How to create e-mail addresses based on group membership in E2K3 running on W2K3

Hello,
    I need to create different email address for different users in my
Exchange 2003 server running on Windows Server 2003. I would like to be able
to do this by using AD group membership and Exchange recipient policies
rules.

    I have browsed MS support.microsoft.com web site and found KB 317298 (
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317298 )and also looked at
www.msexchange.org . Both articles seem very straight forward. When I get to
modifying the rule in "Recipient Policies" this is where I get lost. I have
used adsiedit.msc to lookup my group which is called "Dogfood Employees" but
can not find the "Path". I can see the "DistinguishedName" which looks like
what I need. When I copy and past the distinguished name into the search
field and click find, no users are returned.

    If you any suggestions on how to do this in Exchange 2003 running on
Windows Server 2003 muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Jonesy

0
jonesy_d (1)

- Creating Recipient Policies based on memberOf attribute of recipients
isn't recommended...
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304516
- If you still need to create it based on group membership, copy the
distinguishedName, in filter go to Advanced - Field dropdown - memberOf.
Condition = Is(exactly). Paste the distinguishedName in the Value field.
Click Find Now to test.

**Workaround**
If these are separate SMTP domains, one workaround would be to create new
UPN suffixes for each domain (for instance, your AD and main/first SMTP
domain = DomainA.com, additional SMTP domain(s) = DomainB.com, DomainC.com.
Create UPN suffixes for DomainB.com and DomainC.com).
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=243629

When creating users for those domains, change the user's UPN suffix (this is
the drop-down under "User logon name:" and it defaults to your AD domain
name)  to their SMTP domain - so user2 gets user2@DomainB.com,
user3@DomainC.com )

Now create the Recipient Policy filter based on userPrincipalName: (&(your
original filter)(userPrincipalName=*@DomainB.com)) - ditto for othe SMTP
domains.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"David Jones" <jonesy_d@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>    I need to create different email address for different users in my
> Exchange 2003 server running on Windows Server 2003. I would like to be
> able
> to do this by using AD group membership and Exchange recipient policies
> rules.
>
>    I have browsed MS support.microsoft.com web site and found KB 317298 (
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317298 )and also looked at
> www.msexchange.org . Both articles seem very straight forward. When I get
> modifying the rule in "Recipient Policies" this is where I get lost. I
> have
> used adsiedit.msc to lookup my group which is called "Dogfood Employees"
> but
> can not find the "Path". I can see the "DistinguishedName" which looks
> like
> what I need. When I copy and past the distinguished name into the search
> field and click find, no users are returned.
>
>    If you any suggestions on how to do this in Exchange 2003 running on
> Windows Server 2003 muchly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jonesy

0
bharat3597 (1006)

Junk Mail Clean-up
I use Symantec Premium Anti-Spam package alongside Exchange 2003. The end result of Symantec's product is to dump spam into the Junk E-Mail" folder. I would like to be able to run an autoamted proceudres that would kill any messages in the Junk E-Mail folder older than, say, 7 days old. And, here's the catch, I want to do this on the server side for all mailboxes housed on that Exchange server. I think that a recipient policy may be one avenue, but do not see "Junk E-Mail" as one of the folders under 'setting'. While I can manually add it, I do not k...

How Safe Are Exchange Raw Mail Files?
Hi There, My company has mandated that our office move over to Exchange 2003. Of all my research, I really only have one small question. That is, how safe and protected are the raw mail files that Exchange stores on the server? In other words, outside of using the user's password, can these files be copied and read later or are they encrypted or protected in some manner? Thanks, -Jay I am pretty certain that the mailbox store, essentially the pair of a Jet database something called a "streaming" file, are not encrypted. You should protect them as you would any se...

Difference in "Unread Mail" search folders?
Outlook 2007 - I have two Unread Mail folders, one in Favorites and one under Search Folders. My default Email account is IMAP. If I click on "Customize" on the Unread Mail folder in Favorites, the only place that it will search is Personal Folders. If I do the same in the one under Search Folders, the only place it will search is the IMAP account. Why is this, and is there any way to make an Unread Mail folder that will search both Personal Folders AND the IMAP account? Thanks No. A Search Folder will only search against one PST at a time. -- Bill R MVP "Gordon&qu...

Creating Appointments 05-06-06
Hi I seem to be missing something obvious... I open a lead/contact/company/opportunity and add an appointment activity using the form assistant. Yet it doesn't show up in the calendar, nor in the Outlook Client (online)...is that right? I hope not! -- CRM Power User Appts won't synch to Outlook unless you are running the CRM for Outlook client. Even then, this synch is done periodically, so it may take awhile before it updates. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "al" <al@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26E06127-1D48-4DA6-8D34-B89F39016F5...

Charting cells that have been grouped
When charting a large range of cells, which have been grouped in sets of 12 for convenience and easy review, the chart using this data is blank. If I ungroup the cells, the chart shows the data. Is there a way around this? Why can't a chart show the data even if the data is hidden? I don't know what you mean by "grouped" cells. Are you hiding cells? By default Excel doesn't display hidden data on a chart. To change this behavior: Select the chart, go to Tools menu > Options > Chart, and uncheck Plot Visible Cells Only. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft...

question about moving mailboxes from 2000 exch to 2003 exchange and mail store size
we are finishing up moving all of our mailboxes from our old exchange 2000 server to our new exchange 2003 server. I was researching the registry change you have to make to enable up to a 75 gig mail store with exchange 2003 sp2. When I look at the registry for our exchange 2003 server I only see the key for the PUBLIC store. The PRIVATE does not appear. is this because we have not moved all of our mailboxes and so have not removed the exchange 2000 server yet? I wasnt going to make the registry change yet, just researching so I can do this when we finished moving the rest of the mai...

Run in XP 64-bit?
Hello Microsoft techs, How do I install and run Live Messenger on Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit edition? Older version wouldn't work because they keep asking me to update to the new version (which does not install) before I can use messenger. Please don't just tell me it is not supported. I paid so much for the Windows XP and just want to get live messenger running. Thanks! Greetings Shing, Sorry to say... it's not supported, by Microsoft anyway. But you can install it anyway and it'll work. Just download and run the Microsoft Installer files directly to ins...

How do I lock a group of cells in Excel?
I'm trying to lock down a group of cells so they won't be able to move. How do I do this? - Tools / Protection / Protect Sheet - Remember to unlock the cells that you want to be able to put input into. - Format / Cells / Protection - uncheck the 'Locked' checkbox HTH, Gary Brown "Ben Nesbitt" wrote: > I'm trying to lock down a group of cells so they won't be able to move. How > do I do this? ...

Where to ask- running Excel from .NET?
Hi all, I have been over at the MSDN forums and someone pointed me here. I am trying to create an instance of Excel from within .NET so I can populate it with some data and save it. All works fine. However, after I tell excel to quit (which it appears to do), if I go into task manager, I can see it is still running. And if I do the process again, I get 2 copies of Excel in task manager. This is with Excel 2007 and Win XP. I have tried a bunch of things, none of which have worked. One possibility is that I work in at a defense contractor and it might be that they ha...

Contact address fields Outlook 2002
I've converted my Outlook 2000 contacts to Outlook 2002, the address information seems not to be right. The City-info is in the ZIP-field, the state info in the city-field and the zipcode in the state-field. In the 'All fields'-tab the information is in the right fields. I've migrated from Outlook 2000 SP3 English to Outlook 2002 Dutch. It seems some programmer/translator mixed up the addressfields in the contactinformation-window. I need this information for my program. Is this solved in a servicepack/upgrade, or is any workaround available? It seems to be a common probl...

run report that uses a set of dates #2
Once again I am baffled! I need to keep track of projects that get checked out to be updated. Each sheet is a different project. In column B I have when the project was checked out. IN column C I have the date the project was checked back in. The formulas I am currently using are: Column D: =TRIM(IF(B9<>"","out","")&" "&IF(C9<>"","in","")) which gives :"out" if not checked in and "Out IN" if it is. Column E: =IF(B9>C9,"OUT","In") This tells me if the project...

sending mails from 2 accounts
I have outlook 2003 and I use two different email accounts on it. I want to set up the system so that I HAVE to chose which account the mail is going from everytime I send an email. Presently I have a default address and I risk forgetting and sending emails with the wrong account. Can anyone help me set up Outlook to avoid this problem? As far as I know, there is no way to do what you're asking. Outlook 2003 will always try to send via the default account for new messages, and via the receiving account for replies and forwards. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages s...

OL2003 Add To Personal Address Book
In OL 2000 I was able to right click the email address on an incoming message and add the address to my Personal Address Book. Has this feature been taken away in OL 2003? I see add to contacts, but I don't want them as a contact. Thanks, Tom Tom R <me@you.com> wrote: > In OL 2000 I was able to right click the email address on an incoming > message and add the address to my Personal Address Book. Has this > feature been taken away in OL 2003? I see add to contacts, but I > don't want them as a contact. Outlook 2003 doesn't use the PAB. It was obsolete e...

How to forward message with SMTP addresses
We have exchange server2000 and outlook 2002. When we forward a message the original message is reported on bottom but e-mail address in the original message are lost: only the display name is displayed with no info about the real e-mail address. For example: -----Original Message----- From: Anto Smith Sent: 21 October 2003 12:16 To: John Stepp Subject: FW: Receipt for Fonts.com Order Instead of : -----Original Message----- From: Anto Smith a.smith@abcd.com Sent: 21 October 2003 12:16 To: John Stepp j.stepp@abcd.com Subject: FW: Receipt for Fonts.com Order Any idea on how to fix it? Than...

Creating Multiple-Series Charts with as few steps as possible
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I routinely create charts with more than one series (e.g. several columns of data with x-axis labels in the first column and series names in the first row). <br><br>I can't get Excel to automatically recognize my first column of data as the x-axis and the first row of data as either the legend labels or y-axis (in 3D charts like a surface chart). The way I think it should work is: <br><br>1. I select the rectangle of data including x-axis labels in the first column and series names fo...

Error Creating User
I have tried adding a domain user to crm using the front end but crm reports it cant find the domain account. I therefore tried using the backend (Deployment Manager - User Manager Wizard) to create the account - bearing in mind the wizard loads up the user accounts from active directory and you have to select a valid account - run thru the process only to be told at the end (80041d2a) - SOAP Server Application Faulted Which apparently means it cant find the domain account!! Any help appreciated. I've run the evironment diags with no faults found. "Dyawlak" <dyawla...

Create invoice with daily interest spread sheet
I would like to creat a invoicing/billing spreadsheet in which the balance increases or decreases with every entry and adds on a daily interest rate to all outstanding balances. I would like to add charges as they occur and subtract charges as they are paid and continue to calculate a total balance with the daily interest rate. I guess it would be similar to a cresit card account. Any advice is greatly appreciated -- vpowers 'Thought I was a Pro?" Hi vpowers! A bit sketchy on the information! The main difficulty is getting the right rate. Assuming the rate basis you are using i...

How to create a tooltip window which remains there until i explicitly hide it.
Hi, I want to create a tooltip window which wont hide until I explicitly closes it. I tried to increase the delay time by sending TTM_SETDELAYTIME message, but it accepts only up to max of short. I then tried by including the TTF_TRACK flag in the uFlags member of the TOOLINFO structure when sending the TTM_ADDTOOL message and updating the location by sending TTM_TRACKPOSITION. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb760252(VS.85).aspx But now I loses the default behavior of tooltip window. ie, window pops up suddenly when i move mouse to the control. So my question is how can i develo...

mail merge #8
using outlook sbs, try to mail merge and get "to use this feature, you must install the microsoft word that matches the installed version of Microsoft Office Outlook" I have word 2003 installed??? What is your Office version? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, dmoore asked: | using outlook sbs, try to mail merge and get | "to use this fe...

public store has wrong address
I was having some trouble getting my existing e2k server to replicate its public folders to a new e2k server. I ran through the microsoft white paper on how to troubleshoot public folder replication and discovered that my existing server's public store e-mail address is wrong. Existing e2k server's public store address is EMAIL-PubIS@intereco.org New e2k server's public store address is EXCH-IS@intertrust.org I conclude that EXCH's address is correct and EMAIL's should be EMAIL-IS@intertrust.org I have checked the two articles that the folder replication trouble...

How do I put a smile in my e-mails?
laws <laws@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: <nothing> No need to ask more than once. You were answered in your original thread 30 minutes before you asked again. -- Brian Tillman ...

Address Lists Security Pane
Is there a tool that can change the security settings for an address list? (eks: an global adress list) You can off course do it manually > right click the address list > Properties > security pane. My understanding is that if you can do it manually you also can automate\script it somehow. This is going to be used in a hosting environment where each company has its own address list. I do not want to change the security setting on every address list manually. Regards K You'll probably want a tool that not only modifies the address lists but also creates it initially. This ...

Can not open mail folders
Hi I had a win xp crash, possibly due to power failure. I have repaired xp from the original disk. Now when I try to go into Outlook 2003 I get the below error and then it closes. What is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks Regards = Error Message ======= This error can occur if you attempt to run Outlook from a Terminal Server session when the OST file is in use by the console session. To access this instance of Outlook, exit the current Terminal Server session and start a new session by using the following Run command (click Start, then click Run): mstsc.exe /CONSOLE You mus...

mail delivery problems #2
Hi, Our email system has been working fine for about 12 months but now for what seems like no apparent reason we are having problems. The setup is exchange 2003. The problem is that mail has stopped flowing from certain BE servers to a FE\bridgehead server. Some BE servers are in different routing groups and one BE server is inside the same routing group as the FE server. There is nothing sitting between the servers other than routers. Mail sent to the Internet from a BE server in the same RG as the FE server stays in the Internet SMTP queue on the BE server. Until recently, these em...

Outlook 2002 not recieving new Exchange mail until I click on program.
Hello! Outlook 2002 v10.6515.6626 SP 3 on Windows XP Pro SP1. I can sit with no programs running except for Outlook and watch the screen do nothing. If I click somplace on Outlook, such as a folder or any message EXCEPT the one in the preview pane, Outlook will suddently recieve all the email that I have been sent since the last time I clicked on the program. This could be five minutes or 30 minutes... I do not recieve any mail until I actually click on Outlook. I'm connecting to an Exchange server on our LAN and I'm always connected. Can someone suggest why this may be happening? I...