my message, it crashed Outlook. Does anyone have or seen this problem before, any fixes or solution? Thanks in advance. Tlam ...