How to restore entire server?

This is a long post.

Its that time of year again where I practise some disaster recovery skills.

I set up a completely seperate physical network from the production network.
Its got one Win2000 server (DC + all the Operations Master roles, DNS, WINS,
etc) with SP4 (different AD/DNS root forest) and running Exchange 2000
with SP3 (same org name as production server, admin group, storage group,
logical and physical database names, legacyexchangeDN, etc). As a result, I
can successfully restore our production Exchange 2000 w/SP3 Storage
Group/Information Store database without problems. Outlook 2003 is also
installed on the test server for testing. The backup tool is NTBackup
utilising disk files.

On to the next experiment.

I tried restoring our production Exchange 2003 with SP2 Storage
Group/Information Store database to the test server. The database fails to
mount, complaining something about a different version log files. Can
someone confirm if indeed it is impossible to mount an Exchange 2003 SP2
Information Store database on an Exchange 2000 w/SP3?

On to the next experiment.

Insert Win2003 CDROM. Run adprep /forest followed by adprep /domainprep and
then winnt32 /unattend. About an hour later I have a working Win2003 system
with Exchange 2000 SP3. SHortly after I install SP1 for Win2003. Everything
is OK.

Attempted another restore of Exchange 2003 SP2 Information Store database.
The restore works but the store fails to mount due to 'eseutil /cc <dir>'
refusing to commit the logs to the database (essentially same problem as
above).

On to the next experiment

Insert Exchange 2003 CDROM and run setup /forestprep followed by setup
/domain prep followed by installation of Exchange components. It is at this
stage that I realised Exchange 2003, apparently, should have been installed
*before* the upgrade to Win2003. Alas, it works anyway :)

Attempted another restore of Exchange 2003 SP2 Information Store database.
The restore works but the store fails to mount due to 'eseutil /cc <dir>'
refusing to commit the logs to the database (essentially same problem as
above).

Silly me forgot to install SP2 for Exchange 2003.

Attempted another restore of Exchange 2003 SP2 Information Store database.
The restore works and the store mounts without problems and I can see
contents of mailboxes/public folders.

On to the next experiment.

I use NTBackup to backup the entire computer to a disk file and move that
file to a safe location.
I format the server (all disks).
I carry out a clean install Win2003 + SP1. Its just a standalone server now.
I boot into Directory Services Restore Mode (is this even necessary since AD
hasnt even been installed yet?)
I run NtBackup and restore the backup made earlier. NTBackup tells me to
restart.

So I restart, but then Windows fails to boot with a
'\winnt\system32\confi\system' problem.
My goal was to be able to return the test server back to the way it was
before I formatted all the disks.
What am I doing wrong?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:49:27 +1100, "sysadmin"
<sysadmin@papernapkin.net> wrote:

>This is a long post.

Maybe you should start here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A58F49C5-1190-4FBF-AEDE-007A8F366B0E&displaylang=en

"Exchange Server 2003 Disaster Recovery Operations Guide"

0
adavid (8731)

Front End Server Purchase
We currently do not use an Exchange Front End Server due to the high cost of buying another Exchange box. However, I recently heard Microsoft is selling a very cheap Exchange Server license to cover the Exchange Front End Server box. Can you tell me what the name is for this license? I can't find it to purchase the license but my guess is that I am not calling it by the correct name. Thanks! -- NC Beach Bum You can run a front-end on Exchange 2003 Standard. The retail on it is inexpensive when compared to Exchange 2003 Enterprise...and it depends on what "cheap" ...

Interesting problem encountered (Restore)
Hello all Running exchange 2003 sp1 on windows 2003. I recently restored an online backup from last night to a RSG on the exchange box. This all went well. I then had to recover a mailbox from the RSG that had been purged from the original DB, (this mailbox is on the tape) To recover this mailbox I created a new storage group, and a maibox store in the storage group. Once this was done i copied the RSG databse to the newly created storage group and mailbox store. I waited a few minutes for replication, and then mounted the store. I could see the milbox that i need to recover, i right c...

Reasons for a Server
What compelling reasons can I give my boss for purchasing a Server? I want us to share outlook calendars and have a reliable backup system. What else though can I tell him? (Please see my other post "Sharing", 8/16/04, for additional info.)Thanks! -- Karen ...

FE-BE Server Distribution Lists
Hello, I have a front end 2003 exchange server and a back end 2003 exchange server. I have an SMTP virtual server accepting in mail, and the SMTP connector configured with the FE VS as the bridgehead. My problem is when people send to global distribution lists from outside of the organisation they sit in the FE SMTP Mailbox and cause a x.400 message loop.. I have managed to research this problem to discover if I go in and manually set the distribution group expansion server to the BE, then people sending to the distribution group works fine, otherwise doesnt work. As mentioned this is a p...

Errors after removing old Exchange server
After removing our old Exchange 2000 server we have issues with Outlook 2003 clients getting error "0x8004010f" when clicking the send receive button. After doing a bit of research I beleive that the old server still housed the following: OAB Version 2 Offline Address Book Schedule+ Free Busy Information I cannot bring the old server back to life now ! Is there a way to rehome these functions to the new Exchange 2003 server manually??? If we did not replicate the system folders off of the decommissioned server we will need to recreate them. You can use a utility that is avail...

Replacing DC\DNS\DHCP Servers
I have two Windows 2003 Domain Controllers, both running DNS and one running DHCP. I built two new Windows 2008 servers that I want to take over these roles. What is the best way to replace these servers? I'm not sure to make them DC's first then DNS and DHCP. thanks. Rick Hello Rick, DNS install on a new Windows server 2008 DC can be installed duriing promotion, see my article about: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/02/10/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008-or-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx Best regards Mein...

Exchange and DC on separate servers?
hi all is it posible to run exchange server and domain controller on separate servers? What are the issues, cons and pros? Security? Thankx in advance Happy new year :) Its actually best practice to do so (i.e. have DCs on seperate servers/hardware from Exchange 2003) Here is a list of issues that is caused by having an Exchange server on a DC. http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2004/02/exchange_on_a_d.html -- Jonathan No Warrenties Implied, Did you do a FULL backup today?????? "guzzi" wrote: > hi all > is it posible to run exchange server and domain contro...

Rename Exchange Server #3
Exchange 2003\Active Directory 2003 (native\native) I want to rename an Exchange server since I just demoted it from being a DC. I cannot find any articles on this in KB. The only ones that come up are renaming a domain. This server is a front-end and back end. I realize I will have to rename the port reg entries, that is no big deal. When i tried to rename it, I had a bunch of services that didn't start, so I renamed it back. Can anyone point me to an article or give me some pointers? -Harry you cannot rename an Exchange server and get it to work again...you would have to completely ...

Diagnosing horrible performance on Server 2003 Installation
I'm running a medium-sized website hosted on a virtual server running Windows Server 2003 Web Edition. In the past few months, performance *really* gone downhill. At first I blamed this on certain embedded ASP code (not all affected pages used it, but I suspected it could still be hurting them if it was inflating memory usage). But performance is still horrible after a fresh reboot when memory usage is low (it typically increases until levelling out at about 270-330MB). And turning ASP processing off on those pages doesn't help much either. Where should I start when trying...

MFC based client server application query?
Hi experts I have developed an client server application using MFC sockets support. The server is a dialog based application & the client is an SDI application. I am having problem with sending data from client to server. After starting the server application, i start the client and try to connect & send data to server using the following code. void CMainFrame::OnConnect() { CSimpleSDIsockclientApp *pApp = (CSimpleSDIsockclientApp*)AfxGetApp(); int res = pApp->ClientSocket.Create(40000); if(res) { MessageBox("Client Socket at port no. 40000 Successf...

unable to remove old 5.5 server...
....from System Manager. Just upgraded/moved yesterday from a 5.5 box to a new Exch 2003 box....following all steps in deployment tools wizard. Now I can't seem to get rid of the old server. It's still listed under the Administrative Groups. Right-clicking it does not give the option to remove it. However, right-clicking the new Exchange 2003 server itself (under 'All Tasks'), does give the option to remove (although I obviously don't want to do that). Any clues? - tex You should be able to remove it using the Exchange 5.5 Administrator. You connect to the E...

Form Restore From Switchboard Not Working
Hi All, hope someone can help me with a problem I haven't been able tofigure out or research the answer for. I have created "restore" and"maximize" functions for my forms in previous databases and they workgreat, but for some reason they are not working correctly in adatabase I am now working on. In the "Activate" event of the forms, Ihave used the following code, DoCmd.Restore. When I pull up the formin the database, it restores correctly, but when I call up the formthrough the Switchboard, it always maximizes. As to the Switchboard,I have checked the cod...

Connect to proxi Server request
Using Outlook 2000 and Exchange 2000. On opening emails some users on the network are getting a user name and password box to connect them to the proxi server. This has only just started to happen in the last couple of days. Anyone any ideas what cold be causing this and if so how to stop it. Regards Beverley Smith ...

Connectivity problems to SQL Server 2005 from client machine
I have problem connecting to SQL Server 2005 SP3 installing on Windows server 2008. I can login from server using SQL Server authentication with "sa", but I can not from client , I opened SQL Server configuration manager and noticed that TCP IP protocol is enabled but even though, I still receive this error : ---------------------- An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Name...

Outlook can not find servers after updating office xp
I updated office xp with the service pack 3. Now outlook does not work. It can not find the servers on any of my email accounts. Everything worked fine prior to installing the patch. What change took place with Outlook to make it not find the servers? This is my work PC, and I need to get outlook operational. I need to either 1) fix the problem or 2) figure out how to completely remove office and the update so that I can reinstall office. Thank you in advance. What sort of accounts do you have? What version of Windows are you running? If Windows XP, did you also just apply SP-1? -- J...

SharePoint 2003-2007-2010 Servers sharing files
I am working in a project where we have a location that has upgraded to SharePoint 2010, we run the main location files with SharePoint 2003 and other locations with 2007. The work that is being done on the 2010 version needs to feed some of the content to our 2003 Sharepoint intranet. we are trying to avoid having to do this work twice to mirror the content in the two locations. and we are looking for a file share method. I am not a developer, please help with any suggestions you may have. thanks Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Auto Deployment...

Exchange 2k Server unable to send or receive emails.
Hi, Error message "Internal error occur while processing mail box store" appears when try to mount the mailbox store exchange 2000 Server. Hence the server unable to send or receive any email. The mailbox store is located under storage group. Would like to know how to resolve this & what could be the possible reason for this occurnce. Thanking u in advance for all your the time & effort. Mark Magesen Mark, What event appears in the Application event log of the Exchange server ? Paul Ford Edge IT Ltd "Mark Magesen" <MarkMagesen@discussions.microsoft.co...

Problems with Virtual SMTP server
I can't change any settings for the SMTP server in Exchange manager. I get a snap-in failed error. I looked through the event viewer and could only find DNS errors for the exchange server (2012 acouple of days ago). The client has an ISA server and the SMTP server is not set for split DNS. Today I saw this: The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error: Your profile is not configured. An unexpected, unknown error has occurred. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 8004011c-0521-00000000 This was the first time I have seen it and it happened only a...

Cannot remove ADC after removing 5.5 Exchange Servers
All migration was completed and 5.5 servers removed as per the MS articles. I cannot uninstall ADC. I get a message saying there are active connectors that have to be moved. The managment console seems of no help, and I have been unable to locate any articles that shed light on this. The message terminates the uninstall. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. -- LarryH Did you check this? (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316886) Removing the last Exchange 5.5 Server computer 1. Stop Exchange 5.5 services, and then set the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant to disabled. ...

Preventing Exchange 2000 Server from being used for Relaying
Hi, I am posting this message in the hope that I can gain a better understanding of preventing our Exchange 2000 Server, which is in the default configuration from being used as SMTP relaying server. As I mentioned above the 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' is in the default configuration, as deatiled in the support article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310380 At present, I am investigating what I need to improve the security of the 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' and I am considering deselecting the "Allow all computers which successfully au...

Anti-virus necessary on front end server?
I'm currently running Symantec Anti-virus for Exchange on my Exchange 2003 back-end server. I'm adding a front-end server to be used for OWA, POP3, and IMAP send/receive access. The server will have a store (for the direct POP3 and IMAP connectivity), but no mailboxes on it. Will I require anti-virus on this server as well as my back-end? I can't find any real recommendations on this. Thanks in advance. Paul On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:59:47 -0400, "Paul" <paul@nodomain.com> wrote: >I'm currently running Symantec Anti-virus for Exchange on my Exchange...

Exchange 2003 individual mailbox restoration
The previous administrator created a mailbox associated with one user. I removed the mailbox from the user and wanted to retore or connect if you will the removed mailbox to another user. I thought I could do this using the mailbox recovery center but I am unable to find the mailbox that I removed. I am new to exchange so I just figure I am missing a step somewhere. I know I could recover the mailbox from tape but it still does not solve the problem of moving the box from one user to another. Any help out there? -- Terri Touchton Systems Administrator Cambridge Maryland If you go i...

Server Side Rules restore
I am Running Exchange 2003 SP2. Our hardware failed and we have just gotten our server back up and running. The only thing I am unable to find are peoples server side rules. I know they are created in Outlook, but I thought they would be also on the server as well. Or will the people have to recreate them? -- Thanks, Mike On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:16:02 -0700, Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am Running Exchange 2003 SP2. Our hardware failed and we have just gotten >our server back up and running. The only thing I am unable to find are >peoples serve...

SBS 2008 server with remote branch office
Hi All, Here's my setup.. Company's New York main office running SBS 2008 Premium on 1 Dell PowerEdge T710 server with about 10 users. 2nd Windows 2008 server license not being utilized. Company is opening up a remote branch office in LA which needs to be connected back to the New York office server in every way possible. My question is, what would be the best way to effectively synchronize the two offices. I know about Outlook Anywhere, SharePoint, and remote desktop...but is something like Direct Access (SBS 2008 R2) worth looking into in an SBS 2008 environment? ...

2nd Exchange Server not visible
I have three servers in my lab domain, server01, server02, & server03. Server01 is a DC, GC, and the 1st Exchange server installed. Server02 is a member server & the 2nd Exchange server installed. Server03 is a DC and GC server. All mailboxes are currently in stores on Server01. Server02 has the default 1st Storage Group and has a mailbox store. When I try to move a mailbox from Server01 to Server02 only Server01 is visible in the drop down box. Both servers have MX records in DNS and both are members of Exchange domain servers. All 3 OSs are 2k3 Enterprise and both Exchanges a...