How to restore entire server?

This is a long post.

Its that time of year again where I practise some disaster recovery skills.

I set up a completely seperate physical network from the production network.
Its got one Win2000 server (DC + all the Operations Master roles, DNS, WINS,
etc) with SP4 (different AD/DNS root forest) and running Exchange 2000
with SP3 (same org name as production server, admin group, storage group,
logical and physical database names, legacyexchangeDN, etc). As a result, I
can successfully restore our production Exchange 2000 w/SP3 Storage
Group/Information Store database without problems. Outlook 2003 is also
installed on the test server for testing. The backup tool is NTBackup
utilising disk files.

On to the next experiment.

I tried restoring our production Exchange 2003 with SP2 Storage
Group/Information Store database to the test server. The database fails to
mount, complaining something about a different version log files. Can
someone confirm if indeed it is impossible to mount an Exchange 2003 SP2
Information Store database on an Exchange 2000 w/SP3?

On to the next experiment.

Insert Win2003 CDROM. Run adprep /forest followed by adprep /domainprep and
then winnt32 /unattend. About an hour later I have a working Win2003 system
with Exchange 2000 SP3. SHortly after I install SP1 for Win2003. Everything
is OK.

Attempted another restore of Exchange 2003 SP2 Information Store database.
The restore works but the store fails to mount due to 'eseutil /cc <dir>'
refusing to commit the logs to the database (essentially same problem as
above).

On to the next experiment

Insert Exchange 2003 CDROM and run setup /forestprep followed by setup
/domain prep followed by installation of Exchange components. It is at this
stage that I realised Exchange 2003, apparently, should have been installed
*before* the upgrade to Win2003. Alas, it works anyway :)

Attempted another restore of Exchange 2003 SP2 Information Store database.
The restore works but the store fails to mount due to 'eseutil /cc <dir>'
refusing to commit the logs to the database (essentially same problem as
above).

Silly me forgot to install SP2 for Exchange 2003.

Attempted another restore of Exchange 2003 SP2 Information Store database.
The restore works and the store mounts without problems and I can see
contents of mailboxes/public folders.

On to the next experiment.

I use NTBackup to backup the entire computer to a disk file and move that
file to a safe location.
I format the server (all disks).
I carry out a clean install Win2003 + SP1. Its just a standalone server now.
I boot into Directory Services Restore Mode (is this even necessary since AD
hasnt even been installed yet?)
I run NtBackup and restore the backup made earlier. NTBackup tells me to
restart.

So I restart, but then Windows fails to boot with a
'\winnt\system32\confi\system' problem.
My goal was to be able to return the test server back to the way it was
before I formatted all the disks.
What am I doing wrong?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 01:49:27 +1100, "sysadmin"
<sysadmin@papernapkin.net> wrote:

>This is a long post.

Maybe you should start here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A58F49C5-1190-4FBF-AEDE-007A8F366B0E&displaylang=en

"Exchange Server 2003 Disaster Recovery Operations Guide"

0
adavid (8731)

Hosting other websites on LB OWA Servers
We're considering collocation. We're on a budget and don't expect too much traffic but want some fault tolerance and better performance. Is it acceptable to run production web sites/web applications on the same load-balanced IIS as Exchange? Two servers-one OWA, one web site, two (light) data-driven web apps? Thanks in advance. On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:26:41 -0400, "msnews.microsoft.com" <intranologydeveloper@hotmail.com> wrote: >We're considering collocation. We're on a budget and don't expect too much >traffic but want some fault toleran...

Exchange server on MAPS RSS list
My Exchange 2000 server is on blacklisted on RSS. Whenever I run a open relay test from any website other than RSS it shows my relay is closed. My question is why is it that RSS shows my server as an open relay and how do I correct this? You could be on a BL for a number of reasons. Some RBL owners are stricter than others. It does not mean they are right, but it is their database/server and they wield the power to decide what they will block you for and for how long. If you are willing to provide your MX info, we can help you find out if you are truly open relay or not. -- Sincerely, D�j...

Exchange Server Registry Descriptions ??????
I need to find out the descriptions for all the Registry Entries that are related to Microsoft Exchange Server 2000. Is there any place where I could find a list of Registry Guide for Exchange or atleast a list of all the entries related to Exchange. These are the KEYS I am looking information on. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeDSAccess HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeES HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeMTA HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\C...

Printin DOS Application in Terminal Server
Hello, I'm working with a DOS application in TS, I need to capture the printer thaht i've in my session to a port lpt1, someone has any script that can detect the TS default printer, share it and use it as LPT1? -- Saluda Atte. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pedro C. Arias. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On 06/04/10 08:47, Pedro C. Arias wrote: > Hello, I'm working with a DOS application in TS, I need to capture > the printer thaht i've in my ...

HQ Server
Hi, Does anyone know a way to start HQ server as a service? rgds, Henk Wieland Hi Hank, HQ Server is not a service - it only starts when the user logs in. Are you having problems keeing it running? Have a great day! Amy -- Amy Luby, President Mobitech 13430 "L" Street Omaha, NE 68137 402.330.0707(o) 402.614.3519(f) www.mobitech.biz Microsoft Certified Business Solutions Partner: Microsoft Retail Management System "Henkie" <Henkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDF55408-533E-4947-8F00-D29DC88F41EB@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Does an...

Adjusting toolbar size, restore toolbar
I use MSN stock quote add-in. This has a toolbar w/ several buttons on it. However, I did something the other day and now I can not view all the buttons. And I can not adjust the width by "dragging". How can I restore the toolbar or adjust the width. I also unistalled and reinstalled the add-in, but it did not help Thank you! Try View > Toolbars > Customize "Josh M" wrote: > I use MSN stock quote add-in. This has a toolbar w/ several buttons on it. > However, I did something the other day and now I can not view all the > buttons. And I can n...

Windows Vista File Backup / Restore
Can anyone help. I've had a drive partition fail and, after a couple of days work (and a new drive), need to restore ALL the files from the original partition from my backup(s). I'm not clear how I do this... I assume Vista does Incremental Backups between Full Backups...? In which case I need to restore my (most recent) Full Backup followed by my Last Backup? Only problem is, I cant see, from the Vista Restore utility, which was my most recent Full Backup! Help. Thanks Mark ...

Crashed server in the ESM
I have a crashed server in the System manager, i am now using a new server as the exchange server 2003. But some objects still point to the crashed server. I tried hitting the 'DEL' key but it does not seem to work. It freezes for a while and then does nothing. I have removed all instances of this server from the AD but i would be completely satisfied once its gone from the ESM. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Kunal Fire up ADSIEdit and delete from Configuration | Services | Microsoft Exchange | Your Exchange Org | Administrative Groups | Your Admin Group | Servers. -- Bharat S...

POP3 server connect errors
Hello, WinXP Pro, Outlook 2k SP3 POP3 server connect failures. a) can send/receive emails under 100kb b) setup Outlook logging, and see server connect failures in logs for all email accounts across 3 domains. Things tried 1) All usual settings checked over, been running smoothly for months - ZoneAlarm, McAfee v8. Same results whether these disabled or enabled [did shut them down to test]. 2) Removed/Re-added Outlook email accounts. All settings standard POP3 110. Also tried increasing time-out. 3) Uninstalled/Re-installed Outlook 4) Moved outlook.pst and let Outlook recreate fresh pst...

Process server and times events
There seems to be mention of process server supporting timed events but I'm unable to find any more detail on this function - can anybody help? Is this for report server, or is that a separate function altogether? ...

Colour code from different servers
-- I collect mail from 2 different servers and I was wondering if it is possible to have them show in the IN BOX in different colours. I know I can select different senders by colour but I want to show all senders that came from each server. Can anybody help Pete A "Pete A" <PeteA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB77DCA6-A07E-47E9-AD04-62C8B6BC1193@microsoft.com... > > -- I collect mail from 2 different servers and I was wondering if it is > possible to have them show in the IN BOX in different colours. I know I > can > select different se...

Re: server and client threads #2
On 2/3/2005 1:48 PM, RSN_@_COMCAST.NET wrote to ALL: -> When you spawn the child thread you ordinarily pass it a parameter. -> What I do is make that parameter a pointer to the instance of the -> server class that spawned the child. That way, the child can easily -> notify its parent about any special events that may be useful. -> Termination is one such case! I also find it very useful to send a -> stream of diagnostic and debugging information to the parent who can -> display it, log it, or ignore it depending on circumstances. Good point. Now since my server thread...

How to limit the number of instances of an application on a server?
Hello all, I want to know (and to limit) the number of instances of my application on a server such as Microsoft Server 2003 or 2008. I know how to look for multiple instances of an app using Joe's code ("How to avoid multiple instances.. http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm#Avoiding%20Multiple%20Application%20Instances). I've implemented Joe's code and tested it the following way : Using Vista, I log in as user A and start my application. Then, without closing user A session, I log in as user B and start the same application. I had hoped that the mutex created when running th...

BP external deployment with no ISA server
Has anyone successfully deployed BP externally with no ISA server? I know ISA server is the only supported means of using BP on an extranet but my client doesnt have one. Any suggestions? Thanks Marisol Have them get one. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Marisol Britton" wrote: > Has anyone successfully deployed BP externally with no ISA server? I know > ISA server is the only supported means of using BP o...

Two Exchange servers no connection between mailboxes
Hi, I have just installed an Exchange 2003 server in the same forest as an Exchange 2000 server. The idea is to transfer all the mailboxes across when i'm satisfied the new server is doing everything I need. I moved two mailboxes today and have struck an issue. These two mailboxes can send mail to one another, but neither can send or receive mail from mailboxes still on the original exchange server. Is this normal? I would prefer not to move all the other mailboxes until I know it's working but I can't test it properly with this restriction. Thanks, John ...

/removeorg will it affect my 5.5 servers?
I have recently installed Exchange 2003 into my exchange 5.5 site, I now need to remove the 2003 server as it was only a test. Can I use the /removeorg to remove the exchange 2003 data from my active directory without it affecting my current 5.5 site. Thanks in advance. Lee. Lee Too late now but you shouldn't mess with your production environment in this manner. Get yourself a copy of MS Virtual Server or VMware and setup a lab. Did you set up the ADC connector as well? If so remove this and make sure your environment is stable before proceeding. In theory the /removeorg should h...

Help with setup of IIS Server
Hello, Could someone please point me in the right direction/newsgroups? I'm looking to setup an intranet server and need help with the setup and configuration of Windows Server 2003 IIS. Thanks William Hello Bill, Check: microsoft.public.inetserver.iis microsoft.public.inetserver.misc Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm > Hello, > > Coul...

Setup cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server
Hello everyone! We're diving into CRM 3.0. The web based testing phase ran well and we're now trying to play with the outlook desktop client. During the setup, I get the following error: "Setup cannot connect to the Microsoft CRM server. This might indicate that the server is down." I've tried modifying the default_client_config.xml file with the server ip address, the netbios name and eventually the FQDN. All failed. The web version, however, was reachable in all cases. I also tried increasing my privileges to local administrator after some google search, the error ...

Double database backups occuring only on our Great Plains Server
Why do we have double database backups occuring only on our Great Plains server? There is nothing abnormal with our database backup jobs. Though, we are using SQL Server database maintenaince plans for backing up the Great Plain databases. We even upgraded to a new server, and the dame problem exists. Furthermore, we have over 20 SQL Server 2000 servers, and this problem does not exist. Thank you. Have you checked your settings for Maintenance Plans and SQL Jobs in Enterprise Manager? Most likely you will see two jobs created in there for backups. To my knowledge Great Plains doe...

Outlook 2003 client connecting to Exchange 2000 server
I just recently moved my training department to XP & outlook 2003. They have a training calendar in the public folder list. When they send attendee/meeting requests for upcoming training events and the attendees accept the meeting, the tracking tab on the event does not update as being accepted. When they do it from a windows 2000 with outlook 2000 machine the tracking tab updates fine. Any suggestions? Also if it's an outlook 2003 to exchange 2000 issue does it get fixed when I move to Exchange 2003? Thanks John ...

Setting database location to SQL Server
Hello, I'm looking to move the POS system database from the local MSDE database to a SQL server. I've restored a recent backup (.bck) to a SQL server machine on our network and I'm looking for information on how to reconnect the POS to the new SQL server. Before we go live I will restore a new backup but I'm just testing the solution for now. The overall plan is to separate the database from the cash register and allow SQL server to perform backups and other normal database task. Is there a separate configuration tool for changing data connection information? ...

system restore 12-12-09
tried a point only 2 wks old. in Safe mode. No Changes made.... No Norton on set. Actually I want to dump all Updates that autoran in the last 2 wks, so I can retry SP3 taht is crashing. is there a way to do them en masse? thanx Never, EVER use System Restore to "undo" an update, Service Pack, or IE upgrade! Intead, uninstall the update, Service Pack, or IE upgrade & reboot. If that doesn't correct the problem, then try System Restore. -- ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002 www.banthecheck.com plugg...

Windows Mail stopped connecting to the server
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Vista x64 Ultimate overnight windows mail stopped connecting to the server. I installed C# express, VB Express, Python 2.6, and VB6 run times last night. I've tried disabling all virus scanning on the off chance that was blocking itbut no luck. Anyone got any ideas? The...

how to forward mail to correct domains and Exch servers,
We have an NT 4 domain (call it "NT4") and a new AD domain (call it "AD"). Domain NT4 is NT 4 with Exchange 5.5. New domain AD with Windows 2003 and very soon Exchange 2003. We have one Internet domain name ("abc.com"). How can we have mail sent to user@abc.com get routed to the correct Exchange server on the correct domain? Currently our firewall passes all SMTP traffic to the NT4 Exchange 5.5 server. I'm thinking the answer is the ADC, but will this work between two different (but trusting) domains? If this is the answer, does the ADC end up "ins...

How to restore a deleted Folder
Hi I have accedently deleted my receiving folder. Is it possible to restore it. If yes how can I restore it. Thank you -- Viper It should show up as a subfolder of your Deleted Items folder then unless you've already confirmed it to delete it permanently. Restoring methods completely depend on your version of Outlook and type of mail account that you are using. Restoring from backup will always work of course. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://ww...