How do I setup an SMTP gateway / smart host for Exchange 5.5 internet bound mail

My current setup has a Windows NT 4.0 Exchange 5.5 server setting on our
company LAN behind a Microsoft ISA Server.  The Exchange server's Internet
Mail Connector binds to (I assume this is the proper terms) port 25 on the
ISA server for inbound and outbound Internet Mail.

Our company has finally upgraded to a new Cisco Pix Firewall which we are
able to setup a DMZ on.  The suggestion by our ISP is to setup an SMTP
gateway  in the DMZ and have our internal Exchange server send mail to it
destined for the Internet.

I am aware that most of the work for making the connections from the SMTP
Gateway box to our Exchange server (network related) will be done by our
ISP/Consultant, but how do I get my Exchange server to send it's Internet
bound mail to this new SMTP Gateway?

Once I get our ISP to change our MX record for all inbound mail to now go to
the new SMTP Gateway, how does this mail on the gateway then get to the
appropriate Exchange client mailboxes?  Am I required to setup a POP server
as will?

Note that I am currently in the process of configuring a Windows 2000 IIS
server for SMTP Relay.  Hopefully this will do the trick.

If anyone can help to point me in the right direction, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

0
rskinner (2)

"Rob Skinner" <rskinner@roadrunner.nf.net> wrote in

> I am aware that most of the work for making the connections from the SMTP
> Gateway box to our Exchange server (network related) will be done by our
> ISP/Consultant, but how do I get my Exchange server to send it's Internet
> bound mail to this new SMTP Gateway?

On the IMS there's a tab (think it's connections, not in front of it) where
you can either deliver outgoing mail directly using DNS/MX lookups, or you
can forward the mail to a smarhost - in this case it would be the IP
address of the machine in your DMZ.

You need to make sure that whatever SMTP server you use in the DMZ will
relay from the IP address of your Exchange box (this will probably the
primary IP of your ISA's external NIC).

regards
Paul
--
paul <at> spamcop.net
0

We have a PIX and it forwards port 25 at one of our public
addresses to the internal mail server address. Ever since
we moved our web site to an ISP our DMZ port has been
unused. It might be better to use the hardware somewhere
else or have Exchange configured in a front/end back end
set-up without figuring a DMZ into the equation.

0
anonymous (74722)
11/13/2003 10:04:04 PM
 P.S. > M$'s deployment guide can be a big help in setting
up FE/BE  ( Smart host topic too)

0
anonymous (74722)

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

Exchange in SBS2003 R2

junk mail filter doesn't work with rules?
Hello, I receive mail from many pop3 accounts and mailing lists. I use rules to organize the mail within my mailbox. One problem I am having is that the junk mail filter does not screen mail that is affected by the rules. So for instance, I get an email from some alternate account that I have. The mail comes in and gets picked up by the rule and moved to the appropriate folder. When this happens, the junk mail filter never checks the message. Only mail left in the Inbox is screened. Can someone help figure out how to make this work or does anyone have a workaround? I'd hate to ...

Outlook Send/Receive mail SLOW

Delegates for SBS2003 Exchange

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Setting up a new e-mail account

Microsoft Exchange Server

Replying to an Outlook e-mail

2 Domains, 1 Exchange Server

Duplicate E-Mail #4

RPC Over HTTP on Single Server

Exchange database forensic
I would like to know if I can with vbscript, and WMI access an exchange database and search for a specific string in either the subject field or the body? I would also like to know if I use exmerge to extract to a PST then use a script or command line tool to find a string in the message of subject or in the body I would also be interested in third party software vendors that can offer this functionality Please include a link if one is available for reference Thank you, John You might want to see if exmerge alone will do what you want: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328202/en-u...