Hosting SMTP Domains

I am upgrading from Exch 5.5 to Exchange 2003 and have the ADC running.
In Exch 5.5 I have a IMS  Connector which has over 25 entries in the routing
tab, either classed as inbound or routed to.
Some of the domains are for mailbox enabled users, while other domains are
for mail enabled contacts or public folders.

Do I need to create multiple receipient policies for each smtp domain. ?
How do I treat the routed to domain.?

Also in Exch 5.5 I was allowing - automatic replies to the internet - for a
specific email domain only, how can it be done in Exch 2003.?? This is so
mail can be redirected when out of the office.

I have looked at the article at msexchange.org.

Thanks
ARaji

0
rajia (10)

SMTP domain support is done in E2K3 using Recipient Policies.   I would
suggest that you create an additional RP with an empty filter (The
Recipients container is at the top of the hierarchy in System Manager) and
put in each of the smtp domains you wish to support  (and DO select the
"This Organization is Responsible..." checkbox).  Then on the email
addresses tab of the recipient, add in the alternate email addresses (other
than those automatically placed there by the Default Policy from Exchange
5.5).

HTH

--
Nick Cavalancia
MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI
"Raji Arulambalam" <rajia@ebopdotgovt.nz> wrote in message
> I am upgrading from Exch 5.5 to Exchange 2003 and have the ADC running.
> In Exch 5.5 I have a IMS  Connector which has over 25 entries in the
routing
> tab, either classed as inbound or routed to.
> Some of the domains are for mailbox enabled users, while other domains are
> for mail enabled contacts or public folders.
>
> Do I need to create multiple receipient policies for each smtp domain. ?
> How do I treat the routed to domain.?
>
> Also in Exch 5.5 I was allowing - automatic replies to the internet - for
> specific email domain only, how can it be done in Exch 2003.?? This is so
> mail can be redirected when out of the office.
>
> I have looked at the article at msexchange.org.
>
> Thanks
> ARaji

0
nickc1 (118)
2/25/2004 4:01:46 AM
thanks.

what about the routed domain. ie we receive mail for a domain and this is
forwarded on to that domains exchange server using their ip#. This domain is
internal. Would I create a new smtp connector ??

Also how to do out of office replies.??

--

"Nick Cavalancia" <nickc@remove-comsphere.com> wrote in message
> SMTP domain support is done in E2K3 using Recipient Policies.   I would
> suggest that you create an additional RP with an empty filter (The
> Recipients container is at the top of the hierarchy in System Manager) and
> put in each of the smtp domains you wish to support  (and DO select the
> "This Organization is Responsible..." checkbox).  Then on the email
> addresses tab of the recipient, add in the alternate email addresses
(other
> than those automatically placed there by the Default Policy from Exchange
> 5.5).
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Nick Cavalancia
> MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI
> nickc@remove-comsphere.com
> Comsphere - "Where Knowledge Transfer is Key"
> Web: http://www.comsphere.com
> Ph: 954.275.0114
> Fax: 954.791.6763
> "Raji Arulambalam" <rajia@ebopdotgovt.nz> wrote in message
> > I am upgrading from Exch 5.5 to Exchange 2003 and have the ADC running.
> > In Exch 5.5 I have a IMS  Connector which has over 25 entries in the
> routing
> > tab, either classed as inbound or routed to.
> > Some of the domains are for mailbox enabled users, while other domains
are
> > for mail enabled contacts or public folders.
> >
> > Do I need to create multiple receipient policies for each smtp domain. ?
> > How do I treat the routed to domain.?
> >
> > Also in Exch 5.5 I was allowing - automatic replies to the internet -
for
> > specific email domain only, how can it be done in Exch 2003.?? This is
so
> > mail can be redirected when out of the office.
> >
> > I have looked at the article at msexchange.org.
> >
> > Thanks
> > ARaji

0
rajia (10)
2/27/2004 2:07:19 AM
Haven't tried that - I would guess first  you would need to create an SMTP
connector setup with the foreign smtp address in the addresses tab and
"forward all messages to host" field set as the foreign Exchange server. You
would also need to add that domain's address space to the RecPol you've
already created.

This way, Exchange will take in the email (because of the supported
namespace) and will forward those addresses to the foreign host via the
connector.  Let me know if this works.

--

?
> > > How do I treat the routed to domain.?
> > >
> > > Also in Exch 5.5 I was allowing - automatic replies to the internet -
> for
> > > specific email domain only, how can it be done in Exch 2003.?? This is
> so
> > > mail can be redirected when out of the office.
> > >
> > > I have looked at the article at msexchange.org.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > ARaji

0
nickc1 (118)

SBS Exchange 2003 and Multiple SMTP Domains
Hi all, I'm running SBS exchange 2003, client of mine wants to have multiple domain names that exchange will host. Currently their exchange sever is hosting one domain (xyz.com) and they'd like to also host abc.com, abc1.com, abc2.com and abc3.com. How do I add/setup the rest of the domains to SBS exchange 2003? Thanks for you help in advance. Ed On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:53:05 -0800, "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >I'm running SBS exchange 2003, client of mine wants to have multiple domain >names that exchange will host. ...

HELP: How To Turn Off Generation of Secondary SMTP Addresses
Hello, I've got an exchange setup that receives mail on domain-a.com (primary SMTP) and domain-b.com, domain-c.com etc... This works fine, apart from, for every new user/mailbox, it assigned the user the primary address and all the secondary addresses. I'd like to have it so that only the primary address is created, and the secondary address are not. As only a handful of users need/should have secondary SMTP addresses, so it's easier to add them manually as needed. However, i can't see how i turn off generation of the secondary addresses, without breaking the reciving...

hosting multiple domains #3
Hi Im running exchange 2003 on a windows 2003 AD domain. I am trying to host a second domain on my server. I have created a group in ADUC and populated this group with the users whom i want to recieve the 2nd domain email address. I setup my email address policy and i search for this group based on the groups distingushed name. The policy runs fine, but only the group i created gets the 2nd domains email address, none of the users i put in this group do. Do i have to create another recipient policy based on a user attribute? this would mean that i would have to create two recipient policies o...

Exchange 2003 can't connect to SMTP on internal IP address
We have Exchange 2003 server no service packs. This has 2 IP addresses used for SMTP. We were looking to lockdown our Exchange server to only allow mail from our email provider. After setting this up we thought it would be better to do this at the firewall level, so we undid the changes we made. The changes were as follows: Created a global accept list Created a global deny list Created connection filter to an SMTP virtual server No reboot took place during this. When undoing the change we removed the IP list before the virtual SMTP server. This may have caused the problems out...

allow smtp relay
hi, we have exchange 2003 server. can some one please list the correct steps to setup the exchange 2003 server to accept relay emails. we allowed our exchange 2003 server to accept emails sent to tm.com in the default smtp virtual server - but it's not working .. not sure where the problem is... this is what we're trying to do: ie: up.com is main company email domain - exchange 2003 server is setup here; we have another domain: fb@tm.com for example - is hosted at ISPs email server. now - whenever an email is sent to fb@tm.com - instead of it going to ISP email server - we want ...

SMTP log link2state growth
Any one have any ideas about why SMTP logs would grow out of control with link2state communication? We have an Ex2k3 server that has had 3 instances where this has happened. 2 seemed to be associated with power outages. One was in our own building where Ex2k3 didn't go down, but both DCs did, and of course it was isolated from the rest of the world. The other power outage occured at another location that houses our organizations central Exchange servers. They are the hub in our hub and spoke messaging structure. The third time, happened when we brought up our old Ex2k server th...

Can't Email to Moved Domain
We had a sister company operating within our WAN. We hosted their mail on our single Exch 2003 server. This company was sold and moved off of our servers. We removed all of their information from our Exchange server. I have deleted all of their mailboxes, AD user accounts, any reference to their domain in the recipient policies, and any entries in our dns system for their domain name. Still, when we try to send messages to these people at their new location we get an NDR that says "The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail addr...

multiple email domain hosting
Is it possible with Exchange 2003 to host multiple email domains in addition to the Active directory integrated domain of the entreprise. To make that server a mail server for other company in pop3 only. I know in Exchange 5.5 it was possible but i did not find anything for routing domains in Exchange 2003 Can exchange 2003 host multiple other email domain without them being in the active directory ? Thanks Yes it can be done, Just make sure you have the DNS MX records pointing to your server/s, then either create a new recipient policy, or modify the default recipient policy. So ...

How to enumerate a domain group using LDAP?
I am trying to use LDAP to list the members of a domain local group. MSDN has an example: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180906%28VS.80%29.aspx I have converted the C# example to VB.NET. When I use VB.NET 2005 and try to run the example I get the error "There is no such object on the server.". If I look at the returned object "objgroup",(while in the debugger) it appears to not contain any data. I have tried several different LDAP queries shown below and get the same results. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Dim objgroup As Di...

Routing some mail outside the domain
I have exchange 2003 running with our domain receiving emails fine. As I am slowly moving towards getting people from the old pop3 accounts on an ISP onto exchange there is a change over period where I need to be able to send mail to the same domain but not in on our server. At the moment if I send an email to someone in our domain it finds the user and delivers the mail ok if they have an account, but for the people that don't have a mail enabled account I want it to sent the mail out to the old ISPs pop3 account that is still active. As a note I have set up mail forwarding to get the m...

Domain credentials prompt
Windows Server 2003 AD domain, Exchange 2003, OL2003. *One* user, and only when using *one* computer, is prompted for domain credentials upon launching Outlook, as though the computer was not joined to the domain. If she enters her credentials, OL works normally for the remainder of the session. OL profile recreated. Tried all Exchange authentication options. Unjoined/rejoined computer to domain. Nothing fixed. If user logs on elsewhere (profiles roam), does not happen. If other users log on at her computer, does not happen. Only happens when this specific user uses this specific computer. D...

SMTP connector #13
I have exchange 2003 and exchange 5.5 in the domain, running in mixed mode. I have installed SMTP connector in exch 2003 server. Can I remove Internet mail service in exch 5.5 safely. I am concerned because we still have clients connecting to POP3 in exch 5.5 server. they shouldnt be disturbed in sending/receiving mails. Also, SMTP connector is seen in exchange 5.5 server. Please advise. Thanks You can remove the IMS and SMTP email will go out through the SMTP Connector. And you should update the POP3 profiles to point to the correct SMTP server. If your POP3 Clients are point...

lift sender restrictions for internal domain
Hi Group! Is there a way to lift sender restrictions if the users sends a mail to an internal user. I have a restriction of 500 KB for sending mails - but the users should be able to send mail in their own organisation without beeing restricted. My second questions is whether there is a possibility to group such sender permissions. I only found two ways to restict - in the global settings and in the active directory user - what if I have to make 50 users to 500 kb and 50 users to 10 MB? best regards andy On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:13:41 +0200, "Andreas W�ckl" <woeckl@es...

Certain Domains are not being able to send.
Hi Everyone i have four domains that we can't send email thru. If you guys don't mind why would that be. I have SBS 2003 Premium. I have all the updates which includes SP1 and SP2 for exchange also i have sp1 for SBS 2003. I have certain domains that are stuck in queue. All the other domains that we send email messages are working fine. I just don't know why this is happening. I have installed GFI Mail Essentials. I am not sure what can be causing the problem for that we can't send email to the following domains: homelendingcapital.com socal.rr.com firstfundingcapital.co...

Virus Outbreak by using SMTP virtual server
Hi, The client was accidentally open approved-password.zip file then the nightmare began to spread out. It will use "system administrator" and "webmaster" as sender to inform the user that their password is grant or deny. Today, it tried to send out as NDR style. I assumed the virus on the workstation is using our smtp server. Will there a log that SMTP virtual server may generate so I can keep cross reference such as workstation or username so I can pinpoint? Any suggestion or recommendation will be appreciated. I am currently using Trend Micro Offican or Scan...

Huge Local delivery Queue in the SMTP Server
For the last few hours, the Local delivery queue on my exchange 2K server has dramatically increased (up to 126) and doesn't seem to be clearing up at all! This Server has been running for a long time without too many problems, so I may have accidentally modified a setup to mess it up! Any help would be greatly appreciated! have you looked in your application log? there might be some information there that can help you... "Philippe Altman" <philippe.altman@compass-angola.co.ao> wrote in message news:OHRNi93zDHA.2872@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > For the last few hours, ...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP Issue
Hi, For those interested, you may want to read the White Paper we recently released about the Microsoft Exchange Server SMTP problem: http://www.thinkcomputer.com/corporate/news/spamserver.pdf Thanks to Michael Barta at Microsoft for his help. If you think there's anything in the paper that could be improved or made clearer, please feel free to let us know. I'm interested to know how many people this problem is affecting... There seem to be a ton of threads on this newsgroup about it. Aaron Aaron Greenspan President & CEO Think Computer Corporation http://www.thinkcomputer....

event ID 7004 MSExchange Transport/SMTP Protocol
We have Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003 with mail flowing nicely in and out. Local domain is "companyname".loc so that Exchange FQDN is "servername"."companyname".loc. One particular Exchange Server repeatedly blocks my SMTP connection and triggers the following event ID 7004: "This is an SMTP protocol error log for virtual serverID 1, connection...The remote host "You" responded to the SMTP command "hello" with "550 - "servername"."companyname".loc...550-All SMTP connections from your server have been block...

How do I host email for two separate organizations on 1 box?
Hi everyone, I am currently hosting my company's email on Exch 2000 and I want to host another company's email on the same box. How do I do this?? I have tried changing the recipient policy but to no avail. When I want to generate a new user in AD, all I get is an option to create a user for already hosted organzation. I've already set up a separate public folder tree, Information Store, etc. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Can anyone help me?? It would be very much appreciated Riyat The simplest way I know is to add these accounts to your current ADS and Exchange serv...

SMTP Loggging
Ok, this has been troubling me for some time. With Exchange 5.5, you can enable SMTP protocol logging, and get a fair amount of info for t-shooting within those logs. In Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003, you don't get the same amount of info. Why is that, and is there a way to enable the same type of information that you got in 5.5 to be displayed in 2000 or 2003. I have enabled all the logging option under the logging advanced tab in Exchange 2003, but that doesn't give me enough information. Thanks, Dave "Dave Smith" <Dave Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Outlook 2000 and outgoing SMTP settings
I use Outlook 2000 for my company email...Incoming mail (POP3) is no problem, I cannot, however, configure the SMTP (outgoing) correctly...I have a XXXX@msn.com email address that I assume uses Hotmail...I've tried both smtp.email.msn.com & secure.smtp.email.msn.com...none work at all...any ideas??? MSN does not support pop and SMTP once you used it with web mail. Ol2000 does not support webmail... -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Expe...

Can you out outside SMTP addresses to an exchange Distribution list?
Help! I have no idea how to recreate our distribution lists in exchange. They involve SMTP mail addresses not in our active directory!! Make a CONTACT in AD and give it the external email address. Make that CONTACT a member of the Distribution List. Mat "Child" <dawg@alaskaSPAMFREE.com> wrote in message news:10d62q0i9lsuc00@corp.supernews.com... > Help! I have no idea how to recreate our distribution lists in exchange. > They involve SMTP mail addresses not in our active directory!! > > "Mat Sutton" <Mat@noreply.com> wrote in message news:u...

Domain Rename
Has anyone renamed the Domain/Forest that their CRM implementation resides in? My company has changed it's name and we have to rename our single forest-single domain accordingly. So far I've been unable to find documentation on this the rename process as it relates to CRM v1.2. Does anyone know of potential pitfalls? Any help is appreciated. i would advise you to be very careful. Renaming a forest is not a straightforward task. In windows 2000 renaming the forest etc would tricky at best. even on 2003 its not straightforward -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mi...

SMTP Error 7010 in Event Viewer
I continue to receive the following error in Event Viewer. Running Exchange 2003 and is the only exchange server in the organization: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeTransport Event Category: SMTP Protocol Event ID: 7010 Date: 2/14/2006 Time: 1:36:29 PM User: N/A Computer: ZNSSERV1 Description: This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1, connection #8238. The client at "<mymailserver_ip>" sent a "rcpt" command, and the SMTP server responded with "503 5.5.2 Need Mail From: first ". The full command sent was "rcpt TO: <my...

SMTP traffic when port 25 is closed
We have recently migrated from Merak to Exchange and most things are working pretty well. But i have some problems with some users that are using IMAP clients. The IPS for those users have closed port 25 in their networks so when the user wants to send email through our server he cant use port 25 at the smtp port in his mail client. I have tried to add a new SMTP virtual server and configured it to listen to port 443 but after adding the secound SMTP virtual server the incoming mail flow stops. Can anyone help me with a solution to this so the use can send mail through our server wit...