How to handle false positives when using anti-spam, anti-junk e-mail solutions

I have purchased GFI MailEssentiasl10 and so far that seems to be working
fine.

I think false positives will happen especially in the begnning of our
implementation, and I would like to confirm what's the best way to handle
that. What I am doing here is that I asked management to designate an
assistant that should read on the e-mails caught by the junk filter and
notify recipient in case she suspects that is a false positive. Any other
ideas ?

0
marlon_brown (142)

Someone is going to have to look. Most businesses can't afford false
positives. That's one of the bigest reasons we went for iHateSpam from
Sunbelt. that spam management is handled by the users.

"Marlon Brown" wrote:

> I have purchased GFI MailEssentiasl10 and so far that seems to be working
> fine.
>
> I think false positives will happen especially in the begnning of our
> implementation, and I would like to confirm what's the best way to handle
> that. What I am doing here is that I asked management to designate an
> assistant that should read on the e-mails caught by the junk filter and
> notify recipient in case she suspects that is a false positive. Any other
> ideas ?

0
JoshMuehe (33)
9/16/2004 6:19:05 PM
I don't have GFI delete the item, I've been letting the mail go through to
the user to a SPAM folder, or to add [SPAM] to the subject line so they can
do some of the filtering "for me".

If they get a false positive, I've istructed them to forward it to me and I
whitelist the sender.

I also have their anti-virus software, which I have set to delete, and
reduces most of the quarantining I have to manage.

--
John Dotson
praetorian7x-news@yahoo.com
"Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have purchased GFI MailEssentiasl10 and so far that seems to be working
> fine.
>
> I think false positives will happen especially in the begnning of our
> implementation, and I would like to confirm what's the best way to handle
> that. What I am doing here is that I asked management to designate an
> assistant that should read on the e-mails caught by the junk filter and
> notify recipient in case she suspects that is a false positive. Any other
> ideas ?

You guys rule. By tagging the potential spam mail with  [SPAM] should be a
nice way. From there do you instruct users how to set filters on Outlook
client, or you set the a type of SPAM-Folder-Filter from the Exchange server
side ?

"John D" <praetorian7x-news@yahoo.com> w
rote in message news:S76dnb3uzN4hZdTcRVn-tg@giganews.com...
> I don't have GFI delete the item, I've been letting the mail go through to
> the user to a SPAM folder, or to add [SPAM] to the subject line so they
can
> do some of the filtering "for me".
>
> If they get a false positive, I've istructed them to forward it to me and
> whitelist the sender.
>
> I also have their anti-virus software, which I have set to delete, and
> reduces most of the quarantining I have to manage.
>
> --
> John Dotson
> praetorian7x-news@yahoo.com
> "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have purchased GFI MailEssentiasl10 and so far that seems to be
working
> > fine.
> >
> > I think false positives will happen especially in the begnning of our
> > implementation, and I would like to confirm what's the best way to
handle
> > that. What I am doing here is that I asked management to designate an
> > assistant that should read on the e-mails caught by the junk filter and
> > notify recipient in case she suspects that is a false positive. Any
other
> > ideas ?

0
marlon_brown (142)
9/16/2004 10:36:47 PM
Tagging emails is a good way to avoid false positives. However, a better
way is to use a program that sends a report to the end user every day
that tells them which emails are quarantined. This way if a false
positive occurs they only check one message not 100. Use Spam
Marshall(http://www.spammarshall.com), which can change the subject line
as send daily email summary to all users.

Marlon Brown wrote:

> You guys rule. By tagging the potential spam mail with  [SPAM] should be a
> nice way. From there do you instruct users how to set filters on Outlook
> client, or you set the a type of SPAM-Folder-Filter from the Exchange server
> side ?
>

> "John D" <praetorian7x-news@yahoo.com> w
> rote in message news:S76dnb3uzN4hZdTcRVn-tg@giganews.com...
>
>>I don't have GFI delete the item, I've been letting the mail go through to
>>the user to a SPAM folder, or to add [SPAM] to the subject line so they
>
> can
>
>>do some of the filtering "for me".
>>
>>If they get a false positive, I've istructed them to forward it to me and

>>whitelist the sender.
>>
>>I also have their anti-virus software, which I have set to delete, and
>>reduces most of the quarantining I have to manage.
>>
>>--
>>John Dotson
>>praetorian7x-news@yahoo.com
>>"Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have purchased GFI MailEssentiasl10 and so far that seems to be
>
> working
>
>>>fine.
>>>
>>>I think false positives will happen especially in the begnning of our
>>>implementation, and I would like to confirm what's the best way to
>
> handle
>
>>>that. What I am doing here is that I asked management to designate an
>>>assistant that should read on the e-mails caught by the junk filter and
>>>notify recipient in case she suspects that is a false positive. Any
>
> other
>
>>>ideas ?

0
tsmith1 (6)

Unable to delete "sent" mail from folder
I am running Outlook 2000. Currently my Sent mail folder is approx. 58 meg. I am unable to delete or archive "sent" messages from as far back as October 2001. I get the message "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error". This only happens in this folder. I suspect it may relate to relocating my .pst files from the server to my local folder "c:/docs&settings/myusername/local settings/application data/microsoft/outlook". Or it could relate to migrating from Outlook 98 to Outlook 2000 (which occured before I moved the .pst file). Any thoughts?...

Mailing Groups of persons in CRM
I would like to make account's member of groups, or make contact's members of groups. In that case I can would like to send e-mails to groups instead of mailing to account's or contact's. How can I Arrange that? Peter, CRM does not have a "contact group" feature as you will find in ACT! or other SFA products. But, you can simulate this functionality with a custom field. (The only drawback is that each salesperson can't create their own.) But this works fairly well: Create a picklist, let's call it "Group". Add the values you want. (Of cour...

stop SR-1 messages
does anyone have a way to stop SR-1 messages - program trying to access e-mail when another program gets address from outlook to send mail. On 2000 server using Outlook 2000 SR-1. Does upgrade to SP3 give more customizing to block these popups? Not really. See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm#autosec -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:01f301c3d556$f42d7770$a401280a@phx.gbl, Gary Louis...

Junk Mail Filter Will Not Update
Automatic updates have never worked for me and none of the issues cited are relevant. Downloaded SP1 update and installed manually (message indicated successfully). Site indicated I should update the Junk Mail Filter for Outlook as well. Downloaded the update file for manual installation but when executed I receive the following message "The Expected Version of The Product Was Not Found On Your System". What now? What is your version of Outlok when you choose Help-> About? Did you use this update? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d8ded71e-89ed-4473-...

Exporting Outlook mail to another machine to synch email
Outlook 2003 Assume ComputerOne and ComputerTwo use the identical mail server. I want to synch the email on both machines. Say I delete all the email on ComputerTwo. I export Outlook mail from ComputerOne and import it into Computer2. After the import, ComputerTwo email should be in synch with ComputerOne. However, when ComputerTwo goes to the mail server, it downloads duplicates of what is already there. Outlook does not seem to recognize that it already has a given email from the mail server. Is there a way to prevent duplicates from being downloaded? Thanks Don't use export ...

Use Of ":" In Query As Part Of Header
I have a query with a field name of "Street", however, I would like it to read "CAT:STREET". This query is exported to a csv file the requires the format of the later. Currently the csv file is modified manually afer the fact. In the query I have been unable to create an expression that does not choke on the ":". Any suggestion as to how allow this in the query, or maybe allow this in the export. Thanks in advance Hi Clint, You won't get that fixed. Can't you use as header CAT_STREET: Cloggy "Clint" wrote: > I have a query with a ...

When using the Publisher Web Site Wizard I get an error that Publi
Can somebody help me please? When using the Publisher Web Site Wizard I get an error that Publisher cannot complete the action. I have run a Repair and Reinstallation and the Web Wizard still doesn't work. Has anyone seen this problem before. Sincerely, VanNimRodDius X ...

help setting up windows mail
Hello! I am trying to set up my windows mail using an @live.com e-mail address, yet I cannot find the POP and/or STMP information for @live addresses anywhere. What do I enter in these two fields? Thank you in advance! To follow up with more information about my problem, I found the site: http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!49799.entry?sa=115122547 I thought I would be all set to go. I used the POP3 name of: pop3.live.com (Port 995) When I leave the (Port 995) on it, it says it is an invalid POP account. When I do it without the (Port 995), ...

outbound e-mail goes to outbox first
We have just had one of our computers serviced to 'close' a door that was open and loading us up with viruses. After bringing the cpu back and reconnecting, we went to e-mail and everything I send out goes to the outbox first and then I have to 'send/receive' from the outbox which is time consuming and annoying. Is there anyone out there that can give a 'not highly computer literate' person a helping hand? What version of Outlook? -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -...

Can't send or receive e-mails from "client" network computers
I have a small peer-to-peer network of three computers, and use MS Outlook 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627) as my e-mail program. All computers are XP (SP2). I've recently had to reinstall my setup following a system glitch on the host machine. Everything is fine, except for one thing. I can neither send nor receive e-mails from the two client machines. I can access the central address books, Personal Folders etc. without any problem; just can't actually send or receive via the client computers. If I try to send or receive from the clients, after a few moments searching I get "The POP3 /...

E-Newsletter #2
I am trying to send an e-newsletter embedded into the message. When I preview the publication in the browser it looks perfect although when I try to send the document it appears in the same format as when I am working on it- i.e not in HTML. Help! -- zoew ...

E-mail Psuedo-names
I have a large mailing list of 200 people. I need to send this list to another E-mail account of mine without addressing the 200 members. If I cut and paste the names into WORD or any other application, the actual E-mail addresses do not open up. I can expand the names to reveal the actual @.com address, but I can not capture this to get it into another E-mail account. Anyone know a trick? Thanks -- JackVa1 On Thu, 21 May 2009, JackVa1 wrote: > I have a large mailing list of 200 people. I need to send this list to > another E-mail account of mine without addressing the 200 memb...

Format pasting using keyboard shortcuts
Hi, I am working on a Spreadsheet project where I have to use the keyboard to Copy & Paste a Format from one cell to another. Does anyone know how this can be done. In Word to Copy & Paste a Format it is CTRL Shift C, CTRL Shift V which does not appear to be the case in Excel. Regards, Lynda Hi Griff not as easy as Word but Control & C to copy Alt & E then S then T and enter to paste format (personally, i would use the format painter icon on the standard toolbar) -- Cheers JulieD check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm ....well i'm working on it anyway &quo...

Can't send outgoing mails from exchange 2000
I just change from an ISP mail server to serve mail froma my own organization. I can send and receive email inside my domain and I can receive from any other domain. The problem is I can't sent to any one outside my domain. In the SMTP queue you can see the message stuck with the message: "Unable to bind to the destination server in DNS". I have a Domain Controller that is a DNS server, an Exchange Server that is a Domain Controller and DNS server and an ISA Server 2000. Can somebody help me? Thanks, Manuel Marte Manuel Marte <ManuelMarte@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Windows Live Mail Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3002.0810) 08-21-10
Windows Live Mail Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3002.0810) Hi, is it known that in this build that regadless the language chosen, the spelling feature does not work. Here is greyed out and not clickable. Any idea or solution? Regards Carlo -- Intel E8400 C2D 3.0 GForce 8600 GTS 512 4GB DDR2 6400 PC 800 Samsung Spin Point F1 320GB Windows 7 Premium 64-bit Are you checking spelling as you type? Is spelling greyed out in a composition window? -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "bimbobo" wrote in message news:4881E07C-28E3-4282-A605-73500A506B41@microsoft.com...

what are the 5 scenarious Microsoft corporation placed in MSDN In what areas polymorphism concept is used
Hai, what are the 5 scenarious Microsoft corporation placed in MSDN In what areas polymorphism concept is used ( In Real Time what are the situations Polymorphism concept used). Thank you, Bye What exactly do you mean? What scenarios? Where in MSDN? Why here? Is this a school exam? ------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com Polymorphism is at the heart of C++ so anytime OOP is used it's almost always a factor. Tom "jagadeesh" <jagadeeshbabu.mca@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142596513.757918.162640@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > Hai, > > > what ...

Backing up my mail
Greetings, How can I backup my mail to another location - hard disk, memory stick CD or other ? I was able with XP (have now 7) to save each mail received and save on an external disk and still read it from there ! Can Window live do the same thing and how can i fdo it ? A hard disk crash is always possible, and I will loose everything ! Thanks How to Backup Windows Live Mail Accounts, Contacts and Messages http://liveunplugged.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F92775FC46A390CA!174.entry?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=485040387 To read messages on a CD, flash, etc, you can create folders o...

Select stmt using Like
I have 2 tables in an db. Contacts is one with field LastName. The other is Issues. The issues db has a free text field that stores lastname/lastname... the field is called Owner. The objective is for multiple owners in an issue, but not necessarily from the Contacts table. I am trying to write a select statement that will allow me to compare the Contacts.LastName with any Issues.Owner. Select * From Issues Where Issues.Owner LIKE *[Contacts.lastname]* (except I cannot use this format) Any ideas would be appreciated. -- dan You can use a non-equi-join query (though it&#...

E-Mail Router Setup 12-10-03
I am trying to install the CRM-Exchange E-Mail Router setup on my exchange server after I installed the CRM server successfully and I am recieving the error message "One or more of the Microsoft CRM Servers you listed is invalid". I tried my CRM NetBIOS name FQDN and nothing works. What is the fix for this. Thanks in Advance Len Try using an up address "Len" <lcampbell@pennsys.com> wrote in message news:1144301c3bf5c$d0dd8220$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to install the CRM-Exchange E-Mail Router > setup on my exchange server after I installed the CR...

E-mail router, coexist with CRM 1.2 router?
Hi. I have a customer, that already have CRM 1.2 installed. We will install CRM 3.0 in the same AD, but in another OU. The e-mail router for CR 1.2 is installed on the front end exchange server. Can I install the e-mail router for CRM 3.0 on the same exchange server? NIls-Petter ...

can i send e-mail so that when it's opened it displays a web page
I'm trying to do some e-marketing. Can i use Outlook to send an e-mail so that when the recepient opens the mail it displays a web page? Have you tried simply using an HTML mail item? I'm sure these people have opted-in to receive ads from you, correct? "RJCottrell" <RJCottrell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9B2DB57-7A35-49C8-8C42-38237A4A8A14@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to do some e-marketing. Can i use Outlook to send an e-mail so > that when the recepient opens the mail it displays a web page? RJCottrell <RJCottrell@discussi...

Using a 'Name' to Update Chart Titles & "Y" Axis Scale
My worksheet has 14 charts that each reference the same company name (Title) and "Y" axis scaling. Can I reference a 'Name' in: Chart Options-> Titles... and on scale-> left click-> format axis-> scale... The 'Name' for each variable would be a cell reference ie., G37 How do I update all 14 chart at once? Hi, You can link chart title to a cell, although you will need to do each chart individually. http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm as for the scale parameters that requires VBA code. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Char...

Existing E-mails Disappeared
When I opened Outlook all of my e-mails were completely gone from one of my inboxes. I have 5 total inboxes, but only one of the boxes was completely cleared out. Very important e-mails in there, all are gone. Nothing in Archives or Deleted, not quite sure where they went. Any help would be appreciated. ...

Use Outlook 2000 to retrieve Hotmail email?
Can someone tell me how to Use Outlook 2000 to retrieve Hotmail email? It keeps asking for a POP3 account info, when hotmail uses HTTP instead, very frustating. Thanks I don't think you can do this - you need to use either Outlook Express or Outlook XP (2002). --Dean. "John Luton" <JL112055@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:39e901c355aa$b1e17550$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Can someone tell me how to Use Outlook 2000 to retrieve > Hotmail email? It keeps asking for a POP3 account info, > when hotmail uses HTTP instead, very frustating. Thanks ...

Mail Merge 07-08-07
In Word I select the Table that has two fields. The ID number and a list of names. When I merge it into a letter the ID number comes up instead of the name that I want. How to I get it to recognize the right field? I've tried to make the name the primary key but it still does not show up in the preview the letter as anything but a number Help. This should be a piece of cake. R Just a guess, but I'm suspecting that the table may have a lookup field defined. Lookups defined at the table or query level art thy creation of the evil one. For more information on this topic, please see...