How long should it take an Information Store to start with no edb.chk

We've been having problems with our 5.5 server (20 hours in now)
Having performed a restore of an offline backup we started the
Information Store with no edb.chk.
I believe this will go through all the edb.log files and replay what
it needs to.  I have 26 log files  (so 130Mb) and the priv.edb is
around 31Gb in size.  The information store has been starting up now
for over 5 hours.  There seems to be activity the service control
"clock" is spinning.  No errors in the Event logs whilst this happens.
I read in article KB 200941 How the Restore in Progress Registry Key
works that if the checkpoint file (edb.chk) is missing the server can
determine which transactions have been applied but that startup will
merely take more time.
But how much more time?

Each log will take from 1 to 5 minutes to replay, and for each replayed
log you will get an appropriate event in App Event log. Do you get
those? What is the CPU usage? Do you see disk activity?

--
Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain.
http://spf.pobox.com

0
kpalagin5422 (293)
6/12/2004 5:18:06 AM
Thanks for the response.
On this occasion we were not getting a 109 event in the event log.

When we had done this earlier when we had a edb.chk file present we
were getting 109 event messages every few minutes for each log file.
After all these had played in we got the following messages.
Event ID:	1081   Unable to recover the database because error
0xc8000212 occurred after a restore operation.

Event ID:	5000   Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange
Information Store service. Error 0xc8000212.

System Event ID:	7024   The Microsoft Exchange Information Store
service terminated with service-specific error 3355443730.

We have since performed another restore of the Information store from
an online backup.  (the restore is offline however as we did not start
the information store before restoring).  Before the restore we
cleared out the mdbdta folder and have attempted to start the
Information service, having checked we have no edb.chk file.  We are
seeing the same behavior - service control "clock" going round.  no
error messages.  We have disk activity,

CPU is less than 10%.  Have looked at the processes.  Store.exe is
running but it's CPU is 0% and CPU time is 00:00.

"Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@pleaseno.mail.phxint.ru> wrote in message news:<OKkH4yDUEHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> Each log will take from 1 to 5 minutes to replay, and for each replayed
> log you will get an appropriate event in App Event log. Do you get
> those? What is the CPU usage? Do you see disk activity?
>
> Ian Edwards wrote:
>
> > We've been having problems with our 5.5 server (20 hours in now)
> > Having performed a restore of an offline backup we started the
> > Information Store with no edb.chk.
> > I believe this will go through all the edb.log files and replay what
> > it needs to.  I have 26 log files  (so 130Mb) and the priv.edb is
> > around 31Gb in size.  The information store has been starting up now
> > for over 5 hours.  There seems to be activity the service control
> > "clock" is spinning.  No errors in the Event logs whilst this happens.
> > I read in article KB 200941 How the Restore in Progress Registry Key
> > works that if the checkpoint file (edb.chk) is missing the server can
> > determine which transactions have been applied but that startup will
> > merely take more time.
> > But how much more time?
"one of the most common error codes that may be displayed after you
restore an online backup is 3355443730 (decimal) or 0xc8000212
(hexadecimal). During an ordinary startup of the database, this same
error is reported as 4294966766 or 0xfffffdee. All of these error
numbers correspond to -530 (JET_errBadLogSignature)."
Which hints to damaged log file. Use
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823167
to diagnose each log file (including edb.log).
Then follow
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812592
to properly manipulate files in MDBDATA.

If all above fails you can/should involve MS PSS.

--
Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain.
http://spf.pobox.com

0
kpalagin5422 (293)
6/12/2004 5:44:32 PM
The second doc makes sense and is relevant.  However the first do you
suggest is for Exchange 2003.  We are on 5.5

"Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@pleaseno.mail.phxint.ru> wrote in message news:<#ZcG#TKUEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> "one of the most common error codes that may be displayed after you
> restore an online backup is 3355443730 (decimal) or 0xc8000212
> (hexadecimal). During an ordinary startup of the database, this same
> error is reported as 4294966766 or 0xfffffdee. All of these error
> numbers correspond to -530 (JET_errBadLogSignature)."
> Which hints to damaged log file. Use
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823167
> to diagnose each log file (including edb.log).
> Then follow
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812592
> to properly manipulate files in MDBDATA.
>
> If all above fails you can/should involve MS PSS.
>
> Ian Edwards wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the response.
> > On this occasion we were not getting a 109 event in the event log.
> >
> > When we had done this earlier when we had a edb.chk file present we
> > were getting 109 event messages every few minutes for each log file.
> > After all these had played in we got the following messages.
> > Event ID:	1081   Unable to recover the database because error
> > 0xc8000212 occurred after a restore operation.
> >
> > Event ID:	5000   Unable to initialize the Microsoft Exchange
> > Information Store service. Error 0xc8000212.
> >
> > System Event ID:	7024   The Microsoft Exchange Information Store
> > service terminated with service-specific error 3355443730.
> >
> > We have since performed another restore of the Information store from
> > an online backup.  (the restore is offline however as we did not start
> > the information store before restoring).  Before the restore we
> > cleared out the mdbdta folder and have attempted to start the
> > Information service, having checked we have no edb.chk file.  We are
> > seeing the same behavior - service control "clock" going round.  no
> > error messages.  We have disk activity,
> >
> > CPU is less than 10%.  Have looked at the processes.  Store.exe is
> > running but it's CPU is 0% and CPU time is 00:00.
> >

> > "Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@pleaseno.mail.phxint.ru> wrote in message news:<OKkH4yDUEHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
> >
> >>Each log will take from 1 to 5 minutes to replay, and for each replayed
> >>log you will get an appropriate event in App Event log. Do you get
> >>those? What is the CPU usage? Do you see disk activity?

My bad
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253325

--
Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain.
http://spf.pobox.com

0
kpalagin5422 (293)

restore pri.edb and pub.edb
I just have online backup of exchange from backupexc. exchange agent. and a offline backup of pri.edb & pub.edb two files only. I try to restore by online backup, but fail to start all service after that. have other method to do it ? Provide some details about the failure. What errors do you get? What procedure did you follow? What version of Exchange etc etc. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. "daniel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Required information in a cell
Hi I'm not sure if this possible, but is there a way to format some cells so that they have to have information put in them. I know it's possible in Access, but when tabbing along a row I want to be able have the cursor not move out of the cell until information has been input TIA Steve One way. Modify to suit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column = 3 Then If Target.Offset(, -1) = "" Then Target.Offset(, -1).Select MsgBox "Pleae fill in" Else Target.Offset(, 1).Select End If End If End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel Sale...

Exchanging information from one sheet to another.
I have a spreadsheet with basically inventory on it. I want to make another sheet for a wholesale price list. I want the information from sheet1 to move automatically into sheet2 if a certain cell is empty in sheet1. To be more detailed, I have a list of slabs of granite, if they are not on hold for a customer i want them to be included in the wholesale price list. There is a column for last names of customers who put slabs on hold. If the cell for the customer's name is empty the slab is available to sell. Each slab has it's own row on the spreadsheet. there are about 9 columns for ea...

Aspnet_wp.exe could not be started
I have a problem with the web client of CRM 1.2 The outlook clients are running so the database connection is oke but ther e is somthing wrong with the web clients. edit the web.config in the root of the CRM (add validateRequest="false" )website did not work. verify that the ASPNET account has the correct user rights as follows: as in KB 811320 did not work Somebody seen this problem before? Reply or mail me marcemarc65@hotmail.com thanks in advance Hi, Does the event log give you any additional information (start -> run -> eventvwr)? Rob Bakkers, Avanade Netherlan...

Recovering Private information store
I had a problem with the Private information store and restored an earlier version from a hard drive backup. I did all the procedures necessary to restore and enable the information store and all my Exchange 5.5 services are started without any error. The problem however is that I am not getting any mail to my users. I run a POP3 connector and I use the viewer to check the POP3 activities. I see the the connection to the mail server and the acknowledgements that it is retrieving E-Mail messages. I cannot figure out where the messages are going on aour server and why are they not bei...

Nice Place to start with COM?
Kindly suggest nice step-by-step tutorials to start off with COM. Most preferred would be web based tutorials and then of course Mankind's best friend, books! > Kindly suggest nice step-by-step tutorials to start off with COM. > Most preferred would be web based tutorials and then of course > Mankind's best friend, books! One of the better books for COM is by Andrew Troelsen. Its for ATL and COM but a good portion of it is why is it necessary etc. More of a COM from C++ perspective. You should go with ATL if you are going the COM way(instead of MFC). There are samples at co...

How to open RecordSet with Stored Procedures (ODBC, VC++)
Hi I'm using ODBC and VC++. My stored procedure has parameters like @pstr VarChar(100), @pVal1 numeric(9), @pVal2 numeric(9) and it returns a recordset. In my code CString strSP; strSP.Format("{call MySp('%s','%d','%d')}", str1, (long)Val1, (long)Val2); CMyRecorSet rs(m_db); try { rs.Open(CRecordset::snapshot,strSP); } catch(CDBException * pDB) { } I'm getting exception. Cannot covert datatype varchar to numeric. Why is this happening? Do i need to call SQLBindParameters? If yes, how to call it. Any sample code? Thanks in advance. Remove the apos...

discrepancy in starting balance
How do I verify a starting balance from my 7/21/03 statement? Everything had balanced to that point and I need to go back to verify it before I can move on. Thanks! ...

how do I add information from many worksheets to one main workshee
Hello, Without knowing how your data structure is setup, it's fairly difficult to know what you are dealing with and provide you with a specific answer. But you can use formulas to bring in data from other sheets ... =Sheet1!A1 =Sheet2!A2 =Sheet3!A3 ... etc. HTH -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr "sillygurl" <sillygurl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71FD774A-B1B6-42B0-AA3E-D5D18416E13F@microsoft.com... > With Links, In whatever cell in the main sheet you want to start listing the dat type =, then go to the first cell in the work...

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook.
sir, my computer os is window7 Ulimate. i have intalled window outlook7. it opened two times. now when ever tried to open i recieve following message. Cantnot start Microsoft Office Outlook, Cannot open the Outlookwindow. The set of folgers cannot opened. The file C:\Users\home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook1.pst is not a personal folder file please help, any solution to this problem See if this helps: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/...

Suggestions On Storing External Data
Hello, I was wondering what the best way to store, Word, Excel, pdf,and dwg documents against a Record in my database. My Database is a Enquiry Management Database, and when projects come in they are logged, which when an enquiry is received they have associated documents with them. So what the plan is that the User who inputs projects can select the assign the associated to the record, and then when some else looks up the project that can see all related documents and also open them from my database. 1. Do i Store External Documents in the database or 2, Do I Link to the documents, I w...

Entering information exactly without updates or adjustments for in
Hello there How can you put information in Microsoft Money 2004 exactly as it appears in your statements and not have it make adjustments or update the information? Its driving me mad!! It tells me "what something should be based on the information I put in" when the information on my statements says something else. Help Me!! You are probably going to have to give some more information and maybe an example or two of what Money is doing before people will know what issue you are trying to work and how to help. "Darryl Williams" <Darryl Williams@discussions.micro...

Important Information
Check out: www.Brandon-Lands.com ...

Taking sum of a field from sub report
Hi On a sub report I have a field datetot which is the sum of two fields those two fields are in turn coming from two further sub reports of the sub report. How can I take the sum of datetot field to the main report? Thanks Regards See: Bring the total from a subreport onto a main report at: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-18.html -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:OCWbU...

CHKDSK scheduled scan on start-up -- how do I abort?
I mistakenly scheduled Chkdsk to run a scan when I restarted my primary laptop, and it is now running. It is running before Windows fully boots up, which means the computer is disabled. It appears likely to take hours to finish, and I desperately need the affected computer up and running immediately. How do I tell Chkdsk to abort, so I can continue starting up the computer? Pressing Esc does not work. Please, please help! This is a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop running Windows XP with all the latest updates. Thanks, C_Kilgore There is no way to abort a chkdsk in progres...

Start all over but retain emails, folders, contacts, etc.
Hi- I recently transfered my pst file over to a new computer (both Outlook 2003) and now I believe I have some (major?) problems with the contacts folder and locations. Even though everything seems fine on the outside and I can still send emails fine, I get numerous errors telling me my address book cannot be located and I just recently discovered all my mailing lists fail to link the members to their contact files even though they are right there. I guess my main question is, can I somehow wipe outlook clean, and then just readd all the information (contacts, appointments, tasks, notes, ema...

Can I wipe my MDBDATA files and start over?
I am getting the following error and I've already tried to fix it but can't. Also, I don't have any versions that I can restore from backup. The OS is SBS2k3 Premium and the clients (only 3) are running in Cached mode. What I want to know is if I can just wipe the files and have Exchange recreate them? Event Type: Error Event Source: ESE Event Category: Database Page Cache Event ID: 474 Date: 2/19/2004 Time: 1:15:07 AM User: N/A Computer: VISION Description: Information Store (4080) First Storage Group: The database page read from the file "C:\Program Files\Exchsr...

How To Have A Form Start With A Blank?
Access 2007 I have created a form for input and the user wants it to start at a blank form. How can I accomplish that? Your help is greatly appreciated!!! (B^>)-]=[ Put the following code in the OnLoad Event of the form DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec This will open the form in a state that is ready to enter a new record, but also allow you to search existing records. On 2/22/10 9:26 AM, WSR wrote: > Access 2007 > > I have created a form for input and the user wants it to start at a blank > form. > > How can I accomplish that? > >...

Can't start-up Microsoft Outlook
I just installed Office 2003, I was using Office XP. I uninstalled Office XP and installed Office 2003. When I go to check my mail after a reboot, it works fine. When I go to check my mail again, I can't open it up. Sometimes it will ask if I want to open Outlook in safe mode, to fix the problem. I receive a message in right-hand corner saying that "Outlook not responding. If you are using an exchange server e-mail account, you can cancel pending server requests by clicking the Outlook icon in the notifications are, and then clicking cancel server request on the shortcut menu." ...

Modify Store ID
I want to change the Store Id. I have changed it throurg database (Store Table) in HQ and Store both side but after changing it stops communicating with HQ. Some having any idea? Thanks Check Configuration Table at Store. Ivan "NAVEED" <NAVEED@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C81FDAAE-25CD-49DB-A945-17FDC8D9F906@microsoft.com... >I want to change the Store Id. > I have changed it throurg database (Store Table) in HQ and Store both side > but after changing it stops communicating with HQ. > > Some having any idea? > > Thanks If yo...

Outlook: "Can not save free/busy information"
When I create any new tasks, reminders and events in outlook I get a little flash window in the bottom corner of my screen saying "Can not save free/busy information". So every time I restart outlook it loses my newly added items. I have tried closing outlook and opening the mail option in control panel and deleting the outlook .pst file and reading it but that did not seem to resolve the issue. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Outlook version please? Have you tried running Detect and Repair? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the gro...

Worksheets not retaining information
I created a worksheet "250" and then I clicked on approved, I reopened to look at the information because after I tried to run this for over an hour the worksheet did not go through in HQ Client and noticed that the information including the department were gone so there was only a blank worksheet, I tried to run it again and it keeps adding the department over and over everytime I tried and after clicking approve the same thing happens again and again. Also I tried running a different type and it does the same. Is anyone else having this problem? ...

VS 2008 Windows Forms project will not start
Hi I have created a new Windows Forms project in Visual Studio 2008 (SP1) - this is running on Windows XP Professional When I click the "Play/Start" button in the IDE to start the debugging of the project, the IDE responds by momentarily seemingly to start the project but then instantly terminates it without showing or loading the startup form. There are no compiler errors, no compiler warnings, and almost no code in the Project I have placed a break-point on both the New() of the form and the on the _Load event of the form and neither are hit. I have plac...

Weird problems on startup. Microsoft Exchange System Attendant doesn't start
I'm encountering some weird problems. On startup, Microsoft system attendant will fail to start, I've already tested dns and all that however, if I log in and go to services.msc I can start it up manually, so right now I've set it to restart service every minute on failure. Do you have any clues? I'm on exchange 2003 enterprise SP1 and Microsoft Windows 2003 standard edition. On startup: 1) The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service depends on the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service which failed to start because of the following error: The operation ...

Please help!!! Information Store and System Attendant does not start
Hello Everyone, I have a couple of questions. Friday my exchange 2k box crashed on the windows side. I have put the exchange hard drives in a new pc. I repaired the drive by running the windows repair and bascially had to almost install windows again. However, it comes back up at win2k sp3. I reran the exchange sp3 patch on the server. All my drives look good. However, the information store and exchange system attendant will not start. I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on why this is happening? Also on a side note I can not remote desktop into this pc which is weird? I can ping...