How to tell if an account is an Exchange "service" account?

Sorry, just having a paranoid moment...

We've noticed an old functional account in AD called HelpLine which
has been disabled for ages. It's not a member of any groups.

An email address is listed on the General tab and we need to put that
address on another mailbox. However, each time the field is emptied,
the address appears to come back, so we can't assign it to another AD
account (address already exists in the organisation error).

In Exchange tasks on the account, I have the options to create a
mailbox, establish email address or remove Exchange attributes. I'm
pretty sure that I'll need to use the "remove Exchange attrs" option
to fix it.

We've a single E2K server in a X2K3 domain.

My question is could this account be an important Exchange "service"
account, like in Ex5.5, and could removing Exchange attrs stop the
whole of Exchange from working? How can one tell?

If it were a very important account, and the attrs were removed, would
simply restoring that account alone fix any problems or could other
parts of AD be changed?

Did say I was a little paranoid. Bear with me please.

Thanks,

- Alan.

0
bruguy (167)

If it's been "disabled for ages" it can't be doing anything useful.... :)
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange
"Alan" <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, just having a paranoid moment...
>
> We've noticed an old functional account in AD called HelpLine which
> has been disabled for ages. It's not a member of any groups.
>
> An email address is listed on the General tab and we need to put that
> address on another mailbox. However, each time the field is emptied,
> the address appears to come back, so we can't assign it to another AD
> account (address already exists in the organisation error).
>
> In Exchange tasks on the account, I have the options to create a
> mailbox, establish email address or remove Exchange attributes. I'm
> pretty sure that I'll need to use the "remove Exchange attrs" option
> to fix it.
>
> We've a single E2K server in a X2K3 domain.
>
> My question is could this account be an important Exchange "service"
> account, like in Ex5.5, and could removing Exchange attrs stop the
> whole of Exchange from working? How can one tell?
>
> If it were a very important account, and the attrs were removed, would
> simply restoring that account alone fix any problems or could other
> parts of AD be changed?
>
> Did say I was a little paranoid. Bear with me please.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Alan.

0
bharat3597 (1006)
4/3/2007 12:15:25 PM
It doesn't sound like the kind of name that someone would choose for a
service account.  You can check by looking in Administrative
Tools/Services.  Double-click each Microsoft Exchange... service, and
then select the Log On tab.  That will tell you what the service
account is.

Also, have a look at the account in Active Directory Users and
Computers.  On the Email Addresses tab, is the 'Automatically update
email addresses...' checkbox selected?  If so, then that would explain
why the removed address keeps coming back.

Lee.

--
_______________________________________

Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP
www.owapda.com
email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m
_______________________________________

"Alan" <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, just having a paranoid moment...
>
> We've noticed an old functional account in AD called HelpLine which
> has been disabled for ages. It's not a member of any groups.
>
> An email address is listed on the General tab and we need to put
that
> address on another mailbox. However, each time the field is emptied,
> the address appears to come back, so we can't assign it to another
AD
> account (address already exists in the organisation error).
>
> In Exchange tasks on the account, I have the options to create a
> mailbox, establish email address or remove Exchange attributes. I'm
> pretty sure that I'll need to use the "remove Exchange attrs" option
> to fix it.
>
> We've a single E2K server in a X2K3 domain.
>
> My question is could this account be an important Exchange "service"
> account, like in Ex5.5, and could removing Exchange attrs stop the
> whole of Exchange from working? How can one tell?
>
> If it were a very important account, and the attrs were removed,
would
> simply restoring that account alone fix any problems or could other
> parts of AD be changed?
>
> Did say I was a little paranoid. Bear with me please.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Alan.

0
Lee
4/3/2007 12:15:55 PM
Thanks.

There aren't actually any Exchange-related tabs in ADUC but yet I
still have the "remove Exchange attrs" option under Exchange Tasks.
I'm pretty sure that it never had a mailbox but may have just been a
mail-enabled contact. We use two messaging systems.

In the past, we've had to use the "remove attrs" option to fix objects
which have become, um, stuck.

On Apr 3, 2:15 pm, "Lee Derbyshire [MVP]" <email a@t leederbyshire d.
0.t c.0.m> wrote:
> It doesn't sound like the kind of name that someone would choose for a
> service account.  You can check by looking in Administrative
> Tools/Services.  Double-click each Microsoft Exchange... service, and
> then select the Log On tab.  That will tell you what the service
> account is.
>
> Also, have a look at the account in Active Directory Users and
> Computers.  On the Email Addresses tab, is the 'Automatically update
> email addresses...' checkbox selected?  If so, then that would explain
> why the removed address keeps coming back.
>
> Lee.

> Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAPwww.owapda.com
> email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m
> _______________________________________
>
> "Alan" <bru...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Sorry, just having a paranoid moment...
>
> > We've noticed an old functional account in AD called HelpLine which
> > has been disabled for ages. It's not a member of any groups.
>
> > An email address is listed on the General tab and we need to put
> that
> > address on another mailbox. However, each time the field is emptied,
> > the address appears to come back, so we can't assign it to another
> AD
> > account (address already exists in the organisation error).
>
> > In Exchange tasks on the account, I have the options to create a
> > mailbox, establish email address or remove Exchange attributes. I'm
> > pretty sure that I'll need to use the "remove Exchange attrs" option
> > to fix it.
>
> > We've a single E2K server in a X2K3 domain.
>
> > My question is could this account be an important Exchange "service"
> > account, like in Ex5.5, and could removing Exchange attrs stop the
> > whole of Exchange from working? How can one tell?
>
> > If it were a very important account, and the attrs were removed,
> would
> > simply restoring that account alone fix any problems or could other
> > parts of AD be changed?
>
> > Did say I was a little paranoid. Bear with me please.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > - Alan.- Hide quoted text -

bruguy (167)

Contract
When I attempt to Invoice a Contract, I get the following error: <description>The service address of the contract is invalid.</description><details>The service address is invalid, this contract can not be set to invoice state.</details> Does anyone know what the issue/error could be? Hi Kathy, Not sure about service address, but check if the contact address and bill-to address for the contract has been set. To invoice a contract both these addresses are required. Hope this helps! Sam _______________ Inogic Innovative Logic Innovative solutions for your SME E...

Cannot stop using online services with First Tech Credit Union
My bank, First Tech Credit Union, recently upgraded their online banking services. This upgrade also included a change to the user name and password used for online banking in Money 2006. Their upgrade instructions (http://www.firsttechcu.com/help/help_guide_money.html) say to disable online services for your Money file as the third step to upgrading to the new services. The problem is that when I click on Stop Using Online Services in Money nothing happens. I click on OK and Money hangs for a bit then comes back with no change, clicking on OK again has the same effect, clicking on ...

Service Pack Installation Issues with GP 9.00.0247.0 on Windows Vi
Greetings, I have installed Great Plains v9.00.0114.0 on Windows Vista. I ran the installation package MicrosoftDynamicsGP-KB923671-v9-ENU, but receive the following messages with result of a failed installation of the Service Pack. Log Name: Application Source: MsiInstaller Date: 10/8/2007 11:50:13 AM Event ID: 11729 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: Classic User: ABR\administrator Computer: AD088.abr Description: Product: Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0 -- Configuration failed. Event Xml: <Event xmlns="http://schemas...

Services error
I cannot start about 3 service on my exchange server5.5 and it gives this error when trying to start the information store - 'The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service returned service specific error 4294966767' have any body experienced this and what can i do? Please see the following article: 246272 XADM: Service Specific Error 4294966767 Appears, Information Store Stops http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246272 -- Hope that helps. ------------------------- Jaclynn Hiranaka Enterprise Messaging Support This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and c...

EmigrantDirect, wrong web address for online services (Money 2003)
Version: Money 2003 (I know, I know, I'll upgrade if I can ever get it to work correctly...) I used to be able to receive transactions from EmigrantDirect. However, as of last year, they changed their web address. The web address stored by Money is (https://cib-maintpg.ibanking-services.com/special/b321_maint.htm), which is no longer valid. Is there a way I can manually change the address, or guide Money to the right address? I have tried to go in through the browser in Money to download statements directly, but I can't seem to update the address so that automatic downloads...

Great Plains Web Service Error
I am using the Dynamics GP Web services and receive the following error when calling GetSalesOrderByKey(salesDocumentKey, context), String was not recognized as a valid DateTime. Is anyone able to steer me in the right direction? The sales orders are created in GP. 1) Exception Information ********************************************* Exception Type: System.InvalidOperationException Message: There is an error in XML document (1, 2572). TargetSite: System.Object Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader, System.String, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents) HelpLink: NULL Source: System.Xm...

Services won't stop! HELP!
I do offline backups of all our remote Exchange 2003 servers. A batch file is run with a series of "net stop" commands the shuts down all the Exchange services, and then kicks off the backup. I just noticed that the batch file is no longer able to stop most of the services! When i run it manually, it just says "The xyz service is stopping........................" The "....." just keep going and going and the service never stops. What could cause this?? On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:41:29 -0500, "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote: >I do offline ...

MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL
How do you fix "MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL" "Paul Whitley" <paul@pwhitley.com> wrote in message news:071701c36be2$e0c42e00$a001280a@phx.gbl > How do you fix "MAPI was unable to load the information > service PSTPRX.DLL" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293058 -- ____________________________________________________________ ** Share with others. Post replies in the newsgroup. ** If present, remove all "-nix" from my email address. ______________________________________________________...

Sales Staff Access on Service Requests
Is it possible to greet access a sales staff (only sales licence) on service requests (only read permission)? Is it possible to greet access a service staff on opportunities, quotes, orders (only read permission)? Without a Service license, sales staff cannot access the service module or the service reports. They can however see all cases when they open an account and click on the cases side tab. Same rules apply to service staff - if you need them to have access to opportunities, quotes, etc then you have to give them a sales license. Guy. "Rainer" <Rainer@discussions.mic...

notifyicon and context menu on windows service
Dear All : I encounter the problem on create windows service program I have create c# class jobservice the code as below : partial class sampleService : ServiceBase { private System.Windows.Forms.NotifyIcon TheIcon; private System.Windows.Forms.ContextMenu TheMenu; private System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem TheMenuItem; private System.ComponentModel.IContainer components; static void Main() { ServiceBase.Run(new sampleService()); } public sampleService() { this.ServiceName = &...

.pst error saying that 'allmyemail.pst' is not a .pst file, and "Propertied for this information service must be defined first."
With a different backup file than posted in a message minutes ago, I tried importing an got an error saying that my .pst file 'is not a .pst file'. Before that I have an error that says: "Propertied for this information service must be defined first." Any clues on this one? Thanx again, everyone. Again, that sounds as if it's still set to be read only. You'll also want to run SCANPST.EXE to detect and repair errors in the PST file(s). Keep running it until there are no errors. You may also want to run CHKDSK from Start | Run a few times to make sure there aren...

Can Terminal Services Licensing remain on a non-DC?
Our Exchange 5.5 box is currently on the same W2K Server box that holds our first DC. We have another DC set up and running and are preparing to DCPROMO the old DC. Currently this box is running the TS Licensing server. Can it remain on the Exchange server or do I have to move it to the new DC? Regards, Hank Arnold ...

Inventory Type from Service to Sales Inventory.
Hi I need to change Number of item bearing item type as Service into Sales Inventory, Kindly let me know if any one have some solution. Regards, ...

internet mail service wont start
We restart the internet mail service, but it just hangs and says "starting" instead of "start" and never does start. Using Exchange 5.5 with Server 2000. We are getting inbound emails fine, but outbound never make it. No error in the eventviewer either. Please help... if you're receiving email from the Internet, the IMS is functioning...unless you have another IMS somewhere? "Chris" <chrishoche@odysseylogistics.com> wrote in message news:06A35B4B-B8EE-49AD-9E53-46581BB8B973@microsoft.com... > We restart the internet mail service, but it jus...

Service Order
Hi all, Does anyone know of a service order add on for RMS? Thanks -- Crystal Roach ...

The service that allows you to download transactions from MSN Money My Account has been disabled.
Hi, I recently changed my Windows Live password. When I triy to setup online access to a credit card I get the message: "The service that allows you to download transactions from MSN Money My Account has been disabled. Close and reopen Money. If the problem persists then try turning the service off and then re-enabiling it. If the problem still persists you will need to re-enable the service with a new Windows Live ID." How do I turn off/re-enable the sevice? Do I really need a new Windows Live ID? I am using Microsoft Money Home & Business Version 17.0.150.72...

MS Exchange POP3 Service Missing
Hello, We are configuring an Exchange 2003 server and just discovered that the Microsoft Exchange POP3 service is missing. Is there a fix for this? If not, how can I install this service without wiping out my current Exchange, OWA and IIS configuration? Thanks Orville Use the Reinstall option when reinstalling Exchange. Make sure you have adequate backups and test before proceeding with such operations. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Orville" <orville@peoplescomputer.com> wrote i...

Service Companies and Invoicing
I have searched and found lots of questions, but no for sure answers. We are a consulting company using QB 2006 and MS CRM 3.0. Here is what we are trying to do: Use MS CRM 3.0 to perform the following: 1) capture customer cases as they call with issues (got that figured out - I think) 2) capture time spent on cases or freelance with customers (think I got that figured out) 3) aggregate that time and invoice it - printing invoices directly from MS CRM (now I am clueless) Is this possible? I just can not see the specific workflow we need to do this. I can not determine how to link t...

exchange services stop and start
Hi. Starting on 1/11/2007 our exchange SMTP and WWWPS services started stopping and starting randomly throughout the day. At first I thought it might be diskkeepers automatic defrag (which I installed on 1/17/2007) but even after that was turned off it still kept doing it. I then noticed the dates went back to 1/11 so I knew it probably didn't have to do with diskkeeper. I found this KB article, 304166, and was about to try the first step (deleting and recreating the vsi 1 folder. But then on 1/28 the errors in the event viewer ceased. Should I still be concerned or do you think ...

Error: Service Calendar
When I click on Service, Service Calendar, I get the error outlined below. This just started today. Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong? =========================== Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details: Server Error in '/' Application -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Server was unable to process request. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: Syste...

Service Design
Hi All, I am currently creating a service for my MFC application, the purpose of which is to send update messages to all clients that are using the system, for example when certain database records are created ...etc. Which is the better method for this, using a socket on the service through which the clients connect and wait for messages, or using DCOM with connection points? I am currently creating the service in ATL, and would be interested in any input as to the benefits/limitations of the two methods. Also, if anyone knows where I could find a good tutorial covering DCOM/Connection Points...

POS 2009
I though I saw where the service pack for POS 2009 was scheduled for release. Does anybody know when that might be? ce-thompson@ca.rr.com -- @adctech Hi Curt - a service pack is planned for Q4 of CY 2009. Thanks! -- Lori [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Curt Thompson" wrote: > I though I saw where the service pack for POS 2009 was scheduled for release. > Does anybody know when that might be? > ce-thompson@ca.rr.com > -- > @adctech ...

Great Plains
I am setting up a common dynamics.set file for GP users. I don't think everyone needs the Service Advantage dictionary but I can't find out anything about it. Does anyone know what the Service Advantage is? Jim Most likely you don't use it if it doesn't sound familiar. I believe with 7.5 it installs by default and in it's "free" form as installed I know it can be used from sales transaction entry to create returns from specific invoices. Otherwise if you really are using service advantage aka field service for service calls, contracts, etc then I would prob...

GP Web Services, performance and security
Firstly, it is taking me between 20 and 30 seconds processor time to instantiate the web proxy stub. For clarity, the statement DynamicsGP ws = new DynamicsGP(); executes for over 20 secs. This all occurs before it contacts IIS for the first time, so it is all client-side processing. This appears a bit excessive. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? Secondly, if I move the web services to another server, how do I move the security setup in ADAM with the service. Or do I have to recustomize the security again? 1. Yes the web proxy stub does take about that long to instantiate. From what...

deletable updates, hotfixes & service packs
I am running out of space on the fixed disk of my home machine. I use Windows XP Pro, Office & Internet Explorer. When I look at the "Currently installed programs & updates" list in "Add or remove programs" there are many security updates, updates, hotifixes & service packs. If the count of items in this category is proportional to the storage space they take, they take 50% of my storage. Can any of these items be deleted? Or does each new item of this type delete all possible previous versions, e.g. Service pack 3 deleted SP 2 & SP 1? If they ...