How to restore entire server?

This is a long post.

Its that time of year again where I practise some disaster recovery skills.

I set up a completely seperate physical network from the production network.
Its got one Win2000 server (DC + all the Operations Master roles, DNS, WINS,
etc) with SP4 (different AD/DNS root forest) and running Exchange 2000
with SP3 (same org name as production server, admin group, storage group,
logical and physical database names, legacyexchangeDN, etc). As a result, I
can successfully restore our production Exchange 2000 w/SP3 Storage
Group/Information Store database without problems. Outlook 2003 is also
installed on the test server for testing. The backup tool is NTBackup
utilising disk files.

On to the next experiment.

I tried restoring our production Exchange 2003 with SP2 Storage
Group/Information Store database to the test server. The database fails to
mount, complaining something about a different version log files. Can
someone confirm if indeed it is impossible to mount an Exchange 2003 SP2
Information Store database on an Exchange 2000 w/SP3?

On to the next experiment.

Insert Win2003 CDROM. Run adprep /forest followed by adprep /domainprep and
then winnt32 /unattend. About an hour later I have a working Win2003 system
with Exchange 2000 SP3. SHortly after I install SP1 for Win2003. Everything
is OK.

Attempted another restore of Exchange 2003 SP2 Information Store database.
The restore works but the store fails to mount due to 'eseutil /cc <dir>'
refusing to commit the logs to the database (essentially same problem as
above).

On to the next experiment

Insert Exchange 2003 CDROM and run setup /forestprep followed by setup
/domain prep followed by installation of Exchange components. It is at this
stage that I realised Exchange 2003, apparently, should have been installed
*before* the upgrade to Win2003. Alas, it works anyway :)

Attempted another restore of Exchange 2003 SP2 Information Store database.
The restore works but the store fails to mount due to 'eseutil /cc <dir>'
refusing to commit the logs to the database (essentially same problem as
above).

Silly me forgot to install SP2 for Exchange 2003.

Attempted another restore of Exchange 2003 SP2 Information Store database.
The restore works and the store mounts without problems and I can see
contents of mailboxes/public folders.

On to the next experiment.

I use NTBackup to backup the entire computer to a disk file and move that
file to a safe location.
I format the server (all disks).
I carry out a clean install Win2003 + SP1. Its just a standalone server now.
I boot into Directory Services Restore Mode (is this even necessary since AD
hasnt even been installed yet?)
I run NtBackup and restore the backup made earlier. NTBackup tells me to
restart.

So I restart, but then Windows fails to boot with a
'\winnt\system32\confi\system' problem.
My goal was to be able to return the test server back to the way it was
before I formatted all the disks.
What am I doing wrong?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:49:27 +1100, "sysadmin"
<sysadmin@papernapkin.net> wrote:

>This is a long post.

Maybe you should start here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A58F49C5-1190-4FBF-AEDE-007A8F366B0E&displaylang=en

"Exchange Server 2003 Disaster Recovery Operations Guide"

0
adavid (8731)

Feasibility of using sql server express
Hi Is sql server express ok for a 20 user contacts database which is used mostly for queries and rarely has updates or inserts? Many Thanks Regards > Is sql server express ok for a 20 user contacts database which is used > mostly for queries and rarely has updates or inserts? Without knowing anything else about the application and assuming that the queries are not intensive, my guess is that the Express edition is adequate as long as you can operate within the space limitation and have adequate hardware for the workload. I think this would be easy to test. ...

restore pri.edb and pub.edb
I just have online backup of exchange from backupexc. exchange agent. and a offline backup of pri.edb & pub.edb two files only. I try to restore by online backup, but fail to start all service after that. have other method to do it ? Provide some details about the failure. What errors do you get? What procedure did you follow? What version of Exchange etc etc. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. "daniel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Software Update Services for Win3k server
I was reading a document today on SUS for Win3K server, and was wonder if a trail CD is available? From what I read it may be what I need, but I don't want to purchase the product and find that it may not be quite what I'm looking for. What I'm looking to do is set up something that will go out an gather my antivus/securtiy updates via the web and push/install that on my clients. Thanks Try this link. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A7AA96E4-6E41-4F54-972C-AE66A4E4BF6C&displaylang=en Bill Walter "A Savage" <asavage@objectscience...

Server Error 403 Forbidden: Access is denied
Running Windows XP SP3 attempting Windows Update. Attempted to use the information in the below thread, however, I am not having any success. I have attempted reinstalling the Update agent, restarting computer and still receiving the same error. Part of the tread was a little too technical and I was getting lost. "MMurphy" wrote: > Running Windows XP SP3 attempting Windows Update. > Attempted to use the information in the below thread, however, I am not > having any success. I have attempted reinstalling the Update agent, > restarting computer and ...

Autonumber Workaround with SQL Server 2005 BE
I built a multi-user contacts application as a split Access database initially and then moved the back end to SQL Server 2005 using an ODBC connection. I implemented an AutoNumber workaround to avoid primary key collisions when users attempt to add records at the same time (probably borrowed from Allen Browne or Albert Kallal?) by setting the default value of the ContactID field = DMax("ContactID", "tblContacts") + 1 and trapping any duplicate key errors as follows: Private Sub Form_Error(DataErr As Integer, Response As Integer) On Error GoTo Err_Form_Error Resp...

Force outgoing SMTP to another SMTP server?
Ladies and Gents, I have a problem. I have an Exchange 2003 server Outlook 2002 (XP) workstations. (may consider moving to Outlook 2003 at a later date as it's brilliant) Anyhow,... The way this very small business is set up, is that the users download mail from a POP external mailbox over the net and store the mail on their Exchange server store. (don't ask and no I simply can not change it from this, budget is too small) Now the thing is, if they REPLY to an INTERNAL exchange recipient on the domain and CC in an EXTERNAL recipient, my exchange server (or perhaps the outlook clie...

Why my crm server become fast and slow sometime?
We installed a CRM Server(CRM Server+SQL Server2005+Reporting Service). The user and data's number is very small. We met a strange problem, the peformance is fast sometime and slow sometime. The situation is: When I click a function, it runs very slow. After that, every function runs fast. After some minutes not using, I click crm again, it becomes slow again. Could somebody help me ? Hi, Since you have all installed on a single server. It might cause slowness when users access a SQL server for data, etc... Another thing you can check is the Content Expiration on your IIS for the web p...

Dynamics GP v9.0 Utilities
No servers are currently listed after launching Dynamics GP Utilities. Please help! Server: no server listed User id: sa Password: ****************** ...

Mailbox Size limit
A user is receiving the warning email "Your mailbox is over its size limit", saying his email mailbox size is 1,100,000 KB and the limit before the warnings is 1,000,000 KB (numbers used for this example). The problem is, yesterday he deleted the emails out of his mailbox that brough him down to 950,000 KB, and today he's deleted his mailbox down to 750,000 KB. I guess we'll see if he gets another warning email, but really he shouldn't have received one this morning. Any thuoghts as to why? He did log off his computer yesterday so I would have thought that the mailbox ...

Cannot access exchange server via ESM
I dont know how this happened but... QUICK BACKGROUND: Had an old 2000 exchange server called EXCH1 (if you will) Built a new 2000 server because the first was dying fast and called it EXCH2 After migrating over, reassigning the roles blah blah everything worked fine I unplugged the Data cable from EXCH1 to see what happens and we have been good for a month. NOW THE PROBLEM: Now when I go to ESM I see both servers. When I click or right click EXCH2 it freezes and then eventually times out with no error. When I go to active directory 2000 and create a new user, it forces me to push them to E...

Exchange 5.5 SP4 and HotFixes and Blackberry Server
I have a Exchange Server running NT 4.0 SP6 and Exchange Server 5.5 SP4. I also have Blackberry Server running on this server. I will be upgrading Blackberry this weekend. Part of the requirements are to un-install Outlook from this Server and re-install Exchange 5.5 SP4. By re-installing the Service Pack will this causes problems with hotfixes that have been installed on this box ? Thanks Kevin Emore You would have to apply any hotfixes that were applied after SP4. -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "Kevin Emore" <kemore@icgc...

"unable to connect to server"
Outlook is giving me this error when I perform the "send/receive" command. I can go into the account properties and send a test which states that all is well. After closing the account properties, I am able to successfully send and receive email until I close Outlook. When I open Outlook again, the problem starts up again. Any ideas? Thanks, -cos ...

How to set the SMTP server in OL2000
How to set the Outlook 2000 to send email by a specific SMTP server? (I have Exchange Server in the profile.) Su wrote: > How to set the Outlook 2000 to send email by a specific SMTP server? > (I have Exchange Server in the profile.) If you have OL2000, you can't use Internet Mail and Exchange in the same profile - it isn't supported. Either use a different profile for your Internet mail, or use OE for same, or upgrade to OL2003 which can handle both types of accounts in one profile - or if this is mail on your company domain, talk to the Exchange admin about having the Ex...

Restoring Backup.pst in Outlook 2000
My boss just had to rebuild his laptop and had backed up his data whole--no utility or anything--including making a backup of his Outlook files. After the system was wiped and Office installed, he can't get his data back into Outlook. I tried just opening the file, but it won't let me. Any clues? I can give more info if necessary when I get back to the office tomorrow, such as the exact error message. I just thought maybe there was a known issue with an easy solution. Brandy Alexandre <brandy@kamikaze.orgy> wrote: > After the system was wiped and Office installed...

Run Excel file on a Server
I have an 8 meg excel file that needs to be shared with a whole team who connects to our web site with a very slow connection. Is there a way to "run" an Excel file on a server, so that the user is actually only loading the "tab" that they are using vs. loading the entire file everytime they want to look one thing up. This Excel file is updated regularily. Sadly, it won't work to just distribute it on CDs. Thanks in advance! Jon ...

Storage Pool for Secondary DPM Server
The primary DPM server is protecting 9 TB on various file servers. What is the calculated size that is needed for the secondary DPM storage pool? You can use the various storage calculators available for DPM: http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2007/10/31/data-protection-manager-2007-storage-calculator.aspx. Based the on the protection requirement the disk space requirements changes. DPM 2010 storage calculators are available at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=c136c66c-bd4a-4fb1-8088-f610cd02dc51 Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] Thi...

Windows 2008 Server Kerberos Certificate error ID 29
Hello, I had a Windows 2000 Domain Controller, and translate all AD funtions to a new Windows 2008 server, PDC, GC. All worked fine, but a few days ago I got this error, ID 29, Kerberos-Key-Distribution-Center, not certificate found.... All users can´t access the network shares by the server name, but through the IP we managed to restore the network units. Is there a way to restore the certificate , without regenerate the domain? I ´thank you all in advance for reading, any help will be like a christmas´s gift. More or less... Greetings.. Can you give more detail...

Exchange server 2007 x64 export and import User mailbox
How I can export and import User mailbox with exchange server 2007 x64 using command line or any way. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998579(EXCHG.80).aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691363(EXCHG.80).aspx -- Mark Fugatt Premier Field Engineer - Unified Communications Microsoft Limited This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights "Yousef aljaafari" <Yousefaljaafari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D79AF50D-5FE7-452A-BF94-8A457ACB9ED9@microsoft.com... > How I can export and import...

How to export mailbox size list from exchange server 5.0?
Does anybody can help me to find a way to export exchange mailbox size list? my exchange server is 5.0vs. THank you very much. J In EXadmin, navigate to the mailbox list under the server - there is a column listing the mailbox sizes. Export that out. HTH. "yiyuhong" <yiyuhong@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OrEsz8s6DHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Does anybody can help me to find a way to export exchange mailbox size list? > my exchange server is 5.0vs. THank you very much. > > J > > ...

Project Server 2007 Migration
We are currently running Project Server 2002, and I have been tasked with migrating to Project Server 2007. The plan includes moving to a new server. My thoughts are to (why I am posting) install Project Server 2007 to the new hardware (Windows Server 2003 SP2 w/ SQL Server Ent. Edt. 2008 to host the Application/Web/Database). Once this has been completed, is there a way to restore my current 2002 data into this environment? Thanks in advance and please let me know if more information is required. EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice ASP.NET Digest Authentication Agai...

Need advice on updating changes made to Exchange server
I have been looking for this answer and cant seem to find it anywhere on the internet. Its simply; how does one immediately update changes made to stmpvs or smtp connectors and have it applied right away? The problem I have is once changes are made to message limit size, it doesnt kick in right away and takes sometimes for it to update the changes I made throughtout the network. Thank you, -Theo restart the smtp service "Theo" <Theo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED67F57C-F6F2-46C3-9756-0B6DCBB36F2F@microsoft.com... >I have been looking for thi...

Forward as attachment? Recover headers stripped by Exchange server?
Is it possible to forward email as an attachment in Outlook 2002? Also, our Exchange server removes the internet headers from messages. Is there any way to recover them? Thx! 1) Tools-> Options-> tab Preferences-> button E-mail Options... 2) Are these internal messages or received from the outside? Internal messages don't have an Internet header. Otherwise it depends on your Exchange organization. For this repost the question with more details in an Exchange newsgroup -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How ...

Exchange and Server 2003. AD stopped creating exchange accounts
Exchange and Server 2003. AD stopped creating exchange accounts even with "create exchange email account selected" it reconized the exchnage store "server". I miss 5.5 where i could still go and manually create the email account and associate the NT account. HELP! what should I check! I would start by checking the event logs... "Tyler" <Tyler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F94D728E-0D80-42F9-AF74-30E6CD533F99@microsoft.com... > Exchange and Server 2003. AD stopped creating exchange accounts even with > "create exchange em...

Secure POP3/IMAP4 Virtual Servers
Hi! I want to create secure POP3/IMAP4 virtual servers on Exchange 2003 server. Exchange server should accept both secure and non-secure connections for POP3/IMAP4. Must I use addiotally IP addresses for secure POP3/IMAP4? Or can I use the same IP address for both non-secure and secure POP3/IMAP4 virtual servers? Best Regards Mustafa Hi you can using this KB depoly your POP3/IMAP 4 Virtual Server http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823024 -- Jammy "mustafa" <mustafa@discussions.microsoft.com> ���g��l��s�D :07481DA8-C1BE-4160-BF93-A3887C830F72@micros...