How to migrate Exchange from parent to child domain?

Scenario: W2003 Forest consisting of 2 child domains. Single Exchange 2003
server in root domain, containing mailboxes for accounts in all three
domain. We want to add a second Exchange server in one of the child domains
for the mailboxes for this child domain only.

What's the best way to approach this?

TIA.

0
Shane

You'll be joining the same Exchange org and probably Admin group so the only
question is will you need a different routing group? This will depend on
whether or not the child and parent domains are at separate sites.

Regardless of the routing group you should just be able to install the new
Exchange server and use the move mailbox wizard to go from old to new, if
that is appropriate. Make sure you have checked your GC placement for the
new server.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/migrate.mspx

Nue
"Shane@smeIT" <shane(remove)@smeit.com.au> wrote in message
> Scenario: W2003 Forest consisting of 2 child domains. Single Exchange 2003
> server in root domain, containing mailboxes for accounts in all three
> domain. We want to add a second Exchange server in one of the child
> domains for the mailboxes for this child domain only.
>
> What's the best way to approach this?
>
> TIA.

0
imaneophyte (3004)
2/28/2006 1:19:00 PM
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:42:02 +1100, "Shane@smeIT"
<shane(remove)@smeit.com.au> wrote:

>Scenario: W2003 Forest consisting of 2 child domains. Single Exchange 2003
>server in root domain, containing mailboxes for accounts in all three
>domain. We want to add a second Exchange server in one of the child domains
>for the mailboxes for this child domain only.
>
>What's the best way to approach this?
>
>TIA.

Run domainprep.
Install Exchange and service packs etc...
Drink beer.

0
adavid (8731)
2/28/2006 2:14:31 PM
Hi Nuevo,

Thanks for your reply.

The new Exchange server will be installed to an existing DC in the child
domain, which is in a different country to the current exchange server in
the root domain. Also, most of the mailboxes are actually empty as currently
Outlook is configured for all users in the child domain to deliver mail to a
local personal folder on each users PC, so I was figuring I'd manually copy
all these to the new exchange server then exmerge them in. Thoughts?

Will I still need to use move mailbox wizard for any other reason?

TIA

"Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You'll be joining the same Exchange org and probably Admin group so the
> only question is will you need a different routing group? This will depend
> on whether or not the child and parent domains are at separate sites.
>
> Regardless of the routing group you should just be able to install the new
> Exchange server and use the move mailbox wizard to go from old to new, if
> that is appropriate. Make sure you have checked your GC placement for the
> new server.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/migrate.mspx
>
> Nue
> "Shane@smeIT" <shane(remove)@smeit.com.au> wrote in message
>> Scenario: W2003 Forest consisting of 2 child domains. Single Exchange
>> 2003 server in root domain, containing mailboxes for accounts in all
>> three domain. We want to add a second Exchange server in one of the child
>> domains for the mailboxes for this child domain only.
>>
>> What's the best way to approach this?
>>
>> TIA.

0
Shane
2/28/2006 8:53:24 PM
The mailbox move wizard not only copies the content but also handles
updating the Exchange info. I don't follow your comment on manually copy to
the new Exchange server. Exmerge might be appropriate to get content out
into PST and then ship a CD/DVD and reimport to save bandwidth but that is
quite a painful process. Stick with the Move Mailbox wizard if it is
practical.

> Hi Nuevo,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> The new Exchange server will be installed to an existing DC in the child
> domain, which is in a different country to the current exchange server in
> the root domain. Also, most of the mailboxes are actually empty as
> currently Outlook is configured for all users in the child domain to
> deliver mail to a local personal folder on each users PC, so I was
> figuring I'd manually copy all these to the new exchange server then
> exmerge them in. Thoughts?
>
> Will I still need to use move mailbox wizard for any other reason?
>
> TIA
>
> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> You'll be joining the same Exchange org and probably Admin group so the
>> only question is will you need a different routing group? This will
>> depend on whether or not the child and parent domains are at separate
>> sites.
>>
>> Regardless of the routing group you should just be able to install the
>> new Exchange server and use the move mailbox wizard to go from old to
>> new, if that is appropriate. Make sure you have checked your GC placement
>> for the new server.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/migrate.mspx
>>
>> Nue
>> "Shane@smeIT" <shane(remove)@smeit.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Scenario: W2003 Forest consisting of 2 child domains. Single Exchange
>>> 2003 server in root domain, containing mailboxes for accounts in all
>>> three domain. We want to add a second Exchange server in one of the
>>> child domains for the mailboxes for this child domain only.
>>>
>>> What's the best way to approach this?
>>>
>>> TIA.

0
imaneophyte (3004)
3/1/2006 9:42:07 PM
Thanks Nuevo,

I've done a bit more research on this now thanks to your info and also the
help of a local colleague, so yeah the move mailbox wizard is the way to go.
Most of the mailboxes are empty though (which is a good thing re bandwidth
:) so I will be using exmerge to upload all the local pst files once the
migration is complete.

Thanks

> The mailbox move wizard not only copies the content but also handles
> updating the Exchange info. I don't follow your comment on manually copy
> to the new Exchange server. Exmerge might be appropriate to get content
> out into PST and then ship a CD/DVD and reimport to save bandwidth but
> that is quite a painful process. Stick with the Move Mailbox wizard if it
> is practical.
>
> Nue
> "Shane@smeIT" <shane(remove)@smeit.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi Nuevo,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> The new Exchange server will be installed to an existing DC in the child
>> domain, which is in a different country to the current exchange server in
>> the root domain. Also, most of the mailboxes are actually empty as
>> currently Outlook is configured for all users in the child domain to
>> deliver mail to a local personal folder on each users PC, so I was
>> figuring I'd manually copy all these to the new exchange server then
>> exmerge them in. Thoughts?
>>
>> Will I still need to use move mailbox wizard for any other reason?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> "Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You'll be joining the same Exchange org and probably Admin group so the
>>> only question is will you need a different routing group? This will
>>> depend on whether or not the child and parent domains are at separate
>>> sites.
>>>
>>> Regardless of the routing group you should just be able to install the
>>> new Exchange server and use the move mailbox wizard to go from old to
>>> new, if that is appropriate. Make sure you have checked your GC
>>> placement for the new server.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/migrate.mspx
>>>
>>> Nue
>>> "Shane@smeIT" <shane(remove)@smeit.com.au> wrote in message

0
Shane

Exchange Security/Hotfix State
Hi All, I was wondering is there a way to check the hotfix/rollup state of the Exchange Server. I know I can use Baseline security Analyzer and Add/Remove Programs to check windows updates but is there a way (as in SQL Server) to determine what level of patching the Exchange Server is at ? Under ExchangeAdmin/Servers/Servername I get a version of Version 6.0 Build 6249.4 Service pack 3. This is despite the fact that I have installed Update Rollup for Exchange 2000 (KB870540). The version should now be 6396.1 , I thought. Neither does KB870540 appear in Add/Remove programs. Is the...

Outlook/Exchange problem #3
Sorry if this shows up twice, I thought I posted it already, but I don't see it here still... ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Two users out of about 60 having problems accessing their mailbox using Outlook. One of the users had their mailbox moved from one store to another on the same server, the other user had no changes made. They can both access their Inbox, but not any of the subfolders, or Deleted, Sent, Contacts, Calendar, etc. OWA seems to work fine for both users in all folders. I already tried recreating the mail profile, didn't he...

Exchange 2k3: Push e-mail working only for messages ending in INBOX
Dear All, I have several server-based rules active in my exchange profile that mostly route the incoming messages to specific subfolders. The push e-mail feature operates nicely with my smartphone, but only the messages not routed to subfolders get pushed. Is there a way to overcome this problem without having to link my push e-mail set-up to a separate account to be forwarded all the incoming mail from my primary account? Thanks in advance, Tomaz On 1 Aug 2006 14:58:20 -0700, "Tomaz" <tomaz.lajovic@borzen.si> wrote: >Dear All, > >I have several server-based rul...

Can outlook custom fields be migrated into CRM?
I've got a client who I have created a custom outlook contact form for, with several custom fields. I would like to migrate this client to MS CRM in the near future, and before I have them populate all these custom fields with data, I would like to know if those custom outlook form fields will be available when I migrate the contacts from Outlook (well exchange public folder actually) into CRM. I want to assure that the data that gets entered in those fields will not be all for naught when CRM rolls around. Thanks, Ryan The way to ensure that your fields are i ported into CRM is to: ...

Configuring ISA and Exchange
Hi, Is there a single or at-a-glance article that lists the steps i need to perform to publish my OWA using ssl bridging along with details of certificate installation, forms-based authentication configuration, etc...? On Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:19:02 -0700, Jack Dorson <JackDorson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Is there a single or at-a-glance article that lists the steps i need to >perform to publish my OWA using ssl bridging along with details of >certificate installation, forms-based authentication configuration, etc...? isaserver.org On Fri, 9 Jun 20...

HELP Rebuilding Failed Exchange Server
We are attempting to rebuild our failed exchange 2003 sp2 server. We have a system state backup and an exchange backup using NTBackup. We installed to OS, then we restored the system state, and the machine fails to boot. It loads ntkernal and then reboots or hangs. Can we somehow recover from not having the system state? Can we install Windows2003R2, patch the systm, harden the system, install Exchange 2003 in recovery mode, restore exchange data from backup, and THEN WHAT? Any assistance, GREATLY appreciated. Doug Evans IT Manager Association of Washington Cities www.awcnet.org ...

Outlook 2000 slow to load on Hosted Exchange Server
Afternoon All - My company contracted with a 3rd party Exchange Host for our email. Some of the brokers are running Outlook2000 over WinME (yes, we know its old!) I have seen numerous posts on O2K hanging on startup for a few minutes, and to update the hosts file with the IP of the exchange server to resolve this. My questions are: 1) Does this work for Hosted Exchange Servers or only Local ones? 2) Do I have to do this on each machine? Any other ideas? Clients with Outlook2003 work fine. Mailbox sizes are nothing too large. Thanks! jfreer at gmail dot com ...

Exchange ActiveSync Issues
I have set up activesync on Exchange 2003 with service pack 2 and a windows mobile 5 device (with msfp). When I try to sync (by GPRS, WIFI or by connection through a desktop) the synchronization checks folder, detects numbers of emails/contacts etc and completes with a "Syncrhonized" message and no error messages. The syncrhonization is too fast for it to download the 100 or so emails and when I switch to outlook on the pda, no emails are displayed. The synchronization seems to have trouble finding or communicating with the Exchange server, and it doesnt seem to make any diff...

Exchange 5.5
Are there any problems with changing the password on the Exchange 5.5 service account? nope...see this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/157780/en-us -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Tim" <tjc7546@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:777A4324-A65A-4644-B52A-11BB26DD174B@microsoft.com... > Are there any problems with changing the password on the Exchange 5.5 service > account? ...

Outlook 2003 on Windows Server 2003 terminal and Exchange 2000
Hi, I have a weird problem. Setup DC1 running W2K Server DC2 running W2K Server and Exchange Server 2000 DC3 running W2K3 Server and TERMINAL SERVER and OFFICE 2003 Now the problem i when i connect to the W2K3 Server with Terminal and open Outlook 2003 i can read/reply mails without any problems. But when i try to make a new mail i cannot click the TO/CC/BCC button --> this gives me an error message that the server doesnt support it ???!!!??? It gets weirder : when i type in the TO/CC/BCC address space the alias of my contact it translates it perfectly to the correct email address. So...

Migrating POP3 accounts to Exchange Server 2003
currently each user has his or her Bellsouth.net e-mail address, would like to move these folks over to Exchange Server 2003, is there an easy migration method, thanks. Have you set up Exchange already? Set up mail profiles for each user in Outlook that have the Exchange server & Outlook Address Book service *only*? How are you going to handle Internet mail? Do you have a registered domain name you plan to use now that you have Exchange? You can't move the current POP mail accounts to Exchange, but you can move/copy the data in the users' PST files to the Exchange mailboxes...

Exchange 2003 and Messages with PDF attachment not delivered
This is a very odd problem. We have some users we absolutely do not receive messages from a specific source that have PDF attachments. No message in inbox or anywhere at all, the sender does not get a NDR. And get this, message tracking center reports the message as having been delivered. I have after verifying that the message is reported as delivered through message tracking performed an advanced search of the user's mailbox starting at the root. I have also checked rules etc. We have about 25 users who exhibit this behavior. These messages deliver fine to other users boxes (includi...

Installing
Hi I have a client that can only log into their system as site admin, is there any way Microsoft CRM can be installed as a site admin? Oh and can anyone let me know what the difference is betwee installing CRM as a Site admin as opposed as a Domain admin? Hi Marlen, Installing crm is only possible as domain administrator. I have had issues with this before as well. You might want to set up a new domain and make it a trusted domain. Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands "Marlen" wrote: > Hi > > I have a client that can only log into their system as site admin, is ther...

Exchange 2003 Event Viewer Error
I have recently upgraded from 2000 to 2003 server. Exch 2003 is showing an error when I view the Event Viewer Application, I am seeing the same error over and over. "The service threw an unexpected exception which was caught at f:\titanium\dsa\src\lra\abv_dg\lservagent.ccp (4511)" Users are not expierencing any problems sending or recieving e-mail. I would like to remove the error. Can anyone Help ...

Exchange error 5.6.1, recipient changed address
Hello, We are trying to resolve an ongoing issue with a mailbox on our Exchange 2003 server (in a Windows 2003 domain). When sending a message to this mailbox via a global distribution list or global security group (user is a member of the list/group), the sender gets the returned message with error # 5.6.1: "The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Lastname, Firstname on 5/9/2005 8:00 AM The message was undeliverable because the recipient specified has changed address permanently and forwarding was not applicable <ourserver.ourdomain.com #5.1.6>" I have substituted...

Exchange 2000 -> 2003 GAL
Hi All, I just finished moving all of our mailboxes from an Exchange 2000 server to an Exchange 2003 server. Now on some clients the Global Address List will appear, and disappear. For instance, in Outlook, you can open it up one time, and receive a Global Address List, then the next time you open up Outlook, and try to send a new email, it is gone. Any ideas? Thanks, Pair ...

Migrate SBS 2003 to Standard 2008 (no Exchange)
I want to migrate an SBS 2003 Server to a new server running 2008 Standard. Exchange is moving to the cloud so no Exchange to migrate and no SQL. Basically just want to move AD to the 2008 Server to avoid having to deal with rejoining PCs to a new domain. What is the process for doing this? Does SBS 2003 allow me to simply join the 2008 server to the domain as a second DC, then migrate roles to 2008, and then demote the SBS server so it cleanly is removed from the domain? Or does SBS not play nice and allow this simple migration? Since the SBS server must hold all FSMO...

migrate data from v4 to v4
hey all I've installed a clean copy of CRM v4 on a new box(new ad, exchange, sql...etc), I need to move data from a different installation to this new machine. What's the best way to go about doing this? Use the Deployment Manager to Import the CRM 3.0 installation. "devnull" wrote: > hey all > > I've installed a clean copy of CRM v4 on a new box(new ad, exchange, > sql...etc), I need to move data from a different installation to this new > machine. > > What's the best way to go about doing this? Sorry, I meant to import the CRM 4 inst...

Migrating Access apps to Microsoft.NET...
Hello! Hopefully I got the right discussion group here...! In using the SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access instructions, I have completed the split Access 2003 database migration to the SQL Server 2005. Under the 'Preparing Access Databases for Migration' part of these instructions, it says "After you migrate databases to SQL Server 2005, you can continue to use Access by using linked tables (understand this), or you can manually migrate your applications to Microsoft.NET Framework-based code that interacts directly with SQL Server". Not sure I'm understa...

exchange 2003 #53
When using Outlook 2003 and creating a new email message, I have a default of users listed in the Global Catalog. Is there a way that I can add different groups and change the individual users default group? Thanks for any help that you can provide. A Yes, you can create additional Distribution Lists, http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/User-Groups-Distribution-List-Contact-Management.html -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2007 Microsoft Certified Partner "Auddog" <will_k@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:AY%ch.6743$U81.375@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com... ...

Auto response in Exchange 2003?
Here's the request. We are posting for two new jobs here at the company. The boss ask me to set up two generic email alias's and have it assigned to the Director who is responsible for filling the positions. So as it stands any emails sent to job1@company.com and job2@company.com goes to the Directors Outlook mailbox where I have set up a rule to have them delivered to folders we created for the emails. This works just fine. Now she wants to be able to send out an "auto response". i.e "Thank you for applying for the position of Superman. We have received your resu...

Query for Parent containing only ONE type of child
I am trying to find all offices that contain just ONE type of member. Each office can contain many types of members but I want to find those that have just one type. I need to be able to assign (within the code) the type I'm looking for too. Thx, Warren ORGANIZATION OrgID (pk) OrgName MEMBERS MemID (pk) MemberName OrgID (fk) How do you identify the type of member? -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Warren" <Warren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADE55ECC-F037-4F07-8DE3-C8A007D257F0@microsof...

NT4 and exchange 5.5 running on AD Native mode ?
we want to switch to native mode on AD is there a problem if you have still some exchange 5.5 running on NT4 and other servers on exchange 2003 running on windows 2003. then switching to native Active directory? thanks is nayone doing it? ...

Exchange Server Migration from 2000 to 2003 and from old to new hardware
Hi I've been searching around the Internet for a document, book or some type of reference that shows the steps in migrating exchange server 2000 to 2003 and if needed exchange server transfer to new hardware. Does anyone know of a good book or tech doc that descibes this detail. The topics in question are "When to run pfmigrate, When to run exdeploy etc. Even a step by step process would do the trick. Thanks -T http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Exchange2000-Exchange-2003-Hardware.html That is a good one. "Nino_1" wrote: > Hi > > I've been se...

mailbox migration #3
Hi! I have the following question: I have one domain (WinNT4.0 with exch 5.5) and another (separate) domain (win2K domain with exchange 2003). I want to migrate the mailboxes from the old domain to the new one. The problem is, the new domain has already been populated with user accounts and is already in production. I know that exmerge clones the "old" user accounts into the new domain and so the mailboxes get copied too. If so, I will get duplicate accounts in the new domain, and since most of them are identical, that is not an option. Is there any other way to do this? Thanx...