Ideal Exchange 2003 Standard Configuration

Can someone point me towards a resource that will help me deploy Exchange
2003 Standard in the most robust way possible?

currently I have a PowerEdge 2850 with 2GB RAM and 5 x 73GB 10K SCSI drives.

thank you in advance.

0
storabi (7)

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:48:29 -0500, "Shervan Torabi" <storabi@cox.net>
wrote:

>Can someone point me towards a resource that will help me deploy Exchange
>2003 Standard in the most robust way possible?
>
>currently I have a PowerEdge 2850 with 2GB RAM and 5 x 73GB 10K SCSI drives.
>
>thank you in advance.

It all very much depends on the available resources (hardware) that
you have.
You have too few disks for the most robust possible.
You would need six disks:
RAID1 pair for the OS and Exchange
RAID1 pair for the Exchange Transaction Logs
RAID1 pair for the Exchange Stores

The disks are too small so your option is to have a single RAID 1 pair
and host the first two (above) on it. Then make a RAID5 set of the
other three disks to give you 140GB of storage. Now, that gives you
the 75GB for mailbox storage and somewhat less for public folders.
However, that means you have no space to do an eseutil (should you
ever need to) on the same box so you're already disk-bound.

As for the rest of the box you need the same resilience as for
anything else depending on what's afforable, hot swap this, hot swap
that etc. etc.
0
mark7219 (5666)
1/4/2007 6:57:37 PM
that's great info...it turns out I do have 6 hard drives in the 2850 but
they are sadly only 73GB each

I may have to do the RAID1 + RAID5 setup that you mentioned or just invest
in a whole new server.

Anybody else have thoughts?

> On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:48:29 -0500, "Shervan Torabi" <storabi@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Can someone point me towards a resource that will help me deploy Exchange
>>2003 Standard in the most robust way possible?
>>
>>currently I have a PowerEdge 2850 with 2GB RAM and 5 x 73GB 10K SCSI
>>drives.
>>
>>thank you in advance.
>>
> It all very much depends on the available resources (hardware) that
> you have.
> You have too few disks for the most robust possible.
> You would need six disks:
> RAID1 pair for the OS and Exchange
> RAID1 pair for the Exchange Transaction Logs
> RAID1 pair for the Exchange Stores
>
> The disks are too small so your option is to have a single RAID 1 pair
> and host the first two (above) on it. Then make a RAID5 set of the
> other three disks to give you 140GB of storage. Now, that gives you
> the 75GB for mailbox storage and somewhat less for public folders.
> However, that means you have no space to do an eseutil (should you
> ever need to) on the same box so you're already disk-bound.
>
> As for the rest of the box you need the same resilience as for
> anything else depending on what's afforable, hot swap this, hot swap
> that etc. etc.

0
storabi (7)

SBS 2003 and Email Not Receiving

Running Money 2003 in Vista

Monitor Server in 2003?

Outlook 2003
Just bought new PC. Everything is Microsoft. XP Home - Microsoft Works (came installed) - User like to use MSN for e-mail, Sent Microsoft $300.00 to activate Office that came installed on machine. Word will not allow MSN to be the e-mail client. System crashed and burned after activation of Office. Outlook 2003 seems a little unstable. Why would a new PC with Works, Office Express and Outlook 2003 be shipped? All these programs do the same thing and they don't seem to talk with each other well. On top of this all she wants to do is use Word and send the document through MSN nor...

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Moving Exchange #5

Backing Up Exchange Database

Exchange 2003 IMAP and Postini

Outlook 2003

Outlook 2003 rules question again

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

Configure Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook
While trying to configure Ms CRM for outlook throws an error message HTTP Status 401: Unauthorized.Can anyone put me out of this issue. ...

Troubleshooting Exchange
I'm just wanting to write some 'proof of concept' scripts relating to Exchange that would help in troubleshooting any issues. Like the Exchange connections/second, etc. Are there any other qualitative data that can be used in general troubleshooting? Marco ...

Remove headers in Outlook 2003?
I have the weirdest problem, From certain people that send me e-maols, the entire header is shown, all the technical gobbleygook that I really don't need to see and it causes the message to be 1) long ans 2) hard to read through all the techno-stuff. Most people that send me e-mail, I just get the message, am wondering what I need to do? Am I missing a setting in Outlook "03? (For some backround info-actually have Office '07 but had to remove it and install Office '03 for a few weeks due to a technical issue on my part) Any help is appreciated, Jeff "Jeff"...