Importing Contact DL's into DL's on the GAL

Hi Everyone

I'm trying to find out how to import distribution lists located in Contacts
in an exchange mailbox into exchange so that they are available for everyone
on the GAL
There are about 1000 DL's so it is not possible to do this one-by-one. The
DL's contain Display name and smtp  address as members.

Please - suggestions :D

Thanks
Regards
Brendon
0
BrendonB (22)

In news:0725098A-95ED-4E7B-8103-62ED2784C3C3@microsoft.com,
Brendon B <BrendonB@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I'm trying to find out how to import distribution lists located in
> Contacts in an exchange mailbox into exchange so that they are
> available for everyone on the GAL
> There are about 1000 DL's so it is not possible to do this
> one-by-one. The DL's contain Display name and smtp  address as
> members.
>
> Please - suggestions :D
>
> Thanks
> Regards
> Brendon

You could just create a public contacts folder, set up permissions as you
choose, copy the items you wish into it, and people could use this as an
additional address book in Outlook.

0
lanwench (7567)
12/7/2005 4:51:35 PM
Or you can export the contacts folder into a text file. You can then
create a quick script that'll parse the file and create the contacts
(actually, you could get the script to parse the contact folder itself
if you wanted to). Or you can massage the data in the text file to
create a formated ldf file for import using the ldifde command.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/e2k3InterOpMig/cba36151-f775-48b5-860c-83e93f893df0.mspx

The following *really* crude sample script would take a text file
called exported.txt and create an ldf file called filetoimport.ldf.

Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set fi = FSO.OpenTextFile("exported.txt")
Set fo = FSO.createtextfile("filetoimport.ldf", true)

On Error Resume Next

Do While NOT fi.AtEndOfStream

	cline = fi.ReadLine
	parts = split( cline, "	" )
	dispName = replace(parts(59), """", "")
	mailAdd = parts(57)

	If mailAdd <> "" Then
		fo.writeline "dn: cn=" & dispName & ",OU=Users,DC=YOURDOMAIN,DC=com"
		fo.writeline "changetype: add"
		fo.writeline "objectClass: contact"
		fo.writeline "cn: " & dispName
		fo.writeline "displayName: " & dispName
		fo.writeline "targetAddress: SMTP: " & mailAdd
		fo.writeline "mail: " & mailAdd
		fo.writeline ""
	End If
Loop
fo.Close

'''END sample script

Of course your datafile might split into other fields other than the
57th and 59th columns, and you would certainly want to add some error
checking to the data.

You could then import the ldf file using a command of the sort:

ldifde -i -f filetoimport.ldf -s YourServerName

0
tneceda (35)
12/7/2005 10:23:22 PM
Thanks for the advice guys

The problem is this. I try to export the contact using the process described
here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010964221033.aspx

All I get is a file with the headers or field names.
I suspect that this has something to do with the fact that there are
actually no contacts in the contact pst - the actual contact are in the
distribution lists inside of the contact pst if that makes sense.
Any ideas on how to do this?

0
BrendonB (22)

import Data from Excel
Hi, Does somebody have experience in importing data from excel sheets into MS CRM? Which is the best way and tools to import data from excel sheets? Like for example to have data in excel sheets which should be suited to a contact in his history and this you want to do every week. There is the Data Migration Framework and the SDK. Is maybe somebody doing something similar and can somebody suggest something or have you programmed something on your own for this? Thank a lot Hi, we did our data migration with Excel + Data Migration Framework. It was a bit of VBA-Programming but if you ha...

How to use the Import Utility
I have inventory list in a CSV I need to import I downloaded the import utility and am attempting to use it on the Inventory, So this is what I am doing. First I launch the import utility I Name the Session I browse to the location and choose the file I am importing I then Connect to the Live Database I Choose Inventory and the delimenator of comma I check both boxes and then next I then select the following fields Field 1 is reorder number field 2 is Item lookup code Field 3 Description Field 4 is Category Field 5 is Department Field 6 is Sub Description Field 7 is cost Field 8 is price F...

Lost All Contacts
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop While automatically updating Entourage to 11.4.0 and have subsequently lost all my contacts to many to reenter. I tried importing from an older database with no luck. They are all greyed out. On 3/15/10 11:23 AM, Deebest@officeformac.com wrote: > While automatically updating Entourage to 11.4.0 and have subsequently > lost all my contacts to many to reenter. I tried importing from an older > database with no luck. They are all greyed out. In Entourage use Switch Identity under En...

Lead Import Issue
When you go to import a batch of leads, it seems in 3.0 that you cannot ignore certain source fields to import. Also the mapping screen is extremely odd to work with. Anyone have some other experience with this? Sean I have used the import wizard heavily so please let me know your issues as I can probably answer them. What issues are you seeing? ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "Sean Fullerton" <stfullerton-no.spam@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message news:OEqDKcsKGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... &...

How do I change the action of button in Access 2007 contact list?
I need to change the email address manually when I click the "send email" button to create new email directly from Contact List of Access 2007 as the default email address is including the receiver name (name + emal address was recognized as wrong email address by Windows Live Mail). How to change the default setting of Access 2007? -- THANKS & BEST REGARDS, Nguyen Tung Director of Sales and Marketing --------------------------------------- THIENTHAONGUYEN TRANSPORTATION CO., No181 Dai Tu Str,Hoang Mai Dist,Hanoi,Vietnam Tel :(84.4) 36410 577 - 107 /...

Contacts and Accounts 11-21-03
Hi When I create an order and link it to a contact I would expect it to be linked to the account as well. This seems to not be the case. I created an order (using the Adventure-works sample database) for Ingrid Burkhardt. When I looked under the Sales Order tab for Bike Universe the order was not there. However, when I went to the contacts tab, and opened INgrid, and then went to the Order tab it was there. How is this supposed to work? Thanks Gill I believe this is as designed Gill. The cases work the same way, a case is either linked to the account or a contact - but there is...

Randomised missing e-mail adress for outlook contacts from CRM
Hi, I have a problem when I send e-mails through outlook (2003) with contacts from CRM (3.0). The problem appears to be randomized and I can not see any systematic casue behind it. When I start a new e-mail in outlook I write the name of the person, who is then recognised by outlook and everything appears to be in order. When I click on the person, the properties are empty and there is no adress available. If send they e-mail away, there is no warning that the e-mail does not have a proper adress. If I check the e-mail in the sent box, there is no name or adress left in the header. T...

importing from excel
I have figured out how to customize a contact form (FORM) as well as how to save it and select it as the default for a folder (FOLDER). When you choose to create a new contact in FOLDER, it uses the FORM as the layout. If a contact is already in FOLDER, I can edit the layout as needed. I can import data and map the layout, but it uses the contact default instead of FORM, despite FORM being selected in the "When posting to this folder, use:" and "Forms associated with this folder:" sections. Is there any way to import contacts from an excel file to FORM instead...

Contacts & accounts searches criteria apply only to active status
When a search criterion is entered in 'look for' field of contacts and accounts search windows, regardless of filters set up in the view the list displayed contains only active accounts. Extarct from recent support advice 'the results show that the filter is hard coded to be active Contacts. Even changing the value of “IsQuickFindQuery” attribute did not affect the behavior.' This fault may be present in all search windows, leads, opportunites etc. An urgent hot fix is required to allow user defined filters in the views (as well as default views) to be 'honoured...

How to import custom toolbars from Office X to 2004?
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3169274775_5237938 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit How can I import custom toolbars from Excel 10 to Excel 11 � same in PowerPoint. Renaming preference files � toolbars (10) �> �toolbars (11) won�t work. Thanks from Munich Wolfram Fuchs --B_3169274775_5237938 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> &l...

Convert a lead to a contact without loosing the company name
When converting a lead to a contact you should be able to retain the company name. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=dd31d3fd-af2c-408d-8156-61a3ef46d0e5&...

Importing from Mail
Is there a way to import contact card info ( name, home address, e-mail address, phone number ) into Excel from Apple's Mail ? Don't know about Apple but most mail programs have some sort of Import/Export facility. Check out your options to see if you can export the Contacts info as a *.txt or *.csv file format. Excel will open either of those. *.txt files will pop up the Text Import Wizard in Excel, allowing you to parse your data if need be. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On 22 Dec 2005 11:29:36 -0800, "lorrdon" <lorrdon@cox.net> wrote: >Is there a way to import co...

Bulk Import failures view for non-admin users
Hi, I got a requirement to show 'Failures' while clicking on Imports. CRM shows this only for System Administrators. Can we make it enable for other custom roles? if so how? Thanks in Advance Rakesh Narayan ...

How to import Outlook Express messages into MS Outlook 2007
Hi, My computer runs Windows 7, and I would like to import messages from Outlook Express(My old computer that ran WinXP). I have the .dbx files archived to an external drive, and copied and pasted them to a folder on the windows desktop. When I run the import function in Outlook 2007, I can't get it to point to the folder where the messages are stored. I have a feeling this is not going to work with Windows 7, but if it can, please let me know what I'm doing wrong. If not, is there a way around this to get the messages into Outlook? Thanks in advance. "...

I cannot import a word document in to Publisher
"mcattlin" <mcattlin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB9A5204-71E7-4B21-8686-F09F7BA1404A@microsoft.com... > Well gee you may need an import license or something. Or if you want some help a few details IN THE BODY OF THE MESSAGE would be nice. Clues!!! Error Message Pub Version? Word Version? OS Version? Error Message? Method:- Copy paste? Error Message? -- John G Wot's Your Real Problem? I can. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranti...

Import file to Word document
I have a Microsoft Word merge file, all of my information for that file is sitting in an Excel file. Is there anywhere possible I can get these two files to merge? Thanks Have you tried mail merge? http://www.officearticles.com/word/mail_merge_letters_in_microsoft_word.htm or http://www.officearticles.com/word/mail_merge_labels_in_microsoft_word.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Y Y" <snuze@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:11li62cle2ti5ce@corp.supernews.com... >I have a Microsoft Word merge file, all of my information for that file is >sitting...

Contacts file
Is there a way to transfer ALL contacts from one Outlook account to another Outlook account? Answered on a daily basis. Find a post that matches your Outlook version and information store which of course anyone would need to answer your question accurately. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "tonyalt3" <tonyalt3@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7b25dafc-e1d5-4592-8604-18c36037a11e@w1g2000prk.googlegroups.com... > Is there a way to transfer ALL contacts from one Outlook account to > another Outlook account? ...

Viewing Global Contact List
I'm using Exchange 2003 in a large domain with a global contact listing. Client machines are using Outlook 2000/2003. Is there a way to list the global contacts in the standard local contact list? Thanks. No, the user will need to select the list from the dropdown. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Bill Maxwell asked: | I'm using Exchange 2003 in a large domain with ...

Not able to import multiple Fidelity accounts
I have two Fidelity accounts, a brokerage and an Educational Account. When I try to set up these accounts in Money 2006, none of the Education Account information is imported. Money 2006 sets up the two accounts, but there is no balance or transaction history for the Educational Account. It seems as though Money sees there is an account but is not able to access anything. It looks like I'll have to enter and update all Educational transactions manually. Any suggestions on how to resolve this? Thanks, John Money 2006 Deluxe, IE 6, XP SP2. I have 3 accounts at Fidelity - it works...

Backup Contacts in Outlook 2002
how do you backup the contacts folder in the address book on Outlook client 2002. .pst and .pab isn't helpful. Can anyone can help me out Why is PST not helpful? That's what you need to back up. Just do it. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Brandon.ralph" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012b01c3d242$df7eced0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > how do you backup the contacts folder in the address book > on Outlook client 2002. .pst and .pab isn't helpful. > Can anyone can help me out ...

How to make 1 change to many contacts?
I was making a "common change" to multiple contacts using the directions provided by Microsoft's site. I sorted the contacts by category, selected the grouping bar for the category I wanted to change, and dragged the contacts to the category I wanted it to become. Outlook is supposed to automatically apply the change to all of the items in the old category. It gave the contacts 2 categories. I will still have to open 300 contacts individually to get rid of the old category. Is there another way to make a the same change to multiple contacts? Veronica wrote: > I wa...

automatically import data from a cell in one workbook to another workbook

Outlook Contacts #15
I am wondering if there is an add in for Outlook that would allow me to create a form with specific fields in it. I need this form to allow me to link contacts which we use frequently for project. I work in an architecture firm, and we need a project directory created for each project. Specific contact information to that project will be entered like a standard contact is typically created, but we would also like to be able to link or reference contacts already used and entered into our public contacts pool. Is it possible to edit the tabs inside a new contact window or is there ...

Handling contacts in accounts
Can anyone suggest the best way to deal with a contact who leaves a company and reappears in another company. Should the contact just be reassigned, or should they be left (deactivated?) in the existing company, and a new contact created. I am interested in tracking history both with the old account, and with the contact themselves. Technojeff, you can use the relationships to do this. Reassign your contact to the new company, add a relationship between the contact and old company. HTH, Frederic - Travi@ta www.microsoft-dynamics-crm.eu technojeff schreef: > Can anyone suggest the...

Assign New Contact to a Category in Outlook 2002
I would like to know if it is possible to assign a new contact to a category immediately when creating the new contact record. The only way I have found to do this is to create the new contact record, save it, go to my list of contacts and right-click it to assign a category. I'm sure there must be a way to do this from the initial new contact data entry screen instead of having to pull the contact back up from the listing once saved. Do you not see the Category field in the main page of the Contact Record? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Denise" <oui@quixnet.net> wr...